Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: robotron side art w/ out stencils??  (Read 4519 times)

buddhavelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2010, 09:30:27 am
robotron side art w/ out stencils??
« on: July 06, 2003, 05:30:51 pm »
My robotron cabinet is comming along nicely. I'm finally to the part where I either need to cough up $125 for stencils, or fashion my own. I'd really like to save up for an arcade vga though.

A self proclaimed high end cabinet maker claims to have repainted his robotron side art without stencils http://www.jamesgames.biz/galleries/14.htm
"Williams Robotron that we fully reconditioned. We repaired the cabinet,
sides, and custom painted new art on. All done without stencils."

Does anyone have any ideas how to repaint a robo w/out stencils??

-bv

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:robotron side art w/ out stencils??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 06:30:18 pm »
After looking at that sideart, and assuming you want to actually paint the cab somehow(as opposed to using colored tape or something) - I have 2 suggestions:

1).  Make your own stencils out of stiff paper.  Break the sideart down(not literally ;) ) - you don't need to have a big stencil of three lines, but a small stencil of one line you can reposition and use over.  

2) Since Robotron sideart is pretty geometric, you could mask off the areas and paint that way - like detailing a car.  

Either way, I'd recommend airbrushing the paint on - unless you don't have the equip and you're good with a brush.

These 2 methods would probably take longer than if you shelled out 125 clams for stencils, but much much cheaper.  Time vs. $$$.  lol that should be our board motto.  

buddhavelvet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 06:35:27 pm »
Ah, I see. Grid painting. I remember doing that in art class many years ago. I'll give it a try. I don't mind it taking longer. Thanks!

-bv

Ledbetter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2005, 08:13:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 07:47:25 pm »
  I'm working on a Robotron inspired Mame cab and painted the sides without pre-made stencils. I painted the mini-cab graphics instead of the full size art, but you could use the same technique.
   As  Frostillicus said, since the graphics are mostly straight lines, you can just mask them out and spray the correct color. Home Depot sells a straight edge low stick white masking tape that worked very good. It left very crisp edges. The 2084 can be done the same way.
  I used airbrush frisket film to mask out the circle and the W.

It turned out nice, but it took alot of thought and time. I had to draw out all the graphics, trace it onto the cab, mask out all the blue sections, spray, and then do the same with the red.

If you can trace a copy of the original graphics from your cab, using the HD tape should give you good results if you have the time.

Here is a good site with the Robotron paint codes and he has a stenciling tutorial using a different technique than tape that turned out nice on a Stargate cab..  http://www.tutankham.com

buddhavelvet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 08:35:54 pm »
Hey thanks. That robo sideart image on appolo.com gives me an idea. I could in fact have someone @ work blow it up and plot it on mylar so I can make my own stencil.. hmmm...

Anyone have a high res photo of Robotron side art I can use? I'm starting to think my cab. might be done before 2005!  ;D

-bv
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 08:36:22 pm by buddhavelvet »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 01:23:36 am »
If you want to avoid stencils, www.arcadeshop.com has Robotron sideart decals for $125/set.

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 03:39:28 am »
Hey thanks. That robo sideart image on appolo.com gives me an idea. I could in fact have someone @ work blow it up and plot it on mylar so I can make my own stencil.. hmmm...

Anyone have a high res photo of Robotron side art I can use? I'm starting to think my cab. might be done before 2005!  ;D

-bv

Yeah i am also looking for better pics of the sideart to update the robotron model...

Great to see more upcoming robotron inspired cabs. I am planning to make a tabletop inspired by the robotron theme that will host my Robocade project (see http://3darcade.mameworld.net/skins/skins.htm for a stripped down version of it without the Robocade spific functionality ;-) ). I want to take the Robotron artwork and give it my own twist while keeping that unitque Robotron feel!  ;D

peter

buddhavelvet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 07:02:13 am »
Oscar,

I'm trying to avoid the $125  ;)   thanks though.

pics anyone?

-bv

buddhavelvet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 07:04:44 am »
Peter,

Your robotron skin is pretty cool. It has a tron-esque feel to it.

-bv