Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I guess I live in a horrible area to make a cabinet. Good online stores?  (Read 1643 times)

SephYuyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 am
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Home Depot, Lowes, and local hardware stores have striked out. I cant seem to find any hardware I need. Heck, I cant even find 5/8" MDF.
Aside from random google searching and using amazon/ebay, is there any single store that carries massive loads of random hardware?

What im trying to find so I can start my project is:
-1/16 slot cutter (though I guess I could order that from tmolding.com).
-50-60 tooth carbide tipped circular saw blade.
-Countersink bit combo (bit and countersink in one so you dont have to switch).
-2-flute carbide flush cutting bit for router (yeah, cant even find that).

And thats just the stuff for cutting out the boards and screwing them together lol. Speaking of which, whats a good screw type/length to use? I plan to use 2x2 lumber to fasten the MDF together.

While im at it, any other suggestions or changes to my list?

Thanks.

bungy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2020, 09:33:40 am
Re: I guess I live in a horrible area to make a cabinet. Good online stores?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:37:49 am »
What area are you in?  I'm in the Philadelphia area and could not find 5/8 MDF at any Home depot or Lowes either.  I had to special order it from a small lumber shop a few towns over.  I got my slot cutter from Harbor Freight, seems like it's the only place that had the 1/16" blade.  I'm probably going to replace it with a better brand, but it worked in a pinch for me.  HD / Lowes must have the countersink combo bit and flush cutting bit, that's very strange as those are pretty common things.  Try Sears / Sears Hardware or a local lumber shop.

I used 2" coarse thread drywall screws to put my cab together, but I was using 3/4" MDF and 2x4s.  I think those screws come in 1-5/8".  A lot of folks here say that using glue alone is better than screws.  I have not tried it, but I think it's worth consideration.

Why do you need the special saw blade?  I just used the blade that came with my saw (DeWalt) and it worked great.

SephYuyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 am
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:49:05 pm »
I think I managed to find a place that has 100 sheets of left over 5/8, so hopefully going to get that soon.
I found the website http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ and theyve seemingly good bits for about 13$ a pop.
The saw blade is just recommended for MDF, high tooth count and carbid tipped makes for a cleaner cut on it supposedly.
HD/Lowes did have the countersink bit, but it was a 'replacemnet' bit, and doesnt fit in a normal opening.
So drywall screws are good then? I do plan to use Titebond glue as well. I did a quick look and confirmat screws are recommended too? Though since im drilling into MDF into 2x2 wood, confirmat may not be as good?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:03:06 pm by SephYuyX »

bungy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2020, 09:33:40 am
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »
...The saw blade is just recommended for MDF, high tooth count and carbid tipped makes for a cleaner cut on it supposedly...
...So drywall screws are good then? I do plan to use Titebond glue as well.

The stock blade on my Dewalt has never made any jagged edges, I wouldn't worry about getting a special one unless you really want to spend the money, or your current blade is dull.

Just make sure you drill pilot holes for the screws first.  Think about holding off on the glue until you're finished, you might need to make some adjustments before your build is complete.  I know I had to swap out a few framing pieces because I made mistakes, if they were glued then I would be stuck (no pun intended).