Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Push button switches  (Read 1223 times)

Beretta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
Push button switches
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:05:41 pm »
was curious what peoples thoughts was on push button switches.

seems the options are:

cherry/e-switch (micro switch), less then a dollar to replace and standard

grovy gamer has 2 replacements:  Micro-Leaf, and  Versa-Micro, both about 2-3x the cost of standard micro switches, which can add up rather quickly on a full panel.
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71

and then i seen a review for these: leaf switch bracket for micro switch buttons
http://retroblast.arcadecontrols.com/reviews/leaf-switch_bracket-04272006-01.html

not sure current pricing, can't find a website i guess they must only do orders by phone or mail? anyone tried these? they look great.

anyway whats the good and bad of all these? i know the versa micro is new, im guessing it works by having a screw put intention inside lowering it's "break" point.

are any of these solutions really worth the money over the usual cherry style switch?
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

wweumina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2022, 04:56:31 am
Re: Push button switches
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:07:23 am »
I've tried the Cherry's and the Micro-Leaf.

On the Track and Field test, I seem to average slightly better scores with the Micro-Leaf (playing side by side to eliminate other variables).  The Micro-Leaf are definately much quieter and have a softer feel (less resistance and push back).  As to whether they are better, that is really up to you.  If you are used to old school leaf switches, they will probably be the better choice.  If your used to more modern games, stick to the Cherry's.  I wouldn't let a few bucks stop you though.  Think about the $$$ invested in other less important parts of cab.

I've just ordered some Versa-Micros.  These sound interesting as I've recently been manually 'tuning' a couple of Cherry's to change the feel a bit myself.  I'll let you know how I go with them.

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: Push button switches
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:11 am »
I've had half my buttons cherry and half micro leaf for a month now to try and decide.
I really like the quiet, smooth, more sensitive response of the Micro Leaf's, so I'm going all in on them for the whole panel

I am curious about the versa-micros