Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Donkey Kong Plus [FINISHED]  (Read 149350 times)

slasherman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 03:53:37 am
Re: javeryh's Donkey Kong +
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:51 am »

Also, how the heckles do you pass this level?  I can't do if for crap in a hat!

Thats easy it dont even got a flame on the second level yet....

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:52 am »
OK, next up - how I got the exterior looking all pretty and stuff...

Bondo is awesome.  First, I laid the cab down on its side to make it easier to work on. I sanded the entire surface using 100 grit sandpaper just to rough it up so the bondo would have something to stick to. Then I started patching the holes and dings. I had to work fast because after mixing the hardener there's only about 4-5 minutes before it sets.

Here are a couple of close-ups so you can see how sloppy I was. The edges were a mess in some spots but it all just sanded smooth and (hopefully) no one will ever know.

If anyone is interested, I used this type of bondo (there are several different brands/types to choose from):

It was easy enough to work with - the real challenge in making it look nice was in the sanding and painting.

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2009, 10:15:00 am »
After sanding all of that bondo nice and smooth I enlisted the help of my daughter who has really taken an interest in arcade machines (I think she just likes hanging out with her dad).  She inspected the sides and noticed several imperfections by running her fingers over the surface which she circled with a pencil (thanks Bella!). Then I applied some additional bondo in those spots and sanded everything smooth again.

As you can see in some of the pictures there were several spots along the back edge that needed to be filled in so I clamped a piece of scrap wood behind the panel in order to apply the bondo. Before applying the bondo I wrapped the scrap wood (which was actually fireplace kindling) in plastic so the bondo wouldn't stick to it.

It worked great - I'm not sure how strong it will be but I don't envision that area taking a beating or anything so I think I'll be OK. The tricky part was getting a nice clean edge along the back. 

Getting closer...   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »
After getting everything nice and smooth (well, presentable at least) I started painting.  There's nothing special about my technique - I am using Zinsser BIN Primer and so far I've put on 4 coats using a foam roller and a paintbrush (for the inside corners). I sanded with 400 grit sandpaper in between coats and the entire surface is fairly smooth. It isn't perfect by any stretch and there is some "orange peel" effect over the entire surface but it came out looking great.

You gotta love the shot in an unlit garage but whatever. I didn't take many pictures of this process since it is hard enough to do without worrying about my camera. Plus, this part is boring.   ;D

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »
Next up was painting the black interior surfaces...   I had to be careful taping everything because a straight and clean line is important to the overall look of the finished cabinet. I let the first coat dry overnight and then woke up really early to put on a second coat prior to going to work.  I'm using Rustoleum brand Black (Semi-Gloss) latex paint.  It dries very smooth.

It came out nice - I am really particular (i.e. anal) when it comes to this type of stuff and my stupid brain can't accept that rolling on paint will never look as nice as laminate. There's not much more I can do to make it look nicer.

More later.   :cheers:

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2009, 03:53:41 pm »
re: the "extra" hole in the CP.  It's a Nintendo factory thing.  They all have it, AFAIK.

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »
you can actualy get it smooth with no orange peel effect.just keep sanding man.i did the very same with my cab.lots of zinsser and sandpaper.

i am painting it now,rustoleum enamel and i am not happy with it,it looks too painted (if you get my meaning)

so i am actualy wet sanding it now between coats.it gets rid of that painted look but,leaves it hazy looking.i will just get the paint on,get it sanded and see what i end up with.then i will think about the shine after.

dont know how you are going to do the finish or your cab but,theres nothing worse than trying to make a painted cab not look painted!
:)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2009, 04:10:06 pm »
re: the "extra" hole in the CP.  It's a Nintendo factory thing.  They all have it, AFAIK.

heh, you learn something new every day! 

you can actualy get it smooth with no orange peel effect.just keep sanding man.i did the very same with my cab.lots of zinsser and sandpaper.

i am painting it now,rustoleum enamel and i am not happy with it,it looks too painted (if you get my meaning)

so i am actualy wet sanding it now between coats.it gets rid of that painted look but,leaves it hazy looking.i will just get the paint on,get it sanded and see what i end up with.then i will think about the shine after.

dont know how you are going to do the finish or your cab but,theres nothing worse than trying to make a painted cab not look painted!

yeah, I know what you mean... I have already completed the paint job and it isn't perfect but it is more than good enough.  The last cabinet I finished I went a little crazy with the sanding to get it looking like plastic but I just didn't have it in me this time.  I used a high quality paint that dried really nice.  Painting is probably my least favorite thing and it's the only time this hobby feels like work to me.

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2009, 03:20:00 am »
I like it. Keep up the great work.  :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:28 am »
Thanks Kman!

Next up was applying the powder blue paint on the sides and front of the cabinet. The goal here was to apply several thin coats in order to achieve as flat of a finish as possible. The smoother the finish, the nicer it looks and the better chance I have of actually putting this thing somewhere in my house.

I went to Sherwin-Williams to get some high quality paint and I think I got some good stuff. You can get the formula off of the picture.

I was going to get an oil-based product but due to environmental laws in my area they could only sell me a quart and on top of that they didn't have the right base for the color codes I had so I ended up going with latex. The guy assured me that it was their flagship product and it would dry nice and even (which it did).

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:03 am »
And here are some decent shots of what the cabinet looks like after applying two coats of the powder blue paint.

It's funny how the color looks different depending on the lighting but it all looks real even in person. Hopefully the sideart will go on nice and smooth - I'm nervous just thinking about it. 

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:39 am »
 :applaud: That's looks great any way you look at it! Javeryh, you've really outdone yourself this time :applaud:.
Is the original Donkey Kong powder blue as well? You definitely inspired me with this build. The Mrs. and I are having twin boys and well I might just build them a mini DK machine for their room. Don't be surprise if you hear from me for some advice, cause I really want it to be as authentic as possible. Keep them pics coming.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2009, 01:27:30 pm »
What kind of formulas do you guys in the States use for paint? I copied a formula like that and took it into my local B&Q and they didn't have a clue what to make of it. It was as though they were reading something in Swahili.   :laugh2:

I'd love to know if anyone here in the UK has ever had any DK blue mixed up and how they did it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:32 pm »
Very nice, the middle shots without shadows reveal the surface finish - latex is the way to go in this case I reckon too.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
Whoah there javeryh.  You are smoking on this rebuild. :blowup:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »
:applaud: That's looks great any way you look at it! Javeryh, you've really outdone yourself this time :applaud:.
Is the original Donkey Kong powder blue as well? You definitely inspired me with this build. The Mrs. and I are having twin boys and well I might just build them a mini DK machine for their room. Don't be surprise if you hear from me for some advice, cause I really want it to be as authentic as possible. Keep them pics coming.

Thanks!  yeah, the original DK was powder blue (or red if it was a converted Radar Scope).  I'd love to see a mini version of this cab - I'd be happy to help out if I can!   :cheers:

What kind of formulas do you guys in the States use for paint? I copied a formula like that and took it into my local B&Q and they didn't have a clue what to make of it. It was as though they were reading something in Swahili.   :laugh2:

I'd love to know if anyone here in the UK has ever had any DK blue mixed up and how they did it.

I think the formulas are store specific.   I got mine at Sherwin-Williams but if I took it to Home Depot they probably couldn't match the color...

Very nice, the middle shots without shadows reveal the surface finish - latex is the way to go in this case I reckon too.

yeah, I'm actually very happy with the finish.  It has a bit of texture but you really don't notice it unless you are looking for it.  The brand of paint makes a HUGE difference, IMO.  It was worth it for the few extra dollars...

Whoah there javeryh.  You are smoking on this rebuild. :blowup:

Haha - thanks!  I've set an unofficial deadline of August 22nd to be completely finished.  My fantasy football draft is that night and everyone is coming over and I'd love to unveil it then.  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »
Damn.  I just splurged BIG TIME on this cab.  My brand new Asahi-Seiko faceplates/coin mechs will be here next week.  $93.21 shipped.  Ouch.  This kind of kills the budget but oh well, I want it to look brand new and this is the only way to do it.  I will be eating cereal for lunch the next 15 work days to make up the cost (I spend about $6 for lunch every day).  Now where is my Raisin Bran??  Kind of funny that I only paid $36 for the cabinet and coin door...

Vebbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 01:35:18 pm
    • Overaged Lucky Drivers
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
Ohhh this is so nice Javeryh.  :notworthy:

Keep up the good work  :cheers:

ps.  There are so many useful/handy/cool posts on this forum. LOVE IT.
Vebbo
I was elected to lead, not to read!

Vebbo turning x-men cab to custom 1942 cab

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2009, 11:49:14 am »
man, i can't wait to see how this turns out.  I am so jealous right now.  Donkey Kong is by far my favorite arcade game, i'd love to have a DK cabinet.  I've been trying to talk my wife into a second cabinet, for light gun games for a while now, but she insists that 1 cabinet in the house is all i can have. i can probably do without the gun cabinet...but  i told her the other day that if i ran across a cheap DK cabinet, that i couldnt make any guarantees that it wouldnt end up here though...i don't think she believed me, but i'll tell you what, if I can find one for a reasonable price, i'll make room for it.

jav...keep those pics coming.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:25 pm »
Ohhh this is so nice Javeryh.  :notworthy:

Keep up the good work  :cheers:

ps.  There are so many useful/handy/cool posts on this forum. LOVE IT.

Thanks a lot!  I'm always surprised that there is actually interest in DKs since so many people seem to have them.  I'm sure I'm not breaking any new ground but I'm having a lot of fun rebuilding this thing.

man, i can't wait to see how this turns out.  I am so jealous right now.  Donkey Kong is by far my favorite arcade game, i'd love to have a DK cabinet.  I've been trying to talk my wife into a second cabinet, for light gun games for a while now, but she insists that 1 cabinet in the house is all i can have. i can probably do without the gun cabinet...but  i told her the other day that if i ran across a cheap DK cabinet, that i couldnt make any guarantees that it wouldnt end up here though...i don't think she believed me, but i'll tell you what, if I can find one for a reasonable price, i'll make room for it.

jav...keep those pics coming.

Hey buddy - you need to just go get the cab and worry about the wife's reaction later!  That's what I did although she knew I had been looking (we don't have room for it anywhere and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do once it is complete).  I couldn't pass up a $36 cabinet so I bought it and it sat in the garage from last September until mid-May when I started really working on it.  The wife still isn't thrilled but I hope she will play a few games when it is finished.  If we had the space she wouldn't care if I had 20 cabs in the house but it is in our living room at the moment (which I think looks great but I probably don't see it quite the way she does ;D).

DK was also my favorite and I still smile when I think I'll actually have a real DK cabinet in my house that I can play whenever I want.  If I could go back in time my 10 year old self would never believe it.  I say go for it.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »
thanks for the words of encouragement.  yeah, if we had the room for it, she wouldn't care either.  at our old house, we had a finshed basement, and i had 3 cabinets. (1 complete, two partials)  but when we moved and bought this house, it just didn't have the room.  the basement has low ceilings and gets some water in it now and then.  plus it is just not laid out well for finishing.  we do have a decent sized family room, which is where i have my mame cabinet now...but it would be hard to find another place in there to fit it.  (some of the kids toys would have to go).    we have a large front porch that we really dont use that is right off of the family room...she says i can close it in and turn it into a gameroom...but considering my carpentry skills, that either wont be cheap (i'll have to hire someone) or it wont be pretty(i'll do it myself).

but i am determined that if i find a cheap DK, i will get it.  a friend of mine will let me keep it in his garage until i can make room for it.

i'm kinda suprised by the large number of DK projects lately too...  perhaps the release of D2k has got people thinking about it again.   either way, it is so hard to read these thread and look at everyone's DK cabs, and not have one myself.  i'm even considering tearing apart my cabinet, rotating the monitor and building a new control panel with just a 4way and a button (perhaps trackball for centipede)..and just turn it into a vertical classics cabinet for now.  i would lose the ability to play alot of games, but 90% of the time i am playing DK, and Centipede.

Your project is looking great...keep up the good work

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:19 pm »
Are there any general settings for Misfit MAME?  I installed in on my cab but the resolution is a mess and I don't see a cfg or ini file or anything.  Any ideas?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:51 am »
OK, I spent about 5 hours yesterday configuring the computer and everything.  Everything works except for D2K - I can't get it to display properly. 

I have 28 games in my gamelist and I think that is a good number.  Most of them are immediately recognizable classics so it should make for a fun cabinet.  I'm running MaLa and I downloaded a skin from johnsarcade.com but I'm not sure if I like it yet.  I may go for something really really simple like the GameLauncher skin.  I don't know. 

I was able to successfully add D2K to my gamelist which makes everything nice and seamless.  Tonight I'm going to reinstall MAME, MaLa and MisfitMAME and see if that fixes the resolution problems I'm having.  This computer already had a version of MAME on it where I really played with the settings (due to previous resolution problems) so it might be better to start fresh.  I'm also ordering an ArcadeVGA card today which from what I understand should make everything display in the original resolutions on my arcade monitor.   :cheers:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:39 am »
well, be aware that any changes you make to your mame.ini file for regular mame, will not be applied in misifit mame.  you will have to reconfigure it as well.

i did find out through experimentation that if you have a mame.ini file in your misfitmame directory, it will read that for options.  you could set up mame the way you want it with resolution and rotation options...then copy those few settings into the new mame.ini for misfitmame.  all you really need in specified are the options you actually want to apply.

for instance, i created a blank mame.ini in the misfitmame folder that contained only the following line:

flipx                   1

when i launched d2k, the image was reversed horizontally.    so all you need to have in the file are the proper settings for resolution and rotation and you should be good.

i hope that helps.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2009, 11:30:31 am »
This is awesome.  I'm just going to copy my mame.ini file into my MisfitMAME folder and see if that takes care of it.  Hopefully it is as simple as that!  As it stands right now, everything is completely illegible in MisfitMAME (menus, settings, etc.) so I can't even play around with what is there.  Once I get MAME/MaLa working the way I want it I'll start configuring Windows to hide everything on boot up and go straight to DK, etc.

My problem is that the computer is still in my cocktail cabinet in the basement that I hooked an LCD up to in order to configure everything and I'll have to move it to a shelf to put in the DK.  It doesn't connect to the internet so I'm constantly loading files onto a memory stick from my laptop in order to play around with it.  Everything takes 3X as long as it should.

Thanks!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2009, 11:40:51 am »
OK, I'm getting behind with updating this thread with pics and junk.  Next up was recreating the base of the cabinet (the first post in this thread is finally revealed!!!).

First off, I have to say that I'm an idiot.  When I measured the base I didn't account for the overlap from the side panels so it is actually an inch taller than I thought.  Initially I made the base out of a 1" x 3" piece of maple but I actually should have been using a 1" x 4" (3/4" x 3-1/2" actual).  It was easy enough and only took about an hour but I did have to spend an extra $16 on the maple and since I was annoyed I didn't take any pictures.  So everything is the same except the size wood you see in the pics is off by an inch to what I actually used.

After years and years of sitting on the ground and being moved around the original base started to splinter and generally looks horrible.  It was easy to duplicate. I started out with an 8' long piece of maple from Home Depot. I chose maple because it was harder than pine (the only other choice in the store).

The dimensions of the base are 22" x 24-7/8" x 2-1/2". I cut up the maple accordingly with my chop saw and put a 45 degree cut on the ends so the corners would join together nicely. I also used my trusty biscuit cutter to cut some slots on the ends for some #10 biscuits. This will create a VERY strong joint when it is glued up. There is more surface area for the glue and the biscuit expands in the slot.

Before gluing everything together I applied 3 coats of the BIN Zinsser primer to hide the wood grain. I will paint it black once the pieces are glued together. I love this stuff.

I laid out everything on my dining room table (with some wax paper underneath in case of glue spillage).

I used two band clamps and 4 regular clamps to hold everything together. The joints are nice and tight and I checked it for squareness and it is pretty good.

I also installed some small rubber feet for the base to sit on.

More later.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2009, 11:44:25 am »
Here is what the base looks like unclamped:

And here is what the rubber feet look like:

They were the smallest I could find at Home Depot that weren't adhesive-backed (which always come off eventually). I didn't want the base to be too high off of the ground but I did want something on the bottom to protect the base from being beat up over time. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
Next, I put some black paint on the base. I used Rustoleum black paint - it is awesome stuff. It dries evenly and after 3 quick coats it looks great.

I'm also happy I took the time to mitre the corners - they look great too.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
Finally, it was time to attach the minty-fresh base to the cabinet.  What a pain! The first thing I had to do was remove the existing base. This proved to be very difficult because the original was attached from the inside using small staples that I couldn't see. I ended up using a crowbar to pry all 4 pieces off and it took quite a bit of strength.

Here is the bottom without the base:

The next part wasn't so hard. I bought some L-brackets and used them to secure the new base in place. I pre-drilled all of the holes for the screws and it went on pretty quick. I was going to use more but after putting the first 4 in place it was rock solid so I left it.

It looks very nice installed. It isn't something everyone will notice but I think it looks a million times better than what was there previously. Plus, I was able to add the rubber feet which will make it easier on the floor of my house.

I think the flash from my camera makes it look like there is a seam at the corner or something - it is solid black all the way around.  That's it for the base.  Whew!  I am getting closer...   :cheers:

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:09 am »
NICE!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:08 am »
OK, don't kill me for this next part...

Since I have decided to put a computer inside of this cabinet which will run MAME I need some admin buttons in order to work the front-end and MAME itself. The goal of this project is to keep the cabinet as authentic as possible and only make deviations from the original design when I feel it is an improvement or out of necessity. Admin buttons ruin the illusion that this is an actual Donkey Kong cabinet so I have to hide them. Fortunately there is a lip underneath the control panel area with plenty of room:

The cabinet is tipped on its side here and you can see the area I'm talking about. Man it drives me nuts the way this thing was originally put together - look at the gap between the speaker panel on the front and the panel underneath! Thankfully no one will ever see this mess.

I decided on three admin buttons - Exit (which will allow the player to exit the current game back to the list of games on the front end), Pause (because I have kids and rarely get 10 consecutive minutes to do anything) and Coin (the coin door will be fully functional but this will make it a bit easier). The Pause and Coin buttons are also going to double as Volume Up and Volume Down when shifted by pressing the Player 2 Start Button on the control panel if I can figure it out.  I think someone around here made an app for that.

Since I don't want these buttons to ever be seen I decided to countersink them into the wood panel so the top of the button is flush with the panel. It was easy enough to do. I used a 1-3/8" forstner bit to countersink the buttons and when I got about 1/4" down I switched to a 1-1/8" forstner bit to finish the job.

It was tough to get the drill in there just right - the plywood was not even close to square so the lip in the front is actually a little deeper than in the back for each button. Here is how the buttons will sit in the holes I drilled:

The last thing I did was take some powder blue paint and paint the exposed wood to match the cabinet exterior. Even though no one will ever see this I wanted to make it look somewhat neat even though it is kind of a mess. If I was building this from scratch I would have pre-drilled all of these holes prior to assembly and I would have rounded over the edges of the recessed holes. Oh well. It came out OK but most importantly it is going to work great.

I should also note that I drilled a hole to the far left for the Exit button (it would be on the bottom of the picture above - it isn't shown) and I drilled two holes to the far right for the Pause and Coin buttons. I don't want anyone to accidentally hit Exit in the middle of a game when they were only reaching for the Pause button!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:45:00 am by javeryh »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2009, 09:49:09 am »
excellent way to add functionality, while keeping the original look of the cabinet.  very nice

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2009, 10:21:29 am »
 :applaud:
   The cabinet looks great! Can't wait to see the final pictures. Hopefully you get DKII working without too much hassle.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:53 am »
For exit you can just press and hold P1 then press P2. That's built into Mame as standard.
For coins you just press and hold P1 then press Button #1 (which is your "Jump" button). That's also standard in Mame.

Pause is the only thing you may need a separate button for. And even then you can program a shifted button if you are using an encoder like an Ipac or Minipac.

Unless of course I'm completely misunderstanding why you need these admin buttons. If so then please forgive me.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2009, 01:46:15 pm »
For exit you can just press and hold P1 then press P2. That's built into Mame as standard.
For coins you just press and hold P1 then press Button #1 (which is your "Jump" button). That's also standard in Mame.

Pause is the only thing you may need a separate button for. And even then you can program a shifted button if you are using an encoder like an Ipac or Minipac.

Unless of course I'm completely misunderstanding why you need these admin buttons. If so then please forgive me.

this is not true.  those button combos are not standard in MAME, they are shifted functions of the IPAC controller.  also, having both start buttons together function as Exit is just a horrible idea...two players hitting the start button at the same time is a pretty common occurance...i think that just about everyone here would agree that is a bad combo.

also, while shifted commands are OK, it is sometimes too much to ask of guests to remember all of the shifted commands.  it is much easier for other people to play the cabinet if there are dedicated buttons for coins, exit and pause.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »
also, while shifted commands are OK, it is sometimes too much to ask of guests to remember all of the shifted commands.  it is much easier for other people to play the cabinet if there are dedicated buttons for coins, exit and pause.

This is exactly my thinking.  I've built several cabs now and even with clear "idiot-proof" labeling and instruction cards I always get tons and tons of questions - "How do I change games?", "What do I do about quarters?", etc.  I just don't like shifted buttons for things that will get a lot of use.  It's fine for accessing the TAB menu in MAME or something else though.  I'm not sure how things will go with the DK+ though since all the admin buttons will be hidden - hopefully one quick explanation and everyone will be good to go.   :cheers:

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »

this is not true.  those button combos are not standard in MAME, they are shifted functions of the IPAC controller.  also, having both start buttons together function as Exit is just a horrible idea...two players hitting the start button at the same time is a pretty common occurance...i think that just about everyone here would agree that is a bad combo.

Is there a way to turn that off?  the 1P & 2P start/exit thing?  I changed my 2P start to the letter J because it exited 3 times whilst playing TMNT.  We both died at the same time, and just started hammering at the start buttons to continue.  Even trying to avoid it, it happend 2 more times.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »
you would have to reprogram your ipac's shifted keystrokes. 

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:47 pm »
Ahhh.... my bad. Sorry for the misinformation. I thought it was in mame.  :banghead:

I have to say though that my two previous projects were both set up like that and I never had any problems with two people exiting because they were spamming play at the same time. I suppose people's mileages will vary of course.

In fact this gives me a problem now. Don't wanna derail thread but if I use a U360 with wiring harness (in other words no encoder) then I cant use shifted exit buttons?

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2009, 04:28:10 pm »
Ahhh.... my bad. Sorry for the misinformation. I thought it was in mame.  :banghead:

I have to say though that my two previous projects were both set up like that and I never had any problems with two people exiting because they were spamming play at the same time. I suppose people's mileages will vary of course.

In fact this gives me a problem now. Don't wanna derail thread but if I use a U360 with wiring harness (in other words no encoder) then I cant use shifted exit buttons?

the exit problem seems to happen the most in beat em ups and things like that when you just keep dying and pressing start to continue...it happened alot on my cabinet.

as for the u360s, if you have the latest firmware, they do support shifted buttons.  each encoder supports 8 buttons, with button 8 being the shift button as well. (so button 8 + button 1 = button 9)

i have two of them in my cabinet and that is how i have mine set up