Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PLZ help me pick a vid card...criteria inside!  (Read 2625 times)

aramis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
PLZ help me pick a vid card...criteria inside!
« on: February 28, 2002, 04:54:27 pm »
Hey all,

I need a video card...please help me pick one!

- It must NOT be an ATI... looks like DAPHNE may not be supporting the overlay issues w/ the ATI drivers in the future. And 3 of my fav DAPHNE games require overlay and hw accel.

- It MUST be able to do great (like an ATI) s-vid out. That is, it must be FILL THE SCREEN, 800x600 S-video w/o the need for some other software like tvtools, etc...

- It MUST be as cheap as possible, but prefer locally available and not mail order.

I think there are some GF cards that fit the bill, but I remember reading that some have crap tv-out chips, and some have great ones. I tried a GF2 Ti (think it was a PNY) and the tv-out did not fill the entire screen...

Please help!

Thanks!   ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf_1

Re: PLZ help me pick a vid card...criteria inside!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2002, 05:53:06 am »
This is a tough one.... but

go for a geforce (speed to your liking) with tv-out.  Now for the trouble.  Every brand uses a different TV - out chip.  Some suck the big one and others do as good at ATI (as good, but different)

Anyway, what you probably want to do is either go for a ViVo system since they usually have a great TVout with it.  Or buy it from a company that has a good return policy.  

btw, I hear stay away from elsa.

Anyone on the board have success with a specific brand?  or how about chip?  Would be great in a faq!

now a question for you.  How did you get Daphene running?  I have DL and SA on DvDrom and couldn't get the scripts to work.  Did you download them or did you get them yourself?  Also what games do you have running?  I haven't looked at the daphne message boards in ages!  (like do they have the shooting game mache4 or maybe the one based after the clint eastwood movie (fireflight, firefox, firedfromgovernment)

aramis

• Offline Offline
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2002, 07:55:51 am »
I was able to find some more info last night at tomshardware.com. The article was written in dec of 2001, but it had a table of which geforce cards had full-screen tv-out ability.

It boiled down to the fact that only the cards with VI/VO (they use a combo Philips chip) did s-vid out like the ATI's do. All the others (VO only, like Chrontel, Conexant) had borders and/or uncentered images.

The only cards I have found so far that have VIVO are an ASUS, an MSI, and a Gainward.

As far as daphne goes, I compile the latest daphne source every so often. But, the dvd2daph utility should work to convert the vobs for you. The only issue is that if you have an ATI card, they don't like non-standard resolutions. So, in that case, you should use dvd2avi and tmpgenc to re-encode each .vob to an .m2v and .ogg (like dvd2daph does), but change the resolution to 640x480. There are only about 100 files to re-encode.  ;D Now you know why I want a Geforce!

Dvd2daph created the .m2v and .ogg files just fine from my dvd-rom. Make sure you have the DVD-ROM, and not just the plain DVD.

I hear the MACH3 is being worked on, but isn't done yet. Check your private messages...

aramis

• Offline Offline
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2002, 08:04:26 am »
hmmm...it said "Lilwolf_1 could not be messaged"...

nothing too secret anyway, just wanted to tell you to go check out irc.infatech.net, #lasergamempegs...

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2002, 08:13:07 am »
Sorry, I wasn't able to post from home under my real name.  (and I miss my avatar :)

email me or private message (I haven't received one and would like to test it anyway :)