Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring and components - do I have everything I need?  (Read 2360 times)

spOOf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2010, 04:36:21 pm
Wiring and components - do I have everything I need?
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:47:06 pm »
I'm really excited to dig in on my project, but it can really get overwhelming sometimes.  I want to make sure I have what I need (and avoid buying things I don't need).  Here's what I'm thinking:

- 2 black oval  top UltraStik 360s (so, they take up to 8 buttons each)
- 24 buttons (2 players with 7 buttons, 1 player coin, 1 player start, 2 player coin, 2 player start, pause, exit, 2 pinball -flippers, 2 pinball nudge) - I have a control panel with 16 buttons already, will reuse good ones, and order the rest to fill it out
- U-Trak trackball (white)
- TurboTwist 2 with black dome top
- Mini-PAC

For wiring purposes and connecting to the computer, what else do I need?  The U-Trak and TT2 is where I'm leaning right now, but if I have to buy more things just to connect them, I may look elsewhere.  I really want a flush trackball without a plate showing, so that's why I'm choosing the U-Trak (plus, almost all of my other purchases are from Ultramarc).  For the spinner, I like the simplicity of drilling just another button hole and the small space it takes up.  Also, I originally planned on getting a racing wheel, although probably not now.

Anyway, my further plans were this:

Wire a 4 USB for access in the front (hidden) of the panel.  I would use this to hook up components.  I already have a Driving Force Pro steering wheel/pedal combo.  I would plan to attach 2 EMS Top Guns at some point for hook up there as well.  And finally, I've been debating about a flight stick for use in games like Tron, Afterburner, etc.  I can be persuaded here.  I feel like I have room to put a flight stick in the panel, but a cheaper and easier option might be to just use a plug-n-play model?  I've seen flight sticks in the $20-$40 range which is much more reasonable and prevents too much clutter.  I don't mind have to plug it in when needed.  Does anyone go this route?

I did not plan on doing any lighting for this except for my coin mechs and the marquee.  How would I go about lighting those?  If I have to get something big to handle that, that would have excess so I could light the trackball or buttons also, I would consider it.  But that wasn't in my original planning.  And I'm still trying to figure out how I'll turn the whole thing on as well.

I'll hang up and listen now.

Thanks for your input!  I want to buy this weekend if I can.  I'm excited to keep moving!

My project: The Royal Flush

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
Re: Wiring and components - do I have everything I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:55:58 am »
The interface board that comes with the TT2 also allows connection of a trackball, so I don't think you'll need anything else to connect those two devices.

Without knowing how you're planning to lay out your control panel, I'm wondering what you're planning to use as 'fire' buttons for the spinner?  Many designs incorporate a button or two next to the spinner.

You also might want to strongly consider whether you really need 7 buttons per player.  I believe there's only a very small handful of games that actually use 7 buttons.  For most panels, 6 buttons per player is sufficient to cover 99% of the games out there.  Just food for thought.

Also for "turning the whole thing on" you should check out a power strip called "Smart Strip."  This little beauty is set up in such a way that when a single device (plugged into a specified outlet on the unit) is turned on, the smart strip turns everything else on.  They key is that you have to choose components -- usually the monitor is the issue -- that remember their power state so they'll automatically turn on when their respective outlets are turned on.

Check out the NovaMatrix LED Marquee light from Groovy Game Gear for your marquee.  Since it's LED, it will require less power, last longer and generate less heat than a fluorescent setup.

Good luck...
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:03:30 am »
Oh, and thought I'd mention that the U-Trak is not necessarily the only option for achieving a flush trackball.  Many here achieve the same result with other trackball styles simply by routing a recess for the mounting plate, which makes it flush with the CP surface and can then covered by the artwork and clear top.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:43:43 am »
For the 7 buttons, to be honest, I was just following many examples here.  Don't know if I need the 7th button or not.  As I understand it, most people do that just for the "neo-geo" layout.  So you achieve a 6-button fighter style and 4 button neo geo layout in 1 place.  It's funny, but so people suggested 8 buttons to me!

As for the spinner, I was planning to just use the player 1 fire button for the spinner fire, but once I do my mock layout I'll know better if that works.

For the trackball, thanks for that.  I guess I should've said it seemed like the easier solution for a woodworking novice.  And when you add in the money need for the mounting plate on other models, the price seems about the same.

I guess I wasn't sure what I need in terms of the encoder.  Since the U360s take 8 buttons each, I didn't know what I might still need.

Also, still looking for info about the "flight stick."

As for layout, it was going to be the usual 2 player with 7 buttons on either side.  In the middle would be the trackball.  Above player 1 would be the plyr 1 start & coin and spinner.  Above plyr 2 would be pause, plyr 2 starts, plyr 2 coin and exit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:35:27 pm by spOOf »

mlalena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2021, 12:31:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »
I also have 2 U360s with a MiniPac (for spinner, trackball, & extra buttons), and I am running 4 players w/ full pinball on this (40 buttons - some double wired). You should have many extra connectors you could use for other stuff. I wouldn't put them on the top of the panel, but you could hide them on the side if you wanted.

Things you might be missing:
Pinball: Center Nudge, Plunger, Function keys for different table views.
MAME: Save/Load

Some other non-MAME emulators can make use of 7 (or more) buttons, so NeoGeo isn't the only reason to have 4 on the bottom. But in reality, the best games for playing on an arcade system usually don't need more than 3 buttons. Crash Bandicoot (PSX) and simlar games don't need the extra buttons. Games like 007 (N64) do need the buttons but they don't play well on an arcade system anyway.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:39 am »
Thanks mlalena, I wasn't sure about the pinball buttons I would need.  I thought those functions would use the existing buttons, no?  Maybe plunger though.

What kind of spinner did you use?  I'm thinking of going with the TT2, and Gamestar said he believe the trackball can be hooked up to that.  It seems like the mini pac will hardly be used at all.  Just a few extra buttons.  That's why I'm wondering what exactly I need to get.  For example, can I get the TT2 without the hookup, since I'll have the minipac to use anyway?