Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: QB1DABOMB (Jay's) Upright Arcade Project  (Read 49146 times)

QB1DABOMB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2010, 06:55:11 pm
QB1DABOMB (Jay's) Upright Arcade Project
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »
I've been meaning to post this for sometime now.  Back in November 2008 my buddy John mentioned a posting on his intranet at work.  It was for a Snow Bros cabinet for $100.  He asked if I was interested - I definitely was since Snow Bros was one of my favourite games.  My father in law and I jumped in his van and drove the hour each way to grab it from the seller's basement. 

From there I learned of how to swap JAMMA pcb's.  I thought this was great so I ordered myself another favourite - Wrestlefest.  This was fantastic.  My problem was I realized I wanted another three dozen games or so and obtaining the pcb's would cost me well over $1,000!  There had to be a better way.

Then I discovered MAME (yeah, I know it has been around for ages, but I didn't know!).  The problem was the research - could I possibly put this together and at a reasonable cost?  I quickly started utilizing the byoac.com chat with my biggest help on the software side of things - khigh

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
Re: QB1DABOMB (Jay's) Upright Arcade Project
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:30 pm »
Khigh spent over three days working with me to figure out why the CPU sprites were running too fast on my MAME software (ended up being a direct3D issue).  Everything else for testing purposes ran fine.  The last piece of information I needed…how the heck do I wire everything up?  Direct thanks goes to delusional2971 on YouTube (link - ). 

Perfect.  I have all the info I need.  But I want to convert my 2 player, 3 button cab into a 4 player, 6 button cab.  Also if possible I want to switch my 19 inch monitor, which has major burn in, to a TV as big as my cab will fit.  MAJOR OVERHAUL.  I knew I had to recruit my father-in-law, Paul.  Unfortunately he mangled three fingers on his right hand on Christmas Eve …he might not be interested…

Screw that!  He was immediately on board!  I then set out to purchase all of the necessary tools.  The important thing to bear in mind is that I wasn’t out for style points here.  I wanted it to be functionally solid and look reasonable while keeping my costs to an absolute minimum.

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:06 pm »
For those interested here was a breakdown of my costs.  You have to remember you must estimate your own costs for anything I already had (or was able to get cheaper for whatever reason):

Original Cabinet: $100 - however I was able to sell the JAMMA board for $30 and the monitor for $120 – so the full cost is -$50
8 New ‘Player’ Buttons, 4 New ‘Admin’ Buttons, 24 New Regular Pushbuttons - $55
2 New Happ Super Joysticks - $15
2 New Ultimarc Mag Joystik Plus’ - $75 (I HIGHLY recommend these joysticks, they have a great feel and are very sturdy)
I-PAC4 - $70 (brilliantly designed and incredibly user friendly)
Used 27 Inch TV (kijiji) - $30
Wood for Bracing - $5
Screws - $10
Hole Driller Bit - $10
Paint - $40
New T-Molding - $15
Wood Filler - $5
Wiring Kit from Ultimarc - $20
Additional Wiring - $5
S-Video Cable - $10
All Additional Wood Needed – Free (found either at my house or Paul’s)
Computer – Free (I took my friend Tim’s broken computer, fixed it, then used my old one for the cab)
All in Cost - $315 – not too damn shabby!  =o)  (though this ignores the expected cost of $70 for a custom designed marquee currently being designed by Vlad and Scott at mamemarquees.com)

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:59:47 pm »
I found the best way to tell the story of the physical construction was through renaming the pictures I am uploading.  Needless to say it took a lot longer than first anticipated but it was incredibly fun working with Paul many a weekends and evenings getting this thing together.  It took us about three months.

Once the physical construction was completed I had to set out to fully get the software working the way I wanted.  I figured that would be the easy part…yeah, you can stop chuckling to yourself now.  I wanted to be able to play not only MAME but all of the old consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System), DAPHNE for all the laserdisc games, and Dance with Intensity (Dance Dance Revolution for the computer). 

First step to get that to happen – I needed DAPHNE to work at all, which I found very confusing.  Thankfully “Huggybaby” from Underground-gamer.com went out of his way to log on to my computer to set it all up for me.  Talk about luck.  However I still needed to figure out how to program a front-end to get all of this to run properly.  Here I went back to khigh.  He logged onto my computer on a few different occasions.  He helped me, in time, and managed to get all of the programs running including DAPHNE, which was no easy chore.  He used MALA, for anyone interested.

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:03:58 pm »
So there’s my cab.  Again I can’t thank those who helped me enough.  Without Paul, khigh, huggybaby, and delusional2971, and Adam (Ultimarc) this never would’ve came to fruition.  My apologies to the purists out there who are angry I gutted an original 1981 Stargate cab to make my creation (and are also not happy that my screen size leaves virtually no room for a bezel).  Either way I look forward to the countless hours that me, my friends, and my family will surely enjoy playing on this cab.  If I could give any advice it would be to plan everything in advance and don’t ever think you can’t do it – there’s always someone that will be able to help you if you look hard enough.  **Footnote: khigh also just helped with the photo compression to get these pics uploaded!

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:08:52 pm »
To answer what I presume are upcoming questions:

A)  Yes, I plan on a control panel overlay and side art in the near future

B)  No, I didn't want a trackball.  I always hated those damn things and there was no way my cab was going to have one!

clickhea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:33:40 am
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:44 am »
that has to be one of the biggest control panels i ever seen

solid187

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2021, 02:55:43 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:01 am »
...what he said.

PeteDiak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2012, 10:02:42 pm
    • minimulti game
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:01 am »
.....what he said +1
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:47:05 am by PeteDiak »
Projects
Miss Pac Man Cocktail (Finished)
Mini Multi Game (Finished)

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:20:45 am »
Starting to get a complex that no one is impressed with anything but the size of the control panel...   :embarassed:

In any event the control panel was just over 48" x 24" for anyone interested.  I know most people just build a 2 player panel but I wanted to be able to play 4 player games if I wanted to!

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:08:25 am »
you could sleep on that thing.
 :dizzy:

tomdotcom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2014, 11:55:56 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:51 am »
omg that is crazy big hahahah.. :laugh2:
=-= Pins: Fishtales, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Revenge from Mars, Skateball =-=

=-= Custom Mame cab =-=

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:14 am »
in the finished picture, the computer is outside of the arcade. Is that how your going to keep it?

As an FYI QB1, lots of people here prefer to keep their cabinets as original as possible. You'll hear many of them say that you should've found a larger cabinet to mame (an original 4 player cabinet for example).

Enjoy your cabinet. 

bryan95502

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2023, 04:39:36 pm
    • Ebay Store
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:47 am »
Wow

Cant believe the work put into that for it to turn out like that

Try usung a more suitable cab next time.. If anything the Stargate should have been a Multi-Williams theme.

Think about buying some laminate for your surfaces. Painted plywood looks aweful and wont last.

No need for all that surface for just 4 player controls..or 10 player controls.. overkill

just my 2 cents..  ;D

Too many projects to list.. =)

Sylpher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2009, 12:18:44 pm
    • Sylpher's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
Well... it certainly is roomy!

To give more constructive criticism then some have been able to muster. It looks like the molding around the edge was nailed on, giving those dimples? Which is different, I guess, but any reason you didn't simply glue it? Alternatively if you nailed them specifically for the dimple look keeping them at a uniform width would be a huge improvement (one every 6 inches, for example). As it is now with the random spacing makes it very noticeable.

(EDIT: Oops, disregard this part. I did not see the extra support you added at first.)
The control panel itself is obviously unusually large! I hope you have tested its balance a good amount and made sure if too much weight is applied it won't snap off or cause the cabinet to tip? 4 people leaning on it can apply more weight than people would at first assume, and the last thing you want is anyone getting hurt while gaming!

Lastly, with such a large panel surface are you planning to do anything with the extra real estate? Routing out some cup holders or something for each player would be a nice convenience!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:17:52 pm by Sylpher »

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »
Why didn't you just build the thing out of mdf or plywood...would have been less work than cutting up that nice stargate.

You're going to take a lot of flak for this.   I assume the RGVAC crowd hasn't caught wind of this yet or there would be 200 posts in here. 

Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 12:39:56 pm »
Starting to get a complex that no one is impressed with anything but the size of the control panel...   :embarassed:

In any event the control panel was just over 48" x 24" for anyone interested.  I know most people just build a 2 player panel but I wanted to be able to play 4 player games if I wanted to!

I'll come out and say what others are thinking...

You took a classic arcade cabinet and made it into a Monstrosity...   :'(
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

beerbarrel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 03:42:51 pm
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 01:00:51 pm »
HOLY CRAP!  ... that front porch actually takes #1 spot away from this guy...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 01:11:45 pm »
 :laugh2:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:35 pm »
OK... all kidding aside.  I have a few questions:

(A) Why destroy a classic Stargate arcade cabinet when there are those who would have traded  you for a nice JAMMA cab?

(B) Why make the panel so deep if you're not adding a trackball?  The purpose for folks making deep control panels is so their hands don't hit the monitor glass when they are playing trackball games like Golden Tee... or they are so deep to accommodate a wide variety of controller devices,  you have four 6-button positions (which in itself is unnecessary as I doubt you could point out a single game that uses 6 buttons on the player 3 and 4 position... 4 is all you needed).

(C) Why make the panel out of 2x4's?  That has got to be HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY?  There is much much much better construction materials to use than 2x4's an plywood?!

(D) Why is your T-Molding nailed down?

(E) I guess the game is in the room it's going to be in because I don't see how you're going to get that thing through a doorway?!

(F)  Again,  I have to go back to the DEPTH of the panel... look at the parts you've included... you could easily cut off 12" from that panel and had plenty of room... why the decision to go so deep?

(G) If you set a cup of coffee on the end of the panel,  will it tip the machine or did you attach some sort of counterweight to balance out the hundreds of pounds of lumber that is hanging off the front? (alright...I had to throw ONE kidding question in the group).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:34:18 pm by FrizzleFried »

hatrick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »
poor, poor Stargate cab.  :cry:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
Best use of a gutted Stargate cab:

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »
Man you guys are tough!  It's definitely not something I'd build but if an extra (extra) large CP makes him happy then so be it.  I definitely wish he used a generic cab though.  That Stargate could have been saved!

Frizzle has some good questions though and I'd also like to know the thought process behind some of the design decisions.  Even if it isn't aesthetically pleasing maybe some decisions were based on functionality??

Deadly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 01:49:55 pm »
Where does a person even start?  :dunno
I'll apologize for the honesty/butality right now.
I'm a purist which doesn't help my opinion so I start with sacrilege. You have unknowingly just sentenced this cab to an early death in the landfill.
You took a classic cabinet that should've been sold or traded to acquire a large JAMMA cabinet to fit this attempt at a world record for the largest control panel setup that you made. JAMMA cabinets are a dime a dozen. This cabinet is not.
You put the very basic of controls into this CP. You have an incredibly huge amount of wasted and unecessary space that is pointless unless you plan on cutting holes into it and stapling lawn chair beer holder nets underneath. Even then you still have a ton of wasted space.

It's hard to give you any props on this project to be brutally honest. I also have a MAME machine 4 player CP machine that I put together. The top piece was CNC'd for $45 shipped by Scott Glazier. It houses 5 joysticks, 4 of which are 7 button, a spinner and trackball. Also two pause buttons and two buttons on each side of the trackball. All of which fit nicely on the CP. Not much space is needed to accomplish this. (It basically looks like the Slikstik quad CP)

I'm sorry to say this project was an epic fail. I do however commend you for being man enough to post this.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »
Look at it this way. You got some really good experience putting together a CP and altering a cab.

And you've now got some constructive ideas (and then some) about how you might do things a bit differently on your next cab.

Bottom line, ya gotta start somewhere. What you've got is playable, so, what the hell. Use it as a learning experience and have fun playing while you build v2!

jow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 02:07:07 pm »

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 03:03:49 pm »
Wow, kind of depressed by the feedback.   :hissy:

I know everyone would be cheesed at the destruction of an original Stargate cab.  In my defense it was already desecrated by the last to play with it by modifying it to a JAMMA standard holding a Snow Bros PCB.

The nails I may end up changing.  The reality was I couldn't use my 3/4 t-molding to fit in the groove.  We tried gluing but it didn't work.  I was considering ordering some 1 inch mold...before the raping in this feedback.

I'm surprised by everyone's comments on the spacing.  If everyone is referring to the spacing between the player buttons and the game controls there are two thoughts:
1)  In order to properly play on the 27 inch screen you need to be that far away
2)  We are considering a couple of cup-holders
3)  I love the fact all four players can play without being huddled together like you would be on some original four player cabs

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 03:11:38 pm »
If I had known I could've traded for an original four player cab I definitely would've gone that route.  Trust me there was no shortage of effort to 'bastardize' the Stargate. 

I know four buttons are only needed for players 3 & 4, however I wanted to be able to use it for six button console games too.  I'm not sure if I'll end up using the arcade controls for that or just purchase some USB controllers but I wanted to have the opportunity.

The game IS in the room it is going to stay in.  The CP can be relatively easily disassembled if I ever wanted it out of the room. 

The weight in the front is actually counteracted by the weight of the TV.  The rest of the wood is actually not that heavy...

And of course the computer will be housed in the cab when moved against the north wall.

QB1DABOMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »
Either way I appreciate the honest feedback and will take it into consideration if I ever consider adjusting this cab or creating another one.  My only hope is that khigh doesn't get too depressed when he sees the feedback tonight.   :cry:

I'll tell you one thing though; constructive or even forceful feedback is one thing...but for Deadly's last comment I say  :censored: you  :censored: head.  I tried.   :dunno

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
Snow Bros -->

Not Snow Bros -->

Ain't right -->
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:52:36 pm by Namco »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 03:33:22 pm »
Is Snow Bros. a Pac-Man conversion?  I've never seen a cab in person - that artwork is sweet.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »
first of all, i say congrats on your first mame cabinet.

i think you made a few design choices that i wouldn't have made, but ultimately it is your cabinet.  And, if you ask anyone here, they will tell you that your cabinet is not done.  It is up, working and playable, but just like everyone else, you will find things that you would like to change, and you will have learned from the previous build on how to do things better in the future.  you have a working mame cabinet, which is cool, and no doubt will impress your friends.  

personally, i would have taken a little more time on the aesthetics of the cabinet.  it is amazing how much of a differnce a little sanding and detail work can make a big difference in the way your cabinet looks.  don't let everyone's harsh comments discourage you...not everyone has the woodworking skills and proper tools to pull off some of the amazing looking cabinets that show up on this site.    next time, i'd try to eliminate some of the wasted space and perhaps downsize the control panel, as well as spend a little more time making smooth seems.  perhaps look into some actual tmolding that you wouldnt have to nail on.  i avoided it on my cabinet for a while, and i wish i wouldnt have, it really made a difference.

enjoy  your cabinet
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

bryan95502

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2023, 04:39:36 pm
    • Ebay Store
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
Ain't Right is... RIGHT.. Jeez

The KLOVers are having a blast with this one!
Too many projects to list.. =)

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 03:42:02 pm »
LOL forgive my last post, just poking fun, no need to feel down on our criticism. Killing a Stargate (that was bound for a landfill anyway) aside I think a lot of the issue comes from the finish of the project. Sanding, filler, primer, semi-gloss paint, a sponge roller, a bezel, a router to cut a t-molding groove, and artwork would've gone a long way to squelch a lot of the criticism here. If it wasn't a classic game cabinet OR if you spent more time & money on it OR didn't put a frankenpanel on it, and it would have been okay. But cutting a classic AND fail on execution and you get the criticism.

You can still improve it by putting a bezel around the monitor, cleaning up the paint and t-molding situation, and giving it a cool name like "USS Enterprise" and you'll get some good results.

But as long as you have fun with it, that's all that counts, right?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:44:40 pm by Namco »

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 04:15:03 pm »
Ouch, you built a Maim cab, not a Mame cab. Seriously though, just take all this criticism with a grain of salt, and perhaps next time you'll be able to improve your design. You might even want to try your hand at building from scratch, it's not that much more work than what you appear to have put into this one.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:27 pm »
Best use of a gutted Stargate cab:

Thanks Spyridon... but even I would have stuck with the stock Stargate side art if my cabs sides looked like what his did originally.  I went black basically because it was already black (and yellow before that...and blue at some time...and...)

slasherman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 03:53:37 am
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 04:36:24 pm »
edit...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:42:27 pm by slasherman »

PCMedics

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2013, 12:28:12 am
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »
I say you paid for it you built it enjoy it ! Not everyone builds a toy which is what these are to impress others:)

prOk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2015, 08:29:34 pm
  • www.rgvac.com
    • Brian's Classic Arcade
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:43 pm »
 Only suggestion i'd make is that you clearly are aware of byoac, next time around I'd read a lot more of what's on the site before starting another build :)