Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: i want to be able to lock my system.  (Read 20340 times)

mvsfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
i want to be able to lock my system.
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »
What i am looking for is information on how to hardware lock an established (going on 7 years now) mame system to Sd cards or compact flash.

basically i want all unchanging data like game data and hiscore info to be stuck on a locked SD card using one of those IDE to SD interfaces. I also want to have plenty of backup cards i can just plug right back in to replace a failed card.

what i dont understand fully, is how much of your basic XP operating system data is required to remain read/write and how much of it can be locked to read only.

or could i just stick the whole OS onto An sd card and be done with it without it crashing?

thanks.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
Re: i want to be able to lock my system.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
What i am looking for is information on how to hardware lock an established (going on 7 years now) mame system to Sd cards or compact flash.

basically i want all unchanging data like game data and hiscore info to be stuck on a locked SD card using one of those IDE to SD interfaces. I also want to have plenty of backup cards i can just plug right back in to replace a failed card.

what i dont understand fully, is how much of your basic XP operating system data is required to remain read/write and how much of it can be locked to read only.

or could i just stick the whole OS onto An sd card and be done with it without it crashing?

thanks.

I see i got something wrong. Hiscore data you would definately want to be read/write.

Basically i want the whole core of the system to be read only and the basic os stuff thats required to have write access will go on a writable drive.

this takes the entire headache out of a HDD crash, a system failure, or a nasty virus since all i would have to do is reinstall the basics and at the same time i would be 100% certain with no guesswork that the failure or virus never could migrate to the important stuff.

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:07:26 pm »
I'd say if you're concerned about HDD failure, then get a solid state drive.

As far as infection goes, the only real protection is to never turn it on.

That aside, your best bet is to get a ghosting program to clone your HDD, and religiously back up at regular intervals. Preferably, use two spare drives, for redundancy.

I haven't seen a fool proof way to lock down a system yet. As soon as someone figures something out, someone else has hacked it.

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »
yeah, i know. i didnt say hack proof. im looking for hack resistant.

best thing ive come up with over the years is #1 if you can get away with it, example being its not a POS terminal or something that has to send data, never connect an embedded system to the internet.

the second thing would be local attacks. for the example of an arcade cabinet, dont have any external Drives or USB ports where someone could just slink up and plug in their usb flash drive and flash your system, or pop their dvd in, or such, while you leave a good game to go to the bathroom, im sure you get the idea.

Ive got a whole bay of easy access disk drives and card slots and usb ports so i can easily update things, but they are all closed up behind a big happ door with security locks and a hasp on top of that.

Ive also got a guinea pig.

ive got a pc that i test everything on first to see if any ill effects are noticed from an update or a new skin or whatever.

That is that PC's sole purpouse. if it gets eaten alive during a test, i dont give a crap.

truth is that ive got the physical show up at your house hardware hacker locked down and also the internet hacker searching open tcp ports is not even an issue.

my basic question that i am seeking an answer for is that lets just say for instance that some malicious bug gets to things and slips under all of the levels of security already in place,

my goal is to physically limit by using Hardware locked media so that the amount of damage that it could possibly do is severely limited Internally.

at the least i want to be able to make a backup of the OS, And Mame 32 and all related configurations to Mame,

So at rock bottom all i have to do is reinstall the OS and Mame, and everything else on top of that i dont even have to think about because its still all there unchanged.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »
I think ive figured out a solution.

i was looking at an ide pinout the other day and one of the wires on the ide cable is for a write signal.

so basically if i cut this wire ive got my lock dont i ?

option 2 is to get one of those ide to sd card boards that lets you use an sd card as an ide drive.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:44 am »
BartPE

edit: Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, July?! I thought the last post was this month! NVM then.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:19:51 pm by SavannahLion »

RexOdatis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2012, 03:58:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:49 am »
I'm taking my laptop into school to play music, but I want to lock my computer into iTunes so that other people can't get out of it, unless they have a password or something. Anyone got any ideas? I only want people to be able to access iTunes :)

RexOdatis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2012, 03:58:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:25:00 am »
Yes. If you are using Windows 7, click Start, then click the icon at the upper-right portion of hte Start menu, right above your login name. This will open the User Account Manager. On the Account Manager, click "Manage Your Credentials" and set a password for your account. This way, when you turn on your computer you will be required to enter a password to log on. Now, click OK on that window and close the User Account Manager.

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:31 am »
He wants to completely lock everything but iTunes, not everything and iTunes. An easy way to do this would be using Instantsheller and tick the box "CHANGE SHELL ONLY FOR CURRENT USER" (Create a new user called iTunes first) then make sure "CHANGE SHELL APPLICATION" is checked off. Click browse on "APPLICATION TO SHELL" and set it to your iTunes .exe

Click "I AM READY, DO IT!"

Then just restart your system and login to the User iTunes and you should only be able to use iTunes and wont be able to access the taskbar. Then simply add a password to your other account so only you can logout of iTunes and go into normal windows.

:cheers:

LInk to download Instantsheller - http://www.gameex.com/download/instantsheller.zip