Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High Score Competition #20 - Terra Cresta  (Read 12444 times)

DrFrag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 10:14:47 am
    • MAME Cab Worklog
High Score Competition #20 - Terra Cresta
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
The competition so far:

#1 - Shinobi - Winner: Destructor
#2 - Jungle Hunt - Winner: CrazyKongFan
#3 - Zoo Keeper - Winner: DeLuSioNal29
#4 - Q*Bert - Winner: quarterstringer
#5 - Robotron 2084 - Winner: (+_+)
#6 - Joust - Winner: Shoegazer
#7 - Elevator Action - Winner: FrontyDev
#8 - Mr Do - Winner: DeLuSioNal29
#9 - Hyper Sports - Winner: drawfull
#10 - Wonder Boy - Winner: DrFrag
#11 - Bubble Bobble - Winner: mrclean
#12 - Gun.Smoke - Winner: isucamper
#13 - Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Winner: Ginsu Victim
#14 - Ms Pac-Man (with speedup hac) - Winner: CrazyKongFan
#15 - Frogger - Winner: CrazyKong Fan, Second: Jasonbar
#16 - Grobda - Winner: Mimic, Second: Cornchip
#17 - Bank Panic - Winner: ahofle, Second: jasonbar
#18 - Juno First - Winner: RayB, Second: Shoegazer
#19 - Rolling Thunder - Winner: DrFrag, Second: isucamper

I nearly went with Battle Chopper for this round, which is kind of fun but horribly frustrating.  Instead I've chosen the vertical scrolling shoot-em-up Terra Cresta.  I used to play this at my local deli after school where a bunch of us would compete.  I don't know if I can be considered good at it, but my score won't count for this competition.

"Terra Cresta is a vertically-scrolling shoot-em-up set over a constantly scrolling landscape of islands and enemy installations. The player is under constant attack from enemy spaceship waves, ground-based guns and turrets, dinosaurs and three different mothercraft ships.

The levels are littered with ground-based silos bearing numbers between 2 and 5. These can be shot to release a player ship component, which then attaches to the player's current ship, increasing both its size and firepower. Power-ups available are 2-Wide shot, 3-Rear Shot, 4-Front cannon and 5-Rear shield.

Using the "Phoenix" button splits the ship parts into a formation for limited time, giving increased fire power. The number of parts acquired determines the formation. For example, if the player has picked up two ship parts then a triangle is formed, with the player's main ship at the rear of the formation, with additional two ship components positioned at the front edge of the triangle.

When all four numbered parts have been collected, the player's ship transforms into a flaming Phoenix, and is indestructable for a limited time."

Competition Rules:

- You can only use terracre.zip, on these settings:

Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 20k then every 60k
Difficulty: Easy
1 credit, no continues
no cheats!

- Use any mame version or variant you wish.

- Last day is Monday, June 15th (11:59:59pm Pacific Daylight Time), 2009.

- High score wins (if tied, a tie-breaker game will be chosen at random).

- No savestates, savestate practices, etc during the round.

- MAME INP recordings are optional, but encouraged!

- A screenshot is required to enter a score (press F12 to save screenshot showing your final score) or take a photo of the screen if playing on a real machine.

- If you're a MARP competitor on this title, keep in mind this is just a friendly competition amongst forum members, so maybe you shouldn't enter. However, if you're a forum member and this is a game you're good at and nobody knows about it, this is your time to shine!

Playing tips posted below:

Enemies enter the screen in different patterns based on whether you're on the left, centre or right of the screen.  Use this to force them into pattern that are easier to kill.

Don't be afraid to use your phoenix splits, especially as you're about to collect a new power-up.

Once you have all power-ups, you can let yourself get clipped by a bullet to lose 2 or 4 of them.  This way, you can collect them again and refresh your three phoenix splits.

If you shoot a dinosaur from the front, you can then shoot its bones with reverse fire.  A bonus will fly out of its remains which is worth 1000 points when shot.

GOOD LUCK!

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: High Score Competition #20 - Terra Cresta
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:54:44 pm »
Now I remember the reasons I don't like this game. Anyways, not a bad run.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:28:02 am »
You're winning.  :)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:37:24 pm »
Hm, Juno First showed up on CL in Los Angeles during the last competition, & now Terra Cresta ("Presta"?) shows up: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/1202582878.html

Coincidence?  I think not!   ;)

-Jason

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:56:17 am »
It's been bringed!

Played this for a few hours tonight.

My impression: Xevious rip-off, w/ some Galaga elements thrown in too.  Boy, it's hard to predict the patterns given that the baddies do indeed come out in different locations & follow different patterns based on where you are.

Gripes: too many things stop your bullets--the baddies have lots of free blocking.  This is even worse when you have just 1 bonus ship piece & do a Phoenix Split.  Your shots are so wide that some things are actually unshootable because they're next to or behind other close items!  Lots of superfast shots & ships zipping out & killing you before you can react.  And lots of ships lined up for easy shots, but your shot repeat rate isn't fast enough to blow them away before they mow you over.  Also, I often took a hit & lost my ship upgrade without even seeing what hit me.  :hissy:

Recommendations: learn where everything is--the ground items are always in the same place.  Use your 3 Phoenix Splits for each piece you pick up, except the 1st pickup (one more annoyance with the 1st split is that you sometimes end up on the left & sometimes on the right--and it's weird to have your shots be offset from your ship--screwy!).  Try to concentrate on the ground targets--the air targets fly all over the place & will likely fly in front of you--knock out the ground targets.  Realize that many enemies that can't be destroyed w/ your basic ship can be destroyed w/ a Phoenix Split array.

Praise: this game kept me coming back to try to get a little farther, unlike Rolling Thunder.  Pretty slick graphics & variety.  I'll have another go at it when (not if) somebody demolishes my score...

-Jason

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:17 am »
Yeah, the only time it's worth splitting with a single power-up is when you have otherwise indestructable enemies, like the slow missile ships and the electric barrier ships (my descriptions suck).

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 12:18:27 am »
Hnhh. I haven't even played it since then, let alone to study it much. Another thing that blows is collision detection. Definitely a lamer, in light of Xevious - which had great motion, graphics (particularly in 'depth' of objects, whereas TC largely looks flat), firing, and fairly balanced collision detection.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 03:53:03 am »
Man, I was kicking its ASS, and then lost all my ships in about five thousand points.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:35:30 pm »
Never played this game before, but I'm glad I tried it out.  Lots of fun.  Frustrating...but fun.  Best game so far is 56K so I need to practice more.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 12:46:40 am »
Speaking of Xevious, a funny thing happen last night.

I was at a bar and they had one of those 40-in-1 tabletop cabs.  There were 3 or 4 guys playing it and I went over to them.  Normally I'm pretty shy, but I confess I'd had a lot to drink.  So I pull out a $10 note, slap it on the table, and say "Ten bucks says I can beat any of you guys at any game".  They said okay, and while they weren't willing to put up any money they did pay for my credit.  The guy I was playing against chose Xevious, and for some reason scored 0 in his first life.  I proceeded to kick ass, and half way through my second life the game reset itself then locked up.  You know how when it starts up the screen shows a bunch of scrambled sprites?  They thought I'd reached some kind of kill screen, like I was so good the game couldn't handle it.  Their reaction was so funny.  They conceded defeat, shook my hand, and told me I should try to make a job out of it.

So these competitions aren't a waste of time after all.  ;D

isucamper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04:39 pm »
Dr Frag.  Your lucky it wasn't me at the bar.  I would have picked Gun Smoke.  The only way I'll beat you is when carpal tunnel is on my side.

I might as well limp ahead here. 

Another great game I've never heard of.  Kinda reminds me of Silpheed on the Sega CD.  I bet the guys that made that game were inspired by this. 

I'm getting a lot of good games on my cab because of these competitions.  Thanks guys.
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
This is a pretty cool game and is growing on me.  I still can't get much past the 50K mark though.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:15 pm »
This is a pretty cool game and is growing on me.  I still can't get much past the 50K mark though.

I concur on all points! (pun intended)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:20:36 am »
I'm improving.  Got up to 75K.  I've yet to get all the power ups and get to the invincible stage.  It seems everytime I split into the three ships, I die quickly.  Better to stay as one and take a few shots.

Fun game!
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:31:52 am »
Out of curiosity, how many of you competing in these challenges, are using a keyboard?
NO MORE!!

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:08 am »
I've used a keyboard on the ones I've played. I haven't done the last couple either due to lack of interest or being busy with other stuff ;D

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:40 am »
Out of curiosity, how many of you competing in these challenges, are using a keyboard?

Control panel all the way!  I tried playing a little bit of TC this weekend on a gamepad & my laptop, but it didn't even come close to a proper control panel...

-Jason...gotta crush that Isucamper guy who just barely weaseled by my high score...    :angry:      ;D

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 12:19:48 pm »

Control panel for me.

geocab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2012, 01:32:05 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:04 pm »
Am I this bad at playing games, or are you guys just this good?  I haven't been even close to being near the top in any of these comps!  Good choice for this round, never heard of this game before, but it's a good shooter.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »

I can't do it. I have to use arcade controls. I've even tried using a PS2 gamepad and that didn't work well for me, either.

ARCADE CONTROLS FTW!

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »
-Jason...gotta crush that Isucamper guy who just barely weaseled by my high score...    :angry:      ;D

neener neener!!  I'm stuck now like I was with my Rolling Thunder high score... can't even get close to it again. 

I'm on a control panel.  When I thought I was going to win the Rolling Thunder competition, I had this big long acceptance message planned out where I was going to offer accepting sponsorship from Andy at Ultimarc.

"ISUCamper, 2 time winner of the BYOAC high score competition only play's his games with Ultimarc products.
<cut to a clip of me in a nice sweater where I turn from my cabinet and say>
For professional controls, you can't beat the Ultimarc 360!  <tooth twinkle>"

Thanks a lot Dr Frag for screwing it all up for me. 

geocab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 07:05:24 pm »
That's priceless, isu. :laugh2:

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:28:35 am »
Finally feel like I broke through the plateau I was hitting.  Still lots of room for improvement though.

INP recorded with .129 + highscore/no nag.  If you watch it, you might have to sit through 1 or 2 failed attempts.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 01:21:16 am »
ARCADE CONTROLS FTW!

Indeed. Years back when I first got into Mame, I waited till my X-arcade came before I was really playing games. Of course, that wasn't good enough, so I had to go with a fuller-fleshed panel. Now and then, if I'm on a different monitor, I'll screw around with the keyboard.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:15 am »
I'm improving.  Got up to 75K.  I've yet to get all the power ups and get to the invincible stage. 

Okay, I finally got to see the invincible Phoenix!  46K on my first guy...and then death came swiftly.  Didn't even beat my high of 75K. 

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:21 am »
Finally feel like I broke through the plateau I was hitting.  Still lots of room for improvement though.

Ugh, & I was about to post my awesome 116k from last night.

Boooooo...   :P

-Jason

padstack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 12:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 01:24:52 am »
One of my all time favs.  I suck, but will submit a score anyway since I love this game!  Any tips are appreciated too!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »
Played last night and couldn't even hit the top five on my high score list.  It just wasn't going well.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »
isucamper, that's more than double my hi score :'(

get that speech ready..... you bastard ;)

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »
I'm lookin' good for another awesome 2nd place finish!   ;D  Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...   :'(

-Jason

Gavica

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 09:56:15 am
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:46 pm »
Is this the game that you turned into a big robot?

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 05:48:40 pm »
C'mon guys.  We've got all weekend yet.  My score is completely crushable. 

geocab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »
Can I play 10 games and add my scores together? 

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »

Past few nights there's been an obscene amount of swearing coming from my basement.  I need to quit this game.  Some of the bullets that come towards you are so small... it's easy to lose track of them and poof... you're dead. 

And what is with those spiky things that encircle you and block your shots?  Is there anything you can do to get those off of you?

inp recorded with .129 + hiscore/nonag

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 12:29:07 am »

how long do I have to wait till you impale your chin on a miniature church spire in a model village? ;)

oh, man I just have to face the fact that I suck at this game :'(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:42:01 am by Bender »

geocab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:34 am »
Thanks, Bender, now I know what movie I'm watching next. ;D

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:25 am »
And what is with those spiky things that encircle you and block your shots?  Is there anything you can do to get those off of you?
You need to split up your ship with two or more power-ups.  Otherwise, it's hard.  The spikey things only hang around for about the length of one split.

I don't usually run into trouble until I get to around 200,000.  There's a stage where if you die, you can only get one power-up before the next boss arrives.  And it's one of those crab bosses that shoot heaps of bullets and fire little enemy ships at you.  Without decent firepower it's almost impossible.

Good tactics are to save your splits for the bosses, and use splits just before picking up another power-up.  Generally, bosses are preceded by enemies that can't be killed with normal shooting (the electric ones and the missiles).  If you have the #4 power-up (my favourite one), it does a lot of damage and you can easily kill the first diamond boss without using a split.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:30 am »
I can't even get by the first Crab Boss, that's where my game always ends

any suggestions?

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 10:55:29 am »
The easiest way to defeat it is split into 3 or 5 parts.  The split into 4 parts sucks, because the shots just go in circles and you don't hit much.  Of course, it's hard to choose how many parts you have when you get up to it.

If you're lucky enough to have all 5 parts, focus the boss between the inner diagonal shots of the upper two ship pieces.  That does a lot of damage.

Otherwise, just hold back near the bottom of the screen and dodge his bullets.  Your diagonal firing will take care of the mini ships that fly out.

Here's one I prepared earlier.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/doctorfrag/terracresta.gif (903 KB)
I've attached the INP.  It shows defeating that type of boss with 5, 4 and 3 components at around 50K, 100K and 200K points respectively.

Edit: recorded with MAME32 v0.129
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:03:55 am by DrFrag »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 12:01:43 pm »
I can't even get by the first Crab Boss, that's where my game always ends

any suggestions?

Typically, I need to get to that guy as a phoenix in order to beat him.  I've done it a few times with the 3 split, but even getting to him can be a challenge if you died on your way there. 

A lot of my games end on that run, but if I can push past it, then that's when I start scoring above 100K.

PS:  Dr. Frag.  We have no need for your showing off.  This thread is about how great I am at this game.  Don't you forget it.   ;)