Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: iPac4 prevents computer boot [SOLVED]  (Read 2521 times)

Hitek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2013, 07:20:25 pm
iPac4 prevents computer boot [SOLVED]
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:08:07 am »
I have an iPac4 USB, and it's working fine except that if it's plugged in when the host computer is turned on or rebooted, it causes the machine to hang on the Dell screen. The machine is a Dell Vostro running Win XP SP3. Once the machine has booted into windows, I can plug in the iPac4 and it works fine. I have no problems updating keymappings or anything, I'm just getting tired of having to unplug and replug it any time the machine boots.

Anyone have any ideas on what's causing this or some way I can stop the issue?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:04:04 pm by Hitek »

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Re: iPac4 prevents computer boot
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:46 am »
Is it USB?  I have had my machine hang at the BIOS screen when certain USB devices are plugged into certain ports.  Startup continues if the device is removed.  Try a different port and see if that helps.  Seems like hubs are more likely to cause this problem.  Also seems to be unrelated to OS since I've had this happen under XP, Vista and Win7.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02:59 am »
It sounds like the computer is trying to boot from the USB device. See if your BIOS has an option to disable USB boot.
(not all computers have an optical drive, operating systems etc can be installed via USB stick)
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:12:04 pm »
Is it USB?  I have had my machine hang at the BIOS screen when certain USB devices are plugged into certain ports.  Startup continues if the device is removed.  Try a different port and see if that helps.  Seems like hubs are more likely to cause this problem.  Also seems to be unrelated to OS since I've had this happen under XP, Vista and Win7.

That's basically what's happening, except startup doesn't continue if the device is removed. It basically locks the machine. Every once in a while, I can manage to press F2 before it locks, then it says "Entering Setup" and just hangs there. I wonder if there's a BIOS update that might fix it.

It sounds like the computer is trying to boot from the USB device. See if your BIOS has an option to disable USB boot.
(not all computers have an optical drive, operating systems etc can be installed via USB stick)

That was my initial thought as well, so I went into BIOS, set the first boot option to the HD and disabled the 2nd-4th boot options, and also disabled the "boot from other devices" option, but that didn't solve it. I'll do some googling and see if there's an updated BIOS to fix this issue.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:24:05 pm »
does the "boot from other devices" specify "boot from usb" as an option?

Another thing you can try, when you see the Dell boot screen, you can sometimes press 'tab' or similar to hide the logo screen and show the actual POST screen, that might help with debugging, so you can see where it's halting.

Oh, actually, see if there's an option in the BIOS to disable 'halt on error'.

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »
does the "boot from other devices" specify "boot from usb" as an option?

Another thing you can try, when you see the Dell boot screen, you can sometimes press 'tab' or similar to hide the logo screen and show the actual POST screen, that might help with debugging, so you can see where it's halting.

Oh, actually, see if there's an option in the BIOS to disable 'halt on error'.

The Boot from Other Devices is actually Boot from add-in cards, and you can't disable it, only push it down the list to a lower priority.
There are only 2 "Halt on" options: Halt on All and Halt on All, but keyboard (the latter is selected)

I missed 1UP's part about some hubs causing this issue and it seems he was right. I'm using a dlink powered USB hub to connect the CP, keyboard and mouse, and if I disconnect the CP from that it works fine. If I plug the CP into the extension cable, it works fine. It's only when I have the CP plugged into the hub that it locks things up. I'm going to try plugging the hub into different connectors on the MOBO (Who knows, I may have it in 1.1 when it needs to be 2.0 or something)

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 06:08:40 pm »
oh wow, interesting. glad you've found the problem then :)

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »
oh wow, interesting. glad you've found the problem then :)

Well, it seems it's a bit more strange than that. It seems that if the hub and the iPac4 are BOTH plugged in, it locks. If either one of them is unplugged, it works. When I tried it earlier, I neglected to plug the hub back in, so I thought it was all working.

It doesn't seem to matter what USB port either one is plugged into either. Looks like I'm going to have to find a new hub or just use 4 individual USB extensions.

Clarification: The iPac4 doesn't need to be plugged into the hub for it to lock. It can be plugged into a separate port, or into the hub. If both devices are plugged in, regardless of the configuration, it locks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:20:25 pm by Hitek »

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 06:34:56 pm »
oh wow, that is an interesting conflict!
what else is plugged into USB? is it possible the bios isn't liking multiple mice/keyboards?

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:02 pm »
what else is plugged into USB? is it possible the bios isn't liking multiple mice/keyboards?

The only other thing plugged in is a logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and that doesn't seem to factor in at all.
For now, I've switched to 2 USB extension cables, but in the future I'll have to find a hub that works because my 2nd control panel is going to have at least an ipac and an optipac, and I was thinking of trying out 2 of those topgun II's.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help guys.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how the topguns go. I'm wanting to use them, but am worried that once mounted, you may need to stand too far back? the closest I will be able to get them together (above and below the screen) is about 600mm

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:22:28 pm »
well, my machine is a showcase with a 50" plasma screen and there is about 4 feet between the screen and where the players stand. As long as the cables are long enough, there *should* be plenty of room for my setup.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
That looks pretty awesome.   :applaud:

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:33:30 pm »
wowa nice, yeah, you've got a bit of room there :)

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »
Thanks. As you can see, it's not quite complete yet. I hooked it up about a month ago to get all the software configured and test it out a bit, and it's been like that ever since. Time has been an issue lately, but that's about to work itself out. Next, I will have to convince my friends to let me disassemble it so I can finish it :)

swamprat96

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2012, 03:29:46 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:33:25 pm »
jeef- 3 to 4 times the distance between the led stands is what you need to stand back for topguns. On my cab I stand 90cm back. (26" screen)

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 10:24:39 pm »
jeef- 3 to 4 times the distance between the led stands is what you need to stand back for topguns. On my cab I stand 90cm back. (26" screen)
cheers, I'll need to stand around 2m back then... should make Police Trainer more realistic I suppose :)

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »

That could be the problem. The answer would be to disable USB keyboard support or "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS,

Hitek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 03:11:28 am »

That could be the problem. The answer would be to disable USB keyboard support or "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS,
Andy, I don't think that's the problem, and either way, I don't think my BIOS has those options. The computer boots fine in any of the following configurations:
1: USB Hub, and USB logitech Mouse/keyboard (either plugged into the hub or in another USB slot)
2: iPac4, and USB logitech Mouse/keyboard (doesn't matter what USB slots)
3. iPac4, Razor mouse, Microsoft KB
USB Hub, Razor mouse, Microsoft KB

The problem is when I have the hub AND the iPac4 plugged in at the same time. And it doesn't matter if anything else is plugged into the hub or not, and I don't have to have the iPac4 plugged into the hub either. If the hub is plugged in and the iPac4 is plugged in, the computer won't boot. If either one of them is removed, regardless of what else is plugged in, the computer boots fine.

It's working fine now with the 2 extension cables and no hub, and right now I'm not sure which one is causing it, but I'll let you know when I get a new hub.

(and just for reference, I have tried the iPac4 in different ports on the hub too)

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 10:37:39 am »
theoretically you can reach 5 meters without hub, if you need more distance (ore to use an hub with a long cable) you need to use a self powered hub.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:39:10 am by Bluedeath »
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Hitek

• Offline Offline
Re: iPac4 prevents computer boot [SOLVED]
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »
Well, I finally got around to replacing the USB hub and that solved the problem. For anyone else that might have this problem in the future, the "bad" hub is a D-Link model DUB-H7 7 port USB hub. The new one I have is a Kensington 33368 Pockethub 7.