Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega/Gremlin Cocktail  (Read 5272 times)

OTTOgd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2019, 10:45:16 pm
Sega/Gremlin Cocktail
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »
First project post/thread!

I recently acquired at great expense (:laugh2:) this cocktail cab that I'm not sure what to do with after it's cosmetically restored. I'm pretty handy but a newb when it comes to arcade machines.

I couldn't find a great deal of information or parts for it but the closest I could match it to is the Eliminator (1981):

The instruction card on the table top suggests it was converted to Rygar but I have no idea whether the board or the monitor works.

What a beauty!

I believe it is a WG k4900:

Serial: 117847

Unknown board:

Starting the dismantle:

Player 2 controls. Lotsa rust and mouse poops:

Mouse nest (top right):

Have coin door but missing right frame:

I'm going to grind away all the paint/rust, re-paint, re-laminate the black cab, new glass, and I'm sourcing new wood veneer. I'm just not certain what to do with it. The monitor has a little burn-in and was mounted horizontally. I'm not thinking mame but keeping jamma but I'm not sold on the horizontal. Eliminator does not excite me.

I really enjoy reading the projects/restos on BYOAC and thought I'd pitch in. Thoughts, information and opinions appreciated.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: Sega/Gremlin Cocktail
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:22:00 am »
That's a Rygar PCB alright.

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:21:52 am »
I recently picked up a nearly identical cocktail conversion.  Mine still had a Zaxxon dip switch chart under the top, maybe that's what your cab was too?  Mine has been hacked with 2 Sanwa joysticks on one side, and the other side opening blocked off.  It's got a newer monitor - Sharp Image I think - that runs off the 100V lugs on the transformer. 

The monitor is mounted without a frame, the chassis is screwed right to the inside of the cab - with one screw sticking out the other side.  It's interesting to see that yours is mounted with the frame.  I guess the frame that came with the newer monitor must have been different.

A sign of the times, I put it on craigslist in Seattle for $125 fully working with the JAMMA game Bloxeed in it and haven't had a single email on it in the 4 or so days it's been listed.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:06:26 pm by Paladin »

OTTOgd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2019, 10:45:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »
I don't know what to tell you Paladin but these Sega cabs are kinda odd-balls, I think. At least you can play yours.

For those of you anxious for an update, your wait is over!

Gutted:

Gutted and old veneer removed from front:

Original veneer underneath:

Thank goodness Formica is still growing plastic trees. I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of Cambridge Mahogany 91354-58 as well as 4' x 8' Black Matte from Bury Robert & Co (Canada) Ltd here in Brampton. Close match:

I guess this machine made $14,725:

Wire-wheeled a lot of the small metal. The legs are a bit tough.

That's it for now.

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »
Very cool! I still haven't got around to restoring either of my cocktails... Ugh never have time... You have given me inspiration to get off my arse...!  :cheers:

My cocktail projects waiting in the wings:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=66163.msg668206#msg668206

and

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=82750.msg863712#msg863712
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."