Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame Frontends Allowing Rotating 'on the fly'  (Read 1813 times)

adder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
Mame Frontends Allowing Rotating 'on the fly'
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:40 am »
hi all,
could anyone list some mame frontends which allow rotating the screen between horizontal/vertical on the fly (ie. can rotate the screen via a keypress/button, instead of having to exit the frontend and change config settings etc).

Tafoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:45:31 pm
  • Emulation Devotee
    • MAMELOAD TNG (Front-End)
Re: Mame Frontends Allowing Rotating 'on the fly'
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
I made mine specifically with that ability for use in cabinets.
Here is a demonstration gif:

Feel free to give it a try.  It isn't too fancy but it has worked well for a few people, anyway.  If you have questions or issues regarding it, feel free to ask.
http://mameload.mameworld.info

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:42:35 am »
I'm using Mala with DaOldMan's plugins to physically rotate the screen and switch the joysticks between 4/8 way.
It automatically rotates to the correct position based on what game is launched (no need to press a button to rotate)
Mala allows you to have different layouts based on which position the screen is in and displays them accordingly.

You mention config settings.  Are you talking about rotating the windows desktop?
If you're not talking about physically rotating and are only concerned with MAME,
why not just set the game's orientation using the options in MAME?

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:24:52 am »
thanks Tafoid that looks like it might be a very nice solution
Badmouth: yep im talking about i physically rotate my crt tv when playing vertical games. im not interested in rotating the windows desktop (im using xp), just wanted to be able to rotate the frontend quickly by a keypress when i physically rotate my tv.
cheers guys

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:35:47 am »
Tafoid is there a way with your frontend to allow to display the list of games only by what roms are in the roms folder, example. if i only had say:   gberet.zip  and   rastan.zip  in my roms folder,  could your frontend only list those when i run your frontend, or will it always display every game in mame?  reason is ive trimmed my roms down by a large amount (eg. no fruit machine, pinball, gambling, non-workers, etc), because i find there is way too much junk if you display 'everything'.

Tafoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:45:31 pm
  • Emulation Devotee
    • MAMELOAD TNG (Front-End)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:39 am »
Tafoid is there a way with your frontend to allow to display the list of games only by what roms are in the roms folder, example. if i only had say:   gberet.zip  and   rastan.zip  in my roms folder,  could your frontend only list those when i run your frontend, or will it always display every game in mame?  reason is ive trimmed my roms down by a large amount (eg. no fruit machine, pinball, gambling, non-workers, etc), because i find there is way too much junk if you display 'everything'.

TAB will change between lists: Complete, Available, Missing, any .custom .inis, favorites.  It should save your last display when it is run again.  Edit the favorite.ml file to change executable name if needed (defaults to mame.exe), hide bios/fruit/pinball settings among others.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:43:01 am »

IMO the only truly good way to setup a frontend is to hand-craft the list of games. There are way too many turds out there if a human doesn't manually create a list of the games they actually want to play.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »
GameEx can rotate the screen using a keypress.

You may also want to check out my PlugInRotate which will rotate the screen based on the orientation of the game. It also supports LPT and LED hardware rotation systems.