Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: YAAM - Yet Another Arcade Machine, is now Xmas Arcade  (Read 29590 times)

jeef

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
YAAM - Yet Another Arcade Machine, is now Xmas Arcade
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:07:44 pm »
No, I'm not giong to call it YAAM. But it has no other name yet.

Just a standard upright cab, based mostly on the Mortal Kombat cabinets. Not too many details yet, other than I'm going to (try) using a 29" CRT TV. I wanted to go a bit smaller, around 27" but the damn things are hard to find.

The control panel artwork is only conceptual.

I'm hoping to begin some construction this weekend! My first major wood working project.

Am I missing the image upload feature? I'll use Postimage.org for now:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:32:13 pm by jeef »
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

mahalos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2017, 06:21:53 pm
Re: YAAM - Yet Another Arcade Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »
Looks like a pretty solid design.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the 29" TV.  I've only used arcade and PC monitors, but my next upright is going to use a TV so it be interesting to see how you get on.

Let the construction begin... :cheers:

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »
Cheers :)

Yeah, I kept my eye on a few TV's on trademe, you can easily pickup a 29" for around $50, you have to keep a close eye on whether or not it has s-video though. 25-27" is really hard to find.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:02 am »
Okay, finally got started this weekend! This has been quite a few weeks in the planning.

I started by pulling apart the 29" CRT TV. The only space I'm allowed to use inside the house is this tiny little room that actually used to be the entrance hall:

First, check that I have all the required saftey equipment. This is my first major woodworking project, don't want to loose any thumbs:

Better add the traditional shot of my wood :applaud:

Once I got the tube out I cleared some room on my workbench and started to build a frame for it:

I used clamps plus a straight piece of timber to help me cut straight. After freehanding the tube frame I knew there was no way I could free hand this!

And there, my first side completed. Only took me like 2 hours to draw up and cut :dizzy:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:13:20 pm »
looks like you are off to a good start...keep those pics coming
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »
Thanks! Will do :)

mahalos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 04:14:31 am »
Looking good so far buddy :cheers:

skyblast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2020, 10:11:01 am
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »
Making this cut to the back of my cab was BY FAR the smartest/luckiest thing I ever did!!

Why?

It allowed me access to a power strip

It gave me the ability to move the cab closer to the wall

It also saved the molding near the carpet from being gouged or scuffed

Just my two cents
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:19:09 pm by skyblast »

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:16:14 pm »
@mahalos :cheers:

@skyblast  Interesting, cheers. I will see if I can work it, or something similar, into my design

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:34 pm »
I'm going to cut out the other side this weekend, and if there's time, cut out the panels. I'm basing a lot of my construction ideas on Martijn's Street Fighter Arcade: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84649.0l

But I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to fix the and then the bezel to the frame, and then hold the glass on top. Any Ideas? Anyone have any details drawings/photos of how they have done theirs?

I was thinking of sandwiching the top of the bezel and glass between the top speaker board, and a piece of angle like this:

And then do something similar at the bottom:

mahalos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:11:32 am »
Hey man, 

what sort of TV did you end up buying?  i can see it's a 29",  but did you get a flat screen and did you go for s-video or component? 

did you check to see if when the TV is turned back it's still on the same channel as when you powered off (AV1 or whatever). I only ask cause the TV i have got at home (philips 36") always turns on at TV One.....which just pisses me off  :banghead:  and would be no good for use in an arcade.

Here's hoping you have a productive weekend and the weather isn't too bad in your part of the country.

PS.  i got my t-moulding today. I ended up going to T-moulding.com   as they were cheaper than the guy in aussie. shipping was $20 US and it arrived in a week and a half....not bad :applaud:

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 08:31:50 pm »
It's just an old Phillips TV. Has s-video inputs, have already tested them, Police Trainer plays well ;)
I'm not sure what it does in terms of startup. I forgot to test that, and it's no in pieces so I won't know until I put it all back together. I think if you can find a box with SCART inputs that would be more ideal, because some of them will switch to the input when it detects a signal. That would be handy.

I've got the bottom, back and top panels cut. Was hoping to cut the other side panel today as well, but my old man just came around with out heat transfer system, so I will be installing that today. Maybe I will get the other side cut tomorrow.

oh neat, although how much did you spend on the t-moulding? hopefully not more on postage than on moulding?

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:10:35 am »
Zero work done on it today due to installing the heat transfer. However I've got the second side sketched up and ready to cut. Still need to figure out hot I'm going to hold the bezel and glass in place.

jeef

• Offline Offline
Re: YAAM - Yet Another Arcade Machine, is now Mortal Arcade
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:14 pm »
Hopefully I will get some work done this weekend. I hope to cut out the other side and start doing some actual assembly.

I think I've settled on a name; Mortal Arcade. This whole project started when umk3 came out for the x360, so my hommage is to Mortal Kombat. Here's a draft of the marquee:

mahalos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »
Looks really good dude,  I can't wait to see what you come up with for your CPO and sideart (if you're doing any)  I regret never doing any artwork on the machines i've built .....well apart from a token "mame" marquee on one of them. I'll be interested to see where you get them printed and how they turn out.

In reply to your t-moulding question i spent NZ$75 all up on 12m of chrome, which i didn't think was too bad seeing as it came from the US.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:13 pm »
I think I've settled on a name; Mortal Arcade. This whole project started when umk3 came out for the x360, so my hommage is to Mortal Kombat. Here's a draft of the marquee:

You misspelled "Arkade"

;D

-Jason

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 12:44:02 am »
@jasonbar haha, good idea! I might have to try that, see how it looks :D

@mahalos Yeah, side and control panel is proving quite difficult. I'm not a graphic artist at all, so it's quite a challenge. All part of the project though! Ah yes, you required chrome, that would be pretty hard to find around here eh. I guess you're covering the cost of the trouble of trying to source it.

I managed to get the other side cut today, just need to round the top corners to match.

I've also cut out (almost) all of the panels. Will be taking them around to the old mans place to square them up on his planer.

I was trying really hard to not let my old man or brother find out about this project until it was almost done but they saw it last weekend. The reason I wanted to keep it from them is because I knew they would laugh at me (they did) because my brother is a builder by trade, and my old man a joiner by hobby. And I'm a software/web developer. I would laugh at either of them if they were to build a piece of software, so it's only fair. But they know now and the old man has been giving me some useful advice.

system01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 12:55:45 am »
Ha ha, thats funny.  Make sure you turn off the pushbutton-credit when they come and visit. ;D

I like your swooping curves.  Those little details really update the design.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 04:07:36 am »
@system01 haha, yup, I'll make sure the coin buttons are disabled ;) and thanks :)

I didn't get my panels squared up today. Have to make some descisions on a couple of lengths first. So I've started glueing and screwing the batons on. I took a length of 2x4 to my old mans and got it ripped in half. I was going to buy some 2x2's, but since I already had this and access to a rip-saw, this is cheaper :)

I only have 8 clamps so can only do a few batons at a time. My time to work on this is normally only limited to weekends, but since this is quite a quick procedure I hope to get them all glued up during the week.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 03:52:39 am »
Update:

• I now have all the batons glued and screwed.
  • I'm re-doing the frame for the TV/monitor. I'm going to use t-nuts to hold the monitor in rather than relying on screws in MDF.
  • All the main panels are now cut and squared to width. I just need to cut them to length.

So, not sure how I will go for time during the week, but next weekend I should be able to (finally) start attaching some panels! I also need to start work on the control panel, just some final tweaks to te design of that before I start.

I will also need to do the routing for the t-moulding soon I guess. I am also still trying to decide between painting and using something like Formica. The Formica route will be quite expensice I think.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:04 am »
Okay, made some visible progress today, the cabinet is actually starting to take shape! Have trimming and dry fitting my panels. Have only got the speaker board left to do. I actually glued one of the speaker boards batons on a little crooked, so need to trim that up a bit first.

I still need to finish my mount/bracket for the TV. But I think I will soon start on the control panel.

Front: For now there will be no coinbox, that will come later when I have more monies. For now I'm saving up for the controls, far more important.

Back: Cat approves... I think?

mahalos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »
You're certainly making good progress,  I must say i'm quite envious as it's been awhile since i've done anything major......although i have been working on a laser etched side-lit acrylic cpo......i not too sure why, but it seemed like a cool idea :dunno

Have you've decided on what sort of controls you are going to use?

keep up the good work :cheers:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
This project is starting to take shape. Very good work!

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 04:28:47 am »
@mahalos thanks, by what sort do you mean brand? Brand, I'm not sure yet. But I'm going for a simple 2 8-ways, with 7 buttons each. I think this is common? With no trackball. Ommitting the trackball seems to be an uncommon move? But these projects we do are based on what we remember as kids, and personally, I never played any games that required a trackball.

@DaOld Man Cheers, yeah, it's been a little sad having two side panels and nothing assembled. Been a great sense of achivement having something that actually is starting to look like the finished product! :)

mahalos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 04:46:12 am »
Sorry for being so vague on the controls question....

I guess i wanted to know brand and layout i guess,  but i had a hunch you weren't going to go with a trackball. I've never had one either and don't remember playing with one. The only plus side i can see is the fact they can double as  a mouse for navigation i think??   I think it'd be pretty expensive for us to get one down our end of the world, and i'm still upset i can't get one of those sweet touchscreens off ebay that all the guys use in their jukebox builds.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 05:02:27 am »
No worries :)

Yeah, no idea on brand yet. I'm still deciding if I can stretch for the Sanwa joysticks etc. I'll post a screenshot tomorrow of my current control panel.

I've got a, I think 7" screen that I got locally (well, from Auckland, I'm down south). It's an Xenarc. I use it as a jukebox, just no where near as cool looking as the Mountain design! Mine is just the screen stuck on top of the computer case. It works well, but I would love to integrate into something a little more suave! Maybe next project :)

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 05:42:14 pm »
And here's a quick pic of my current iteration of the control panel. I was going to have a big curved front, but it din't quite quite the overall design I don't think. So have gone for something a bit easier to cut :)

The button layout is based on my placing my hand comfortably down on a piece of paper and marking where my fingers landed. But I've just realised I was seated when I did this, so will have to try standing to see if the layout is still comfortable. While seated I found my pinky finger sat lower which is why I've placed the 4th button on the pinky side, rather than index side.

I plan to make the lower buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 for 1, 2, 3 or 4 button games and use the upper 3 buttons only for 6 button fighters (Mortal Kombat). My friends have asked me "What games use 4 buttons?" and I'm like "err... I don't actually know". But I've found one, Metal Slug 5! :D

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 10:07:22 pm »
I'd move the 7th button up to the top row. That'll make the neo-geo games feel a little better I think. Just me though.

Lookin good.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 10:37:17 pm »
And use the top row as the 1, 2, 3, 4? I wondered if the bottom 3 would get in the way?
I'll be doing some draft layouts on scrap MDF so will have a play with a few options :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »
7th button to the left imo, and I'm a bigger fan of 2 rows of 3 straight buttons with the 7th offset so the bottom row is like a NeoGeo layout.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:43 am »
Thinking about it, when I did my "relaxed hand" technique to find a layout, I wasn't taking into consideration the position of my relative to my body. My current design would work great if you didn't need to bring your arm in front of your body. But since the joystick is so near, that is how we stand.

So my current layout would require the user to bend their wrist at an awkward angle. I think this layout will need a bit of tweaking actually.

However I think I'm happy now with the shape of the whole control box.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 11:13:11 pm »
Small Update:

One of my batons was glued on crooked. It was fine at one end but over the line at the other. It's the one that will hold the speaker board in place. So I scribed a line and took too it with the skill saw. All better.

I also had to trim my front panel so that it lined up nicely at the bottom. Not that this would be visible due to it being a butt joint.

Also, I unscrewed all the boards and have started gluing them in place. No photos yet because it looks exactly the same except glued as well as screwed. All but the top most board and speaker board, because I need to do something with them in order to be able to attach the marquee retainers.

I'm hoping to get the Castor's on asap because this thing is damn heavy, and I have to put it away after each bout of work on it so that I can get my car in the garage. A full sheet of 18mm MDF is supposedly 40-50kg, so if I use all my MDF then this bad boy will weigh up to 150kg without the monitor. So this thing will weigh around 200kg. Holy crap. I might nned to buy bigger Castor's... :o

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 12:39:38 am »
Okay, I have a couple of photos to share this time.

For marquee retainers I'm just using some uneven 25x15mm angle aluminium. So I need a flat surface both top and bottom. And since both top and bottom (speaker) panels are at weird angles this is a little tricky.

I already had used my jigsaw (has adjustable tilt) to make the odd angle cut on the top panel so that it has a flat face, but my speaker panel was untouched.

I took both top and speaker panels around to my old mans and borrowed his flat bed planer to make a perpendicular face for the top panel:

And then for the speaker panel I used the rip saw (which can tilt it's blade) to make this cut:

I will then glue the off-cut to the under side like this:

To give me a perpendicular surface, like this (I haven't glued this panel in place yet)

I am a little worried about how close the retainer will get to the edge. I was trying to keep an even 20mm offset. This might be the exception though :-\
I then glued and screwed the top panel in place. I still have some work to do on the speaker panel before that gets stuck in yet though.

After this I still had some time so I took to my TV brackets with the router. This jigsaw hard a hard time cutting through 36mm of MDF so they needed a lot of tidying up! They still need some work in order to get them to fit around the TV and inside the cabinet, but they're looking pretty good I think.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:46:43 am by jeef »

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 12:46:11 am »
The picture depicting the first major woodworking project is pure win...battle ready indeed!

I like the curves on your side panels and look forward to seeing this project progress.  Also, nice approach on the marquee retainer!

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2009, 01:02:57 am »
@Epyx haha, cheers :) Yeah, I was going to go for small square pieces, but it would get a little fiddly, and this has the same end result. The other option is to try and bend the aluminium angle. It's 1.6mm thick, and I don't have access to any sort of folding machine, so not sure how feasible that would be.

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:20 am »
I've made a bit of progress in the last couple of days. Yesterday I took some wood around to my old mans house and borrowed his rip saw to cut up the panels that will make up the control box. This is soo much quicker than the jigsaw. I've decided to use rebate (rabbet?) joints for this. I'm not a joiner and it shows. It took two miscalulations to get all my pieces the right size. :-[ But I am quiet pleased with the final result.

Here is the back panel of the control box. The bottom route is for the bottom panel (10mm mdf) and the big missing chunk is actually space for buttons (player starts/coin buttons would otherwise conflict with this panel). I will also use this hole for cables, or I might make another hole for that.

This is the right side panel. There is a slight angle on the top, so that the control panel is on an angle. The side routes are for the rebate joints and the bottom route is for the bottom panel again.

And here's the lot all glued and clamped, no screws. My god this was missions to clamp, need like 5 hands. :dizzy:

I then went ahead and finished sizing up the TV frame mounts. Hopefully this weekend I will attach them to the TV and in turn, mount the TV in the cabinet. I am not looking forward to this as the TV is, as you all know, heavy.

Routing leaves a LOT of dust!

And here's the control panel box in place! (not fixed yet, will bolt it so that it is removable)

And here's a close up.

This is my first time using a router and I have learnt two things. 1. It's actually very easy to use and not that scary and 2. it makes a LOT of mess!

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
welcome to the wonderful world of routing.

Yeah....it makes a lot of mess with MDF for sure. I love my router....but I hate routing MDF. Getting covered in a thick layer of MDF dust isn't that pleasant in 100 degree weather.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:15 pm »
I did my buttons as follows:

11  22  33
11  55  33
44  55  66
44        66

It's not literally that drastic (each set of 4 numbers is a button..had to doulbe it to show the corect spacing), but with this I have an offset 6 button, that is very playable for SF games (Buttons 1-6, a perfect 5 button MK layout (buttons 1,3,4,5,6 and 7 for run), and a great Neo Geo layout with the 4 buttons on the bottom (4,5,6,7)

Thought this might help some since it seems to be MK themed : )
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

jeef

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 07:41:41 pm »
@Gatsu Yeah, it's great fun! But being covered in that layer of dust in that heat would be uncomfortable! It's the middle of winter down here, so 0-10c (32-50f), but still the face mask is almost too warm!

@Aceldamor Thanks very much for that. I like the idea of the 5 button layout for MK. My button layout is currently under review so will be takingyour suggestions into consideration :) So your button 6 is slightly tot he right (of button 3)?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 10:39:37 am »
I think he's taking the MK layout, with the #2 button above where block would be and then his run button to the right of the cluster instead of to the left like in UMK3. Im not big on using my pinky finger for gaming, hence my desire to have it on the left (and its closer to the real run button of MK, and the A button of NeoGeo)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.