Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TurboTwist 2 Video Review  (Read 25457 times)

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
TurboTwist 2 Video Review
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:29 pm »
Hi guys,

First off, I am no spinner expert. Just a guy who loved playing spinner games back in the day. I purchased the TurboTwist 2 spinner (www.groovygamegear.com) because I had already spent quite a bit of money at www.ultimarc.com and wanted to spread the spending to some of the other vendors that support our hobby.

So while I am an IT guy in real life you won't get a lot of technical wizardry on the inner workings of a spinner.  Instead you will see how the spinner looks when it arrives, mounted from underneath and a look at performance and settings in Windows.

Part 1 ->
Part 2 ->
Part 3 ->

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:00:54 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
Re: TurboTwist 2 Video Review
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »
i liked your review.

i am after a spinner and unfortunately we cant get hold of these here in uk easy.importing isnt realy an option as our customs is pretty strict and if they whop a great dirty big charge ontop the price it will end up one expensive piece of kit to buy.

i will probably opt for the ultimarc product.

nonetheless thanks for keeping me outta trouble for 15mins (whatever)
 :applaud:

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:59 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:29:35 am »
Great review, very informative - thanks for making the effort to do this and post the videos. I've been contemplating getting the TT2, and this really helped fill in a few of the blanks.

Quick question for you Epyx, slightly OT to the subject of this thread - what is thickness of your CP? It looks like your Mag-Stiks are bottom-surface mounted in 3/4"... Is this correct, or have you routed the joystick mounting on the underside? How do you like the 'feel' with that mounting regimen?

BTW, I left you some stars at YouTube. Cheers.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:35:24 am »
Excellent review! I've been passively paying attention to spinners for my cab configuration, and have shied away for fear of creating a frankenpanel. I had no idea the TT2 had such an elegant (and small) footprint!

Does anyone know offhand if it can be readily interfaced with the mini pac? My wiring harness has the available leads for a spinner, but I wasn't sure if there was a plug & play solution, or if it required a bit of wiring.

Cheers to such a great review!

:cheers:
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:49:48 am »
@Jeremymtc

Thanks Jeremymtc.  My CP is 3/4" but I have routed the joystick mount underneath an additional 1/4" down to 1/2".  The feel of the stick is very similar to the competition etc as far as length protruding above the CP. The functionality however is completely different. As many have mentioned the throw is about 5deg versus 10-15 on a lot of the North American sticks which is definitely taking some getting used to in 8 way.

@smalltownguy

I don't believe it can be readily interfaced with the mini pac without a degree of hacking involved.  I could be wrong.  I would forward this question to Andy and I am sure you will get a quick reply.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:18:49 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »
 :applaud: Thanks for the great review. My spinner is in the mail.  :applaud:
You said that the magstiks need some getting used to... Do you regret geting them?
I've been thinking about getting them for my cab aswell but I'm beeing paranoid about the short throw...
Bare in mind that I'm using a X-Arcade Tankstick today. It has probably 4 times the movement compared with the Magstiks.
The 4 to 8 way, pull-n-twist really got me hooked.  :banghead:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »
@Kman_Sweden

You are coming from the same controller that I did. I had a Tankstick from X-Arcade and it has a very generous throw but as you know its pretty bad in 4 way unless you make manual adjustments by opening it up and even then you don't benefit from a true 4 way restrictor plate.

I will put up a Magstick review tonight but here are my initial impressions ( I will include side angles so you can see how much stick is above the CP based on a 1/2" mounting etc):

- Throw is shorter and takes some getting used to. However, no regrets on the purchase. You simply need to "re-learn" the feel of the shorter throw.  It took me about a few hours to start getting used to the throw for diagonal jumps in games like Black Tiger for example.
- Games like Robotron 2084 (this was also mentioned in another review on I think Retroblast?) actually play "Better" with the Magstick Plus thanks to the shorter throw...way, way less arm movement on the left (my movement stick in Robotron 2084) and I am actually doing much better than I did with the X-Arcade controllers.
- As you mentioned the 4 way to 8 way really got me hooked as well...it works brilliantly. However, a word of caution. Ensure that when you are re-assembling your MagStick Plus in the CP that you fasten the nut tight and make sure you get all the parts in order (diagram on www.ultimarc.com). If you fail to do this you won't get a smooth (or functioning at all) switch between 4 and 8 way.

All in all its a great stick and I do not regret the buy...this hobby is all about learning and I just chalked this stick up to being part of that process..."re-learning" with a shorter throw ;)

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:22:46 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

GaryMcT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2014, 11:19:27 am
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »
Epyx, thanks for the review!  I'd be interested to hear how people compare these to what Ultimarc offers.  These looks crazy easy to install. :)

Also, I remember back in the day you could wire a spinner to a Jaguar for Tempest 2000 since Jeff Minter added support for it in the game.  Do you happen to know if any of the emulators support that?  Would be really awesome to be able to play that game on an arcade machine with a spinner!  Was pretty amazing how well it played with the Jaguar controller.

My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »
i just ordered the spintrak today from ultimarc.was sick of googling all the time thinking ebay and other places would have arcade spinners for sale.

was gonna ask in the buy sell thread but,with a lot of folks from usa and with import tax and all i just decided to buy off ultimarc.i only got 24 inchs to dabble with though and 2 player 6 button configuration,will be interesting to see how i manage to fit it all on.

i bought for mini ipac not the usb version.
:)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »
@GaryMct

You are in luck...Spinner support was added to this version of Tempest 2000:

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=41691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=t2k+command+line&start=0

@Saleem

I'd like to see pictures when you have it mounted :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:24 pm »
@GaryMct

You are in luck...Spinner support was added to this version of Tempest 2000:

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=41691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=t2k+command+line&start=0

@Saleem

I'd like to see pictures when you have it mounted :)

I haven't ordered one yet!  I'm sure I will though, especially with T2K working with a spinner! :)  I will definitely post pictures when it happens. :)
My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:59 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:34:47 pm »
My CP is 3/4" but I have routed the joystick mount underneath an additional 1/4" down to 1/2".  The feel of the stick is very similar to the competition etc as far as length protruding above the CP. The functionality however is completely different. As many have mentioned the throw is about 5deg versus 10-15 on a lot of the North American sticks which is definitely taking some getting used to in 8 way.

Ah, thank you, good to know. I have the Ultimarc T-Stik Plusses which are very similar in construction and throw, and am just about ready to start drilling my final panels. I had been contemplating whether or not  to rout the mountings, and as they will be installed on a cocktail cab I thought the shorter height might be a positive. Based on your feedback, I think I will go ahead and rout them.

Haterot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2012, 09:27:41 am
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »
Epyx, do you feel the Energy Storage device is a necessity to the TT2? Have you tried playing with and without it?
Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
Epyx, do you feel the Energy Storage device is a necessity to the TT2? Have you tried playing with and without it?
Good question. I ordered one just to be on the safe side.  ;D
Also ordered the 7" Wheel but don't think it need the ES with the wheel on.. Have you tried it with any of the wheels?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 02:11:52 pm »

For me personally the ESS is a necessity because it provides you with a nice heavy spin.  I have tried it without and it works fine for a game like Arkanoid but I would rather tweak the Arkanoid settings in Mame and retain the heavier feel of the spinner. For the majority of other spinner games I find that the ESS just completes the spinner feel...its just feels "right".

As for the wheels I can't comment because I actually use my Logitech USB wheel and pedal/break combo with my games.  I do know that with the heavier premium knobs the ESS isn't required.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ond

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:31:07 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:42 pm »
Great set of reviews, mine is also on the way and I ordered the premium knob in red so no ESS.  Tempest must be blast with that spinner in place.  One thing I'm confused about though I ordered mine with the 'Accu-Twist' system, but when I checked the order the update advised "Accu-Twist™ System was removed from your order because it is not compatible with the stylish black knob".  The black knob comes standard with the unit yeah? The Premium knob is described as coming with the Accu-Twist system?  :dunno am I getting it or aint I?   :lol ehh not to worry either way it looks (and sounds from your description) like a great unit.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »
Thanks and ya the 'Accu-Twist' system is only compatible with the premium knobs (which confuses me as well if you got a premium one)...I had the same thing happen on my order but I purchased a non-premium 'Big Blue'.   Did you message Randy?

Tempest is fantastic once you have tweaked the settings...another great game is Typhoon 2001...that will look and sound great on your future cab and it plays fantastic, plus its free...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »
I tried Typhoon 2001 and it seemed to have a bug with my video card where performance was really terrible.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »
You know Arkanoid was more like Pole Position, in that it was a geared spinner. I doubt you'll ever get the right setting without the same or similar equipment.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »
@Ummon

Agreed...with the ESS and tweaks its enough to compensate but still not the original.

@GaryMcT

Hmm strange...what card are you using?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 11:52:24 pm »
ATI Radeon 4870 series card of some sort.

At some point I need to dig around and see if I can find a Tempest 2k emulator that runs at the original resolution, works with a spinner, etc. :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 12:49:54 am »
Hmm the 4870 should be working fine...you're just running xp?

As for tempest 2000 emu with spinner support...look no further than the Yak's own forums:

Enjoy :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:53 am »
Hello,
I picked up a Turbo Twist 2 spinner and ready to install it but it didn't come with installation instructions.
I also don't find instructions on the GGG site.

I watched your 3 vids but it doesn't discuss how you power the pcb.  Does it take separate 5v, or does the usb cable power it?
thank you.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:54 am »
Hello,
I picked up a Turbo Twist 2 spinner and ready to install it but it didn't come with installation instructions.
I also don't find instructions on the GGG site.

I watched your 3 vids but it doesn't discuss how you power the pcb.  Does it take separate 5v, or does the usb cable power it?
thank you.

It's USB powered. You'll be fine. :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:19:31 am »
It's USB powered. You'll be fine. :cheers:

Cool.  I got it working from PC in MAME.  It acts like the X axis mouse.   MAME recognized it when I went into mapping for the Dial Analog.

Tried it in Retropie on Pi3 but it isn't being recognized.  I wonder if the turbo twist takes a special setup/script/driver to be recognized on Pi/Retropie?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 11:46:59 am »
Tried it in Retropie on Pi3 but it isn't being recognized.  I wonder if the turbo twist takes a special setup/script/driver to be recognized on Pi/Retropie?
RasPi3 running Raspbian recognizes the TT2 as a standard HID mouse so the problem is almost certainly in the Retropie configuration.

Scott

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 07:17:44 pm »
got it working with advance mame using the .rc config file changes found here- https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2836/turbotwist-2-spinner-for-retropie/10