Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting paint to dry without roller overlap???  (Read 1336 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
Getting paint to dry without roller overlap???
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:44:29 pm »
I am getting frustrated.  The 3rd coat of paint just finished drying on my cabinet and it looks good from a distance but if the light catches it a certain way you can see the roller overlap marks - like the paint was drying too fast as I was painting it or something.  I don't know what to do... 

I have been keeping the cab out in the garage where the temperature is unregulated and I've been painting in abut 80 degree weather.  Could this have something to do with it?  Should I bring the cab in the house where it is air conditioned and try putting another coat on?  i've also been painting it vertically (like a wall) - would it help to lay the cabinet down on a side and paint it that way?  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm using Sherwin-Williams latex paint.

Thanks.

mvsfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
Re: Getting paint to dry without roller overlap???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »
hey your definately using the right stuff, sherwin williams is grade A, number 1 quality paint. but you are using the wrong formula for something like an arcade cabinet.

one of the top reasons they dont paint bedrooms with oil based paints is because the toxic smell takes forever to evaporate. if they did build a house where they painted everything in oil and also the residents had the means where they didnt need to occupy that house for about 6 months,

the paint would last almost as long as the house did. It wouldnt matter how hard your wife cleaned it, it wouldnt flake, it wouldnt chip unless you totally abused it like Billy Mays trying to sell a product.

But theirs no reason to not paint your cabinet in oil based paint and let it sit outside for as long as its sunny to speed curing.

Id never use water based anything to paint a game thats gonna get beat up by every kid who comes over. For a good example, you can take your fingernail inside any recently painted house thats had plenty of time to cure, and you can almost always still scrape the paint off of the wall.

I can hit my cabinet with a hammer and the areas of paint right on the creaseline of where the hammer pounded into the side of the cabinet, they simply stretch to fill the gaps, and dont break.

Over 7 years my cabinet has gotten lots and lots of dents all over it from rough play. But theirs never a crackline anywhere.

i hope this advice helps.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I was going to use oil but I couldn't get a gallon where I live due to environmental laws.  I probably should have sucked it up and bought 2 quarts but I guess it is too late for that.  From what I understand I can't paint oil over the latex because the latex needs to breathe and over time it would crack the top coat of oil.  Am I right?

I don't think the cab will get abused but it might... I don't know.  I'm pretty bummed out but I have to make due with the latex.  The color is nice though...

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:35:54 pm »
you must live in CA, New jersey, or New york.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:55:00 pm »

Yup.  Jersey.

Any advice (besides moving)?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »
Alright... the wife and kids are away this week so I just rolled the cabinet into the living room where I will lay it down and paint one side at a time.  I need to figure out a way to paint it in here without getting a divorce.  If I still get the overlap I'm going to go mental.  Hmmm... now where are those drop cloths???

In the meantime, any tips anyone has would be most appreciated.   :cheers:

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:22:40 pm »
Getting a streak-free finish with a roller is easier to accomplish if you use a decent foam roller rather than a brush type roller, and you lightly go over it several times whilst it goes tacky. This will still depend on the paint type and the finish you are after though as you will not get a silky-smooth finish with brush-applicated paints like you can with a spray.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 10:20:09 pm »
Thanks.  I'm wondering if it is a problem with the roller I'm using.  It has a rounded over edge ad that is the part that is leaving the line.  I've used a different roller in the past but it is a bit smaller and it never left a line.  I'm going to try that because the coat I just put on didn't dry right either (it actually looks worse).  I'm going to wait until the morning before trying the new roller though.  I'm too tired and angry to keep working on this thing.

:banghead:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:07:32 am »

Yup.  Jersey.

CA sucks ass too. Last I checked, you needed a permit or license to buy any decent amount of the good paints.

In any case, I have a very vague recollection of an additive you can dump into latex paints to slow curing or something like that. I remember the mixers offered it to us when I was painting our twenty+ foot high ceilings but since our ceiling is ten feet away from our head and textured anyways, we didn't take them up on it. I think it's called leveler or something. Someone here should know what I'm talking about. They should also tell you if it would work in your situation, I really don't know.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 02:14:17 am »
Thanks.  I'm wondering if it is a problem with the roller I'm using.  It has a rounded over edge ad that is the part that is leaving the line.  I've used a different roller in the past but it is a bit smaller and it never left a line.  I'm going to try that because the coat I just put on didn't dry right either (it actually looks worse).  I'm going to wait until the morning before trying the new roller though.  I'm too tired and angry to keep working on this thing.

Let me know what worked for you. Paint was the worst part of my project and the one thing that did not come out as I had planned.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »

Let me know what worked for you. Paint was the worst part of my project and the one thing that did not come out as I had planned.

OK, I finally figured it out.  The foam roller was killing me.  I bought a 1/4" nap roller and the paint went on beautifully - no overlap!!  I mean, it's not 100% perfect by any stretch but it looks very very nice and it went on even which is the main thing.  The foam roller was applying too thin if a coat so it was drying wicked fast and leaving roller marks when I went over it.  The nap roller lays down a thicker coat (but not too thick) and allowed me to smooth everything out nice and neat.  Whew!

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:12:07 pm »
I've never used a foam roller, but when I painted my cab with a medium quality medium nap roller, I got no lines and got the exact finish I was looking for (not smooth, but not globby...I think it's called an "orange peal" surface for cars).

Dr Zero

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:06:43 pm
  • Sunny Florida North
    • Drzero.org
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 09:27:32 pm »
Has anyone tried something like a wagner paint gun?
Manuals and info on Dynamo cabs!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:36 pm »
Has anyone tried something like a wagner paint gun?

I wanted to.  I was staring at one in Home Depot today for 20 minutes...

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »

In any case, I have a very vague recollection of an additive you can dump into latex paints to slow curing or something like that. I remember the mixers offered it to us when I was painting our twenty+ foot high ceilings but since our ceiling is ten feet away from our head and textured anyways, we didn't take them up on it. I think it's called leveler or something. Someone here should know what I'm talking about. They should also tell you if it would work in your situation, I really don't know.

I think It's called retardant as it retards the rate of drying, I've used it with artist's acrylic paint and it worked great, there must be a similar product for house paint

also I think "eggshell" is the finish we're all after

This is why I laminate. It may be more expensive but with water soluble adhesive it's a breeze, and no cursing or screaming or jumping up and down
plus your done in one afternoon

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »

I think It's called retardant as it retards the rate of drying, I've used it with artist's acrylic paint and it worked great, there must be a similar product for house paint

also I think "eggshell" is the finish we're all after

This is why I laminate. It may be more expensive but with water soluble adhesive it's a breeze, and no cursing or screaming or jumping up and down
plus your done in one afternoon

I think that stuff is called Floetrol.  You add it to the paint to help it dry evenly. 

This is probably the last cabinet I paint for a long long time.  I am DEFINITELY laminating in the future.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »
Yeah Floetrol is the stuff, if you must use latex that is the stuff to make it work!

also Temperature and Humidity have a HUGE effect on the drying rate of Latex paint

I have an industrial HVLP sprayer and I still Laminate!

PS I got the DK CP back today in perfect shape, Thanks! hope it helped
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:57:48 pm by Bender »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:50 pm »
 :laugh2:  Painting sure does suck, doesn't it?

Damn, you just got the CP today???  I need to smack the mailroom guy in my office.  No wonder people are always complaining on eBay!  Thanks again - it was a HUGE help.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:39:33 am »
Thanks javeryh, I'm glad it was something simple!

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 05:14:25 pm »

Yup.  Jersey.

Not really. I havent had to use many of the products that you guys are getting now.

usually when we do get one we just dont buy that brand anymore. some manufacturerers are making everything to california specs now to simplify production.

Krylon is a big one known for this and they have also too become known for flaking paint in a year or less.

nowadays most places here carry rustoleum. its getting harder and harder to find krylon and thats the reason why.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:28 pm »
ive lived in Florida and Alabama all my life and i do meet a lot of people from New York or Jersey here.

one of the first things the newest arrivals ask is where you go to get your car certified for state inspection.

We just kinda smile and say "you dont".

then we explain how we are blessed with good, (or bad) weather depending on how you look at it i guess.

the storms are ferocious here all across the state and one thing they always do is that they kick up so much that they carry almost all of our air pollution over to georgia before they settle down, and they leave it there in Atlanta. or in Florida it gets carried out to sea.

thus neither state ever fails federal epa guidelines enough to require an emissions test. all our garbage gets carried elsewhere, sad to say.