Software Support > controls.dat

Unofficial Controls.xml Update - Preliminary Release

<< < (2/10) > >>

garwil:
It would be great to edit colors.ini from within ControlsDat too, although I agree that it should be kept as a separate file.

What would be really useful is to be able to edit the MAME Info bit at the top of the editing window. There are many games that have incorrect data in this section. Actually,  I guess it depends on how you look at it. They are correct as far as MAME goes, but during gameplay they are incorrect. e.g. There are loads of Taito titles that are listed as 4-player, 6 buttons, 8wayjoy + spinner. In fact, some of these games are four player, others only two, some use a joystick and some use a spinner. I'm guessing these games were all designed to run on one particular set of hardware and that's what MAME emulates, but it still means that when trying to filter games based on control type or number of players you get incorrect matches.

Also, what about catver.ini or nplayers.in? Have you got any interest in turning this app ito a MAME data files editor?

A-K, X-Z done!

garwil:
Here is the WIP version, I put it online in case of HDD failure (not that I'm expecting one but you never know).

Take a look, let me know what you think...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G6YH4V3D

Space Fractal:

--- Quote from: garwil on August 11, 2009, 04:15:21 pm ---What would be really useful is to be able to edit the MAME Info bit at the top of the editing window. There are many games that have incorrect data in this section. Actually,  I guess it depends on how you look at it. They are correct as far as MAME goes, but during gameplay they are incorrect. e.g. There are loads of Taito titles that are listed as 4-player, 6 buttons, 8wayjoy + spinner. In fact, some of these games are four player, others only two, some use a joystick and some use a spinner. I'm guessing these games were all designed to run on one particular set of hardware and that's what MAME emulates, but it still means that when trying to filter games based on control type or number of players you get incorrect matches.

--- End quote ---

This have been discussed in a another thread . It depend of the board and I guess many data just have pulled out of the incorrect mame XML.

Other examples is I remember was Galaga (not sure which game(s) it was) and such games which was detected as 4 or 8-way joystick by MAME, but in real use it only use 2-way joystick. I prefer how the gameplay works and not how MAME emulate it.

headkaze:

--- Quote from: garwil on August 11, 2009, 04:15:21 pm ---It would be great to edit colors.ini from within ControlsDat too, although I agree that it should be kept as a separate file.

What would be really useful is to be able to edit the MAME Info bit at the top of the editing window. There are many games that have incorrect data in this section. Actually,  I guess it depends on how you look at it. They are correct as far as MAME goes, but during gameplay they are incorrect. e.g. There are loads of Taito titles that are listed as 4-player, 6 buttons, 8wayjoy + spinner. In fact, some of these games are four player, others only two, some use a joystick and some use a spinner. I'm guessing these games were all designed to run on one particular set of hardware and that's what MAME emulates, but it still means that when trying to filter games based on control type or number of players you get incorrect matches.

Also, what about catver.ini or nplayers.in? Have you got any interest in turning this app ito a MAME data files editor?

A-K, X-Z done!
--- End quote ---

You can edit colors.ini inside the ControlsDat program, but before you couldn't export the data out separately. I have now released a new version of ControlsDat (v1.2.2) which can export colors.ini as well as exclude color data from ControlsDat.

As for editing the data at the top, that is read directly from Mame so it doesn't make sense to be able to edit it. None of that data is stored in ControlsDat anyway it's just used as a guide to help fill in the ControlsDat data. The Dip Switches data can also be used to help determine things like Cocktail and Services mode etc.

As for CatVer.ini and NPlayers.ini I think those data files are already well maintained so for now I don't think I will bother adding support for them.

u_rebelscum:

--- Quote from: garwil on August 11, 2009, 04:15:21 pm ---What would be really useful is to be able to edit the MAME Info bit at the top of the editing window. There are many games that have incorrect data in this section. Actually,  I guess it depends on how you look at it.

--- End quote ---

That data is direct from mame.  To change it, you need to change mame. :-\  If we complicate the DB (and maybe break many of the apps that use it), we could "fix" it in the DB without hacking into mame.  Stuff like a "disabled" or "notused" attribute pop to mind, but not sure how to handle the "physically/emulated 8-way is a 2-way in gameplay" type relationships.

We need the DB to mame relationships so the info in controls.dat can be used with and around mame.

--- Quote from: Space Fractal on August 11, 2009, 06:07:01 pm ---...Other examples is I remember was Galaga (not sure which game(s) it was) and such games which was detected as 4 or 8-way joystick by MAME, but in real use it only use 2-way joystick. I prefer how the gameplay works and not how MAME emulate it.

--- End quote ---

Galaga is listed as a 2-way by both controls.dat and mame's listxml.  FWIW, in old (pre 0.106 IIRC) mame, all 2-way sticks were listed as 8-way.

But yeah, Galaga88 physically had an 8-way joystick, and only used the left & right directions.  Neogeo games are the other big example: all came with 4 buttons, but most games only used 2 or 3.

If would be nice to be able to note these cases so queries wouldn't be fooled, but that would expand and complicate the DB and DB <--> mame relationships.

edit: headkaze beat me to much of what I said

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version