Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Mame - 95% done. Renamed Lunarcade  (Read 31020 times)

mwong168

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2019, 11:38:54 am
Re: Lokesen Clone - Started Laminating
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 11:26:37 am »

so much for taking the easy way out for restore my 70's pinball cabinet  :laugh2:  I guess I better start sanding.

I came across this the other day on a site called twistedquarter.com

BLACK LEATHER STYLE VINYL COVERING

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=502&zenid=91ef739a703c1f37a28e16463c51c637

Anyone ever use this before?  I would still be better off and cheaper sanding, woodfiller, sanding some more and then paint but just curious.

Showcase Project [Work in Progress]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=93701.0
Bartop Project [100% Complete]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98410.0
Custom Wireless 360/PC HAPP Fight Sticks [100% Complete]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=100809.0
Visual Pinball Cabinet [Work in Progress]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=102628.0

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 11:33:46 am »
I think you'd still have to fill and sand before applying that stuff.  It is really thin and any imperfections will show through to the top.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:42 am »
Why don't you just laminate it?
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
I think you'd still have to fill and sand before applying that stuff.  It is really thin and any imperfections will show through to the top.
+1
Vinyl may be cheaper, but it does take a bit more effort. If you're going this route, make sure your surface is as smooth as possible before applying it. Also, Vinyl isn't going to be as tough as Laminate.

@ Silas
Good progress on your cabinet so far. I really like the Lokesen cabinet shape and I think you made a good choice.
What size monitor did you put in it? 19"? Sticking to a 4:3 aspect ratio?  It's too bad it's hard/expensive to find larger 4:3 monitors out there...

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »
@ opt2not, It's 19 inch, but its a 5:4 ratio SXGA (1280×1024) resolution screen not 4:3.

SXGA is a good choice because it's a squarer resolution giving a taller screen for vertical games than much 'larger' wide screen monitors and still gives a reasonable width for horizontal games. The viewable area of my monitor is 30.5cm x 38cm. If you compare that to a 24 inch 16:9 monitor they only have a viewable area vertically of 29.9cm.

SXGA monitors are 'cheap as chips' these days because everyone wants HD and 1280×1024 just doesn't cut it anymore.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »
I awoke this morning with full intention of doing a full day of gardening, leaving the arcade machine for tomorrow. I started on the lawn but I guess I wasn't paying attention. My mind wandered and well... Heck...  :dunno

So after accepting my mind was elsewhere I succumbed to the calling and got started laminating again. I made pretty good progress. Pics to follow tomorrow, I ran out of light today so the pics I took didn't come out.

One of my cats hates the sound of the router. Stupidly I left the garage door open whilst I was working, covered my car in dust and scared the cat into the garage from where I couldn't retrieve her for nearly 4 hours.  :angry:

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

ammitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2017, 07:22:09 am
Re: Lokesen Clone - Gardening, cats and arcade machines
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »
Look's like a nice old car on the picture.
Building my first bartop CAB

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »
Look's like a nice old car on the picture.

My 76 year old Austin 10/4 saloon De Luxe.

The same make, model and year of manufacture as my Father's first car when he was 20 (in 1958). He bought his for £25. When new it cost £172 and 10 shillings.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

tanhauser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 03:45:05 am
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 01:37:23 pm »
Hi, little help please,
which are the dimensions of your wooden control panel, 60 cm wide * ? length

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Re: Lokesen Clone - Stainless Control panel ready for fitting
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 04:00:42 pm »
The CP is finished ready for fitting. The brushed stainless finish is gorgeous. Assuming it looks this amazing with the buttons and trackball fitted I will leave it on show. Originally I was going to cover it with a CPO. The photo doesn't do it justice, it looks AWESOME  :applaud:

Hi, little help please,
which are the dimensions of your wooden control panel, 60 cm wide * ? length

The dimension you are missing is 270mm. Attached is a pic of the dimensions and angles I used for my CP.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: Lokesen Clone - Brushed Stainless Steel CP ready for fitting.
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 04:12:21 pm »
My stainless divining rod started twitching and brought me here  :laugh:

Very nice  :afro:

kyoke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2013, 11:50:44 am
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »
Hey Silas, this is an awesome looking project with tons of attention to detail! And the more I see people using laminate the more I wish I had done the same on my cab. After all the priming, sanding, painting, lather, rinse, repeat I've been doing on my bartop I have vowed to use only laminate in the future. Hey, did you do the stainless steel fabrication/bending/cutting yourself? It looks way pro.
Work in Progress: R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-CADE"

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2010, 06:08:13 am »
Hi kyoke,
Thanks for the compliment. I try as hard as I can to get the little details correct so if I screw up (I haven't yet) overall the cab should still be something I am proud of. My end result that I am shooting for is to own a cabinet that I built, but looks like I bought it.

It looks way pro.

That's because it is  ;)

My father knocked it out at the engineering company he used to own before he retired. He still goes back in as a consultant regularly, so he punched and formed it for me.  I have uploaded the DXF file to the file repository, so anyone who wants to replicate it can take it to a fabrication shop and have it manufactured.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2010, 10:31:55 am »
Hey Silas, this is coming together real nice. Can I ask where you got your laminate from?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2010, 11:16:03 am »
Hey Silas, this is coming together real nice. Can I ask where you got your laminate from?

The very helpful Blackheath Products

Blackheath Products Ltd
Units 2-4 Fairfield Park
Halesowen
West Midlands
B62 9JL
UK

They only deal with trade (which I am not). They require proof that you are a business in order to open a cash account. I stopped at the motorway service station en-route and had some business cards printed for a fiver  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:21:33 am by Silas (son of Silas) »

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:08 am »
I know the thread hasn't moved for a while, but I haven't actually stopped working on this. I figured me fettling a couple of mm off a piece of MDF, or painting the cab interior wouldn't be of much interest so I didn't bother to post. I offered up the CP for a trial fitting and thought I'd post a pic.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that in the earlier photo the stainless didn't have a protective film, but now it has. That's because it's a different panel. Turns out I had given the wrong dimensions to my father by about 3mm on the height, so it just wouldn't sit right.

In the end I decided to scrap it and had a new one made up. First mistake I have made thus far. Just a shame it had to be such a bloody expensive one.  :cry:

My Minipac arrived from Ultimarc the other day, as did the remaining buttons. Just need to finish the black paint interior, laminate the sides, wire it up and start thinking about a marquee, side art and a CPO (yes I am covering up the stainless.)

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Project Mame Clone - Laminating / Painting completed
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »
I have had a few days to make progress on my cab. In a few weeks it will be a year since I started building this thing.

I have completed painting the lower inner area of the cab and the screen and bezel supports, as well as finishing the yellow and black. I need to remake the top panel as it was slightly out of square and drove me nuts every time I looked at the 1mm gap on the back edge. I know no one would EVER spot it, but I would know it's there.

Next steps are to laminate the backs of the doors, laminate the shelf the mobo and PC innards will be mounted on, mount the (already wired) control panel and crack on with the final assembly.

I have been exchanging emails with Gamecreature from this forum to sort out getting some artwork done. His CPO and marquee were really nice, so fingers crossed.

Here's my progress:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:40:15 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Re: Project Mame - Lunarcade VERY yellow laminate
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 11:37:00 am »
I just fitted the control panel and monitor. The Stainless looks really cool against the black, yellow, orange and red so I have decided to leave it on show rather than cover it.

I would however like to have 'Player 1' and 'Player 2' written on the CP. I was thinking vinyl letters, although I don't know how hard wearing that would be. (but does that even matter because the would be cheap to replace?)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I also decided to go with the name Lunarcade. My surname in Moone, so Lunar and Arcade kind of makes sense.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 11:50:47 am »
I would however like to have 'Player 1' and 'Player 2' written on the CP. I was thinking vinyl letters, although I don't know how hard wearing that would be. (but does that even matter because the would be cheap to replace?)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you consider etching it (with acid)? I don't know ANYTHING about the process, but it might be worth looking into.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »
Man this is looking Great!!! :cheers: :cheers:
I say keep the stainless clean and get the buttons with the player symbols on them

badgerjohn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2016, 09:42:33 am
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2010, 05:17:24 am »
Silas this is looking sweet, a year well spent!!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2010, 09:02:39 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. I started to wonder if I was writing a soliloquy here  :laugh:

I'll see if I can grab some time this weekend and fit the bezel and glass back in and take some photo's with the CP and glass. The S/S CPO looks so sweet. I am really pleased with it.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2010, 01:03:02 pm »
Had one of those weekends where nothing seemed to go right for me. The shelf the sub sits on that has sat quietly for months in the bottom of the cab, suddenly doesn't fit. Last week it dropped in and out like teenager at dinner time, but something has obviously changed somewhere. So all painting has gone to pot, because I have scuffed the cab and had to take a skim off the shelf.

Then to make matters worse, my arthritis is giving me absolute hell at the moment in my hands and wrists and I dropped the freshly laminated / painted top shelf that the mobo sits on and 'doofed' the corner in.  :banghead:

I have decided not to work on the cab until my hands have stopped hurting so much, as I will only ruin my good work so far. I have assembled all of the odd components that are hanging around the house just to get them out of the way whilst I take a break from working on it for a week or two. I think it looks pretty good.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: Project Mame - Bezel, Stainless CP + Glass fitted. - Taking a break
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »
Keep your chin up!
That cab is looking Fantastic!
LOVE the color scheme and design. It's modern but still with that classic feel...
Not easy to pull off, and you did it beautifully

Take a few days off and come back fresh (But not too long I want to see this finished! >:D)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: Project Mame - Bezel, Stainless CP + Glass fitted. - Taking a break
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:29 am »
+1

Taking one step back can lead to two steps forwards.

The cabinet looks great, the colours and the construction design really go well together.

Rest up, then hit hard when you're ready!  :laugh:

:cheers:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Project Mame - 95% done. Renamed Lunarcade
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »
That was quite a rest....

I spent some time over Christmas working on my cab. Most of the hard work is inside and software/scripting. I'll post some pics this weekend.

The cab is now fully playable, running Ubuntu Linux 10.10 with Wah!Cade front end and XBMC for linux simultaneously so I can hotkey between the arcade front end and XBMC as a music and video Jukebox (handy when listening to music whilst playing games.

The PC is also set up as a media server, delivering music and movies to all the TVs in my house. It runs a script every 3 minutes and looks for various signs that either games are being played or media is being viewed. If all's quiet the script waits 5 minutes (just in case) then suspends to RAM to save electricity. All the media players around the house have start-up scripts on them so when they are turned on, they send a magic packet to the arcade cab and wake it from sleep in about 6 seconds, ready to deliver media.

Yesterday I finished installing the PC hardware just in time for a family get together. It was a total hit. I couldn't get near it all day. Even my mother in law was hooked.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:38:37 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
Re: Project Mame - 95% done. Renamed Lunarcade
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »
just great,  :applaud:  :cheers:

also loved the business card thing  :laugh:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 04:15:47 pm »
Couple of photos of the PC de-cased and mounted inside. I made the disk tower with some cheap angle steel from B&Q and a few hours with the MIG welder.

Still to do:
Marquee and side graphics
Make a coin box
Panel mount reset power switches behind the coin door
Paint top vented panel (I remade it as I wasn't happy with it)
Find someone who can sell me a pair of bulb holders for my HAPP coin door - PLEASE can anyone sell me a pair of these and post to the UK?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:25:39 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

lokesen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 12:17:33 pm
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2011, 01:30:46 am »
Nice CP and colors, love it. What marquee are you going to use?
Weecade, Nanocade, Verticade, Project MAME and Taitorama

More to come...

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2011, 05:13:53 am »
Nice CP and colors, love it. What marquee are you going to use?

I'm still playing with different ideas. At the moment this one is winning:

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

ulfur

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2011, 06:37:40 am
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 04:55:02 pm »
Great job, the cab looks absolutely awesome. I for one love the yellow and can't wait to see the fully finished article with the marquee and artwork.

I'm also really curious about your software setup as I mentioned in your "mamebuntu" thread.
It'd be fantastic if you could share some more info on that with us, perhaps in tutorial-esque form if you have the time at all :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
Silas,

One thing to make note of...the bracings you are using will likely cast marquee shadows as they appear too close to the front of the cab. You may think about trimming them back a bit?  I love the cab just worried about the shadow effect.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

geomartin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2017, 08:55:24 am
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
With the bright yellow sides and orange T-molding, have you consider Solarcade?
Please!  Give me the good news first!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2015, 09:14:33 am »
I never did post a pic of the finished machine... so digging my thread up from the dead... here it is.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2015, 10:08:44 am »
Just saw this for the first time today. Beautiful work!

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2015, 11:38:29 am »
Nice work.

Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.