Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Shmup! Arcade (Final Move 4-26-13)  (Read 126726 times)

Hewskie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2018, 02:45:42 am
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Custom bootskin 10-15)
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2009, 10:35:14 pm »
hey Ryglore, I've been following this thread with a lot of interest for a while now, not sure if I've posted yet so first I gotta say what a great job you've done so far! I love the artwork and custom mala/bootskin layouts you've made. You're putting so much effort into making this thing look good it's making me want to start again on my cab! (it's been functional for over 2 years now, straight black with a boring mamewah layout)

But anyway, on to my point, have you ever heard of instant sheller? http://www.gameex.net/Community/InstantShellerandshellingguide/tabid/73/Default.aspx

It practically completely hides windows yet it's easily reversible. You can set it to boot straight into mala instead of explorer and when you want to get windows back up, just CTRL+ALT+DEL and run explorer.exe

I apologize if you already know all of this, keep up the good work

Hewskie

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Custom bootskin 10-15)
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »
Oh, awesome. I'm going to have to look into this. I can't get bootskin to work at all.... And I would love to hid windows as much as possible.

If you love what I've gotten accomplished so far, wait til I get finished with what I am working on right now.  :)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Tonight I began by taping off the lines to the artwork on the sides, and painting them with Behr Costa Rica Blue. I also test fit the bezel and painted it Black... it may need another coat. After I got home, I began playing with BootSkin, but I am unable to make it work, so I'll be going with InstantSheller like Hewskie suggests. While I was working on the cab, I came up with a new idea for an intro video, and being myself.. I had to take up the creative challenge.

The new intro features a quote from Fallout 3 and starts like a credit roll for a console game. Complete with my DigitalSomething.com logo and the Mame logo. The screenshots still scroll through and it ends with the SHMUP logo. I also took the theme song "Super Shooter" by Rip Slyme from the anime Gantz and cut it apart and rearranged it to fit my needs.

All in all, a productive day.

Fitting the Bezel

Painting the Bezel

Taped off sides!

Painting the lines.

Updated Video Intro (The music may change)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Painting Lines Begins! New Intro and Progress pics 10-15
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2009, 12:17:55 am »
That side is going to look sweet. Costa Rica Blue eh? Very nice.  I like the intro as well!  :cheers:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Hey. I don't pick the color names. :P

My main concern with the sides right now are having the edges peel up. But I plan on having a 1/4" overlay on the edges anyway. Which will make all the borders 3/4" wide total. So if they do peel a little, then I can just cover it with black and it should be ok.

Ya, that video turned out pretty good for my 2nd time ever using windows movie maker. 10x better than my first one, for sure.

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
I like the video, I'd make it a little shorter if it were me, but it's a nice job for sure.

Anyway, don't give up on bootskin, are you using stardock's bootskin? the program really enhances your boot up and lends itself well to instant sheller. I use the wild blueberry one from here :http://www.xpthemes.com/skins.asp?searchtext=mame&sort=Name&order=Descending&library=32

some great info to setting up bootskin here: http://forums.wincustomize.com/97764

keep up the great work  :applaud:

Hewskie

PS. can't wait to see those stripes

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Ya it's stardock's bootskin. I have my skin in the menu, but when I go to use it I was getting a "Windows did not start properly" error... I followed the tutorial on that link earlier and I dont know what happened.... I'd love to hide Windows behind a custom "SHMUP" logo start up screen. So I'll look into it some more for sure.

The plan is to make this things as "non-PC" as possible. I'm totally digging the instant sheller idea. I'll be looking up info on  Instant Sheller and Bootskin more tomorrow as soon as I can.

Ya I'm super geeked about seeing those lines too. It will finally stop looking like a giant white box! :D

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
I did some research on Instant Sheller and Bootskin. I think I have bootskin figured out and why it wasn't working. I still have to read up a bit more on instant sheller to make sure I have everything I need before I begin. It should be no problem, but to make sure I'll be backing up my Mala and Mame folders to my external hard drive before I begin, which will most likely be Sundayish.

Thanks again Hewskie! This will really help set off my cab when it loads up and shut it down!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Still can't get bootskin to work. I deleted the old file, and imported it via a .bootskin folder like it says. But when Windows loads it reverts right back to the default Windows XP boot screen. I tinkered with it for a while, but decided to set it aside for now while I compile mame .134 with the hi score and no nag screen add on. Since having a working copy of mame running is more important than the boot up process at the moment.

Any ideas on what to do with Bootskin will be helpful though!

Donpatchi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2015, 04:09:28 pm
I kinda wondered I have seen many people here making intro movies for there arcade cab. How do you do that as in to what programs you use etc.

Nice cabinet btw, must be hard to paint that art work.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
I kinda wondered I have seen many people here making intro movies for there arcade cab. How do you do that as in to what programs you use etc.

Nice cabinet btw, must be hard to paint that art work.

For the logos and quote screens I used Illustrator to make 4 still images of the logos/quote. Then I imported them into Photoshop and saved them as PNG files at 640 x 480 resolution. Then to make the video, I just used Windows Movie Maker, it took a bit of getting used to, but it's pretty simple to use.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Tape Removed, Light blue finished. 10-17)
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:13 am »
Lots of interesting things to talk about tonight!

First of all,I was unable to do much work on the painting side of things tonight, since my Dad had to use the saws in the garage today, and you don't paint while someone is throwing saw dust everywhere... It's not pretty. But I did remove the tape from the light blue lines on the sides. The painted never pulled up once while I was peeling the tape off, though some of the paint did seep underneath. Though, it's not a big deal, since I will be putting black borders around everything.

Next, I compiled a custom version of Mame over the last couple days and I am now running Mame .134u3 with the no nag and hi scores add on. I launched it, and the high scores work! With little to no problems or multiple rebuilds! YES! ... I'm excited. Plus it is amazing not having to press left and right on the joystick or seeing the little "Loading %" box before every game.

And finally, today I picked up some light smoke window tint. I like the smoked glass look and it doesn't hinder the brightness of the screen at all. I used Gila window tinting for household windows. Having tinted my car windows myself, I felt that it wouldn't be a problem to tint a piece of plexiglass. So I hopped to it and spent a ton of time making sure there were no bubbles or dirt specks under the film. I left it on the kitchen table over night to let it dry and I will trim any excess material off tomorrow.

Window tinting package and tools

A test piece of plexi in front of my Mom's laptop. To test visability.

The final tinted monitor plexi

I think now that I have the hiscore.dat file working, Mame and Mala are officially finished. Next up on the PC side of things, I will be working on shelling windows and getting my bootskin to work. And beginning tomorrow I will be painting the dark blue sections of the lines. I've decided to forgo the Orange crosshairs, in favor of a vinyl decal of a crosshair and the SHMUP logo for the side, I think it will look more authentic that way. plus I couldn't manage to make a stencil that I was happy with for the crosshairs. But with the logo on the marquee and the sides, I am pretty sure I will be removing it from the control panel. It's not really needed and I think it may look better without it.

Monday, I have a little order coming in from Happcontrols.com. I ordered a set of blue coin reject buttons for my coin door and I also ordered out blue replacement LEDs for the coin lights. As well as 100 of their .984 brass tokens. Originally I wanted to go with the 2006 BYOAC tokens from Arcade Replay, but I needed to push my order over the $25 mark... so I bit the bullet and got happ's generic tokens for now. Hopefully I can get the coin door lights wired soon, but you can expect pictures of the blue buttons as soon as I get them. :)

That's it for now. More work tomorrow, I'm getting closer every day...  :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Dark Blue Lines Taped and Painted. 10-18)
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:35 am »
Today I mounted the plexi glass I tinted into the monitor area and secured it in place with a stick of 3/4 trim molding along the bottom. The way my cab is shaped the upper edge is held in place by the speaker panel and the angle is such that it pretty much sits in place on it's own. But to finish it off and keep it from sliding out, I added the molding on the bottom. It's nailed into place with 3/4" wire nails, which means a little crowbar action, if I ever need to detach the monitor.

Also, today I taped off the dark blue sections of the side art and have started painting them. This color may take a while to get it fully coated though, which I knew would be the case with blue... it never wants to coat nicely. So I will be painting the dark blue sections again tomorrow night, and maybe the next day. I'm not sure, it depends on how it looks after the second day of painting.

After the dark blue lines are done, I will only need to paint the white stripes and the black borders around all of the edges! After that, the only thing left will be getting the marquee and CPO and the graphics will be complete. I am pretty sure I'll be using mamemarquees for the marquee and I may just go to to Kinkos and have them print off the control panel.

Speaking of the control panel, today I also drilled and refit my new plexi onto the control panel. I will not be screwing it into place this time, I'll just let the t-molding and the buttons keep it in place instead.  :laugh2:

Taping off the top

The 1st coat of Behr "Blue Ocean" Blue

Progress as of today.

I get super excited when I look at the cab, I almost can't believe that I've been working on this for 4 months.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:37:19 am by Ryglore »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2009, 12:32:58 am »

I get super excited when I look at the cab, I almost can't believe that I've been working on this for 4 months.

And rightfully so! It's an aesthetically pleasing cab and that sideart is going to look fantastic when done.  Just think how close you are to actually playing on it!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2009, 12:38:25 am »

And rightfully so! It's an aesthetically pleasing cab and that sideart is going to look fantastic when done.  Just think how close you are to actually playing on it!

Actually I am a step further back. To make the new CPO, I had to take the CP apart and I've decided to leave it disassembled until I get the artwork printed for it and put into place. I'm thinking I will be moving it into place and playing it in a week and a half, two weeks at most! :D

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Windows Hidden! Load Up Video! 10-19)
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2009, 01:55:48 am »
Yes, it's 2 am. And yes I am still up, but I was working on something extremely important. I have successfully hidden windows! The only thing you see when it loads up now is the initial boot up code and that's it! Special thanks goes out to Hewskie for this one, without the suggestion of instantsheller I would still be only half hiding windows.

It took a little bit of work to figure it out, but after I downloaded the latest .NET framework, everything fell into place. Of course, this video is sideways, since it's hooked up to my 20" Widescreen LCD monitor... but you get the idea. So without further adieu... enjoy!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Major Progress Update! 10-19)
« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »
First off, the little stuff. Today, I got my shipment from Happ. In it were two blue coin return buttons, two blue LED replacement lights and.... 100 brass tokens! As soon as I got home from work, I tested the tokens for fit and they worked perfect. Then I dismantled the coin door and installed the blue buttons. Once they were in place, I mounted the LEDs and wired them for 12v power, I may have gone a bit overboard with the wires for the 12v. But because I wire trailers for work with 16 gauge wire, I decided to play it safe and wire the 12v in the Cab w/ 16 gauge as well.

Blue Buttons and LEDs

Happ Brass Tokens (Not as cool as Arcade Replay Tokens... but they work.)

Coin Door w/ Blue Buttons

Wiring the LEDs for power

Once the coin door was set and out of the way, I painted another coat of Blue on the dark sections of the lines. This covered any light areas and I let them sit for about an hour or so. After which, I peeled the tape away! The only thing that needs to be done with the sides are the Black outlines and the white stripe in the graphic. I also have a little bit of touch up to do on the sides where paint seeped under the tape on accident.

Behold! Near complete side art!

And another view

When I got back to my apartment tonight, I gathered my PC and began gutting it and mounting it to the PC board using PCB feet and corner brackets. I removed any wiring and pieces that were unneeded, such as the front USB ports, headphone and mic jacks. etc. After it was all said and done, I hooked the boarded PC back up to my desktop monitor to make sure everything loaded up correctly, which it did!

This means that all that is really left to do is finish painting the sides and to order out the graphics. I think I'll be heading to Kinkos sometime this week and ordering the CPO. But I am going to order my Marquee from mamemarquees, Ultimate finish, with two pieces of plexi. :)

A noble sacrifice.

The PC gutted, and ready for mounting.

All PC components mounted in place.

IT'S ALIIIIIVE! MWAHAHAHA

Tomorrow I will bring the PC to the garage and hook it up, wire the 12v and ground for the lights into the harness for the Power Supply  and wire in the power switch to the pushbutton mounted on the top of the cab.

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
awesome, nice paintjob!
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:46 pm »
looking good, love the startup and paintjob!

Hewskie

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:37 pm »
awesome, nice paintjob!

Thanks Jeef! Ha, It looks better than I thought it would actually. :)

Hewskie

That start up wouldn't have been possible without you telling me about Instant Sheller. I'm sure eventually I would have stumbled onto it after it was all finished. But you suggested it at the right time, cause I was just buttoning up the PC and prepping to board it. :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2009, 12:26:58 am »
That paint job looks friggin awesome!  Turned out fantastic...how long before the bullseye targets arrive? ;)

And don't get me started on the blue coin doors...damn nice. Hmm maybe I should look for some green ones! lol
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:20 am »
That paint job looks friggin awesome!  Turned out fantastic...how long before the bullseye targets arrive? ;)

And don't get me started on the blue coin doors...damn nice. Hmm maybe I should look for some green ones! lol

Oh I'm not doing the targets as I originally planned. Instead, I am going to do the SHMUP crosshair logo on the sides. About upper mid-level. Maybe a bit higher than the hole in the side of your Aliens cab.... maybe I'll order those from mamemarquees too..

oh and you mean something like... These Green Buttons? hahaha and they have Green LED replacement bulbs too...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:33:53 am by Ryglore »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:02 am »
oh and you mean something like... These Green Buttons? hahaha and they have Green LED replacement bulbs too...

Sigh...ya like those...ordered :(

And sorry meant cross hair logo...I remember saying you were going to get them from Mame Marquees possibly just curious if you have ordered them yet or waiting for paint to cure fully first...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2009, 12:53:44 am »
Oh, no I haven't ordered any of my graphics yet. I have to double check my measurements on the marquee so I can modify the Illustrator file, and I've been focused on all of the other things I have to do, that it kinda got put on the back burner. I really should hop on it, I know for sure I will be getting the CPO ordered so I can remount my buttons and joysticks. But I'm fine getting that from a place like Kinkos.

The Marquee on the other hand, I want it to be nice. So I'll go with mamemarquees, and from what I've read they do an awesome job. Javeryh's review of them from doing his Bella arcade sold me on it.

I know a guy in town, now that I think about it. And I may be able to swing a deal on vinyl graphics for the side art, since we use his company a lot when we need graphics done at work. So it seems I'll be going to three different places for my graphics.  :dunno

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2009, 04:54:16 am »
Looking better and better!  :applaud: It would be interesting to see some close up shots of the side art.

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:25 am »
 :applaud:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:12 am »
Looking better and better!  :applaud: It would be interesting to see some close up shots of the side art.

Ya I thought about that as well. I'll snap some close up pictures tonight while I am mounting the PC inside.

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2009, 08:25:08 am »
This thing is great!  As I stated before a bit back, I love the art, and the fact that it is a primarily white cabinet.  It's refreshing to see a new take on a retro feel that isn't often done.  Keep up the fantastical work!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2009, 08:55:43 am »
Thanks Chicken!  :cheers:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2009, 09:12:27 am »
The things that I like the most about your cab are the shape, the fact that it's all custom yet looks authentic, you're painting the side artwork and it's non-classic white (very few white cabs) yet looks amazing!

I know it's not completely done yet, but you can already be proud of what you have done. Nice work, stand proud.  :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:52 am »
The things that I like the most about your cab are the shape, the fact that it's all custom yet looks authentic, you're painting the side artwork and it's non-classic white (very few white cabs) yet looks amazing!

I know it's not completely done yet, but you can already be proud of what you have done. Nice work, stand proud.  :cheers:

Thanks man, I am ridiculously proud of my job so far.  :cheers:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:33 pm »
Indeed a very smart looking cab you have there. :applaud:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (PC Mounted in Cab... Bugs to squash... 10-20)
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »
Well, first thing I did tonight was flip the cab on it's back and mount the new wheels. This was pretty easy with the help of my dad and a 2 wheel cart. I had a feeling that the original wheels wouldn't hold up, but since my dad is more of an engineer than I am I took his word for it... Here's how they looked when I pulled them off.

and here are the new wheels mounted in place.

After I was done with the wheels, I began mounting and wiring the PC into the cab. All of it was pretty simple, and I had no problems hooking up the PC power button to my pushbutton on top of the cab, or wiring the coin door leds to the 12v power. Though, I did notice something when I powered the system on. First of all, I have strange static sound that I didn't have at my apartment when I was testing the PC after I boarded it. Secondly, Last night, Mala played the intro video just fine. But after installing the PC in the cab, the video doesn't play, it just skips it completely... I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Plus when I was testing the controls out, and making sure everything was working. The PC lost power in the middle of everything, and I couldn't get it to work for about half an hour. Finally I unplugged the power supply from the motherboard and plugged it back in and it worked... I'm hoping it was just a bad connection. But I'm going to keep an eye on that as well. I know it's not getting hot and that the power supply was cool to the touch, so I'm thinking overheating isn't a factor.

After I got the PC up and running again, I loaded up mala and played a bit of Gunbird 2 before I called it a night. Everything seems to work, Pause and Exit buttons under lip of the recessed area, tokens tripping the switches for credits in the coin door. all the buttons and the trackball.... pretty much all I need to figure out is where the static is coming from and why the load up video isn't working. I know that if you press a button while it's playing it cancels the video, so perhaps there is a button input that is being pressed somewhere. I'll have to bring my USB keyboard to the garage tomorrow and look into it.

But! For now, take a gander at these sweet pics of the cab in (mostly) working order!

Lit Coin Returns

Running MaLa on the cab

View of the screen (No Flash)

Now, it's time for some much deserved "break time". Since I have no arcade things to work on around the apartment... time to load up some Galaga Legions on the ol' 360! :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (PC Mounted in Cab... Bugs to squash... 10-20)
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2009, 11:53:21 pm »
After a bit of brainstorming. I've decided that the problem with the load up video must be in my control panel. Considering I never had a problem with it loading up when it was a mouse and keyboard at home, there must be a crossed wired or something in the CP to cause that problem... must remember to look into that.

As for the static sound, I'm going to take another surge protector to the garage tomorrow and hook everything up to that. If that fixes it (Which it seems like a long shot at the moment) I'll be one happy panda.

ammitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2017, 07:22:09 am
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:09 am »

Hewskie

+1 :applaud:
Building my first bartop CAB

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (One Bug Exterminated. 10-21)
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:19 pm »
I didn't make much headway on the cab today. I spent most of the night working out the bugs that popped up after installing the PC into the cab.

First of all, the PC never lost power tonight, so I'm guessing it was just a loose connection on the mobo and that it shouldn't be a problem again. I even beat the hell out of the CP playing World Championship Bowling, which was what I was playing when I lost power, and nothing funny happened. So yay to that! I'll still be keeping an eye on it though, just to be sure.

The bug I squashed tonight was the problem with the video loading. I knew an input was being pressed, but I didn't know which one it was. So, to fix the problem, I reverted the shell to standard Windows (mostly so I could see my pointer) and I loaded up Notepad. Once it was up and running the number "6" started scrolling across the screen and after checking the KeyWiz schematics, I saw it was the Player 2 coin button.

So, I checked the connection to the KeyWiz, nothing strange there. I then checked my terminal block where the coin door wires and the CP wires connect, nothing odd there either. So I went to the coin door. I disconnected the "power" wire from the switch and the 6s stopped scrolling. I reattached it, and they started again. So, I tried the other prong and they didn't scroll across the screen. I then pulled the lever on the switch and a single 6 popped up on the screen.

Turns out the switches on the coin door aren't set up like the pushbutton switches, and that the prong that I thought was Normally Open, was actually Normally Closed. Upon swapping the wires, that problem was solved. But I still have the issue with static.

When I load up my PC the speakers give off a really loud static sound. But I'm going to deal with that once I get the cabinet into my apartment. Mainly because it could be something out in the garage. I know that I never had a static issue when I was testing the PC at my apartment, but when I brought it to my folk's garage it started.

Also I made a set of new labels for my coin door buttons. Considering I am using tokens and not quarters, I decided to complete the authenticity of the project by making a new set of labels for the buttons. I printed them on cardstock, but I may reprint them on standard printer paper so the light shines though a little better.

All in all, not much progress wise today. Tomorrow I hope to tape off the white areas of the side art and do a little touch up work. And I should be able to finish the painting section of the project this weekend if all goes well. :)

ammitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2009, 03:50:09 am »
Not that I'm know much about electronics or speakers, but I'll give my 2 cents on the static sound.

I remember one post with a similiar problem, that was because the grounding wasn't sufficient. He did some more grounding, and then the problem was gone.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2009, 08:55:13 am »
Not that I'm know much about electronics or speakers, but I'll give my 2 cents on the static sound.

I remember one post with a similiar problem, that was because the grounding wasn't sufficient. He did some more grounding, and then the problem was gone.

Hmm, I'll look into that. I'm not sure where I'd have lost a ground though.  :(

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Sanwa Balltops Ordered..... 10-22)
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2009, 10:28:06 am »
I decided to order out these Sanwa balltops for the joysticks.

I was going to wait on ordering them, but there were only 2 left in stock and I'd hate to miss out on them. So for the $20 + shipping, I figured it would be worth it to get them coming. Plus, once they are here I can start figuring out producing my own replacement shafts for the Happ Supers that I am using. It shouldn't be too big of a deal to lathe a couple sticks at work and custom fit these into place. I'm rather excited.

A couple months ago, I would never have thought that I'd have done as much custom work to this build as I have already. First, I completely redesigned the cab, instead of following the Lucid plans. Secondly I reworked the coin door and recessed it. And now I am building custom replacement joysticks.... What's next?!  :D

ammitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2009, 11:29:13 am »

Hmm, I'll look into that. I'm not sure where I'd have lost a ground though.  :(
Is your motherboard sufficiently grounded?