Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY  (Read 75810 times)

Honkyharris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2010, 11:28:06 am
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [11-24-09 - HUGE update... IT IS ALIVE!!!]
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2009, 09:10:43 am »
Gamester,

First things first, your project turned out amazing! Great work and also a great guide. I do have a question regarding your artwork. You said you ordered from Fullsizeposters.com which is great cause their pricing is good. So does it come as a thin sheet of high quality paper then? Obviously their is some level of error in cutting dimensions for the actual CP itself, how did you make your artwork fit so well? Did you just oversize the artwork a hair and then use a exacto knife or something to trim the edges? You also mentioned you used a piece of acrylic on top of your artwork, how thick was it and was it easy to work with? Also, did you order your marquee from the same website and sandwhich it between pieces of acrylic yourself?

Any insight would be appreciated as I'm nearly ready to order mine!

Thanks,
Honkyharris

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »
First things first, your project turned out amazing! Great work and also a great guide.

Thanks!

I do have a question regarding your artwork. You said you ordered from Fullsizeposters.com which is great cause their pricing is good. So does it come as a thin sheet of high quality paper then?

It is printed on high quality archival photo paper.  I would not categorize it as "thin" by any means.  It's fairly heavy duty stuff.

Obviously their is some level of error in cutting dimensions for the actual CP itself, how did you make your artwork fit so well? Did you just oversize the artwork a hair and then use a exacto knife or something to trim the edges?

Yes, I designed the artwork to go an inch or so beyond the shape of the CP.  Then I sandwiched it between the CP and the clear top and carefully trimmed all the holes and the sides with an Xacto knife.  When doing the button holes, I found it's best to work from one side of the CP to the other, and place buttons in the holes as you cut them, to keep the overlay from shifting during the process.  Once all the holes were cut, and everything was secure with the buttons, I then cut off the excess around the outside edge.

You also mentioned you used a piece of acrylic on top of your artwork, how thick was it and was it easy to work with?

The top was actually cut for me my another member on this forum (Knievel), but I know that with the proper tools/bits and a router, it is not difficult to work with at all.

Also, did you order your marquee from the same website and sandwhich it between pieces of acrylic yourself?

I actually ordered the Marquee from Scott at MameMarquees.com.  He has a printing option called "Ultimate" which is printed on backlit vinyl, and he also cuts the plexi to match.  However, it's not terribly difficult to cut your own plexi.  I was getting anxious to get it finished and didn't feel like hassling with cutting my own.  

His service is not cheap, but he does a good job.  If you want a less expensive option, you could also have your marquee printed at Fullsizeposters.com.  The lighting properties of the photo paper are probably not going to be as good as a backlit film or vinyl, but I know many people have gotten very acceptable results going that route.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:01:26 pm by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Kman-Sweden

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2009, 03:11:31 am »
 :applaud:
Nice work. The crome t-mold looks killer.

Alcathiax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2009, 11:32:59 am
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2009, 11:43:01 am »
I know you said you had the side lights just sitting around...any clue where you got them...or where I could find them?

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:57 pm »
Nice work. The crome t-mold looks killer.

Thanks Kwan-Sweden!  I was a bit torn at first as to whether I should do the chrome, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I don't think chrome suits every cab, but with the paint finish and the other "bling" on this cab, it all seems to work well together.

I know you said you had the side lights just sitting around...any clue where you got them...or where I could find them?

Alcathiax, if you do a search on eBay for "luminglas" you will see lots of shapes and sizes that you can choose from.  Had some of these shapes been available when I purchased mine originally, I might have considered doing something other than round.  Luminglas can be a bit pricey though.  You can easily spend $100 or more for a pair of them.  

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:38:32 pm by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:50 pm »
Hey Alcathiax,

I purchased my 12" blue lumins from buy.com.  It ran about $130.00 total, shipping included.  They shipped fast and packaged appropriately.

They do come in all shapes and sizes now 4" 6" 12" 16" 20", as Gamester said they get pretty pricey after the 6".

I think Amazon.com has them, and any party rave website.

Gamester,

Man I though I was being innovative, I read your thread and got my bubble busted when I saw your lumins.....Great work man....Oh yes, and I will be attempting that awesome paint work.  Love it.....Just wish i could find that metallic with blue flakes in it..........

Here is my contraption

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=96162.0

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
Finally got around to reading this entire thread! Unbelievable! Fantastic cab! My next build, I'm dumping laminate and try to match that finish! The pic with the chairs reflecting is crazy!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2009, 09:45:25 pm »
My next build, I'm dumping laminate and try to match that finish! The pic with the chairs reflecting is crazy!

Paint finishes can be fantastic like this one...but laminate is pretty darned nice.  I guess it comes down to what you prefer. If you like a gloss or semi-gloss look then painting is the way to go..but for a flat/matte finish you can't beat laminate.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2009, 09:49:33 pm »
Wait... you have Chrome t-molding? I totally missed that!  :applaud:

diazsinger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2009, 07:16:25 pm
  • Question Everything
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
Job well done, that thing is stunning.  :applaud:
Earth and sky your cradle...earth and sky entomb you

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2009, 03:29:08 pm »
I have a question about you paint job. 

What type of sander did you use for the wet-sanding?  Orbital, Dual Action?

Also one of your photos shows that you streaked the cab with black before the metallic or clear coat.  I can't tell if you just sanded and it looks like that or you prepped your base with a flat black and went over it with the metallic as the metallic is not a very good filler, it's more clear with the silver flakes.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2009, 04:59:13 pm »
Man I though I was being innovative, I read your thread and got my bubble busted when I saw your lumins.....

Heh, yeah I pretty much planned it from the beginning, and actually had the discs purchased for it 2-3 years ago.  I'm real pleased with how it turned out.  I think it will look great on your cab too!  It's turned out to be a nice diversion for people that are waiting their turn to play.   ;)

Oh yes, and I will be attempting that awesome paint work.  Love it.....Just wish i could find that metallic with blue flakes in it..........

Well, if you have the means, you could always prime and prep it, then take it to a body shop and have them spray it with whatever type of metallic you want.  I actually considered this option, and will probably consider it even more strongly next time around.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:22:51 pm by Gamester »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2009, 05:05:58 pm »
Finally got around to reading this entire thread! Unbelievable! Fantastic cab! My next build, I'm dumping laminate and try to match that finish! The pic with the chairs reflecting is crazy!

I'm glad you like it.  The finish was a major headache, but I learned a lot while doing it, and now that the dust has settled and I can just sit back and enjoy it, I'm definitely glad I put in the extra effort.

Wait... you have Chrome t-molding? I totally missed that!  :applaud:

Funny.  I guess there's so many other things going on with lighting and such that it's easy to overlook, in photos at least.  The chrome really looks nice in person, and does a great job of framing all the other eye candy.

Job well done, that thing is stunning.  :applaud:

Thank you!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2009, 05:20:59 pm »
What type of sander did you use for the wet-sanding?  Orbital, Dual Action?

Actually all the wet sanding was done with pure elbow grease.  Most electric palm sanders don't mix with water, and the pneumatic ones are usually too cumbersome for use in sanding a cab.

Also one of your photos shows that you streaked the cab with black before the metallic or clear coat.  I can't tell if you just sanded and it looks like that or you prepped your base with a flat black and went over it with the metallic as the metallic is not a very good filler, it's more clear with the silver flakes.

Actually that was the metallic that I started with.  It took 3-4 coats to get good coverage.  I wouldn't say the metallic is 'clear' but it is definitely more translucent than pure black paint.  In hindsight, I probably would have put a layer of black (either paint or primer) underneath beforehand.  Would have saved the expense of a few extra cans of metallic.

Just FYI, I also replied to your previous post above (so you don't inadvertently overlook it).

Good luck!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2009, 05:42:33 pm »
I read both, great info....HMMM body shop.....That's actually a pretty good idea....There was a guy I just spoke too that is a mobile paint service.  Would be great if he could do it.....Gonna check into that.....

Update....No body shop will touch that with 10 foot pole....would have to know somebody who does it on the side...so for now it's good od fashioned elbow grease. 

Although I could you a black base and order some blue flakes and have hardware store mix it in for me.  Roll it on and go with your process for the clear coat..........Just a thought....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:01:07 pm by rablack97 »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:01 pm »
Although I could you a black base and order some blue flakes and have hardware store mix it in for me.  Roll it on and go with your process for the clear coat..........Just a thought....

The problem is, doing a rolled on metallic base will make it much more difficult to get a smooth finish in the end, because you won't be able to sand the base, and it doesn't go on nearly as smoothly as a spray.  When you're sanding your clear, there's a high probability that you'll sand through it in spots because of the the tiny 'high' spots caused by the base below.  As soon as you sand into the metallic, it's ruined, and it's do over time.

Not sure if you have a compressor and/or sprayer, but you could also just purchase your own automotive paint and spray it yourself.  Just depends how serious you are about getting the specific finish and color you want.

You might also check auto parts stores, as they often have metallic spray paint in various colors.  It's going to be more expensive than Rustoleum, but might still be a viable option.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:13:45 pm by Gamester »

ReplicaX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2009, 09:20:47 am
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:05 pm »
Nice cab, loving that CPO artwork.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:30 am »
OK Gamester where did i go wrong.  I did a test run on scrap piece of mdf for the Gamester bling finish.  All was well until I wet sanded the final clear coat.  I can't get rid of the gray haze, which is basically the sanded down clear coat. Only way to get it to disappear is to apply another coat of clear and let dry.  I have it smooth as a baby's bottom, just no mirror like bling.......Am I missing a step :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:23:06 am by rablack97 »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »
I have it smooth as a baby's bottom, just no mirror like bling.......Am I missing a step :banghead:

Yep, you're missing a step...  After sanding with 2000 grit, you need to machine polish it with high quality polish/wax (I used a two step process for this), then buff it with a soft cotton cloth to get the mirror finish.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:47:43 pm by Gamester »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »
Ok,

I did that, you mentioned your 2 step process in your thread, mothers for the swirls, and then the carnuba.

I think I wetsanded the clear coat too hard with the 2000 grit or my base/primer coats are not thick enough and showing the ripples of the wood....

Did a redo today, its better, but the finish it still blurry, I will post a pic tonight.......

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
I did that, you mentioned your 2 step process in your thread, mothers for the swirls, and then the carnuba.

I think I wetsanded the clear coat too hard with the 2000 grit or my base/primer coats are not thick enough and showing the ripples of the wood....

Did a redo today, its better, but the finish it still blurry, I will post a pic tonight.......

You definitely don't want to bear down when you're doing the final sanding.  Let the sandpaper do the work, and don't sand too deep.

Another possible problem is that it doesn't sound like you're giving the clear coat time to CURE.  Even though it may "dry" in a couple hours, it takes much longer for the molecular changes to occur that actually cure the paint.  I let mine cure for about a week before doing the final wet sanding and polishing.

Since I don't know the exact steps and time line you followed for all phases of the process, I can only speculate on what's going wrong, but it sounds like you might be rushing things a bit.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:31 pm »
No, your dead on, I guess the speed demon process is my problem.....But it was just a dry run on a one piece.  Cure time must be the issue.....

Here was my step by step....

1. Spray on Kilz oil based primer
2. Waited 20 mins
3. Dry Sanded with 320 Grit Sandpaper
4. Spray on Kilz oil based primer
5. Waited 20 mins
6. Dry Sanded with 320 Grit Sandpaper
7. Spray on Rustoleum flat black
8. Wait 20 mins
9. Spray on metallic
10. Wait 20 mins
11. Spray on Metallic
12. Wait 20 mins
13. Spray on metallic
14. Wait 20 mins
15. Spray on clear coat
16. Wait 30 mins
17. Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper
18. dry off mdf
19. Spray on clear coat
20. wait 30 mins
21. wet sand 600 grit sand paper
22. dry off mdf
23. spray on clear coat
24. let sit over night
25. wet sand 2000 grit sand paper
26. polish with swirl remover
27. polish with wax
28. buff with terry cloth

I have about 80% mirror shine, guess the week cure should take care of the other 20%
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:40:49 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2009, 09:09:53 am »
Gamester,

Paint question, is the swirl X the equivalent to a fine grit rubbing compound.  Trying to figure out which would work better.....

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2009, 10:34:27 am »
Paint question, is the swirl X the equivalent to a fine grit rubbing compound.  Trying to figure out which would work better.....

Rubbing Compound might be too coarse, but I'm not really sure.  Since you have a test piece, you have the luxury of experimenting.  If the RC doesn't work well, you can also try Polishing Compound.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »
Went to the local Autozone, and talked to a guy who paints cars, and wordworks on the side.  He said, he prefers the Swirl X over the compound.  I explained to him the process, and he said I 'm on my way to a mirror finish.  He did add that I would need tak or tack cloth's to wipe the machine down after every wet sanding.  He said it takes all the dust and grit off. He also said keep a spray bottle handy to keep the surface wet and use a sanding block instead of bare hands.  Should know this but he said spray work area with a little water to keep the dust off your fresh paint, especially when using the aerosol can.

I'm thinking...

2 coats primer
1 coat high gloss
2 coats of metallic for the glitter effect
3 coats of clear
Cure
Swirl X
Wax
Buff with Terry Cloth
Might be able to comb my hair in the reflection if all goes well :afro:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:15:48 pm by rablack97 »

SKiZZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2022, 04:04:17 pm
Re: New Project: Gamester's "Arcade Galaxy"
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2009, 03:06:20 am »
My little furry companion helped me with the photo of the control panel...   ;)  Knievel cut the control panel for U360 joys, which at the time he was not familiar with.  He did a good job on the recesses, considering, and I just cleaned them up a bit using my dremel to achieve a perfect fit.  All ready for primer here...

Knievel still cuts panels?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:08:20 am by SKiZZ »

saurian333

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2014, 07:58:21 pm
  • "They must've spent tens of dollars on this."
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2009, 06:53:01 am »
Gorgeous machine!  Your CP/CPO is incredible.  And I'm well aware that the effort that went into that finish is not to be taken for granted.  :applaud:  You called yourself a perfectionist, and you weren't kidding...it really paid off, too.  Beautiful work!

Is that regular chrome molding, or the gold chrome?  Hard to tell in the photos; looks gold in some, but I assume that's the lighting.  Either way, it's very impressive.  I just ordered t-molding samples, and I wondered if the chrome stuff would make a machine look too gaudy, but with the piano finish, it doesn't come off that way at all.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2009, 12:03:29 pm »
Knievel still cuts panels?

SKiZZ, nah he actually cut the panel for me like 3 years ago.  I haven't seen him around these parts in quite some time.  Strange after being such an active member of the BYOAC community...

Gorgeous machine!  Your CP/CPO is incredible.  And I'm well aware that the effort that went into that finish is not to be taken for granted.  :applaud:  You called yourself a perfectionist, and you weren't kidding...it really paid off, too.  Beautiful work!

Thank you so much!  That's very flattering.  I'm glad you like it.  I have to say, it was a great learning experience, and I'm already starting to get the bug to start on a new project.  It's funny, after working on that thing for so long, I went through a sort of withdrawal when it was 'done'.  This hobby can be addictive.

Is that regular chrome molding, or the gold chrome?  Hard to tell in the photos; looks gold in some, but I assume that's the lighting.

Yeah, it's regular/silver chrome.  Taking good photos of these machines is always a challenge with regards to lighting, so it's hard to take a picture that represents all aspects of the machine accurately.

Either way, it's very impressive.  I just ordered t-molding samples, and I wondered if the chrome stuff would make a machine look too gaudy, but with the piano finish, it doesn't come off that way at all.

I was a little worried about it looking gaudy too, but I think like you basically said, the high quality finish along with the other visual elements seems to all tie together tastefully, and the chrome doesn't look out of place.  I do think the chrome could look gaudy on some cabs that may not have enough other eye catching elements to support its use.  You want the molding to accentuate the other parts of the cab, not stand out above them.  Bottom line is, if chrome molding would be the most visually interesting component of one's cab, it probably shouldn't be used...

Good luck on your project!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:22:30 am by Gamester »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [12-30-09 - New Boot Screen]
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2009, 02:31:11 am »
Finally got around to 'hiding' Windows on the cab today.  In the process I put together a new boot screen to replace the default Windows one...

I think it turned out pretty good, considering Windows only allows a total of 16 colors and resolution of 640x480 for the boot screen.

A little hard to see in this small picture, but the progress bar at the top has two space invaders that scroll across during the loading sequence.  Fun stuff...   ;)

I'll probably put together a video of the cab in action in the near future.  I'm working on upgrading the computer to something a little faster, so I may wait until that's done.  Will probably be a couple weeks I reckon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:47:50 am by Gamester »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »
Good stuff,

I can't wait to get to the software piece myself, have it all in my head what I want to do.

I'm using an e-machine and whatever they do to windows does not like the progress bar to be jacked with, totally hangs up.

Might have to do something with a fresh windows install...I'll be PM'ing you on some direction on using NLite.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2009, 04:25:46 pm »
Nice Gamester! I gave up on the scrolling loading bar, because it never looked right so I just went w/ the plain static image. I've been thinking of taking video of my cab in action as well... but I may be moving soon.. so I dunno when I'll get around to it.

DennisInMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2023, 02:50:53 pm
  • gunga, gunga ga lunga
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2009, 12:12:38 pm »
Finally got around to 'hiding' Windows on the cab today.  In the process I put together a new boot screen to replace the default Windows one...

I think it turned out pretty good, considering Windows only allows a total of 16 colors and resolution of 640x480 for the boot screen.

A little hard to see in this small picture, but the progress bar at the top has two space invaders that scroll across during the loading sequence.  Fun stuff...   ;)

I'll probably put together a video of the cab in action in the near future.  I'm working on upgrading the computer to something a little faster, so I may wait until that's done.  Will probably be a couple weeks I reckon.

Very nice looking bootscreen.  What method did you use to replace it?

Thanks

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2009, 12:16:46 pm »

Thanks

From the looks of it I'd think he used bootSkin.  :)

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2009, 02:51:48 pm »

Thanks

From the looks of it I'd think he used bootSkin.  :)

Good guess...  Yep, it was BootSkin...

saurian333

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2014, 07:58:21 pm
  • "They must've spent tens of dollars on this."
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #234 on: January 01, 2010, 01:13:24 am »
You want the molding to accentuate the other parts of the cab, not stand out above them.  Bottom line is, if chrome molding would be the most visually interesting component of one's cab, it probably shouldn't be used...

Yes, thank you...that's exactly how I meant that.  It doesn't exactly "match," but "accentuates" the rest of your cab rather than overpowering it.  It really is a nice element.

Good luck on your project!
Thanks!  Rebuilt my CP box and got some painting done this weekend (well, Mon-Wed was my "weekend" this week); got a bunch of dust and crap in the first coat of black, so I'm going to sand and recoat on Sat/Sun.  But it's going well, thank you!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [01-28-10 - More Horsepower!]
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
Just a small update...  upgraded the PC finally.  The old XP3200+ processor was okay, but I found that it just wasn't enough for some of the games I wanted to play, plus Hyperspin really needed a bit more horsepower behind it.

Here's the new motor:

- AMD Athlon II X2 245 CPU (dual core)
- 2GB Kingston DDR3 Hyper-X RAM
- Gigabyte ATI 4550 512MB Passively Cooled Video Card
- MSI GF615M-P33 Socket AM3 Motherboard

Anyway, not a rocket by today's standards, but it's a huge step up from what I was running.

There was one 'gotcha' though...  the motherboard apparently doesn't play nice with the IPAC2 connected via PS2 port.  The IPAC won't activate on cold bootup.  I currently have to boot up the system, then restart it (warm reboot) to get the IPAC working.  I chatted with Andy about it, and consistent with his reputation for great customer service, he offered to ship me a USB cable for it, free of charge.  He also requested the details on the motherboard so he can pursue a possible fix.

Anyway, hopefully when the cable arrives I'll be good to go.

I haven't put it through its paces yet, but it definitely made a huge improvement in Hyperspin.  Very smooth and responsive now.  I'm glad, because it's such a cool FE!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:08:15 pm by Gamester »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »
Nice Gamester! I too hope to update the guts to my arcade, I noticed some games are pretty laggy in the system I am currently running and I have issues with some games like Radiant Silvergun and a few other shmups.

Nice upgrade though! I hope it works as well as you hope.  :cheers:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »
Thanks Ryglore.  I think once I get the IPAC situation straightened out, it'll be great.

In the spirit of "it's never done" I still have several things on my to-do list:

• Add some externally accessible USB ports
  • Add a key switch to selectively enable/disable the coin buttons (to force use of the coin door when desired)
  • Install speakers/grills.  I've been cheating by just using some powered speakers sitting behind the cab, and have been pretty consumed with other facets of the build.  I guess I've put this task off just about long enough
  • Monitor glass (haven't decided if I want to do smoked or clear)
  • Install a light inside the cab.  Tired of fumbling with flashlights!
  • Adjust the coin mechs to accept tokens
  • Replace the incandescent bulbs on the coin mechs with LEDs
  • Guns (Aimtrak here I come!)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »
On your to do list, here are a few insights from my experience working on my cab.

I mounted that USB hub in my CP box, and it has made my life way easier. No more rolling out the cab to access the usbs in the back! Just lift the lid and connect some wires, and replace it. It's great.

I actually removed the smoked window tinting from my plexi glass the other day. I have been noticing specks of dirt and hair that I didn't see before, and to be honest, I like looking at the screen a lot more without the smoked glass over top of it.

The LEDs I used from Happ are super nice and bright! I did a test to see what the difference was and you could totally tell that the bulb wasn't going to cut it with the blue coin rejects, they are just so damn dark.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2010, 11:50:26 am »
That is in the top 5 cleanest builds I have seen, nice job!  Love it!