Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Shmup! Arcade (Final Move 4-26-13)  (Read 127676 times)

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:34:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Final MaLa Layout and more! 9-24)
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2009, 06:04:03 am »
It seems that your ROM file for that game is no longer valid. Did you update your MAME.exe and not the rom set?

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:57 am »
It seems that your ROM file for that game is no longer valid. Did you update your MAME.exe and not the rom set?

Not that I know of. The only thing I've done is move the Mame and Mala folders to another location on the hard drive. Then after that I noticed games not working.  I'm going to look into it some more tonight.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2009, 11:14:13 am »

Not that I know of. The only thing I've done is move the Mame and Mala folders to another location on the hard drive. Then after that I noticed games not working.  I'm going to look into it some more tonight.

You say you moved them to another location on your hard drive. This may seem like a silly question but are the paths different now that you've moved things?

Encryptor

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Painting Started and Rom issues. 9-27)
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:25 am »
Nope I changed all the paths, lol. I then moved them back to where they were originally and changed all the paths back again.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Painting Started and Rom issues. 9-27)
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2009, 01:48:25 pm »
I did some looking into it and I think it might be a parent/clone issue. I'll have to do some testing tonight.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Update. 10-1)
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2009, 10:44:05 am »
Progress as slowed a little bit, as a massive cold has taken hold of my family. I've been feeling a little under the weather because of it and not really felt like working on the cabinet. Also, I still have been having issues with games not working, and I'll be looking for another batch tonight to see if that fixes anything... all my versions are correct and the rom sets match my Mame version, so I am completely stumped....

On another note, as of this morning, I hadn't heard anything on the trackball i order from Twisted Quarter. It's been a week since I placed my order, so I figured I'd shoot off an email asking about it.

Apparently the blue marbled balls that they had received, where mostly all white and have little to no blue in them. As a result, they had to order out a new shipment and return the ones they had in stock. Which pushed back my order. Someone was supposed to let me know what was going on, but never did. But, Andrew emailed me back super quick to tell me what the deal was and even called my cell phone to talk to me personally about it to let me know.

All in all, a minor snafu. But great customer service from Twisted Quarter!  :cheers:

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2009, 12:15:14 pm »
Late to the party, very nice, just thought it was strange nobody mentioned the 4-3 button set instead of the 6 button. Neo Geo has some of the best Shooting games, and the 4 then 3 rows work so well for it. And its the single thing that I really (no really, I wish i had done many things different on my cab, but its the single most annoying one) wish i had done that i didnt.

One of the best original artwork cabs I have seen..

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2009, 12:37:23 pm »
Late to the party, very nice, just thought it was strange nobody mentioned the 4-3 button set instead of the 6 button. Neo Geo has some of the best Shooting games, and the 4 then 3 rows work so well for it. And its the single thing that I really (no really, I wish i had done many things different on my cab, but its the single most annoying one) wish i had done that i didnt.

One of the best original artwork cabs I have seen..

Thanks!

I thought about the 7 button layout in the beginning, but opted to go with a more "standard arcade" 6 button look instead. Mostly because that is what I am more accustom to from using my Hori arcade stick for my Xbox 360.

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2009, 04:07:56 pm »
I also was very nearly going to go the 4&3. Was actually going to do  3&4, but I only found one game that used the 4 in a row. I know there's more, but it's down to what you play. Also, my partner told me she wouldn't use her pinky in a game. So I'm actually going to configure the whole top for to be button 4 when I play Metal Slug.

Gutted to hear about the progress slow down, looking forward to seeing this one finished :)
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
Gutted to hear about the progress slow down, looking forward to seeing this one finished :)

Ya It was going to happen eventually... The worst part is I really wanted to get the White paint finished this week. But I guess I'll have to do it this weekend and next week before I take my mini-vacation the 9th - 12th. But I assure you it will get finished! I want to see how it turns out when it's complete as well.

My terminals all arrived today! So I am actually in the process of wiring the underside of the CP to the KeyWiz. The trackball I am getting is USB, so I am shelving my Optiwiz, and since the trackball harness has wiring on it for buttons I'll just run those wires to P1 B5 and B6. Can't wait to get that trackball in my hands and check it out in person!!   :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Contol Panel Wired! 10-1)
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »
I recieved most of my wiring supplies today, The only things I am missing are the jumpers for the terminal blocks. Using the terminal blocks just seems to make more sense to me over daisy chaining. Plus I didn't want to solder the wires to the microswitches and i don't like the look of piggyback terminals.

I'll have to check the P1 Joystick's Left terminal, it seems to be really close to the side of the box, but it looks like there should be enough room. If not I'll just bend the tabs a bit to compensate. All the wires are hooked up, except for the P1 5 and 6 buttons. Which will be attached to the trackball's harness using the "mouse button" wires. I'm hoping that the trackball arrives Wednesday or Thursday next week, that way I can do a little testing on the cab and play with it all before I leave Friday.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Control Panel Wired! 10-1)
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:44 pm »
Hopefully the trackball will arrive...I really liked the colour on it. Just curious on how you have wired the ground...I see multiple ground wires going into the terminal strip but only one ground coming out?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:18 am »
The ground wires go to the terminal blocks and there are supposed to be jumper straps connecting them together. But the straps were backordered, so I have to install them later. Once I get them I'll jump the terminals down to the bottom ground going to the key-wiz on either side and it'll work.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:53 am »
Gotcha, that makes sense then. That would certainly cut back on some crimping :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2009, 11:15:01 am »
Totally, and i don't care much for the look of soldered wire running everywhere.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (CP Wired into Cab, White Painted! 10-4)
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:15 pm »
Today I got a ton of work done on the Cab. First of all, I double checked my coin mechs and adjusted them to accept tokens consistantly. After which, I wired the coin switches to the Keywiz along with the Pause and Shift buttons. But before I began work on the Control Panel, I wet sanded and painted another coat of White on the sides of the cab. I then took a damp cloth and wiped any saw dust from the black areas. Maybe this week I'll be able to start on the Blue stripes on the sides. I am tempted to forgo the Crosshairs on the sides, it depends on if I can find a way to make perfect circles and triangles for each of them... I really want to have them on there, so I'll be looking into ways to make some stencils, etc.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Trackball Shipped! 10- 6)
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »
Last night I recieved a FedEx tracking notification, telling me that my trackball has been shipped and should arrive on the 8th! This is pretty good news, since I'll be able to tinker with it before I leave for vacation on Friday.

Here is a picture of one like it.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Minor setback and vacation time! 10- 8)
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »
Hey all, my trackball arrived today and I was able to get it installed no problem! It looks awesome and I will get a picture of it in place as soon as possible... (I forgot my camera at my apartment) I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for a little bit of a weekend getaway and so I won't be working on things at all this weekend...

Everything fit so nicely, but when I went to screw down the acrylic for the CPO.. I snapped it on the second to last screw. I even predrilled my holes, but I think that the screw threads actually caught on it and it cracked... so when I get back I'll have to get another sheet and this time, I'll just drill the holes over size.

Anyway, Hopefully I can get some decent progress done on the cab next week. This week was pretty much shot in the foot due to having to prep for a trip... I really hope I can get started on the stripes soon!

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:54 pm »
Ouch man, gutted about the acrylic :(
But looking forward to the new photos, have a good holiday :)
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:34:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2009, 04:29:35 am »
Why do you even need screws? You don't use the buttons to hold the acrylic in place already?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2009, 09:00:55 am »
Why do you even need screws? You don't use the buttons to hold the acrylic in place already?

The buttons hold most of it down, but when I was handling it, the corners would flop a bit. So I though I'd screw it all down. I think I may forgo the screws next time. Ha, oh well, this whole project is a learning process. :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2009, 09:45:33 am »
Ya, I wouldn't bother with the screws. Have the t-molding and buttons hold it in place.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:40 am »
Or if you really want to hold it down like that, I would suggest bolts instead.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2009, 12:06:24 pm »
Ya, these are a nice smooth headed interior screw. Usually a button goes on top of the screw head. But I've decided to just use the T-molding and buttons to hold it down, since the idea is to keep it as clean and sleek as possible.

2 more hours of work! It can't go by fast enough.  :cheers:

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2009, 12:51:48 pm »
2 more hours of work! It can't go by fast enough.  :cheers:

:D  I hear you on that!  I typically go to home depot at lunch to buy whatever I need for the nights work, and now I just need the day to end so I can do some real 'work' !

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »
I hear you on that!  I typically go to home depot at lunch to buy whatever I need for the nights work, and now I just need the day to end so I can do some real 'work' !

Double hear both of you on that. I just did my lunch break Home Depot trip ;)  Long weekend and a lot planned, can't wait.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2009, 05:40:06 am »
i would like to triple hear you on that but,i am such a lazy t**t and we dont have home depot here in uk so i cant.

man,i am such a lazy person,my bartop has made no real progress and i am waiting on my control sticks for my fbot conversion so i can continue on the cp.

your cab looks soo good,be sure to give us some vids of her running when you finish it.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Trackball Mounting picture and more news 10-12)
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »
I got back from my weekend trip a day early. So I decided to spend my day off from work tinkering in the garage.

First off, before I forget. Here is the picture of my 3" marble trackball mounted in the CP.

Today I started drawing out the lines for the side art on the right panel of the cab and I will start drawing the same design on the other side tomorrow too. After which I will start painting the colors on the sides. I've decided to go to one of my local sign shops and get vinyl decals made up of the crosshairs rather than painting them on. There is no way I'll be able to make a decent stencil for them and make it look professional.

I ran to Home Depot and bought 2 pieces of acrylic. One to replace my CP and the other for the monitor. I also picked up a 1/4" panel of MDF and cut it to size and cut the monitor area out. I just need to get some more Black paint and paint it as well as touch up the CP stand, since I scuffed it on the sides when I was hammering down the T-molding on the side I have already drawn the graphics on.

Other minor details I took care of today were mounting the power button on top of the cab and the switch plate for the light switch I am using for the master power switch.

I am currently fighting my roms trying to figure out why they have all stopped working. I redownloaded mame v.134 thinking that may help. but I got nothing. So, I deleted all my rom files and am now in the process of replacing them.... Even games that were working like Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Mr. Driller, Contra, all the 1942 series of games, Donkey Kong and Frogger have all stopped working.... I'm getting a headache.  :banghead:

InfraredMonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 02:03:16 pm
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2009, 09:59:12 pm »
I got back from my weekend trip a day early. So I decided to spend my day off from work tinkering in the garage.

First off, before I forget. Here is the picture of my 3" marble trackball mounted in the CP.

Today I started drawing out the lines for the side art on the right panel of the cab and I will start drawing the same design on the other side tomorrow too. After which I will start painting the colors on the sides. I've decided to go to one of my local sign shops and get vinyl decals made up of the crosshairs rather than painting them on. There is no way I'll be able to make a decent stencil for them and make it look professional.

I ran to Home Depot and bought 2 pieces of acrylic. One to replace my CP and the other for the monitor. I also picked up a 1/4" panel of MDF and cut it to size and cut the monitor area out. I just need to get some more Black paint and paint it as well as touch up the CP stand, since I scuffed it on the sides when I was hammering down the T-molding on the side I have already drawn the graphics on.

Other minor details I took care of today were mounting the power button on top of the cab and the switch plate for the light switch I am using for the master power switch.

I am currently fighting my roms trying to figure out why they have all stopped working. I redownloaded mame v.134 thinking that may help. but I got nothing. So, I deleted all my rom files and am now in the process of replacing them.... Even games that were working like Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Mr. Driller, Contra, all the 1942 series of games, Donkey Kong and Frogger have all stopped working.... I'm getting a headache.  :banghead:

I'm just a new guy, but I finished (not really) my MAME cab.  I was having issues with all kinds of roms and realized what version of MAME worked.  First, I did what Saint used in his Project Arcade which is v.79, audit and saw that most of my roms worked ok, then I went to v.13x and everything went ca-blewy.

I recommend trying a older version of MAME, then work your way up.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
Thanks, actually I got it fixed a little bit ago. What happened was my roms were packed for .134 and originally I had Mame .134 installed, but somewhere along the line I accidentally replaced .134 with .133 and it totally jacked everything up. So now, all my games work and I can continue to set up the gameslist and PC...

Now I just need to figure out why my trackball isn't working in mame and why I can't seem to map mouse buttons 5 and 6 to my P1 control scheme.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (PC prep complete, and bugs squashed! 10-14)
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2009, 12:11:15 am »
After a day of reworking Mame and reaquiring rom files, I finally was able to get the games to work properly. Also I played with the control panel to make sure all the player buttons and the trackball worked. I had a few minor problems getting the trackball to work in game, but after a little research on Mamedev.org I was able to pin point one of my problems. The mame.ini file had mouse set to 0 so I changed that to 1 and I also plugged the trackball into the PS/2 connector in the back, rather than the usb.

After i changed my connection from the USB to the PS/2 I was then able to map the P1 buttons 5 and 6 to the left and right mouse buttons. I was really getting frustrated with the trackball and it's buttons after all of it. But it all works now and tomorrow I can gut my PC case and mount the system to the board I have set aside for the PC.

Which means... I will have a working PC, and controls inside an unfinished cabinet. But really all that means is I can play arcade games while I am waiting for paint to dry between coats! Hooray!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Graphics, Bezels and Mala Finishing touches. 10-14)
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2009, 12:06:58 am »
Today after work, I finished up drawing the lines on the cabinet. I also fit the plexiglass to the monitor area and primed the bezel. I cut the new plexi for the CP Overlay and just have to drill the button and trackball holes and that will be all set.

After I got home, I began tweaking a few things for MaLa. I decided to make an intro video as well as a full screen loading screen rather than the little loading dialog box that pops up.

I posted the intro video on my youtube account. Which you can all check out It basically a quick run though of various shooter game screenshots with the SHMUP logo at the end. The song that plays is called "A Cold Winter's Kiss" by a local band call Besieged.

Here is my loading screen, I rotated it vertical rather than how the original file was horizontal.

Tomorrow I hope to begin taping and painting the stripes. And hopefully I'll get the PC completely buttoned up and mounted onto my board so I can install it too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:20:33 am by Ryglore »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:30 am »
I like the intro and loading screen. What is the voice you used? Sounds almost like Hal from 2001?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2009, 12:52:35 am »
Oh it's Sam Neil from Event Horizon. =)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:58 am »
Doh...of course!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2009, 01:08:09 am »
Ya, actually Besieged already had it sampled in the song, so I just needed to fit enough screens in there before the singer starts growling into the mic. :)

I think it works perfectly. Now if I could only get it to be higher resolution... sigh. But! For now, Mala is done. And my PC is good to go.  :cheers:

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am super proud of my work with MaLa, I would never have guessed a month ago that I would have made a custom layout like this one, complete with a video intro and a screensaver of snaps, etc. The program really did seem pretty intimidating at first glance.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2009, 01:17:15 am »
The video is down, and I'm uploading a new version, a little nicer quality.... and the right side up. Because, apparently when you set a video in MaLa it rotates it for the layout... so my video was playing upside down.  :dunno

EDIT: And it's back up!  :burgerking:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:21:13 am by Ryglore »

Honkyharris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2010, 11:28:06 am
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2009, 01:06:18 pm »
Sweet stuff Ryglore. I'm just going to be getting into the mala stuff here soon so i'm hoping I can exceed my expectations as you did!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:41 pm »
Sweet stuff Ryglore. I'm just going to be getting into the mala stuff here soon so i'm hoping I can exceed my expectations as you did!

Thanks! It's not that hard at all, if you need help let me know for sure. Next up for me is a custom bootskin so I can hid windows almost completely. =D

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Custom bootskin 10-15)
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2009, 02:52:40 pm »
After doing more research, I found a program called Bootskin. Which will replace my Windows boot up screen with a customized screen, without having to go into the system and mess with the system files.

I found a sweet tutorial on how to make it over on the WinCustomize Forums and started work on it. Here is a little .gif of how it should look like once I get it in place. I plan on making my desktop black and try to hide it as much as possible too. That way it seems like it boots up the cab, plays the intro video and jumps into MaLa.

Once i get the cab all set up and complete, I'll record a boot up video.