Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Android Arcade Project  (Read 6040 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Android Arcade Project
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:17:56 pm »
Hi,

I just picked up a knackered 7" tablet with ICS.  The glass/plastic and matrix is damaged but the display is fine .

I'm thinking of making an iCade clone via a keyboard hack.  Will a USB game controller work with ICS?  I'm thinking it will.

I know when I go in to remove the glass the unit will be just a monitor, but I should have some options for an alternative case design instead of the clam shell.

I haven't seen a project like this on the net except below, and it runs Mame4Droid, Dragon's Lair and Space Ace fast and capable enough for the Playstation emulators etc.  No bluetooth.  ;D

I'm thinking small, flat CP with a raised display.

Nothing like this though.  But it has the same size of display.

Looks cool just the same.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

vcoleiro1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
Re: Android Arcade Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:54:48 am »
Looks like a good project to go for.  Id presume you can use a wired controller, I'd be surprised if you couldn't.  That said, if worse comes to worst, then you can always buy a Bluetooth dongle.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:57 am »
starting with honeycomb, plug and play controller support was added for most of the casual controllers out there including strict HID support, xbox 360, ps3 and wii (via bluetooth i believe) . Find yourself a micro usb to otg cable and give it a shot. Some have had mixed results using console controllers. Most have had decent results using HID controllers and keyboards. Worst case scenario is you get yourself a minimus and simply use a standard keyboard layout with it.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:53 am »
I found some MDF from another lost project and decided to make use of some parts I have laying around.

It should be fun quick and easy to finish. 

Finishing any project will be a challenge!  :laugh2:

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »
I played around with the idea of using android for my bartop but threw out the idea after I couldn't figure out a decent way to navigate the OS.  I'm sure that someone who knows more about what they are doing could make a script of some sort to load everything at startup and get rid of the bottom bar etc but it was beyond me.  I know that some of the custom roms out there are better than others about what kind of controller support they have but a controller hack on a generic usb controller would probably work better than a xbox360 controller or at least it would be cheaper.  mame4all was adequate when I was testing it but you have to really work to get all the onscreen control display to go away.  I'm not sure why it doesn't have a gamepad mode like the iOS version or maybe I was just missing something.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
Well I got rid of the glass (it was a real stinky mess and I sliced my fingers really good)  :woot  and the sensor (it was toast) but the screen looks the business.

Just need to put it back in the plastics and keep it safe.  Keyboard works great with it.  I'll dig out my PC joy pads and see which one has the best solder points.

The Psu is 5V 2A so I should be able to sneak off a line to power an USB hub, unless I can use the speaker wire on the tablet to power a larger speaker.

The worse part is over, now to design the contraption and fit it all in.

I would like to make a big brother to:

But I could always wait for a 4.3 tablet to show up on flea bay....

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:23 am »
I've been playing with the tablet again (more playing than woodworking) and using the keyboard will not be enough, so I attached a mouse and found it to be "more useful" so I am deciding on either a trackpad or a mini trackball.  Now I know it would be useful to have such a device for missile command and tempest, and I am looking at a proper touchpad and a roll out keyboard under the control panel.  Thinking 11 inches wide for the cabinet should accommodate the cables going in the side of the tablet and give the option of a rotated display.

The added size will also allow a more comfortable play area.  The original glass must have had some sort of magnification as the screen looks a bit smaller.  I got a one of those book magnifiers at the pound shop and it looks like I can get a better display.  Reminds me of the Mach3 cockpit magnifier.  I got a USB speaker system and it sounds much better than the internal speaker, and at the pound store I found a USB book light which should work with the marquee area.  So it looks like I will need a decent 3A USB hub.  Keyword here is decent.   

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
Keyword here is decent.   

Keyword should be compliant. Linux in general is a bit more picky when it comes to compliant USB devices and we all know how Chinese manufacturers can make some pretty cruddy stuff.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:28 am »
Working on the design of the project, trying to use the spare parts I have and buttons.  I have decided to make it simple as I play classics games so I will have a joystick and four buttons to make it more Playstation compatible.  I am looking at adding a track pad for games like Angry birds but I am also looking at an inverted mouse or trackpad/trackman (remember those?) or at least having it slide out the side of the Control panel.  It would suck hitting that during play.

I also toyed with the idea of having it rotatable.

I tried it out with joypads and it works great with the emulators.

So there is nothing left to do but get woodworking!

Pictures to follow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:45 am »
^^ some laptop trackpads are usb. should be able to use one of those.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:08 am »
Monkey Island Bartop is on the back burner?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:10 am »
Monkey Island Bartop is on the back burner?
Its sitting here with the monitor and PC inside. 

The CP, bezel and marquee to is needing to be attached, then the ventilation panel on the back, bondo, finish painting sanding, painting, sanding, painting.   You get the idea.

I have 5 parts needing to be re cut and installed then the artwork, but I need a nice day to do the work and it has been raining/snowing and very cold. 

I'm also recovering from a really nasty case of pneumonia and MDF dust doesn't really help out the old lungs.

When it warms up  :lol I will complete it, but this little android project will be made of thin MDF which I can cut with a hobby knife and in the comfort of a warm house.  ;D