Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where to start??  (Read 2741 times)

Vamp RN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2011, 09:28:27 pm
Where to start??
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:57:04 pm »
I have decided to build my own MAME cabinet.  I have the software pretty much the way I want it, so now it's time to start the "building" process.  A couple of problems come to mind.  The first being I am not mechanically inclined nor do I hold a degree in enginering.  I don't think that I would be able to make my own controller, so I was thinking of getting an X-Arcade controller and building around it.  The second problem is...how do I build a cabinet??  Are there plans and material list out there somewhere.  Any advice or direction any of you have for me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Where to start??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:43:08 am »
Go to the main start page and click Newbee Guide on the LHS.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

or

Look at the top of this page and choose Wiki

or

Buy Saint's Book     http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

Hogie1418

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2013, 04:06:39 am
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:01:42 am »
I used the plans that are posted over at Jakobud.com .... Check out a few and come up with a design you want ;D

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2019, 09:36:49 pm
  • Crowded elevators smell different to midgets...
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »
Hey Vamp Nurse....
Go to www.arcadecab.com...has the plans everything for free to build around a x-arcade...
I love mine...
“If first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you..." ~ Jack Handy

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »
Just dive right in!  You will be amazed at how nice you can make something if you take your time, don't cut corners and read and read and read some more about how these things go together.  Also, wiring the controls is by far the easiest part - you don't need the X-arcade! 

Dr Zero

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:06:43 pm
  • Sunny Florida North
    • Drzero.org
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:56:49 pm »
If I may throw in my .02 cents I am totally new to this also and I have read many of the FAQ and I still occasionally ask a doh! question but these folks have steered me in the right direction without lighting me up and that means alot.  :cheers: We all have to start somewhere so we are all newbs at some point.

I was going to go the X arcade stick route also and may still for one machine just for the convenience but after reading and reading and playing around with some buttons and switches I know that I can make my own and it will work or I can at least ask where I went wrong  :laugh2:

If it was me I would get your system planned out and working the way you want then move over to making the cabinet there are so many options you can play around with once you got it the way you like then move on to the next step.

But like I said I'm still a newbie but I'm working on earning my joysticks! :D
Manuals and info on Dynamo cabs!

tanhauser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 03:45:05 am
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:52:35 am »
Hey Vamp Nurse....
Go to www.arcadecab.com...has the plans everything for free to build around a x-arcade...
I love mine...

Do you maybe have marquee on your cab in PSD or AI format.
I like a lot  :)
Thanks

Vamp RN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
Thanks everybody for all the feedback.  I really do appreciate all of the help/ideas!  You guys rock.  I am going to get Saint's book 1st (mainly because I really lack the funds to get this started in earnest).  Got a couple quick questions for you, Garnerb.  1st I noticed a couple of buttons on the side of your (great looking) cab; did you have to wire them or are they part of the X-Arcade stick?  I'm assuming that they are for getting in and out of your game list.  2nd:  If you don't mind me asking, how much have you invested (monetarily) into your cab minus the monitor and computer?

One last question for anybody.  Have any of you used the prefabbed kits from mameroom.com?  Are they a reliable source?  It looks really good on the site, but I fear that I'll give them 2 much $$ for a shady kit.

Thanks again everybody!  Having my own arcade cabinet has been a dream of mine ever since I was just a wee lad.  I feel that I am finally getting closer to achieving my goal.    ;D

Dr Zero

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:06:43 pm
  • Sunny Florida North
    • Drzero.org
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:39 am »
Thanks everybody for all the feedback.  I really do appreciate all of the help/ideas!  You guys rock.  I am going to get Saint's book 1st (mainly because I really lack the funds to get this started in earnest).  Got a couple quick questions for you, Garnerb.  1st I noticed a couple of buttons on the side of your (great looking) cab; did you have to wire them or are they part of the X-Arcade stick?  I'm assuming that they are for getting in and out of your game list.  2nd:  If you don't mind me asking, how much have you invested (monetarily) into your cab minus the monitor and computer?

One last question for anybody.  Have any of you used the prefabbed kits from mameroom.com?  Are they a reliable source?  It looks really good on the site, but I fear that I'll give them 2 much $$ for a shady kit.

Thanks again everybody!  Having my own arcade cabinet has been a dream of mine ever since I was just a wee lad.  I feel that I am finally getting closer to achieving my goal.    ;D

What part of the world or country are you from? There is some free cabs and some free cab kits in the trade section of the forum.
Manuals and info on Dynamo cabs!

Vamp RN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 12:07:26 pm »
I live just about an hour north of Indianapolis.  I'll definitely check the thread.  Thanks!

Clones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2022, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »
Definitely use Saint's book to teach and help you think.  I think some look at the X Arcade because they think they cannot do wiring, and this was me almost 2 years ago.  As you start looking at things, it starts to become readily apparent, one button: one live wire, one ground and everything else flows from there, so to speak.

By planning and making your own CP, you get freedom of choice and can have what ever you want, and not what someone else determined.  Does it take longer, sure, but the benefits are pretty cool.  Use your creativity to make what you want.  Less than 2-3 months after completing my cabinet, I was outside wiring new light in.  Never would have considered that before and probably would have asked my dad to do it. 

Another part of building your own CP is you definitely understand the system, and are able to troubleshoot problems better.  And shock, there will be problems...   

When you get stuck, come to the board and ask questions to troubleshoot.  I have been relying the past couple of days on a few guys to help me through a couple software set up questions I've had.  Several people gave me feedback which help lead to a better solution. 

:woot

Vamp RN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:40 pm »
Clones just want you to know that your avatar is.........AWSOME!!  Go Bears!!

Now on to arcade stuff.  If I do decide to build my own CP is there somewhere for me to go to get the controlls I need in a pack?  Do I just order them one button at a time?  I really know next to nothing about this (still waiting on Saint's book).  I'm not sure what kind of sticks and buttons I need.  I realize a lot is just personal choice, but it has to be more complicated than that....right? 

Clones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2022, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »
thx on the avatar, when I found it, it was tampa bay logo.  WTF, we don't hate the bucs now green bay that's another story.

Check www.groovygamegear, http://therealbobroberts.net/, www.ultimarc.com  and you can also check things out on ebay.  I bought my joystikcks on ebay and I think my track ball also was an ebay. 

By using the book and starting to write down what you want, and possibly things you don't want or give a crap about, you start to fill in some blanks.  Like, I definitely wanted a pause button for when the phone rings or when my kid has a question.  A coin button helps in not having to keep putting quarters in and that is also if you have a working coin mechanism. 

Don't think to hard of a coin mechanism at first, I thought about putting a fake one there, and still ended up in the end with a real one.  By that time, the whole wire thing was a lot easier to conceptionalize.

Squid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2009, 09:35:47 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49:12 am »
I like using Google Sketchup for doing designs.  It seems powerful enough and still fairly simple to use.