Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong bartop (FINISHED! Final pics uploaded)  (Read 53658 times)

retrofuture

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2022, 12:41:44 pm
    • RetroFuture
Re: Donkey Kong bartop (Artwork has arrived!)
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »
This looks bloody fantastic mate  :applaud:

I know what you mean about cruddy cameras  ;) all my shots look like they were taken inside a smoke filled room.
The future isn't what it used to be.

Xevious BartopRetroFuture

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
Last couple of build pics here guys.....

Bezel cut out and ready for fitting. CP built up and also ready to be attached.

Sideart being very carefully applied. Went on with no drama. (I was worried about this bit to be honest)  :P

And I can now tell you that this project is now FINISHED!  Well... 99.9% finished. I've just spent the last day or so fettling those little awkward jobs that sometimes get left. Fitting a door stay to the back door, securing the ball top so it doesn't come off while playing, tightening up the plexi areas so that no light seeps through the gaps. Getting the software side of things complete with MaLa shelled and booting right into DK. All that kind of thing. (Still can't seem to hide the MB splash screen though  :dunno)

The only job I have left to do is fit a bezel around the monitor to fit the smaller size of  the game screen. I have a friend coming over tomorrow for the official unveiling (lol!) and he's bringing a decent camera with him for some completed pics. Will post tomorrow.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 04:34:33 pm »
looking great.  i cant wait to see some quality pics.  those motherboard splash screens are difficult to get rid of...not all boards support custom images.  I generally just leave mine alone and just live with it.  there is a trick where you install a PCI video card and set it in the bios as the first card, this will keep your monitor from activating until windows loads though, which means just a long time with a black screen.

i have created a DK themed boot skin that is designed for vertical monitors, as well as a DK themed MALA layout, that i used on my full size DK cab...if you are interested.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
Re: Donkey Kong bartop (FINISHED! Final pics uploaded)
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 10:03:39 am »
Thanks for that Severdhed! I might take a look at the boot image actually as I'm just using a black screen. Couldn't find anything suitable searching Google images. But the MaLa menu took me a while to get right so I'm gonna stick with that.

Final pics as promised. Again some are better quality than others but at least my mates camera is better than the one I have. Any comments or criticisms are welcome. I'm really pleased with how this turned out. It's 100% finished now with just the odd software tweak to make.

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 10:57:12 am »
Awesome!  :cheers:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 11:04:35 am »
Simply put. . . FANTASTICAL!!

It all turned out great, the art was spot on, and it "feels" right.  You should be very proud of the work you put into this. 

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 11:09:26 am »
Its turned out great! Awesome job  :applaud:

I bet you must be really pleased  :)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2009, 11:13:11 am »
that looks great...very awesome.

here are the bootskins that i created for DK.  there are two of them inside the zip file, one is rotated clockwise, the other is counter-clockwise, depending on which way you rotated your monitor.

www.severdhed.com/images/arcade/dk/DKBootskins.zip

that is a great little cabinet you got there....you should be very proud

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 12:02:05 pm »
Sublime.  :applaud:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »
Wow! Great Work!
that looks fantastic! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

What buttons did you end up using (the blue ones)?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2009, 12:42:36 pm »
Wow - this thing came out GREAT!  Very nice job!!   :cheers:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:51 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  :notworthy:

To reply to a couple of things... I downloaded the bootskins Severd, but how can I look at the images? I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to art and files etc. I tried opening them in MS Paint (lol). I will need to edit/resize them anyway I would think, as I need to scale them down to fit my smaller "screen".

Bender... these are buttons I bought off eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=380150380748&view=all&tid=0

They aren't arcade quality of course, but are adequate for admin buttons. They mount in a 12mm hole with 14mm above the panel, so they were a perfect fit. I did consider the buttons suggested earlier but I feel they may have been too close together with the Jump button. I think the spacing came out just right in the end.

The second action button was gonna be red (I bought 2x orange and 2x red) but the buttons were a much deeper red than the colour of the CP. In the end I felt 2x orange just looked better. Was a good idea though and worth a try.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »
oh, sorry, i just assumed you were using the stardock bootskin program to do this. you shouldn't need to resize anything because no matter what screen size you are using, the windows bootscreen should always be 640x480 i think.

if you want to look at them, just rename the file from .bootskin to .zip, then extract it

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 02:08:05 pm »
awesome job

it really came together.

I wish i had one. :cheers:

jmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 08:35:56 pm »
Wow this looks great! Two questions:

the on switch in the back, where did you get it, is it from the PC?

what front end are you using?

Really awesome work   :cheers:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:59 am »
Two questions:

the on switch in the back, where did you get it, is it from the PC?

Not sure which switch/button you mean. Basically there is a standard 240V Euro input socket with a built in on/off switch that I got from Maplins (our version of your Radioshack I would think). http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1497  (Although this one doesn't have the built in on/off rocker switch. That one isn't listed on their site for some reason)

The red button is just a standard leaf switch button I had lying around. It's perfectly placed so that it actuates the power button on the PC when it's pressed. No wiring up of any external switch was needed for that.

what front end are you using?

Just standard MaLa. Took me a while to get the menu just how I wanted it. Those aren't screenshots of the games in the menu listings either. They are small videos. I downloaded the video pack from Emumovies.com.

jmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2009, 07:13:42 am »
 :cheers:
       Great I'll definitely look into it. And thanks for the links.

Any plans for another project?

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 09:15:48 am »
:cheers:
       Great I'll definitely look into it. And thanks for the links.

Any plans for another project?

Not right now. Although this one didn't take that long it still cost quite a bit. I didn't keep a rolling tally of the costs but from the top of my head (roughly):

Monitor £55
Artwork £70
Wood £30
Mini ATX PC £140  (I could have saved here by using bits I already had... but what the hell   ;))
Arcade parts £65
USB Speakers £15
Powered USB Hub £15
Paint (black, blue, primer) £33
Plexi pieces cut to size £35
T-Molding £10
Fluorescent light £10

That's £478 total there... then there's all the other little bits like screws, brackets, electrical connectors, power socket and extension, etc.etc. If you added those bits up it would take it over £500. So it's not cheap really but the result is worth it to have something kinda unique. Most people will look upon their finished projects like that. Time to let funds replenish.  :P

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »
Well after a few days of play-testing I've had to make one or two design modifications. One of my friends said that the bezel screen seemed to reflect a lot. I can't say it's been a problem for me at all, but I decided to see what I could do. I found a local company that would cut anti-reflective glass to size... and I couldn't believe how cheap the prices were for glass!

The anti-reflective stuff was no good for my project though. It's great if you have a piece of art right up against the glass (like a bezel) but anything a few centimeters or inches away then becomes just a dull blur. But I did end up getting two pieces of glass cut perfectly to size (one grey tinted the other clear) so I swapped out the lexan for glass to get a more sturdy finish. The grey piece of lexan I had fitted had a scratch in it that I always noticed and it annoyed me like hell. Though nobody else seemed to notice it.  :P

The main modification though came with the CP. It was hinged at the front and secured with two double roller catches. Generally the games played with no problem... but on anything that received a more vigorous or enthusiastic joystick action then the CP would flip forward when I used "down". (Hello to you Ms.Pacman with speedup hack!) I had an idea that this might happen with my design... so I had to do something.

The top panel was secured to the front panel with angle brackets. These were removed and instead I screwed in two small latch type slots, one on each inside wall of the cab. Then I just screwed two tabs bent at 90 degrees to the underside of the CP to fit right into these slots. I made sure they were a nice tight fit first and gave no movement of the CP when playing. The front speaker panel is still hinged as before but the top panel rests on this to hold it in place. Now any vigorous movements no longer produce embarrassing CP flying openness!  :D

EDIT:  By the way Severd, I used the bootskin you linked. Thanks a lot. :) I had to modify it though as the self skinning program I use insists on the image being 640 x 480 - 16 colour only. I had to tweak the colours to get it to be accepted, but it's better than a black screen for sure.  :cheers:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »
cool, glad you liked it.  i didnt really do anything other than take the sideart and save it in the proper format for bootskin to work.   sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

as for your mala layout, how are the videos working for you?  i had video snaps on mine for a while, but it seems to make everything respond too slowly.  i thought maybe it was because my PC wasnt super fast (athlon xp 2500, 1gb ram) but it seems to be equally slow on my main PC (athlon 64 x2 5000, 4gb ram)

i had it loading regular snaps instantly, then after a few seconds if you didn't move on to the next game, it would start playing the video...but once the video started playing it seemed to take a little while to move on to the next game...have you noticed this?

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
I can't believe i missed this one. Hard to describe how great that turned out. I want one!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2009, 03:08:48 pm »
cool, glad you liked it.  i didnt really do anything other than take the sideart and save it in the proper format for bootskin to work.   sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

as for your mala layout, how are the videos working for you?  i had video snaps on mine for a while, but it seems to make everything respond too slowly.  i thought maybe it was because my PC wasnt super fast (athlon xp 2500, 1gb ram) but it seems to be equally slow on my main PC (athlon 64 x2 5000, 4gb ram)

i had it loading regular snaps instantly, then after a few seconds if you didn't move on to the next game, it would start playing the video...but once the video started playing it seemed to take a little while to move on to the next game...have you noticed this?

I had the exact same problem. It's your video codec you have installed, I'm sure of it. I can't even remember what they are called (I'm a n00b basically at this) but the first codec I had was crap.... took each video about 5 seconds to start playing. Once I changed codecs they come up almost instantly, as fast as the snaps even. I will look into it for the names, but I reckon someone might post the answer before i come back.

EDIT: DivX was the sh!t codec iirc. I bet that's what you're using. And I'm sure I swapped to XVid. Try that one.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »
i'll have to check...i thought i had the xvid codec installed, but it is worth a try, even if i do have xvid, it is a pretty old version...i'll look into that

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »
great little machine you got there leedsfan. well done! :cheers:

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:29 pm »
Great looking little machine.

Well done :applaud: :applaud:

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 11:29:43 pm »
Odd....I'm not getting any pictures....

Weird....as soon as I typed that, they all loaded.

Man, I've been wanting to make a bartop, and now you're killing me. I want one so bad!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:32:35 pm by Ginsu Victim »

Vebbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 01:35:18 pm
    • Overaged Lucky Drivers
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »
Very sexy little thing :) love it. Think i have to try to build one myself next year  :angel:
Vebbo
I was elected to lead, not to read!

Vebbo turning x-men cab to custom 1942 cab

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 04:01:50 pm »
Really nice job. Great work!  :cheers:
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2015, 11:40:02 pm
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 04:32:39 pm »
That's awesome! You need to sell plans for these, incld. pt. nos, image files, templates, etc.!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »
Well kind of a shameless necro bump for this thread... but I thought I'd share my latest alteration to this project.

Since I completed my Neo-Geo mame-in-a-box I decided that I don't need this bartop to play as many games as it does. So I bought a repro Nintendo 4-way from Mike's Arcade to give this little machine the real 4-way feel of a proper DK cabinet. I had to redo the entire CP with new artwork as it meant dropping the second action button too, as I was going with the traditional single "Jump" button.

I also ripped out the Intel Atom Mini ITX board I had in there some while back, and put in a board with an XP2400+ with Gefore 400 graphics card. Reason for this was because the games were not running at 100% in Mame with the Intel Atom. DK for example was at 96%. Not good enough.  :angry:

It's not a fault of the motherboard either. It simply must have something to do with the monitor I'm using in this bartop because when I test Mame on my other monitors it runs at 100% no problems. It's just a problem with this particular monitor. But the new beefier processor and card sorted out those probs anyway.

With this new board in there I needed a fan on the back door to help dissipate heat. The Mini ITX produces hardly any heat at all and will be used in my Defender/Stargate bartop I'm working on right now. It's already been tested and works perfectly fine. So here are some updated pics....

This stick is gonna take me a bit of getting used to . It plays fine and the real 4-way gate is nicer than the round restrictor I was using in the U360. But it does have a larger throw than I would have liked. Then again I wanted authenticity, and that's what I've got. So I better get practicing!

With the new CP I also included the dust washer under the panel together with the clear dust washer on top of the panel which came with new DK cabinets. Though they all tended to be removed or junked over time. I'm not happy with the centre hole on this one as it's not very clean. I also went to the trouble of putting in the CP bolts... or in my case round head rivets for that extra touch of authenticity.

Only thing I have to do now is set the software to be a DK dedicated. I might include DK Jr. and DK3 as well. But other games probably won't play too well with this stick, and as I say I can play them all on my other project anyway.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2011, 04:07:48 am »
What resolution did you use when the game couldn't run @ 100%? Sometimes I notice that 640x480 works better (less processing needed) than the native resolution of the monitor.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »
What resolution did you use when the game couldn't run @ 100%? Sometimes I notice that 640x480 works better (less processing needed) than the native resolution of the monitor.

The monitor in the DK has a native resolution of 1024x768. I just had the res set on Auto and Windows was set at that as well. So does this mean that Mame would just use whatever the desktop was at?

But the Asus monitor I'm usingin the Defender bartop has a native res of 1440x900. So I dunno.  :dunno

I did change to D3D when I swapped it into the Defender cab, so it could have been running on DDraw that caused it. Whatever it's all sorted now.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:35 pm »
Do you have the plans for this cab? Or did you wing it?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2011, 05:08:19 pm »
Do you have the plans for this cab? Or did you wing it?

I took the plans from Jakobud and just chopped all the dims by 50%. I did put my own mods in for the way the CP attaches and lifts off and also the back door was just a simple affair to make up. I just astarted with the dimensions and then made those parts work within them.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »
Would you be willing to share the art files? That CP is just fantastic!    :cheers:
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
Would you be willing to share the art files? That CP is just fantastic!    :cheers:

The control panel is just the standard DK panel which is found easily with a Google search.
http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/details.php?image_id=972&mode=search

I did however tweak the positioning of some bits very slightly with it. It's not 100% authentic in that sense but you'd probably have to look at a real one side by side to notice stuffs. I had to move the P1 and P2 start buttons slightly to the right because P1 button was in the way of the top right mounting of the joystick. And the Jump button was mover slightly so that the outer edge of the button did not sit over the "arch" of Pauline. Just wanted to make it look as neat as possible.

johncl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2012, 10:08:00 am
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:57 am »
Fantastic bartop! In fact I wonder if I perhaps met you at R3Play Blackpool in 2010 and even got to play a game of Donkey Kong on this machine!

I have been itching to start my own arcade project and really wanted to make a full scale replica (but Mame based), but your project has convinced me to start a bartop instead.

I went ahead and ordered an Ipac-2 (overkill for this project I know), a joystick and some buttons, and I will be using an older mini-itx system I have here if it has enough oomph for mame (perhaps running an older version). In fact I hope to use an incoming Raspberry Pi if there is a good enough mame binary for it in the near future. But until then a WinXP will be used to get up and running quicker.

To get me started I just want to make a cardboard box mockup to test out the measurements. I think perhaps I want it to be a tad bigger than yours, I see you used 50% measurements of the original, and I wonder if I would try out a 60% scale as I'd like to use standard sized arcade buttons for the P1/P2, but will also add another button like you to enjoy a wider selection of games. My other option would be to to remake the instructions card as part of the sticker above the CP although that would make it less authentic ofc. Although that area also doubles as a restingplace for the left hand controlling the joystick and I really dont want it to have to rest on the edge.

Just a few questions if I may ask you. How wide is your control panel? And how wide/tall is the side art? I am wondering if I could perhaps get away with printing my own on a Canon injket, both CP and side art. It would surely save me a bundle on artwork. Assuming your sides are 50% width of the original they should be around 30cm wide on the top and I see an A4 sheet is 21 cm wide so that might be a bit smaller relatively to the original, but not by much I think.

Will start a build thread here once I get going. :)