Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hi Score Competition #24: Defender  (Read 13697 times)

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: Hi Score Competition #24: Defender
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 11:34:40 am »
LOL Quarterstringer...man...

Way to completely shatter my hope...60K while unlikely was still worth playing for...186k+ LOL forget it...

Time to patch up the holes in my drywall :(
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 01:30:44 pm »
I've hit 27,000 during the competition and have maxed out at about 33,000 if I remember correctly. I still suck even though I do try.

quarterstringer, do you have any tips or tricks you can offer up? BTW, your name reminds me of a guy who used to use those greek coins with the hole in the middle to get himself free credits on this pacman machine we used to play. Any similarities?  ;)

http://rg.ancients.info/owls/coins.html
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »
Well have played more defender in the last week than........well ever. Just still only managed about 12k on a good game  :dunno

So addictive tho

mj147

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »
@mj147

Hehe it is addictive though and likewise...I think I played more than I ever did in the arcades...I remember when this game was in the arcade I would hesitate to play it because I knew my quarter wouldn't last long, whereas with other games I could maximize my playtime.

That is the great thing about these high score comps...playing a lot of some games I never played a lot at the time.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

quarterstringer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2016, 03:35:04 pm
  • Rampart
    • Rampart
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »
quarterstringer, do you have any tips or tricks you can offer up? BTW, your name reminds me of a guy who used to use those greek coins with the hole in the middle to get himself free credits on this pacman machine we used to play. Any similarities?  ;)

I was in high school when Asteroids came out and it was the first game that started my addiction. Asteroids had the circular coin slots, so my friend and I used to tape thread to a quarter to rack up credits. I have an Asteroids coin door for my cabinet, but I haven't tried quarterstringing it yet.

We tried a lot of tricks to get free games back then, shuffling feet on the carpet and striking the coin door with a quarter, flipping pennies up the coin return and stringing quarters. I remember that we could get 40 games on Tempest if you ended the game on a certain score.

As for defender, I put a lot of quarters in that game. Tcleary has a great list of tips. The most important skill is to learn how to save the humans when the landers pick them up. Practice it on the first level.

This is how a I play -

On the first level, shoot some landers and let the others pick up the humans and save them for 500 and set them down for another 500.

On the 2nd level, shoot the pod first then follow the swarmers. I use the strategy of defending only one or two humans. So I kill all but two humans while shooting landers. With this strategy there shouldn't be any landers turning into mutants.

On the 3rd and higher levels, first smart bomb the pods then defend one or two humans. I try to catch the first human caught by a lander and then set that human down next to the last human and hover around protecting them. Usually a lander will try to pick up a human and if it's safe, I let pick up the human to get the 1000 points.

On every 5th level when the humans reload, I try to kill 8 humans after smart bombing the pods.

Some general tips -

Focus on your ship, check the radar when there are few enemies around your ship.
Fire and thrust while moving the joystick up and down.
Kill the landers first.
Follow the orange swarmers.
Get in front of the purple bombers.
Fight the mutants last and kill them while at the top of the screen.
Kill the baiter as soon as it comes out.
Use the hyperspace when baiters are out and you need to kill one or two last enemies.

I used to be able to turn this game over, so Defender is still frustrating to me. My skills haven't come back on this game.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 04:24:15 pm »
My skills haven't come back on this game.

Well compared to many of us other "old timers" from the 80s your skillz are "mad" enough hehe

Like I said earlier...60k...maybe...190k...not bloody likely hehe
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

tcleary

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:30:19 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »
played some more and got up to 68k, i'll probably play some more tomorrow but seriously doubt I'll catch up to quarterstringer in a day.  thanks for the tips!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 03:32:23 pm »

I was in high school when Asteroids came out and it was the first game that started my addiction. Asteroids had the circular coin slots, so my friend and I used to tape thread to a quarter to rack up credits. I have an Asteroids coin door for my cabinet, but I haven't tried quarterstringing it yet.

We tried a lot of tricks to get free games back then, shuffling feet on the carpet and striking the coin door with a quarter, flipping pennies up the coin return and stringing quarters. I remember that we could get 40 games on Tempest if you ended the game on a certain score.

I knew it  ;D

I almost got killed once for using pennies that I'd hammer into thinner sized quarters. One day while playing pinball, the Italian pool room owner's son came running up to the machine as soon as I plugged in my
quarter, pushed me aside, opened up the cash door and to his dismay and my supreme luck, I hadn't used a crushed penny that time. I would have received a few licks and probably been banned from the joint.

My favorite free game trick though was on this old school pinball machine that had a mechanical lid that would cover the match number. When you start a new game,
we'd put pressure against the glass window and cause the mechanical lid to stay open. On a bad game on ball 5, we'd purposely tilt the machine when the match number
was the same and bingo, a match every time.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try them out. Especially the one about saving 1 or 2 humans. The mutants seem to kill me all the time.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »
Quarterstringer: now that's more like it!

I've figured out the best way to kill mutants is from the top of the screen. I thought about trying the protect a human/group of humans in a spot, but Defender inherently puts you at either side of the screen depending on which way you're facing, and makes that difficult.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:31 am »
This killed me... I was real close to the current high score at 164,xxx, and just couldn't make the time to play more.
I should have tried earlier on, but I swore one of the guys that owned a dedicated Defender were going to post a 500,000+ score, which I couldn't touch if I practiced 5 hours a day at this point.

Nice job quarterstringer!  :cheers:

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 10:14:47 am
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:52 am »
New game?

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 05:18:29 am »
It's odd that my "unofficial" game comp had this one early on (although noone bothered, prolly due to me not being the right person, and me stating that any of the versions were ok, but specifying white as the standard).

How about Protector 2 for the C64? Same basic game, but less taxing? Would be nice to see a non arcade and non MAME game in the comps.

Maybe I can start an off-shoot for defender with Protector 2 using C64 emulation, or for those who still have a C64?

Defender = hard assed

Protector 2 = Well balanced game.

Meh, I am prepared to be ignored once again.... :<
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:29 am »
I think a reason these MAME contests are a bit more popular is because everybody on here has MAME.  And arcade games are more geared toward high score competitions than console games.  But who knows, maybe people will be interested. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:36 am »
The next game was chosen by quarterstringer, a favorite of mine, Klax :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2009, 10:37:23 am »
I gotta say these contests are great for discovering games you may not have played much..I never tried Klax...now I love it.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:47 pm »
Yeah, it's quite addicting ;D although it can be very frustrating if the tiles all come out the wrong colors.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »
Hehe yep agreed...nothing more frustrating than having a big Sandwich ready to go and you come up with the wrong colours...

Im still gunning for your score but unless I get really lucky its not gonna happen, regardless, great game!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »
As with others, I just discovered Klax and enjoying the game. As stated earlier I like these comps as it brings out some of the games I might have missed.

Heck Im playing Defender daily nowadays  ;D

mj147