Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: QB1DABOMB (Jay's) Upright Arcade Project  (Read 49447 times)

GIZMOGAMES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
Re: QB1DABOMB (Jay's) Upright Arcade Project
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2012, 02:05:11 am »

that being said  how long have you been a member here  did you not do any research before building your machine
there is a site created by one of the members here that shows what not to do

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/
after looking at your pics most of your mistakes could have been prevented by just reading  that site

LMFBO ok ive saved that for future reference ie 10 mins when i do a roleup and make a coffee sheesh 7 am in the morn uk no sleep and they say computergames keep you up all nite it aint the games thats keeping me up its all this reading im doing haha :D
Future projects to be announced and probably TROUNCEd soon but hey its all a curve ball i think personally you could of saved the machine on one hand it would of looked SWEET but you wanted 4 players bigger screen and fun yes FUN and at the end of the day you have that welcome to the group being a noobie myself im sure to DOH DOh DOH many a time but dont be afraid to ask for advice tips or aid :) what you got for yr 300 bucks is a memory of what you created and the memorys youll gain from friends being around having a drink and bashing away at whatever game you set up thats all its about :D

myself i praise yr inginuity to get that monitor in make one hell of a surfboard control panel and above all complete it :) heres some advice get some vinyl for the top control pannel at worst get some cheap fabric :) 2 if you can rent a router get a 1/16 bit or a 3/32 those will fit a 1/4 or 1/2 arbor and the groove will fit fine for the T-molding believe me ive experimented with bigger and it aint pretty and no matter how much glue ive used it aint working lol :) also if the worst comes to worst see about a THIN aluminium strip :) with a few screwholes would work just as well :D and you can shape it around bends too :) food for thought eh :)

but anyways GRATS on yr first cab and WELCOME :)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:15 am »
I guess he will appreciate the bump but this definitely comes under Necropost  :dunno  If he didn't finish it by now he  never will.  Always check dates before posting  :banghead: August 2009 :banghead:

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:32:21 am
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
ugh, I really would have rather not been reminded of this one.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

Los Abrazos Rotos

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2012, 06:24:47 am »
Wow.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »
This one is always a fun read from time to time.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
My wife generally dislikes this hobby as a matter of point.  However one of her favorite things to do is rip people for their less than ideal efforts at control panels.

My favorite crack she ever made was in regards to the panel above.  She said, "Is that a control panel or Darth Vader's chest plate?"  to which I metaphorically spewed my drink across the room.

I wonder what she'd say if she saw this....

Edit:  Now I know "Is that nail polish?"  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:40:08 pm by harveybirdman »

Los Abrazos Rotos

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 03:48:10 am »
That poor old cabinet!

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:10 am »
missed this one in 2009

WOW  :banghead:

Living in a country where it's hard (and expensive!!) to get your hands on a classic cab like that, this makes me really sad. I assure you that people around here have restored original cabs in far worse condition.

:cry:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2012, 08:25:39 am »
I still laugh at the control panel. it took them 3 tries to get the whole thing in frame. Its so wide they cut the sides.....  :laugh2:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:37 am »
the nailed in t-mold always gets me!  :laugh2:

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »

OMFG... I really didn't need to see this, and now I can't un-see it!  :cry:

Seriously, I of all people can relate to the flak this guy got for "maiming" the Stargate... kind of.  My first potential MAME cabinet (and indeed my first-ever arcade cabinet purchased) was an Asteroids that was so complete it seemed like it was just pulled off a location and nobody ever bothered to fix it.  I spent weeks literally peeling off the sideart (75%-90% good, by the way) tiny bit by tiny bit with my fingers (um, heat gun? hair dryer? helllooo...) and the handful of collectors who know I did that probably don't think that much of me.  The idea behind Asteroids was that it had a HUGE control panel (well, bite-sized compared to this monstrosity) and very few holes already in it.  My plan was to do only ONE cabinet, and I wanted to include joysticks, buttons, a trackball, spinner, AND a steering wheel.  The front "nose" would have been a perfect place to mount the wheel, or so I thought... probably would have had to stand too far away to play any non-racing games, though.  I went so far as to install a standard wall outlet inside the thing, and when my budget collapsed (both in terms of money and space), I had to trade it away to someone who was probably none to happy with my efforts.  Even so, what this guy did went so far beyond what should reasonably done to a cabinet of that vintage it's disgusting.  I get that once you buy a cabinet, you start making plans for THAT cabinet, so it's difficult to see that maybe you need a different cabinet.  Yes, there are many people who would have traded him a less-than-classic cabinet, and I'm sure he didn't even bother to look, but I have to concede that he shouldn't necessarily be obligated to settle for some other donor cab if that's what he had at hand.  I will say that his JAMMA excuse holds no water at all, though.

What I don't understand at all is the enormous control panel.  Weight aside, it just shouldn't be necessary.  Sure, you want people to be comfortable, and I do remember Gauntlet as being a bit too cozy for my tastes, but honestly, what you've got there is a TABLE.  Find a few arcade sticks and an XBox and fire it up if you want to invite three homophobic friends over for a no-touchy gaming session... what this guy has done is like taking a Porsche and cutting off all except the seats because you want to turn it into a couch.  I know someone can do that if they want, but it doesn't mean we can't complain about it (the horror... the horror...).  Knowing that we all try to be as positive as possible around here, I searched desperately for some innocuous comment to make, and I was actually relieved to see that very few punches were pulled by the other posters.  No way around it, this was a HORRIBLE cabinet... the least snarky comment I could come up with was, "why do two of the joysticks have chrome shafts, and the other two black?"

Now that I've posted my projects, I see that others may point out similar flaws in my designs ("Dude... why did you not bother to even touch up the paint on your cocktail's control panels???"), but I have been VERY conservative in terms of modifying the cabs themselves, and am definitely working within the limitations of the original machine as much as possible.  Of course that means I've had to do two just to cover different types of games, but my goal has been authenticity rather than universality.  For example, SGM is vertical/raster/4-way whereas FLYNN'S is horizontal/vector/8-way/analog.  As hard as many people try to cram everything into one cabinet, there's only one thing that even comes close to being all things to all people, and that's called a console.

Anyway, I guess we need to be reminded of history lest we inadvertently repeat it.  :(

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »
Yeah.  It was a fun read...even back then when I was just lurking.  I have sympathy, but not much.  

From here:

to here:

It's all because of this:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

So, I think we've all been there.  But for me, I started reading here and saying OH,  :censored:.  I better up my game because what I'm doing is hack!  So, I don't understand how this build continued after the OP found this website.  But, then again, I don't understand how some people can let their friends go on American Idol when they sound like crap, either.   :laugh2:

I only hope the OP didn't give up.

AJ

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2014, 10:57:19 am »
Two year bump!

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2014, 11:06:11 am »
Two year bump!

Yeah, I see it. Yes, I still believe this is the most visually arresting thing I have ever seen. Good or bad, you can't deny this cabinet makes a statement.

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:07 am »
Two year bump!

Yeah, I see it. Yes, I still believe this is the most visually arresting thing I have ever seen. Good or bad, you can't deny this cabinet makes a statement.

My favorite thing about it is the nailed-on t-molding.  :cheers:

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:50 am »
Missed this thread the first (and second) time around.  Gotta say, reading this thread doesn't sting nearly as much as the one with the sit down Pole Position that was in good condition that was going to be turned into some type of multi-platform gaming system with a fridge in it.  In the end it was just cut up, painted black, covered in rope lights and then left for dead after a few weeks when the guy got bored.  Every time I see a Pole Position I think of that poor cab haha.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:06 am »
Missed this thread the first (and second) time around.  Gotta say, reading this thread doesn't sting nearly as much as the one with the sit down Pole Position that was in good condition that was going to be turned into some type of multi-platform gaming system with a fridge in it.  In the end it was just cut up, painted black, covered in rope lights and then left for dead after a few weeks when the guy got bored.  Every time I see a Pole Position I think of that poor cab haha.

Oh man, I never saw that thread! Link????

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:52 am »

Oh man, I never saw that thread! Link????

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,91545.0.html  :'(

Digging that link up brought back all kinds of painful memories.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2014, 12:01:41 pm »
Hah- I searched for it and found it after I posted. I even posted IN that thread back in 2011, but I guess I didn't read it.

Loved your 2-year bump comment, as well!

It's the two year anniversary of this thread.

Somewhere, a sit-down Pole Position cabinet is cold and alone, haphazardly spraypainted black and with random disjointed holes cut everywhere.  The roof of the cabinet bows under the weight of an unplugged mini fridge and random camping supplies.  Long discarded french fries litter the drivers seat, and printouts of dragons and AMD processors sit where the pedals once were.  It cries out for a restoration to its former glory, but no one is there to hear the call.  No one is there.

Rest in peace sit-down Pole Position cabinet.  Rest in peace.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:44 pm »
Hah- I searched for it and found it after I posted. I even posted IN that thread back in 2011, but I guess I didn't read it.

Somewhere, a sit-down Pole Position cabinet is cold and alone, haphazardly spraypainted black and with random disjointed holes cut everywhere.  The roof of the cabinet bows under the weight of an unplugged mini fridge and random camping supplies.  Long discarded french fries litter the drivers seat, and printouts of dragons and AMD processors sit where the pedals once were.  It cries out for a restoration to its former glory, but no one is there to hear the call.  No one is there.

Haha thanks.  If you want to get really depressed, you can read the "build" threads that he continued elsewhere after he encountered so much resistance here.  He didn't post a lot of stuff here, but the other thread includes his blanket doors (literally freakin blankets used for doors) and "plans" for a mini fridge, DVD holder, folding table, ashtray and A/C unit.  The worst part about it is that after completely F'ing the machine up, he just gets bored and forgets about it without even following through on his weird plans.  Read at your own risk -> http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/1980s-atari-pole-position-pc-mod.86827/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:21:39 pm by thatpurplestuff »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

Haha thanks.  If you want to get really depressed, you can read the "build" threads that he continued elsewhere after he encountered so much resistance here.  He didn't post a lot of stuff here, but the other thread includes his blanket doors (literally freakin blankets used for doors) and "plans" for a mini fridge, DVD holder, ashtray and A/C unit.  The worst part about it is that after completely F'ing the machine up, he just gets bored and forgets about it without even following through on his weird plans.  Read at your own risk -> http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/1980s-atari-pole-position-pc-mod.86827/

Wow. Thanks for the link. Gonna read it right now!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »
OK, just finished. That thread depressed the HELL out of me. Not so much for his harebrained ideas, but the way everyone was carrying on like it was the COOLEST THING EVER. That's what guys like Kaneda don't get when we're not impressed by his pedestal and they counter with "But everyone who sees it loves it!" Sure they do - they don't have an eye for what makes an arcade cab a cab. Maybe it's curse of ours, maybe we're just being ---Deutsche Frankfurters---... but this is why I think honest, constructive feedback is an important part of maintaining this hobby. What the guy did here and to that Pole Position... not good.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »
Mock Kaneda all you want, he's more famous and accomplished than Billy Mitchell.  Maybe one of you will dress up as him next Halloween and carry around a picture to explain your costume to people that don't care?   :lol

That was a pretty silly thing to do to a Pole Position, but nobody wants one of those damn things in their gameroom.  Looked like a reasonably comfortable masturbatorium to me.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »
Mock Kaneda all you want, he's more famous and accomplished than Billy Mitchell.  Maybe one of you will dress up as him next Halloween and carry around a picture to explain your costume to people that don't care?   :lol

Sure.. can I borrow your designer jeans and white sandals? Preferably the ones you were wearing when you almost castrated yourself building Rapey Kong?  >:D

That was a pretty silly thing to do to a Pole Position, but nobody wants one of those damn things in their gameroom.  Looked like a reasonably comfortable masturbatorium to me.

I'd trade the racer I have for a cockpit Pole Position without batting an eye.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:58 pm »
What exactly is Kaneda's claim to fame anyways?

Never mind. I keep forgetting that's that guys name.

**Shutter** what a tool.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:45:02 pm by ChanceKJ »

Viktory2k1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 03:23:56 am
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2015, 03:23:56 am »
I think this guy entered his last response and never returned, kinda make ya wonder.
If it ain't broke, It's probably a good idea to take it apart anyway!

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:32:21 am
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »
I think this guy entered his last response and never returned, kinda make ya wonder.

Kinda like when a guy with 5 posts dredges up a hideous mess of a cabinet.  Welcome back QB1DABOMB!
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »
RIZE, Zombie Post...RIZE!!!

AJ

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »
This is my favorite build ever.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:22 am »
I don't know why I always read this thread again when it gets bumped. Once i see the 2 x 4's I'm always like oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- here it goes. I do feel bad for the guy because he sure took a beating on this one, but on the other hand this place is such a great resource that you owe it to yourself to do a lot of research.

I think the thing that gets me the most believe it or not is just straight up painting the plywood panel with no primer. He thought everything was good construction wise at that point so why not put in just a few more bucks and a bit more effort to make it look smooth. I'm not even the type that gets really critical over paint jobs either as long as they are decent. I hope he fixed the cab at some point.

Edit for spelling

Chagosan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2020, 05:57:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
Man o man... Regardless of his likes i'm speechless

R.I.P Stargate

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2017, 11:16:51 pm »
I just reread this thread the other day. Don't ever change, ugly ass cab.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2017, 11:33:50 pm »
Wow!  Just subscribed to this thread!  Whenever I start to feel bad about my build I can come back and say "It could have been worse." Lol

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2019, 08:11:17 pm »
Keep on keepin’ on, monster cab!

Rahzel