Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Circular saws  (Read 2145 times)

Benevolance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
Circular saws
« on: July 11, 2009, 03:40:38 pm »
Building an arcade with just a router worked fine for cutting MDF. But for my next projects, I want to work with real wood. Consquently, I want to upgrade my power tools.

I live in a townhouse, and space is a big consideration. I'm not sure I have enough room to actually store a table saw. Instead, I'm looking at buying a circular saw, in particular the Makita 7-1/4" circular saw. My understanding is that a circular saw can handle most of the same jobs as a table saw?

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a circular saw? The projects will basically involve cutting 2x4" boards, or cutting 3/4" sheets of wood. 

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: Circular saws
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:48 pm »
Definitely, with some good clamps, a piece of angle iron (from a bedframe is what i use) and some decent WorkBenches (the portable fold down black and decker kind), you can do just about anything with a skil saw you can with a table saw (there's a few thing that'd be tough, like cutting slots to make  piece of word bend around a curve, but hey!)

That'd be a nice saw too.

Haterot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2012, 09:27:41 am
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:40 pm »
definitely need a straight edge or get yourself a circular saw rip fence.
Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets

thecheat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2009, 11:58:55 am
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »
Just make the saw guide that is stickied in this forum. I made one in two minutes and it has helped A TON! Since they are so cheap and easy, you can even make them for different angles. Line the board's edge up to where you want to cut, push the saw along the guide board and you're done.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:26:29 pm »
Wow. That saw guide is really awesome. I cannot believe I've missed it all this time.