Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Donkey Kong Plus [FINISHED]  (Read 149383 times)

slasherman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 03:53:37 am
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong +
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 12:52:23 pm »
It's a very good game in my opinion
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:01:25 pm by slasherman »

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »
Donkey Kong 2 jumpman returns read more about it here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=74719.0

I don't have a board and as far as I know it isn't emulated in MAME.  I'd love to give it a try someday though!

MisfitMAME has it. 

I like it, but I feel that the new levels are either too simple or too complicated.  Also the sounds/colors are of too much for me to default it for my cabs load up game.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 02:20:07 pm »
Thanks guys - I'll look into it.

Almost there with the CP - the next thing I did was line up the joystick in the hole I had cut out. I just eyeballed it but I have a good eye and it looks like I got it dead-center. To help out with the process I installed the control panel overlay and sandwiched the joystick dustwasher in between the MDF/ABS panel and the overlay. All I had to do was center the dustwasher hole in the overlay.

Once it was lined up I flipped everything over, made sure the joystick was square to the panel and then traced it with a pencil. Then, using my router set to a 1/4" depth I freehanded out the rectangle I just drew.

Not bad, eh? It will take some fine tuning with the 4 corner bolts in order to secure it and make sure it is perfectly centered in the plastic control panel overlay.  Oh yeah, I'm using a Sanwa JLF in 4-way mode instead of the Nintendo original - I just like the feel.

More later.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:00 am »
That's looks great! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please keep the pics coming.
The joystick dust washer you sandwiched between the overlay and MDF, was this how the original DK was or is it just a personal choice? If I had artwork on my CP, I guess I wouldn't want to cover it up with a washer.

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 09:05:18 am »
That's looks great! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please keep the pics coming.
The joystick dust washer you sandwiched between the overlay and MDF, was this how the original DK was or is it just a personal choice? If I had artwork on my CP, I guess I wouldn't want to cover it up with a washer.

Thanks!  I put the dustwasher in between the overlay and the MDF just to center the joystick in the panel.  As of right now it is on top of the overlay (but I think the originals had it under the panel).  I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet (although I'm leaning towards leaving it on top).   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 09:45:49 am »
The next thing I did was route out some material on the bottom of the control panel in two places. First I cut the groove/slot for the metal plate/catch thing to sit in so the control panel can lie flush when installed.

It was pretty easy to do. I used a 1/4" straight cutting bit with my plunge router positioned against a straight edge. I marked off the end points and made the cut in two passes.

Here is the finished groove:

And this is what the setup looked like with the straight edge for the router to run along:

To set it up perfectly I just lowered the router to zero level and lined up the edge of the bit with my layout line. Then I just played with the straight edge and the clamps until I could run the router bit exactly along the layout line. Then I adjusted the depth of the bit and made the cut in one fairly smooth motion.

Second, I removed the material along the back edge so the control panel would fit in the cabinet properly. For whatever reason, the cabinet was designed so the back edge of the control panel sits in between the block of wood where the instruction card will eventually go and the control panel supports on the sides. I have no idea why they couldn't make this "slot" 9/16" and then not require the back edge of the control panel to be cut.

No big deal though. I set up the straight edge and router exactly the same way as when I cut the groove and just slowly removed the material working back towards the straight edge. I don't have any pictures of this part but here is the back edge of the original control panel so you can see what I'm talking about:

Next up - cutting the t-molding slot and installing everything.

More later.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2009, 11:39:16 am »
Jav

great documentation! just makes me want to build something! :cheers:

Donkey Kong 2 jumpman returns read more about it here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=74719.0

I don't have a board and as far as I know it isn't emulated in MAME.  I'd love to give it a try someday though!

MisfitMAME has it. 

I like it, but I feel that the new levels are either too simple or too complicated.  Also the sounds/colors are of too much for me to default it for my cabs load up game.

Chicken,

I have DK2 chip on my DK board and I love it
but I'd love to put it on my mame cab too

have you actually played it on misfit mame?

I hope it gets put into mame (I played an actual DK2 cab at funspot, it was great to see)
the guy who made it should sell the software rom too, I bet a bunch of people would pay for it (I would, even though I already own the physical rom)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:34:51 pm by Bender »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »
cabinet is looking great...i'd love to have a dk cabinet, but just dont have the room right now.  keep up the awesome work.

also, after reading this thread yesterday, i did some searching and got what i needed to play D2K on misfit mame.  it is pretty fun, and challenging.  i havent made it through all of the stages yet, as i only had about 10 minutes to play.  it is definitely worth looking into. 
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »
Just so people know

you can donate on Jeff's Romhack site for those of us useing DK2 on misfit mame
it's good karma!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 12:39:31 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm going to try and get DKII on there if I can figure out the workaround in MaLa for putting games in one gamelist that are played on different emulators.  I'll deal with that when I am setting up the computer.  How much is reasonable to donate to Jeff?

I've actually made a major decision in that department.  I have a cocktail table in my basement that works but nothing is refined (gamelists, bootup, etc.) and it rarely ever gets played.  It was the first thing I ever built a few years ago and I never quite finished it.  Something about it just isn't right and I think I need to do some serious work on it before it will be "finished" - there are better control options (U360s) available now and I just think it needs an overhaul.  

Anyway, I have decided to cannibalize the cocktail cabinet for its computer, monitor and iPac2 - I have a pretty decent set-up (KI and SFIII play perfectly) and the monitor is a 19" Vision Pro that has probably been on for 20 hours in its life.  I'm going to put both in the DK to save on costs right now.  The only thing I'll have to order is an ArcadeVGA (I want DK to look perfect).  

When I go back to finish the cocktail I'll get a new monitor and build a new computer.  It is a 3-sided one and I think I hate the third side - I'm going to take a saw to it and try to inlay something in the hole that will be left behind... I don't know - I'll cross that bridge another time.  The good news is that since I won't be waiting on parts or worrying about funds I'll be able to finish it much quicker.  I'm going to see if my Dad is around this weekend and he feels like helping me finish up...

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »
Sweet! finish it up so we can see! :angel:

I think whatever your feel comfortable with is fine, I'd think about how much they charge for classics in the Wii shop would be good ($5-10)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:36 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm going to try and get DKII on there if I can figure out the workaround in MaLa for putting games in one gamelist that are played on different emulators.

i am also wanting to do this with MALA, i did some searching and found this thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68419.0

which seems to be the answer..i havent tried it yet, since it seems like alot of work...but hopefully will in the next few days if i get a chance. i'll let you know how it works out.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:55 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm going to try and get DKII on there if I can figure out the workaround in MaLa for putting games in one gamelist that are played on different emulators.

i am also wanting to do this with MALA, i did some searching and found this thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68419.0

which seems to be the answer..i havent tried it yet, since it seems like alot of work...but hopefully will in the next few days if i get a chance. i'll let you know how it works out.

This is what I was going to go off of but since I am computer retarded I have no idea if I'll be able to get it to work.  The goal with this cab is to (1) make it look indistinguishable from an original DK - the computer will boot straight to MaLa which will launch DK immediately and (2) make it as user-friendly as possible when operating other games - I only want one gamelist with about 25-30 games.  The admin buttons are completely hidden  - no one will know they are there unless I tell them.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »
At the moment I have Mala loading DK automatically from the start. The only problem is that when I do exit DK to go to the Mala menu (for the very first time) I get a flash of the Windows desktop first. It only happens when exiting DK the first time after the autoload. Once I have entered the Mala games list I don't get any flashes of the desktop anymore thereafter. I've not really looked much into this as yet. Just thought I'd throw this out as you aim to do the same thing as me.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »
Nice work javeryh I like the cp overlay and stainless steel ball/joystick choice - it looks great!  I wish I had the good weather you seem to have in all those pics, drizzly grey days here kill the motivation a bit.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »
At the moment I have Mala loading DK automatically from the start. The only problem is that when I do exit DK to go to the Mala menu (for the very first time) I get a flash of the Windows desktop first. It only happens when exiting DK the first time after the autoload. Once I have entered the Mala games list I don't get any flashes of the desktop anymore thereafter. I've not really looked much into this as yet. Just thought I'd throw this out as you aim to do the same thing as me.

I noticed this as well - if you hide the start bar, turn the pointer into a pixel and make the wallpaper black with no icons it becomes barely noticeable.  That's the only solution I could think of but I'm sure there is something else out there that would work even better.

Nice work javeryh I like the cp overlay and stainless steel ball/joystick choice - it looks great!  I wish I had the good weather you seem to have in all those pics, drizzly grey days here kill the motivation a bit.

Thanks!  These pics were actually taken over the past 3 months or so - the weather has been nice in NJ for the past 2 weeks or so though...   

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »
Chicken,

I have DK2 chip on my DK board and I love it
but I'd love to put it on my mame cab too

have you actually played it on misfit mame?

I hope it gets put into mame (I played an actual DK2 cab at funspot, it was great to see)
the guy who made it should sell the software rom too, I bet a bunch of people would pay for it (I would, even though I already own the physical rom)

I have it on Misfit MAME, and I like it, like I said I am not sure that I love it yet.  Since you have the "real" deal, are the sounds different than in Misfit?  The music sounds more midi than the old school bleep bloop sounds that we know to love with DK.  Also, the barrels stage (DK2 stage 2, DK stage 1) is pink in Misfit rather than red.  Is that how the rom set looks as well.  Aside form that, it isn't bad, and I love the extra cut scenes.  I too can't beat the 3rd new stage, the one with all the pies and springs.  So that is frustrating, but at least it is a challenge.  I already donated some monies when I found it, it's funny, I felt bad MAMEing that game, but none of the other 1600+. 

Hmmmm. . .

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:12 pm »
well, i got mala set up so that d2k, running via misfitmame shows up in my main mame gamelist and all works well.  i followed that guide i posted earlier, with a few tweaks. 

as for your windows desktop problem, you can make the mouse cursor invisible, and set your windows wallpaper to either plain black, or to match your mala background..that way it isnt noticeable

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 12:11:23 am »

I have it on Misfit MAME, and I like it, like I said I am not sure that I love it yet.  Since you have the "real" deal, are the sounds different than in Misfit?  The music sounds more midi than the old school bleep bloop sounds that we know to love with DK.  Also, the barrels stage (DK2 stage 2, DK stage 1) is pink in Misfit rather than red.  Is that how the rom set looks as well. 

on the cab the colors and sounds are Identical to the original (I'm pretty sure he used the original code and modified it)
I haven't actually got it running on misfit mame yet, but it sounds like emulation issues

I already donated some monies when I found it, it's funny, I felt bad MAMEing that game, but none of the other 1600+. 

Hmmmm. . .

yeah, the large companies that are left I don't feel bad about, but most of the smaller ones don't exist any more, and the fact that there is no other way short of buying a physical board or cab to make a payment does make it easy to avoid feeling bad
and I can't tell you how may Namco museums and Williams/midway collections ect.  I've purchased over the years

but 1 guy who worked his ass off and has there's an easy way to donate, you gotta thought the guy a couple of bones
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:13:36 am by Bender »

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 04:23:25 am »
Sterling work as per usual Jav, but then again I don't expect anything less from you ;)

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 09:07:31 am »
I just noticed something else about the MisfitMAME version of DKII, and I wonder if there is a new version that I need.  I'll look later at home, doing that from work may not be the best idea.  But anywho, the foundry level (the first) is supposed to have fireballs that shoot up from the pits.  It seems that it starts at one, and works it's way up each time you go through.  Well the DKII I have doesn't have the fireballs at all, which could explain a lot.

Bender, does the first stage have at least the one fireball?

I thought this level was way too simple, and nothing more than a slow climb to the top.  Also, the only dangers were mis timed jumps and the dancing fireball at the top near the final ladder.

Foundry Level Info

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:19 am »
@ Chicken McNobody - I wonder what the problem is... I hope it is an emulation issue specific to your setup and not a general problem!  Maybe someone else could chime in and report how it is running...

@ Franco -  thanks buddy!  This cabinet has been challenging for me - I thought that a restoration would be easy but it is a lot harder than I anticipated.  I had the hardest time painting (which is thankfully over) and sanding the bondo just right.  The plywood was a mess along the back edge and it is very thin along there (to receive the back floor) and it was a lot of trial and error and jigs and stuff to get it straight and it's still not perfect.

@ Bender - I totally agree.  D2K couldn't have been easy to create and I don't mind paying for something like that at all.

@ severdhed - glad to hear it was easy to set up.  Are you experiencing the same problems as Chicken McNobody?  I might be asking some questions when I get that far!

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:04 am »
Sorry to keep hijacking your thread, but the work looks great!  And this is why I am glad that mine was a scratch build and not a restoration.  I know it's not 100%, nor am I worried that it needs to be since it is a MAME anyways.

Other than the control panel, it is at least 92.67% spot on though. . .

And on the dust rings, I have seen it various ways, I have seen it without the dust ring entirely (possibly undermounted,) with a small dust ring like you have, and even with a very large clear dust ring.  Personally for me, the dust ring helps hide my lack of accurate cutting skills, so I am all for it.  That and my girls and I like to make them spin on the joysticks, it makes that cool vibrating noise.  That is something I always remember doing as a youngster playing in the local arcades, so it makes me feel at home.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 11:03:15 am »
I just noticed something else about the MisfitMAME version of DKII, and I wonder if there is a new version that I need.  I'll look later at home, doing that from work may not be the best idea.  But anywho, the foundry level (the first) is supposed to have fireballs that shoot up from the pits.  It seems that it starts at one, and works it's way up each time you go through.  Well the DKII I have doesn't have the fireballs at all, which could explain a lot.

Bender, does the first stage have at least the one fireball?

I thought this level was way too simple, and nothing more than a slow climb to the top.  Also, the only dangers were mis timed jumps and the dancing fireball at the top near the final ladder.

Foundry Level Info

no shooting fireballs on Foundry first level, many fireballs on Foundry second level watch out!

do have link to how you go about setting up MisfitMame?

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 11:29:12 am »
no shooting fireballs on Foundry first level, many fireballs on Foundry second level watch out!

do have link to how you go about setting up MisfitMame?

Hmmm. . . that isn't it then.

I don't remember how I did the whole MisfitMAME thing, I did a google search and stumbled upon the program and 3 rom set files.  They contained a tone of various hacks, a lot of waste to be honest.  Who really need a 2600 graphic version of Donkey Kong?  Anywho, so I am sorry, I don't know specifically where I went.  I did this probably at least 6 months ago, back when I was only looking through this site, and not posting.  So I was not used to the idea of tracking my "work" on some of this stuff.

It wasn't hard for me, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out via Google.

The only worthy games in my opinion that I have played through misfit are the DKII and the Simpson's Tapper.  The Tapper was redone with Moe as the bartender, and the customers were redone to look like Homer, Chief Wiggum, Carl, Lenny, Flanders, and others.  The only problem I had with this otherwise great hack is that they left the Budwiser logo on the first stage!?!  With all this great looking work, it would have been 110% if the programming was changed to say Duff instead.  Oh well, maybe there will be an update.

Other than those two, the rest is really nothing more than redone graphics like fake vectors, and speed hacks.  Like in Ms. Pac-Man you can hold the button down to move faster than any of the ghosts.

Also, how the heckles do you pass this level?  I can't do if for crap in a hat!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 01:02:29 pm »
Alright - more progress...

The next thing I did was route the slot for the t-molding. There is no magic here - I just used my router and 1/16" slot cutting bit.  The slot is actually a little small but the t-molding fit in there nice and tight.

Here is a side profile of the t-molding as installed:

And here is what the finished edge looks like:

It looks nice!    :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »
One of the last things I had to do regarding construction was drill the holes to mount the joystick. This was a bit tricky since I was only leaving about 3/8" of material to screw into. This joystick needs to be secure because I imagine it will take a lot of abuse over the years. I was in the local Home Depot looking for a solution and I came across these:

They are perfect. There is a post that gets installed from the top and then the screw fits into the post from underneath. It makes things very secure. The only problem was getting the head of the post to be flush with the top of my control panel.

I eyeballed the placement of the stick, marked out the holes with a pencil and drilled them out. Next, I used some masking tape to cover each hole:

Then I placed the post in the hole (through the tape) and used a razor to trace the top and score the ABS plastic. The idea was to leave a circle made out of masking tape so I would know where to cut with the router but it didn't work as well as I had hoped. The bit caught onto the tape and removed it so all I had to go by was the score marks left by the razor. I'm sure a permanent marker or something could have done the job but oh well. Then I just used my 1/4" straight bit and my router set at the depth of the thickness of the head of the post and carefully removed enough ABS plastic so the head of the post would be flush. Like this:

Any imperfections here are hidden by the plastic control panel overlay. It worked great and the joystick is VERY secure.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »
Well, here it is. This took WAY longer than I thought it would (probably about 5 hours overall) but I am happy with the results.

I applied the instruction card to the back of the plastic control panel overlay with some scotch tape. It was way easier than I thought because I was under the impression that the instruction card was actually a sticker. Oops.  After that I installed all of the buttons and the joystick. 

I also peeled off the protective layer of plastic and it cleaned up really really nice. It is stunning in person and it looks like it came right out of the factory!

Next up - painting the cabinet. Ugh. I hated this part...

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »
looks so mint! :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 01:31:32 pm »
Aye very nice!  :cheers:

Looking forward to seeing the paint job :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:31 pm »
I am literally drooling right now.  

This makes me want to do a different MAME cabinet, and fake out a dedicated DK now.  The DK control panel, well most Nintendo 1P 1 button games have such a unique charm, and really add a lot of characted to their respective cabinets.  

This it top notch work!

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 02:47:45 pm »
I read an article somewhere whey that Jeff guy said that he tweaked the game and removed the fireballs in level 1 to reduce the difficulty..because it was apparently too challenging...i dont rememver where i read that though.

to Chicken McNobody, to complete that level, you must grab the big red Heart...once you do, it moves to another location..you have to keep getting it until it appears on one side of the pully system, which will make the other platform rise to the top so you can use it to cross that gap.

misfit mame was pretty easy to set up, just extract it and run it like normal mame.  i'll try to get a little step by step guide typed up for getting dk2 to show up in your main mala gamelist using misfit mame...hopefully sometime in the next few days.

to get back on topic...this cabinet is turning out great.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »
i'll try to get a little step by step guide typed up for getting dk2 to show up in your main mala gamelist using misfit mame...hopefully sometime in the next few days.

I'd be interested in this very much. I got Misfitmame just for DK2 and I haven't worked out how to do this myself.

The CP looks awesome man!!! Gratz on the mintyness of it! :)

I really hope my scaled down one turns out half as good. I've been thinking that I will have to have the button mountings moved a bit on the artwork. Or else the buttons will overlap or touch each other on a half size scale. I can't scale the buttons down in size.  :P

system01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »
Nice work jav.  That is a damn good looking CP.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2009, 11:37:18 pm »
awesome cab javeryh...makes me really want a DK cabinet now.

sorry to keep going off topic, but it seems as if there is interest on how to get D2K setup in MALA under the mame game list, here is how i did it:

the donkey kong 2 rom file is called d2k.zip. since it is not a master, it requires dkong.zip be present as well...the problem is if you have both roms in the misfit mame roms directory, Donkey Kong will show up twice in the list..once from mame, and once from misfit mame.  in order to bypass this, i merged the two rom files into d2k.zip.

first, here are file locations on my system.  everything from this point assumes you are using these locations.  if not, you will need to adjust your paths to match your configuration.

mame is located at C:\mame\mame.exe
misfit mame is located at c:\misfitmame\mis.exe

the game rom, bezel artwork and audio samples must be in the appropriate folder within the misfitmame directory
the marquee and snap must be in the appropriate folder within the MAME directory

You must add rom information to the mame.xml file which is located at c:\mame\mame.xml.  add this info at the very end of the file.  (this must be done for each rom you want to show up in the list, this guide only covers d2k...)

<game name="d2k">
                                  <description>Donkey Kong 2</description>
                                  <year>2009</year>
                                  <manufacturer>Jeff Kulczycki</manufacturer>
                                  <driver status="good" emulation="good"/>
   </game>

You must also create a file called mame.cmd in the mame directory (this can be done via notepad, change filetype to all when saving).  it should contain the following: (you may need to adjust this if your mame directories are in a different location:

if "%2" == "C:\misfitmame\roms" goto misfitmame

mame.exe %1
exit

:misfitmame
cd C:\misfitmame
mis.exe %1 -skip_gameinfo -mouse
exit

the -mouse is only needed because on my cabinet, button 1 is a mouse button.

in MALA, under Mame config>basic>command line, you must add the path parameter (must be a space between them)
%rom% %path%  

also, you need to specify an additional rom path.  select rom path 2, and enter C:\misfitmame\roms

you must also change the mame executable from c:\mame\mame.exe to c:\mame\mame.cmd

at this point you will need to  refresh the main games list.  if you did everything right, Donkey Kong 2 should show up in the list, and will open with misfitmame, while still having everything else open up in regular mame.

the only challenging part is locating the files you will need, but that's what your good friend Google is for :)

you can use the audio samples from dkong, since i dont think there are a unique set for this game.  i havent been able to find a good marquee image yet, but i'll keep looking.

i can't take credit for this, most of this info was found in that thread i posted earlier, but some of it was confusing because he was referencing executable files that belong to some other program (closemul.exe???)  it is not necessary.

good luck.

jav..i'll try to stop hijacking your thread now.  keep thos pics coming...i'm an loving this cabinet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2009, 09:10:02 pm »
AWESOME!  Thanks severdhed - this is going to come in very handy when I set up the computer.

I don't have a photo update at the moment but I spent 2 full days this weekend putting the monitor in the cab.  I can't believe how difficult it was and I couldn't have done it without my dad's help.  He came over around 10 on both days and stayed until about 8 each night.  We had to take a Vision Pro monitor out of its horizontal mount and put it into an MDF frame.  Then we had to figure out a way to support it internally without drilling anything into the side panels.  When the monitor comes off of the horizontal frame it no longer has any way to stand up without someone holding onto it.  There is also a panel with electronics which no longer has any support.  It was challenging to say the least.  I'm exhausted right now but the monitor is in place and it looks pretty good.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2009, 01:36:13 am »
I can relate to the monitor mounting. I had to muscle a 27" WG into my cab with a custom hack mounting, solo...wasn't easy. Thankfully, you had your Dad to assist you.  Can't wait to see how that turned out.  Very interested in how you handled the mounting via the MDF and vertical.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2009, 02:08:02 am »
Edit: I didnt read page 2
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2009, 02:23:50 am »
By changeing the pointer to a dot in windows might not remove it completely.
I got the white pointer for a split second befor it changed to a dot...
If you're using Windows XP you'll need to replace the default pointer in the user32.dll file also to hide it completely.

The standard cursors are stored in the User32.dll file. And to make things worse the user32.dll is backed up in dllcache.
You'll need to edit the user32.dll and replace it in it's original place and in the dllcache.

You'll need the following..
1.) A blank cursor, or the smallest one you can live with showing at bootup and shutdown.
2.) A Windows XP install CD. (I don't think it needs to be the one you installed from)
3.) ResHack program get it here ----> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
4.) Administrator password to the PC (if any).

In this example I'll call the cursor for blank.cur.

Put you blank.cur in the cursors folder in your windows directory. (c:/windows/cursors)
Just so you know where you have it.

Download and extract Reshack to any folder. Run the "ResHacker.exe" from that folder.

Click on "File" and then "Open". Browse to the user32.dll file (c:\windows\system32\user32.dll) and open it.

Expand the cursor folder, here you'll find all standard cursors neatly setup in their own folders.
find the cursors you'd like to change. I chose to replace the "arrow" and the "arrow and hourglas".
Rightclick on the flower-icon for the cursor you'd like to replace and choose "replace resource".
Replace it with the blank.cur that we placed in c:\windows\cursors.
Repeat with any other cursors you'd like to replace.
The next IMPORTANT step is to select "SAVE AS"!!! NOT "save"!!
Save it as user32new.dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

Next step is to replace the user32.dll file(s).

Insert the WinXP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive and then restart the computer.
Select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
if you are prompted to do so.

When the “Welcome to Setup” screen appears, press R to start Recovery Console.
Here you might be asked to enter the admin password.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
cd windows\system32

To rename the User32.dll file, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren user32.dll user32.bak

Then rename the User32new.ddl to user32.dll by typing the following command, and the press ENTER:
ren user32new.dll user32.dll

The final step is to replace the backup windows stores in the dllcache folder.
copy your user32.dll to the dllcache folder by typing the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy user32.dll c:\windows\system32\dllcache\

Press "Y" to overwrite the file and your done.
Take out the Windows XP cd and type exit in the prompt to exit the Recovery Consloe and restart your PC.

Now the arrow cursor at startup will be replaced with your blank.cur.
Note that when you enter Windows the cursor that's set in cursors in your control panel WILL be shown. (unless your using the default ones., I think)
Just set all cursors there to blank.cur and you've completely hidden the cursors in Windows.

ENJOY!

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2009, 07:36:29 am »
An alternative method for this is to boot the PC with a universal boot disc instead of the XP install CD.

The most important thing is to get the PC launched without loading any of the .dll files you wish to replace.

I made my own boot CD, using the BartPE method.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?