Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Donkey Kong Plus [FINISHED]  (Read 150999 times)

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong + [03.01.2010 - Punch List]
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »
One other thought I had regarding Mala losing focus... Do you have the Reorder Layout option ticked in Mala (see attached)? I found that when it was ticked, I had a problem with Mala losing focus. When it wasn't ticked, the problem went away. Although in my case there were other issues that required me to enable it. But have you checked this setting?

Thank goodness I read this thread again. This has solved all the crashing woes on my DK bartop!  :applaud:

I was convinced that it was some corrupted videos for certain games in the MaLa menu. It always seemed to crash on exiting certain games or when that game was selected in the MaLa list (hence displaying the video). But I had this option unticked in my setup... so I ticked it and the problems have disappeared completely! I do notice that each video now needs an extra second to load on exiting a game. But simply browsing through the list has no such extra delay.

Thanks for this little nugget of info!  :cheers:

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »
You should groom your kid to be the next Billy Mitchell  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:25 pm »
Hey Javerhy where did ya get the picture for your avatar?  The Donkey Kong throwing the Barrel....  Great!!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:12 pm
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong +
« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »
Hey Javerhy where did ya get the picture for your avatar?  The Donkey Kong throwing the Barrel....  Great!!

It's from that video everyone was posting a few months ago.  Pixel Attack or 8-Bit Attack or something like that.  

Small update:  I figured out the MaLa and focus issue.  It ended up being an easy fix with an autohotkey script.  Every time the "ESC" button is pressed (taking the player back to the front end and gamelist) a left mouse click is simulated 0.5 seconds after the button press.  This ensures MaLa remains the top window.  It's been working for a few months now without any trouble.  I haven't figured out the sheller though - I tried it and it messed everything up (I had to go back to a safe point and restore) so for now I still have all the XP junk on boot up.  Not a huge deal.

Also, a friend asked me for before and after pics so I cobbled the pic below together.  Finally, I just got an iPhone 4 so I'm going to try and take some video of the cabinet in action and post it to YouTube or something.

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong + [VIDEO!!]
« Reply #284 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »
I finally got the chance to make a short video of how the cabinet works.  It was actually an excuse to try out the video feature on my new iPhone.  Enjoy!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #285 on: July 21, 2010, 09:18:30 pm »
I'm doing something slightly similar with a Q*Bert and your hidden button idea may be copied.   :cheers:

This is a very impressive build.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #286 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:01 pm »
Nice video javeryh!
Only 91 plays on DK since last year?  j/k  >:D
I see that you've been spreading the playtime throughout the other games you have there.

As for the windows boot-screen, was the image you were using a 215x147 .bmp file with 16 colors (NOT 16-bit)?
What method did you go with?  /BOOTLOGO option in the BOOT.INI (with /NOGUIBOOT)?

How is playing Joust on a vertical monitor? Joust 2 was on a vertical one, but I guess that game wasn't as popular.
...and Gyruss with a 4-way joystick?? That's gotta be a test in patience right there.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #287 on: July 21, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »
Nice video javeryh!

+1  :cheers:

I love videos like this. Nothing like seeing all those months of static images come to life. Dare I say it looks better in motion than on the stills and we know they look terrific!

Thanks for sharing this with us.  :cheers:

Oh and I love the "Pause button in case you gotta pause the game and go to the bathroom or *something*" lol...as a family guy there are *always* lots of somethings aren't there?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:39:59 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
« Reply #288 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:31 am »
I enjoyed it too  :)  hope you sort out the boot logo, it's cool to hide Windows altogether.  I have done it myself, but ages ago. Hmm, I wonder if Windows 7 will be a challenge to mod the bootlogo.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #289 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:27 am »
Javeryh, for completely hiding windows, I'd highly recommend using WinCustomize's 'Bootskin' program. I've had great luck with it, and it's completely reversible.

I've done this a few times now (hiding windows) and I feel comfortable enough about it now that I could help someone else do it.

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:12 am »
I'm doing something slightly similar with a Q*Bert and your hidden button idea may be copied.   :cheers:

This is a very impressive build.

Thanks!  The hidden buttons definitely weren't my idea but I really like them. You cannot tell at all that it isn't a "real" Donkey Kong cabinet because there are no extra visible buttons or controls but you get the added benefit of a lot more games.  

If you do decide to hide the buttons make sure to recess them so the tops of the buttons are flush with the surface - you have to drill a large hole the size of the button with bezel to the depth of the button top and then drill a small hole all the way through (1-1/8").  Then just round over the lip with some sandpaper.  It is worth the extra effort to completely hide the buttons.   :cheers:

Nice video javeryh!
Only 91 plays on DK since last year?  j/k  >:D
I see that you've been spreading the playtime throughout the other games you have there.

As for the windows boot-screen, was the image you were using a 215x147 .bmp file with 16 colors (NOT 16-bit)?
What method did you go with?  /BOOTLOGO option in the BOOT.INI (with /NOGUIBOOT)?

How is playing Joust on a vertical monitor? Joust 2 was on a vertical one, but I guess that game wasn't as popular.
...and Gyruss with a 4-way joystick?? That's gotta be a test in patience right there.

heh, I've reset that counter a couple of times now - at least twice I had a crashing problem when I got to 100 plays because the counter wasn't originally designed to hold more than 2 digits (or the font was too big with 3 digits or something).  It took a while to figure out what the problem was on that!

As for the XP boot screen - I just followed the wiki on how to hide windows and couldn't get it to work for some reason.  I also tried Instant Sheller and that didn't work either.  The main problem is that I absolutely need an autohotkey script to run in the background all the time for whenever I press the Exit button otherwise MaLa loses focus and doesn't think it is the top window anymore.  There are a lot of things I had to configure to get everything working just right and I'm kind of scared to tinker some more!

Joust is OK.  I have a few horizontal games on there that I like because the controls work (Tapper, Joust, Klax, Mr Do!'s Wild Ride to name a few).  It isn't ideal but it's either that or nothing.  Gyruss actually plays OK too - it isn't nearly as frustrating as you would think.   :cheers:

Nice video javeryh!

+1  :cheers:

I love videos like this. Nothing like seeing all those months of static images come to life. Dare I say it looks better in motion than on the stills and we know they look terrific!

Thanks for sharing this with us.  :cheers:

Oh and I love the "Pause button in case you gotta pause the game and go to the bathroom or *something*" lol...as a family guy there are *always* lots of somethings aren't there?

Thanks Epyx - you are absolutely right about the "or something" comment!  As I was saying it I was thinking "should I mention the wife and kids?" and then I thought better of it in case they watch the video!  I also like watching these types of videos - it really gives you a sense as to how it all works.  I am even more impressed with people who can shoot good videos and not sound like a jackass.  I did like 3 different takes and then just said the heck with it and posted the video.   :cheers:

I enjoyed it too  :)  hope you sort out the boot logo, it's cool to hide Windows altogether.  I have done it myself, but ages ago. Hmm, I wonder if Windows 7 will be a challenge to mod the bootlogo.

Thanks Ond (when are you finishing yours??).  I'm hoping we can continue to use XP forever as far as MAME builds are concerned.  I don't have the room in my brain to figure out something else!   :cheers:

Javeryh, for completely hiding windows, I'd highly recommend using WinCustomize's 'Bootskin' program. I've had great luck with it, and it's completely reversible.

I've done this a few times now (hiding windows) and I feel comfortable enough about it now that I could help someone else do it.

Hmmm.... I haven't tried that one yet!  Maybe I'll give it a try when I get a chance (and get your advice on how to restore everything when I inevitably screw it up!).   :cheers:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong + [VIDEO!!][07.22.2010]
« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »
looks great, that turned out really well.  Good job
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2010, 05:59:02 am »
heh, I've reset that counter a couple of times now - at least twice I had a crashing problem when I got to 100 plays because the counter wasn't originally designed to hold more than 2 digits (or the font was too big with 3 digits or something).  It took a while to figure out what the problem was on that!

Great work as usual from you! Looks beautiful.

Where did you get the counter? Will it work with any frontend?

Encryptor

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:27 am »
Looks incredible Jav!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

you do have to get rid of windows though
I've learned the hard way to actually hide windows first, then set up everything else (doesn't help you now though)
I'd see if you can clone the harddrive then mess with it

It just seems worth it to make that thing perfect, it just so good except for that windows stuff just takes you right out of the arcade felling

or you could delay the monitor starting up for a few seconds so you'd never see that stuff
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:54:13 pm by Bender »

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »

or you could delay the monitor starting up for a few seconds so you'd never see that stuff

How would you go about that?

Thanks

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2010, 10:48:39 pm »
one way to do that is to install a second video card, and setting it as the primary device in the bios..  it can be a cheap crappy pci card, it doesnt really matter, as you will connect your monitor to the other card.  this way, the card with the monitor will not be activated until windows loads.

setting up windows to be hidden really isnt that bad...the wiki is pretty thorough with steps on how to get it working. the only time i ever had a problem getting it to work, there was a conflict with a dell usb wireless adapter utility, no matter what, if that was installed, i could never load Mala as shell. 

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2010, 11:05:37 pm »
Jav, been following this project for a while, looks great, love it.  Great job.  I have been looking for a Nintendo cab to follow your example.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:19 am »
This really is an outstanding project.
Excellent work.
I'm hoping to get a Nintendo cabinet in the near future.
Like many I also really like the hidden buttons.
Great work !

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »

How would you go about that?

Thanks

Also there is a smart strip which you can set a delay in .5 to 60 sec see here scroll to bottom of the page

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:27 am »
Truely beautiful. . .

Now mine is not nearly as pristine as your, and it's a 2 player 6 button MAME reproduction.  But I know you must feel as I do just looking at the finished product.  I will sometimes just stand next to it and admire the art, and the CP, and just let the whole peice soak in. 

What's next?

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »
Just saw the video.. Looks fantastic. I really liked the DK frontend.  :applaud:

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2010, 07:27:43 pm »

Encryptor

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2010, 07:57:52 pm »
Great job JH!
Love the way it turned out.

joeks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 02:14:29 pm
« Reply #303 on: August 02, 2010, 08:09:46 am »
Hi Javeryh!

The DK cabinet is looking great! You finished building before me :)
I just started working on my scratch-build Donkey Kong cabinet again, after almost a year.
Almost finished now, you have seen my blog before (www.donkeykongarcade.blogspot.com).

The thing is, i am now in the midst of restoring my coin door and coin mechs,
when i stumbled upon a pic of you posted on your blog, http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CXccc8RIW9I/SoH-v2wkRgI/AAAAAAAAB3Y/q20O1l293a0/s1600-h/DK+Coin+Door+007.jpg.
Since you bought new coin mechs, do you still have those old coin reject thingies?
If so, i would like to buy them from you for use on my cab :) Those were missing on my coin door.

-Barry

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2010, 05:14:47 pm »

Encryptor

to answer your question, that counter is a function built into MaLa, i'm not sure if other front ends offer this or not. I stumbled across it in a layout that i downloaded, i thought it was a cool feature and decided to add it to my DK mala layout.  It is pretty cool to see how many times a game has been played.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »
looks great, that turned out really well.  Good job

Thanks severdhed - your MaLa layout was the perfect finishing touch!   :cheers:

heh, I've reset that counter a couple of times now - at least twice I had a crashing problem when I got to 100 plays because the counter wasn't originally designed to hold more than 2 digits (or the font was too big with 3 digits or something).  It took a while to figure out what the problem was on that!

Encryptor

Thanks Encryptor - severdhed put that layout together actually.  I think he modified the one for download over at John's Arcade.  It came out fantastic - as if DK wasn't enough, the real "wow" moment for my friends is when I show them the front end and all the other gamers it can play.

Looks incredible Jav!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

you do have to get rid of windows though
I've learned the hard way to actually hide windows first, then set up everything else (doesn't help you now though)
I'd see if you can clone the harddrive then mess with it

It just seems worth it to make that thing perfect, it just so good except for that windows stuff just takes you right out of the arcade felling

Thanks Bender - I agree about getting rid of Windows.  I might just look into delaying the monitor starting up - that's a great idea.  I tried hiding windows but just couldn't get it to work with the autohotkey script I need to keep MaLa as the top window. 

Jav, been following this project for a while, looks great, love it.  Great job.  I have been looking for a Nintendo cab to follow your example.

Thanks - I looked for this one for a while.  One will eventually come up.  I love these cabs!  :cheers:

This really is an outstanding project.
Excellent work.
I'm hoping to get a Nintendo cabinet in the near future.
Like many I also really like the hidden buttons.
Great work !

Thanks!  The hidden buttons are an awesome feature.  I stole that idea from Buckethead's project (I think).  There's almost no original thought in my DK project!   :cheers:

Truely beautiful. . .

Now mine is not nearly as pristine as your, and it's a 2 player 6 button MAME reproduction.  But I know you must feel as I do just looking at the finished product.  I will sometimes just stand next to it and admire the art, and the CP, and just let the whole peice soak in. 

What's next?

You are right - I love the way it looks in my dining room and I get quite a few compliments from friends that come over and my wife gets quite a few "you let him put that thing in the dining room?" comments from their wives.   ;D

I really like your cabinet - it was one of the threads I read through multiple times as I was doing this project.  Next up for me is finishing my Woody clone which I hope to get back to this month.  The wife and kids really need to go visit my in-laws for a week or two so I can make some progress!   :cheers:

Just saw the video.. Looks fantastic. I really liked the DK frontend.  :applaud:

Thanks Kman - the DK front end sure is sweet!   :cheers:

Great job JH!
Love the way it turned out.

Thanks DaOld Man!  Next up is my rotating monitor project so stay tuned for a ton of PMs I'm sure.   ;D

Hi Javeryh!

The DK cabinet is looking great! You finished building before me :)
I just started working on my scratch-build Donkey Kong cabinet again, after almost a year.
Almost finished now, you have seen my blog before (www.donkeykongarcade.blogspot.com).

The thing is, i am now in the midst of restoring my coin door and coin mechs,
when i stumbled upon a pic of you posted on your blog, http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CXccc8RIW9I/SoH-v2wkRgI/AAAAAAAAB3Y/q20O1l293a0/s1600-h/DK+Coin+Door+007.jpg.
Since you bought new coin mechs, do you still have those old coin reject thingies?
If so, i would like to buy them from you for use on my cab :) Those were missing on my coin door.

-Barry

Hey Barry - Good to hear you are going to finish up your cabinet.  Unfortunately, I already sold my old coin mechs after getting the new ones from Asahi Seiko.  They were expensive but worth it to me because they are brand new - I could never have restored the ones I had to look that nice...   :cheers:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:08 pm »
I'm proud to say I'm getting a Nintendo cabinet.
Your thread was of great inspiration.
Looking to try some new things with this project and I can't wait.
I love (and am stealing) the idea of the extra buttons.
I also plan on using MALA as well as the layout from John's Arcade.
I'm hoping however I have better luck hiding Windows......fingers crossed.
Perhaps a question better suited for the software thread, but within MALA can the PC easily be shut down using a button ?
Do you know ?

Thanks

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »
i think mala has that option. the other option is to set windows power options to shut down when the power button is pressed. then you can wire an arcade pushbutton to the pc power switch and use it to turn the cabinet on and off

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »
i think mala has that option. the other option is to set windows power options to shut down when the power button is pressed. then you can wire an arcade pushbutton to the pc power switch and use it to turn the cabinet on and off

Thanks Severdhed,

I never even thought to take a look @ the power options.
I think that could be a really simple and very effective option.
(sorry, by no means wanted to take away from this thread....................I love that DK cabinet!)

sk8ersublime

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:39:02 pm
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »
I dont think I saw this in the thread...but what are your specs for your computer? I am more interested in the Video card...i just got myself a DK jr. monitor that I am about to recap and I may use it in my DK scratch build from 6 months ago... did you get an ArcadeVGA?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2010, 06:35:57 pm »
I dont think I saw this in the thread...but what are your specs for your computer? I am more interested in the Video card...i just got myself a DK jr. monitor that I am about to recap and I may use it in my DK scratch build from 6 months ago... did you get an ArcadeVGA?

No ArcadeVGA. 

Motherboard:
ECS 761GX-M754 (3.0C) w/XPM 3100+ AMD Athlon XP Mobile 3100+ Socket 754 SiS 761 GX Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Set

Power Supply:
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply

RAM (I ordered 2 of these for 1GB total RAM):
CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS512MB400

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Monitor :
Happ Vision Pro (19")

This is all overkill for such a simple set up and I'm thinking about switching it out one of these days if I can figure out how to use a laptop and have it power on the same way (right now I have a button on the back of the cab wired to the pins on the motherboard - one press for on and off).   This computer and monitor were initially in my cocktail cabinet but since I want to redo the entire thing I stripped out all the parts.  :cheers:

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
Overall how much do you think you spent on this project, estimate start to finish....?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:26 pm »
Overall how much do you think you spent on this project, estimate start to finish....?

This is most of it not counting the computer.

Cabinet:

* Cabinet and coin door: $36 (I still can't believe it)
    * Zinsser BIN primer (1 gallon): $20 from Home Depot
    * Blue paint (1 gallon): $45 from Sherwin Williams (way expensive, but worth it)
    * Black paint (1 quart - Rustoleum semi-gloss): $8 from Home Depot
    * Bondo: $12 from Home Depot
    * Rubber feet: $2 from Home Depot

Control Panel:

* Control panel overlay: $30 from eBay
    * Control panel instruction card underlay: $5 from Arcade Shop
    * Button set for Nintendo Classic control panels: $15 from MikesArcade.com
    * Nintendo Control Panel bolt set (8 bolts/nuts): $10 from MikesArcade.com
    * 3 Nintendo button holders (with microswitches): $28 from MikesArcade.com
    * Nintendo CP Strike Set: $5 from MikesArcade.com
    * Joystick (Sanwa JLF) and harness: $35 from lizardlick.com
    * 1/16" ABS plastic (24" x 24"): $17 from eBay
    * 1/2" MDF panel: $0 (on hand)

Art:

* Marquee: $40 from Arcade Shop
    * Side Art: $65 from QuarterArcade
    * Bezel: $45 from Arcade Shop.com
    * Bezel instruction card decal: $5 from Arcade Shop
    * Nintendo coin door decals: $6 from ThisOldGame

Misc. Parts:

* Light: $12 from Home Deopt
    * Marquee/bezel retainers: $17 from MikesArcade.com
    * 9/16" t-molding: $10 from Arcade Shop
    * 19" Tri-Res CGA/EGA/VGA monitor: $239+$28 S/H from Arcade Shop
    * Computer/PCB
    * Powdercoating coin door: $75 from local shop
    * Asahi Seiko Coin Mechs (2): $76 factory direct

It started off cheap but like every one of these projects the costs add up over time.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »
May I ask what you did with the original control panel that you used as a model ?

I'm planning on converting my Nintendo cab into a DK and need a bare CP.

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:37 pm »
May I ask what you did with the original control panel that you used as a model ?

why not cut a new one?

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »
As for the XP boot screen - I just followed the wiki on how to hide windows and couldn't get it to work for some reason.  I also tried Instant Sheller and that didn't work either.  The main problem is that I absolutely need an autohotkey script to run in the background all the time for whenever I press the Exit button otherwise MaLa loses focus and doesn't think it is the top window anymore.  There are a lot of things I had to configure to get everything working just right and I'm kind of scared to tinker some more!

As for removing the boot screen, it should work fairly simply using Windows XP native program MSCONFIG.  Basically, you just 'run' MSCONFIG...

You should see this...

Select the BOOT.INI tab, and click the /NOGUIBOOT option so it is selected...

Click OK and you'll need to reboot.

The first time you reboot, it will give you a message that it has made the changes.  I didn't take a screenshot, but there is a checkbox that says "click me if you don't want to see this message again".  Select it, and you won't see that message in the future.  This is a better option than installing another third-party piece of software, as it's built into Windows XP itself.  I have this on all of my computers, since I'd rather not see the Windows logo when I boot.

Good luck.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »

I mailed it back to Bender (he sent it to me so I could make a copy).  I'm sure if you ask he will hook you up if he still has it.   :cheers:

As for removing the boot screen, it should work fairly simply using Windows XP native program MSCONFIG.  Basically, you just 'run' MSCONFIG...

The first time you reboot, it will give you a message that it has made the changes.  I didn't take a screenshot, but there is a checkbox that says "click me if you don't want to see this message again".  Select it, and you won't see that message in the future.  This is a better option than installing another third-party piece of software, as it's built into Windows XP itself.  I have this on all of my computers, since I'd rather not see the Windows logo when I boot.

Good luck.

Awesome - I will give this a try.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:48 pm »
Rick: I just tried your suggestion and I like it.
Thanks for the info.

Now if we can just get rid of the "windows is shutting down" message.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Let me do some research. I'm pretty sure there should be a way to kill that too. Perhaps a combination of a black background and killing off the message somehow.

Perhaps TweakUI has a setting. Check it out, its a M$ PowerToy. If not, check out "MaximumPC.com" and look under their tips for speeding up Windows boot and shutdown times. Last time I did their list, I could shutdown to cold in ~10 seconds.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »
Thanks for the info.

this info is in the wiki under the Hiding Windows section.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Hiding_Windows

here is how to get rid of the shutting down messages:

Getting rid of the "Loading settings" Popup screens

The following will hide the dialog box that appears that the beggining of Windows startup informing you that the system is "Loading Settings".
To do this,follow these steps:
Go to, Start Menu -> Run and enter regedit
Navigate to entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Policies>System
If there is an entry for "DisableStatusMessages" set it to 1 (the digit one)
If there is no entry, right-mouse click the "System" word, and select New->DWORD value, and enter "DisableStatusMessages", right-mouse to edit the value of it, and enter 1 (the digit one).