Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY  (Read 75777 times)

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [9-30-09 - Finally Upright]
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2009, 03:14:23 am »
I really toiled over how to pull off perfectly round circles.
It is quite easy, and very precise using this method:
Make a compass from a piece of MDF. Drill a large hole (10mm bigger than the bit at least) for the router bit. Mount the router on it with screws. Put a screw on a distance from the routerbit that is "radius-1/2*bit diameter"
Put a dummy sheet below the sheet that needs a hole. This sheet will allow the router bit to cut through not damaging your workbench. Put the screw on the helper piece on the router through the center of the circle, through the dummy sheet into the workbench (I guess you can live with a screwhole in the workbench). This fixates the whole stack on the bench. Finally, route the circles, around 3mm deeper each turn.

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-11-09 - Woodworking Phase Nearing Completion]
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:53 am »
Hey looking really nice man!  I hear you on the router for finish cuts.  I do have a table saw but it's only useful for the smaller cuts, still need to use handtools to do the bigger pieces.  My method was similar to yours, i'd rough cut within 1/4inch or so, then use a straight edge and router.  I never owned a router before this project but now its my favorite tool!  If I had a router big enough, I could shape the world!!! LOL

n88n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2020, 11:46:46 am
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:45 am »
great work and I love the extra documentation.  Nice technique on cutting those holes, creative problem solving is always fun.

I can't wait to see the sides completed.  :)

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [9-30-09 - Finally Upright]
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:55 am »
I really toiled over how to pull off perfectly round circles.
It is quite easy, and very precise using this method:
Make a compass from a piece of MDF. Drill a large hole (10mm bigger than the bit at least) for the router bit. Mount the router on it with screws. Put a screw on a distance from the routerbit that is "radius-1/2*bit diameter"
Put a dummy sheet below the sheet that needs a hole. This sheet will allow the router bit to cut through not damaging your workbench. Put the screw on the helper piece on the router through the center of the circle, through the dummy sheet into the workbench (I guess you can live with a screwhole in the workbench). This fixates the whole stack on the bench. Finally, route the circles, around 3mm deeper each turn.

Thanks Blanka.  Yeah, I knew about this method, but I couldn't find a good way to fasten the router to the wood compass like you're describing.  I also didn't have the right bit to do this.  The method with the jig saw is the same in principal -- basically making it work like a compass.  I do think it's better to fasten whatever cutting device you use to a rigid compass arm.  The way I did it definitely requires a lot more care to make sure it stays the same distance from the screw as you go around the cut.  

I will probably try to do it the way you describe next time.  I'm just happy I got the same end result without screwing it up.   ;)

@syph007 - Thanks.  I completely agree with your sentiments on the router.  Very cool tool, and a must have for this type of project.

@n88n - Thanks.  I'm definitely looking forward to getting the sides done too!  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:09:18 am by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

KissMyWookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2014, 04:57:34 pm
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
This is a great build to follow and I love the work you've done so far.

It's a shame to cover up the beautiful grain on that plywood you bought (both faces on the cab right side and the inner facing cab left side) - you have all sorts of burls on it that would look great on a piece of furniture.

Thanks for the link to NiceMite. He has some handy little PCBs that I will probably end up buying.

Steve

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2009, 05:39:01 am »
Any updates Gamester? I am curious as to what your plans are for mounting your monitor. I have the same monitor you do going into my aliens cab and side portholes as well. Have you given it any thought?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2009, 01:55:58 pm »
@KissMyWookie - Thanks!  I agree, the wood grain really is beautiful, and I do hate to cover it up.  A woody was just not in the plans this time though.  It's definitely got me thinking about doing either a woody cab or juke for a future project though.   ;)

@Epyx - We finally have some beautiful weather here (following a solid week of rain), so I had big plans to get the woodworking wrapped up this weekend.  Unfortunately, my schedule seems to be filling up with other things.  :/  I do hope to squeeze in some building time though before the weekend is over.

For mounting the monitor, I haven't completely finalized my plans, but I'm leaning heavily toward mounting the monitor using it's brackets to 2x4 cross supports, as opposed to building a shelf.  I will probably use two cross supports in the front (to attach the top and bottom monitor bracket), then one in the back just to spread the load a bit, and help support the monitor while it's being mounted.  I will probably run two supports from the bottom brace down to the base of the cab, so the load is transferred there, instead of the sides (and the screws for the 2x4s) having to bear the whole load. 

There's just several things I didn't like about the shelf approach.  For one, considering the shape of the monitor, it seems like it will be more difficult to determine the exact height and angle the shelf needs to be built in order for it to align properly.  Also, a shelf would serve to restrict the air flow inside the cab more, and would restrict access to parts of the monitor.  Ultimately, I think it's easier to make use of the nice brackets and cage these arcade monitors have.  Obviously if I was using a TV or computer monitor, it would be a totally different story, and I'd pretty much HAVE to build a shelf.

Anyway, like I said, I'm hoping to at LEAST get the monitor mounts built this weekend.  As always, I'll post pics...
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2009, 04:03:18 pm »
There's just several things I didn't like about the shelf approach.  For one, considering the shape of the monitor, it seems like it will be more difficult to determine the exact height and angle the shelf needs to be built in order for it to align properly.

Ya exactly, I used the shelf on my first cab, originally for a tv then for our monitor and it worked but it's less than ideal for exactly those reasons. I was also leaning towards brackets to 2x4 cross supports, similar to how Javeryh did his monitor on the Donkey Kong cab.  Raining here as well :( However, I have a covered garage so will try to do some woodwork as well.

Ill post as well if I get to the monitor portion...one thing I am not looking forward to is hauling the D9800 monster out of the other cab for fitting and measuring hehe!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:23:45 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

syph007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2009, 04:20:15 pm »
one think I am not looking forward to is hauling the D9800 monster out of the other cab for fitting and measuring hehe!

I took to time to make a to scale cardboard mockup of my tv for fitting.  Might be a useful thing for you to do as well, much easier to handle a cardboard version.  Assuming of course its not a total pain to make one.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-18-09 - Woodworking 99% Complete]
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2009, 10:59:58 pm »
A big time slot in my weekend schedule opened up unexpectedly, so I was able to work on the cab for several hours.

First up was the supports for the monitor.  As I mentioned in my previous post, since my arcade monitor has brackets on the front, I decided to just use 2x4s as the support instead of building a shelf.  I basically inset the mounts 4" from the front, since the monitor protrudes 2" out from the brackets, and to also account for the bezel and glass, while still having an inset from the front edge.

For extra support, I ran a couple 2x4s from the bottom cross-brace down to the base.  It's probably overkill, but I know that nearly all of the monitor's weight is going to be resting on that brace, and I don't want to take ANY chances.

Also got the speaker shelf mounted, and installed a mount for the marquee lights.

And finally, I got the last of the faces built and installed.  Here's what it looks like now.  

The only thing I have left to do is to cut a couple ventilation holes in the back, and cut out the hole for the coin door, which I should receive this week.  

I also need to haul my monitor downstairs so I can do a test fit.  Crossing my fingers that I measured everything right...   ;)

Will be nice to move on to the next phase...  I definitely can sense burnout coming on -- I really felt like I had to push myself through these final steps of the woodworking.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:59:08 pm by Gamester »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:20 pm »
Nice job Gamester! You are getting close, don't burn out now! ;)

Can't wait to see your monitor mounted. That is exactly how I was going to try it as well and should provide enough strength.  You have all the downward weight pushing on your base and off the sides which is nice.

Question:  How do you find the 2.5" caster wheels? I was eying the exact same ones today at Home Depot..2 straight ones and 2 turnables with breaks. My first cab I went overkill with 4" wheels, these 2.5" look much better...how is movement?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:36 am »
Question:  How do you find the 2.5" caster wheels? I was eying the exact same ones today at Home Depot..2 straight ones and 2 turnables with breaks. My first cab I went overkill with 4" wheels, these 2.5" look much better...how is movement?

I got my wheels at Lowes.  They seem to roll just fine, though I'll save final judgement until I get the control panel and monitor installed which will obviously add a lot of weight.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned previously, I made the mistake of mounting my caster wheels too close to the sides, so they tend to bind when you turn the cab sometimes.  I still need to fix that problem...  I've been procrastinating, mainly because I'm so annoyed that I have to redo them.   :banghead:

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
Re: Gamester's "ARCADE GALAXY"
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2009, 04:54:43 am »

That white terminal block at the top connects the "power" wires for all of the LEDs together.  I basically made small jumper wires that go between each terminal so they're all connected as a single circuit, then a 5v power source was connected to the end terminal, providing power for all of the LEDs.  There are other ways to do it, but this seems to be the cleanest method.  Still need to put an inline fuse on the power wire.

Didn't you connect a 5V to the led-wiz at all? What size fuse did you get? Is there a way to calculate the size of the fuse?
You'd really help me out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:39:23 am by Kman-Sweden »

syph007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2009, 08:02:19 am »
I definitely can sense burnout coming on -- I really felt like I had to push myself through these final steps of the woodworking.

I hear you on that.  For the last month it felt like I had a second job, which was being a carpenter.  It'll go faster from this point on though, plus it's very exciting to do the next steps as each one makes it look more like an arcade!  I think I had the most fun putting on the tmolding :D  

You're project is looking real nice btw!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:01 pm »
Didn't you connect a 5V to the led-wiz at all? What size fuse did you get? Is there a way to calculate the size of the fuse?

The LED-Wiz is powered off the USB.  I have the LEDs powered directly off a 5V lead from the computer power supply.

I haven't purchased a fuse yet, but to calculate the size you need, I believe the rule of thumb is that you basically add up the current draw of all the devices and then use the next available size up for the fuse.

For example, each of the LEDs draws 100mA and I have 23 of them, so my total current draw is 2.3A.  I'll probably get whatever the next size fuse is up from 2.3A, which I'm betting is a 2.5A.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:02:24 pm by Gamester »

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2009, 03:04:30 am »

The LED-Wiz is powered off the USB.  I have the LEDs powered directly off a 5V lead from the computer power supply.

I haven't purchased a fuse yet, but to calculate the size you need, I believe the rule of thumb is that you basically add up the current draw of all the devices and then use the next available size up for the fuse.

For example, each of the LEDs draws 100mA and I have 23 of them, so my total current draw is 2.3A.  I'll probably get whatever the next size fuse is up from 2.3A, which I'm betting is a 2.5A.
Seems logical. Thanks for the reply.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-21-09 - Coin Door & Monitor Test Fit]
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2009, 11:44:55 pm »
Got a few minor things finished last night...

Received my shiny new coin door from Happ and made the cutout for it in the cab:

And finally did a test fit of the D9800.  Had to make a couple small notches in the bottom 2x4 support to clear some screw heads on the monitor bracket, but other than that, it fit like a glove.  Was very exciting to see that thing in there!  Can't wait until I can install it for good...

Some other little odds and ends I've been working on:

• Compiled MAME .134u3 with hiscores and all the "nag" screens removed.
  • Went through all of my MAME games and weeded out all the ones I don't want in there, which definitely took a while.  I was able to filter out a bunch of the games that don't match my controls, adult oriented ones, and some other genres I wasn't interested in (e.g. 5 million variations of mahjong) using ROMLister.  I'm glad I did also go through it by hand afterward, because there were still quite a few adult oriented ones that slipped through the cracks that I don't want the kids stumbling upon.
  • Bought the supplies to start wood filling and priming (woot!)

To Do List:

• Finish Control Panel Wiring
  • Wood filling / Priming & Painting
  • Build mounts for the plasma discs
  • Find or build a cash box
  • Hide Windows (Bootskinner and InstantSheller)
  • Design Marquee Art & get it printed
  • Replace coin reject buttons with Blue ones
  • Decide on T-Molding color (leaning towards chrome), order & install it
  • Monitor glass
  • Paint ventilation intake vent and install exhaust fan
  • Install Marquee Lights and retainers
  • Install the sound system
  • Fix my wheels
  • Trim and install the monitor bezel
  • Cabinet wiring (power strip, PC, lights, coin door lights and switches, etc.)
:dizzy:

I know there's probably more I'm forgetting.  Seems a bit daunting, but I guess I'll just take the "how to eat an elephant" approach (one bite at a time).  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:47:09 am by Gamester »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:57 pm »
 :cheers:

Man nice to see that monitor in there! :)  Im eying that same coin door rather than using my older one.

Would it be possible to take a picture from the back of the cab with the monitor in it or is it already out?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:21:24 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2009, 12:00:08 am »
Nice! That cab looks really nice! I'm totally going to have to go back to page 1 and read up on the progress up to this point. Nice work Gamester! :cheers:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:21 am »
@Epyx - D'oh!  I'm sorry, I already took the monitor out.  If it wasn't such a major fiasco to put it back in I'd certainly love to help you out.  Is there any particular question you have about the fit that I can answer for you?  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:33:26 am by Gamester »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2009, 12:26:52 am »
Nice! That cab looks really nice! I'm totally going to have to go back to page 1 and read up on the progress up to this point. Nice work Gamester! :cheers:

Thanks Ryglore!  I've been watching your project carefully, and my compliments to you as well for a job really well done!   :applaud:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2009, 12:53:00 am »
Thanks Gamester and no worries on the picture. Was just curious how it looks from the back suspended from the 2x4s ;)

As for the screws I took a look at my D9800 and saw them so edited out of my post. I have mine sitting on a ledge so didn't realize they were protruding.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2009, 02:31:31 pm »
Thanks Ryglore!  I've been watching your project carefully, and my compliments to you as well for a job really well done!   :applaud:

Thanks! Best of luck with your continued progress!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-24-09 - Woodworking Officially Complete]
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »
Just a minor update...  Woodworking is totally complete now.  Got the holes for the cooling fans cut:

I found the perfect template for it in the plumbing department at the local hardware store.  It's called a 4" closet flange spacer.  So, like the previous holes, I simply traced the circle onto the wood, rough cut it with a jigsaw then screwed the template onto the back side and routed around it.  Piece of cake...

Also got the wood prep done by puttying all the screw holes and caulking the small gaps where some of the faces meet the sides.  Planning to sand and prime in the morning.  Getting there slowly but surely...

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-24-09 - Woodworking Officially Done]
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 09:23:04 pm »
Oh, and got the front wheels fixed too...  Had to glue and screw a block on each side, then just moved the wheel over.  Actually rolls like it's supposed to now... no more binding.  You can see the black marks on the side where the wheels were rubbing before.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:29:49 pm by Gamester »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-25-09 - Marquee Art]
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »
Here's what I came up with for my marquee.  Wanted to keep it simple and have it tie in well with the CP artwork.  Chose the ship from my all time favorite arcade game, Galaga, as the centerpiece.

Also attached is the CPO, just for easy comparison.

Comments are welcome...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:00:44 pm by Gamester »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2009, 10:46:35 pm »
Nice! Though, did you try a bit bigger drop shadow behind the Galaga ship? It might make it stand out a little better, since it's so close to the lettering and the stripes all converge on that general area.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »
Nice! Though, did you try a bit bigger drop shadow behind the Galaga ship? It might make it stand out a little better, since it's so close to the lettering and the stripes all converge on that general area.

Good point.  I'll give that a try and see how it looks.  Thanks Ryglore!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »
Anytime Gamester.  ;D

n88n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2020, 11:46:46 am
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2009, 10:22:36 am »
great progress.  :cheers:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [10-28-09 - Priming]
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2009, 01:49:20 am »
Three coats of primer down and lots of elbow grease left to go...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:51:35 am by Gamester »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [11-02-09 - Priming Hell]
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2009, 05:26:11 pm »
I'm stuck in priming hell right now.  After spinning my wheels for 3 days trying to get rolled-on primer smooth, I decided to change to spray-on stuff.  Well, the first type I tried went on too thin, and basically did nothing to fill in the defects.  So after letting it sit for 24 hours, I switched to filler primer.  That's when disaster struck.  Here's what happened shortly thereafter:

:hissy:  :banghead:  :cry:

I cannot convey how much I wanted to pour gasoline on it and light a match.

I then spent several hours sanding it back down with 120 grit sandpaper.

Lessons learned:

1) If you have any intentions of having a really smooth finish, use spray primer only.
2) Use filler primer or "high build" primer.  The other stuff is just too thin to fill in the defects.
3) Wait longer than the manufacturer suggests between coats.

I'm starting to get back on track.  Probably have a couple days of priming and sanding left to get it perfect.  Then I get to start the process all over with paint.  Hopefully, if I get the prep work done right, that will be nothing more than spraying and lightly sanding.  Should be much more enjoyable (crossing fingers)...

My next project will, in all likelihood, be done with laminate.  Yeah, it might not be quite as pretty as a really well done paint job, but it is SO much easier, and probably considerably more durable.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:33:11 pm by Gamester »

syph007

• Offline Offline
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [11-02-09 - Priming Misery *sigh*]
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2009, 06:33:18 pm »
Oh man I know how that can put a damper on a project.. believe me.  Im struggling to get remotivated to finish my CP box.  I just was out in the garage messing up yet another attempt... problem for me is I kept rushing it...

I know if I tried paint I'd have similar issues, which is why I never considered it.  The only downside to laminate I think is the cost, but that cost might make up for the hours of painting, I dunno.

For sure dont light a match on it!  Just take a step back and regroup if you get too frustrated, thats what I have to do.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »
I know if I tried paint I'd have similar issues, which is why I never considered it.  The only downside to laminate I think is the cost, but that cost might make up for the hours of painting, I dunno.

I'm betting it's closer in price than one might think.  With laminate, you don't have to buy the expensive cabinet grade plywood.  And by the time you factor in the cost of sandpaper, primer, paint, clear coat, etc., painting get's pretty expensive.  When you also add in the labor, frustration and mess of painting/sanding, I think laminate is a pretty clear winner.

Now to some degree I'm probably a victim of my meticulous nature.  One who is less obsessed with achieving a smooth finish would probably be able to knock out this phase of the process a lot quicker than I am.

Anyway, since I'm going through all this trouble, I've decided I'm going to do a finish that's worthy of all the hard work.  I'm going to paint the cab a Midnight Black Metallic with several layers of clear coat.  If all goes as planned, this thing should look stunning when finished.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Gamester's ARCADE GALAXY [11-02-09 - Priming Hell]
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »

Oh dang! That sucks... When I primed my cab I went with standard interior primer and just rolled it on. The problem I have with spray is I never think I've gotten decent coverage and then I almost always end up with runs.  :banghead:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:27 pm »
That does suck gamester but not insurmountable. What I find works best is something like Kilz primer applied with a foam roller. You can get a red tray and foam roller with 2 foams for about $5 at Home Depot and they create a really nice coat for your primer and coats (and cut down the length of time considerably!).

GL!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2009, 11:13:44 pm »
That does suck gamester but not insurmountable. What I find works best is something like Kilz primer applied with a foam roller. You can get a red tray and foam roller with 2 foams for about $5 at Home Depot and they create a really nice coat for your primer and coats (and cut down the length of time considerably!).

GL!

I used high density commercial grade foam rollers for all of my painting. I'm pleased with how the primer and solid coats went on and had to do minimal sanding between coats.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2009, 12:28:44 am »

Actually, that's exactly how I did it to start, but the primer still dried pretty bumpy (like the texture of an orange peel), and the amount of sanding required to get it smooth was ridiculous.  Maybe I just chose the wrong type of primer (Zinnsers).   :dunno

The high build spray primer definitely goes on much smoother.  I think the mistake is that I switched primer 3 times in an effort to find one that went on smooth AND filled the wood grain and surface flaws well.  Had I started out with this type to begin with I probably would have been fine, and would be done with this step by now.

Ah well, live and learn... the hard way...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:45:55 am by Gamester »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2009, 01:26:30 am »
The painting process is always a test in patience. I always paint with a high grade thin-sized roller, because I don't have to worry about coverage and I sand with my palm sander in between every coat. Get yourself a palm sander Gamester!  It makes the sanding process go a lot faster!
I always rely the sanding  part more-so than the actual application of the primer/paints.

Though, that large amount of cracking is concerning. How is the temperature in your workspace?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2009, 01:43:06 am »
I still need to fix that problem...  I've been procrastinating, mainly because I'm so annoyed that I have to redo them.

This should make you feel better...While I didn't put my wheels too close to the side..I did put my rear ones too close to the center :(

End result is my cab tips over on a dime lol...so come this weekend I need to mount the rear wheels closer to the back..which means a larger piece of wood /sigh
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials