Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Turtle power!!! A TMNT restore.  (Read 14618 times)

patchboston

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 09:31:04 am
Turtle power!!! A TMNT restore.
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »
This past weekend I had the opportunity to pick up a converted Konami cab from local collector, Rob Carroll. Let me say, TMNT was probably thee game I played at the arcade circa 1990/1991. I was crossing my fingers the whole ride up hoping this cab was in fact TMNT and not the Simpsons or Sunset Riders, thankfully I started to peel back some of the laminate to reveal the washed out background of TMNT! Pretty excited from that point on. The monitor is original, a 25" WG7000. Eventually I'll like to give that guy a cap kit, but it's not on the priorities list. I tend to learn more towards restoration/structural repair, and that's where I intend to start.

I'm starting on the...

Cp:
1. Sand down the control panel, fill in holes, and repair damage on player 3's joystick hole.
2. Replace control panel overlay with a NOS one from ebay, or someone on the forum.
3. Install replacement buttons and Joysticks. Note, I'm planning on going with NOS Wico sticks from Wu, and the long leaf switches from Bob Robert's.

Things I need to buy:

TMNT 4-player Jamma board

Marquee

Control Panel Overlay

Sticker sheet for coin slots

wico leaf joysticks

Jamma harness I'm going to try and use this one, but it isn't pretty..

Konami 3 & 4 player harness

8 leaf switch buttons, individual colors (as close as possible to TMNT factory)

interlock case

1player+2player coin reject decals

Bondo[b/] For CP holes and various cab damage

Plexi glass for monitor

Leather textured T-molding

New lighting fixture

7/8" locks

Links-
Official TMNT arcade manual: http://tinyurl.com/TMNTManual
TMNT Photobucket Album: http://tinyurl.com/TMNTphotos
Sticker sheet for coin door: http://tinyurl.com/stickersheet
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:56:44 pm by patchboston »
Own: Pac-man, TMNT, P.O.W.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
Re: Turtle power!!! A TMNT restore.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:04:09 pm »

For sale pics, prior to picking up!

The black laminate covering the original side art left funky residue on one panel!
Total pain to clean!

Art isn't in excellent shape, but its good enough to last for awhile. Overall, I think this cab has a lot of potential. I'm really excited to finally get my own TMNT!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:41:53 am by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »
I would love to see any photos of the jamma harness inside an unmolested 4player cab. I'm curious to know whether the harness I have now is from tekken, or from TMNT.

Also, does anyone have any photos of the CP inside?

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2010, 11:45:04 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:03:00 am »
Nice Score! Wouldn't mind having that one too! One of my favorites as a kid, I even bought the Nintendo version when it came out, it just wasn't quite the same! I might just have to pick up the TMNT board and and just put it in the Simpson's as I'm running out of room in my current  room for more cabs. Hey not sure if it would help or not, but I'm pretty sure that the Simpsons cab I just restored probably has the same wiring set up as your TMNT?? It is the identical cab. I would venture to bet the only thing that is different is the graphics and CPU.... I can get you as many pictures of what ever as you need.  Just PM me or let me know.....

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:56:41 am »
yeah man, that would help me out greatly! I read through your whole restore thread, very inspirational! Someday I'd love to have a Simpsons next to the TMNT!

I figured the wiring should be identical, do you mind snapping a few shots? Along with the inside of the CP? It seems like the jamma adapter I have now has break cables on everything, power supply, speakers, etc. etc.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:24 am »
Big hair, big camcorder and that suite.......can it be more 80's ?

Love it ;)

Although not "my" era, it's good to see some restorations like this and Simpsons etc. for a change....

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »
Although not "my" era, it's good to see some restorations like this and Simpsons etc. for a change....

Kinda nice to see machines that were still around when I was young in the arcade age!

I do wonder why theres no love for Sunset Riders. This is the second recent thread I've seen where someone buys a konami cab and hopes its not Sunset Riders. I guess all the love is in the licenses...
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

MaineEvent

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2015, 07:45:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:34:12 pm »
Love this cab...the only thing that urks me is the Alyssa Milano look-a-like instead of the REAL April O'Neil, Judith Hoag...or even the cartoon April...who hasn't fantasized about her???  :P
My Games:
Arkanoid

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:18:46 pm »
Not to derail this thread, but I noticed an X-men cab (which is from around the same era I guess) for sale here:

http://link.marktplaats.nl/253037497

Looks to be in very good condition. I love the X-shape cab.....taking loads of space though....

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »
didn't do too much tonight, came home around 5:30pm and was beat! I work at a nursery garden center (summer job)  and I'm always running around that place giving orders and making sure things are running smooth.

Anyhoo, Stripped off the top layer of the control panel to reveal the bare wood, and again the overlay left a decent amount of sticky goo-goo behind! Tomorrow evening, I'm taking a sander and completely stripping the paint + residue. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have some time to visit RI and buy oil-based primer and paint. It's such a shame that you can't buy this stuff in MA. Klov member, 'Phet' recently mentioned a technique for "dry rolling" on paint to get a pretty smooth and even finish. The guy knows what hes talking about when it comes to rollers and oil-based paint so I'm going to go this direction. Either way, it's all in the surface prep!

Also finished up getting laminate residue off the better of the two sides! I probably spent a good 10 minutes looking at it. Theres a ton of peeling at the bottom, but overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. Nowhere near perfect, but better than the ---smurfy--- tekken hack job that was there before.

I also spent a a few min examining the harness and it seems like the  everything is there, minus player 2's and 4's control panel harness.  One the one hand I'm glad its there, but I'm sad they didn't throw the two harness in the bottom  :badmood:

Cleaned up nicely!

lower portion has seen better days!

demo of the CP

demo close up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:42:25 am by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »
Sunset Riders is a kick-ass game, but it wasn't the sole focus of my childhood :)

Kinda nice to see machines that were still around when I was young in the arcade age!

I do wonder why theres no love for Sunset Riders. This is the second recent thread I've seen where someone buys a konami cab and hopes its not Sunset Riders. I guess all the love is in the licenses...

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2010, 11:45:04 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
Patchboston, PM me tomorrow, give me your email, I'll send them right to you, the pics will be a better resolution and I can send as many as you need.......

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 11:32:38 pm »
I decided to work on the power supply for a little bit this evening. Stripped the whole thing apart and gave it a much needed cleaning! Popped it back together and voila! Works! However, I did notice something unsettling...the monitor chassis is making a "arcing" sound. I honestly think this is unrelated to my power supply cleaning and it's the flyback ready to go. The focus seems to go out after a power down, and upon turning off the monitor the whole screen shrinks to a center dot on the screen, both tall tale signs of a failing flyback. I put my ear up to the monitor and its def. coming from either the chassis or the tube. Eventually I'll take the monitor out for a cleaning and get a closer look at the board.

back to the cleaning -
The whole power supply was filthy, so I wiped down everything and replaced the ac-line and the ac-line filter. Will stop at rat shack on friday and pick up a couple new fuse holders while I'm at it. Tomorrow evening I might try and take out the harness and wash it with some warm water. It's a little mucky from 20 years of dust and debris.

oh, I also figured out that I have three control harnesses instead of 2. What was throwing me off was the fact that they grouped number 2 and 3 in one bundle! Couldn't have done it without pics sent to me by Zork, thanks man.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:15 am »

There's a small amount of damage around the button holes, would you recommend bondo or wood filler?

Few more pics from May 27th.
I had to use a combination of intense heat and sanding to get this thing to where it is. I was a little worried about wood warping so I steered clear of goo-gone or other chemicals!

Now here's my question,
do you think it would be better to fill the CP holes with straight bondo, or should I plug in the holes and then do a light coat of bondo to even out the surface? This game is a keeper and its not going anwhere

--Dave
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:56:56 am by patchboston »

8way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2017, 05:52:21 am
  • This is my BOOM stick!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 08:50:08 pm »
Personally i would plug the holes first then bondo. Nice cab, great game brings back some good memories.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 08:15:01 am »
Instead of bondo I went with the minxwax 2-part "high performance" wood fill, a.ka. looks like bondo, smells like bondo, but it isn't bondo. Very pleased with this stuff and will probably gravitate towards it again! The best part about this stuff is the 15 minute cure time, no 2-3 min like bondo.

I also ended up skipping the plugging and did about a 3/4 fill with bondo, also fixed up chipping around the other hole

other updates:

+won and paid for a TMNT board set off ebay -68.00 inclu. shipping

+Joysticks came in from Wu! Looks brilliant! 74.00 inclu. shipping

+made a order with Bob Roberts for the following:

> 2      BLDLR Dark Lavender Snap Long - $2.00
> 2      BLLBW Light Blue E-Clip Long - $2.00
> 2      BLRW Red E-Clip Long - $2.00
> 2      "Taxi Cab Yellow Long"  - $2.00
> 8      Leaf Sw & holder only for wood CPs - $24.00
> 1      AC Interlock enclosed plastic for f-79 - $2.00
> 2      QDs .187 50 per bag (CP micros) - $10.00
> 4      Set Of 4 Leaf Switches For Joystick Import  - $16.00
> 1      Konami 3 & 4 Player Harness - $20.00
USPS Priority - $9.xx
Total - $89.00

+contacted Chad at arcadecup.com about rebuilding my chassis, sending out tomorrow. I'd take a stab and rebuild it myself, but I don't want to mess this one up! I just started doing cap kits successfully :P This will cost a hard 100.00, but its money well spent in my opinion.

Ended up risking the cap kit and installed a flyback! Success!

total costs to date:

$239.00 (including minwax filler)..yikes!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:58:12 pm by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:36:15 pm »

Nice clean power center with a vacuumed floor!

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »

Progress shots with mirwax at two different stages.
First ones are of the second application.

There was a fair amount of chipping that needed to be addressed.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 08:08:00 pm »

shot of the joysticks from Wu. Colors seem a bit off, but still look great! better than nothing :D

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
One more post this evening, then I'll go back to sanding-

did TMNT come with plexi installed? I seem to remember it being just the overlay, but I've seen a ton of photos of machines with plexi......?

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2021, 12:10:54 pm
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28:54 pm »
Mine does not have plexi
Check out my WOODY  Bubble Bobble

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »
PCB came in the mail today, along with all of the Bob Roberts stuff I ordered the other day!
didn't realize the buttons didn't come with pal nuts..doh! If anyone has 8 for sale, I'd love to buy em. I can imagine these would be cheap to ship.

I had to modify the Chinese knock-off leafs for use in the NOS joystick. For one thing, they are like 2mm off in height and needed to be sanded down along the bottom edges...also, because I don't have the white plastic switches that touch the actuator, I had to add in a thin shim (about a 1/8 of an inch thick) to firmly seat the leaf in place. Overall its going to work out okay. Not the best, but I honestly don't think I'll be able to tell. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I'm heading to the hospital right now..chest is killing me! It's not a heart problem, more of a dull respiratory pain. I actually had to leave work early because the simplest task was making me sweat. I haven't been using a respirator when sanding the mirwax, but I have been wearing a 3m face mask rated to stop TB. If fact, this pain started to occur even before :P

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 01:29:11 pm »
some epic sanding going in preparation for 2-part wood filler.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:32:10 pm by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
Something about the intro just gives me goosebumps! (total nerd moment)

The top is effed, lol.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:35:20 pm by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:28 pm »

A single layer of bondo on the molested joystick hole :-0

starting to sand the inside control panel box

Midway81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2011, 05:12:22 pm
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »
I just picked up this x-men cab a couple weeks ago. Looks like the same exact cabinet as yours, maybe i can get the tmnt pcb someday and put it in. Did you ask about some wiring pics or something, i can take some pics of the inside if that would help you out. Let me know... and nice cab....

hatrick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 12:47:54 pm »
I just picked up this x-men cab a couple weeks ago. Looks like the same exact cabinet as yours, maybe i can get the tmnt pcb someday and put it in. Did you ask about some wiring pics or something, i can take some pics of the inside if that would help you out. Let me know... and nice cab....

I think the Xmen cab has two speaker holes and the TMNT cab only has one in the middle. Otherwise I think they are the same. I have a TMNT cab that was converted to an Xmen. In fact, I have the original joysticks and the harness for the extra buttons. Too bad I hadn't seen this thread before you bought the repro stuff!

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 03:04:25 am »
It's cool, I'm pretty happy with my new harnesses and joysticks. I like the fact that I'm the first one to use em!

Just got done capping the WG k7000 monitor in the TMNT, went smoothly as expected. I was hoping the cap kit would fix some of the warping up top, but overall I think it's a flyback or 5v settings issue. I checked the power supply and its outputting something like 5.08-5.09, good enough :)

I also applied the CPO to the control panel, looks slick. I promised a byoac'er I'd scan it and I plan on keeping true to my promise. It's not going to be for awhile, but once school starts in the fall I should be able to bring in the control panel and scan it on the nice epson scanner in one of the labs.

pictures to come later in the afternoon....sleep for now.

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:22:21 pm »
Did you put a new jamma harness in it or did you find a repro TMNT harness? I would like to replace my wiring but wondered if you could use a new style jamma harness to replace the old one.
Thanks

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 02:53:06 pm »
you sure can use a new jamma harness. I believe the pinout differs from the jamma standard, but all you have to do is group the wires by the TMNT standard.
I hooked up a jamma board and it came up without a problem!

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 02:57:17 pm »

thought you guys would enjoy these.  I installed a new flyback into the cab and thought it was "time" to take a progress pic :)
Theres new plexi installed too...kinda wish I went with glass, but it still looks pretty good. Next up, it's either back to the control panel, or I'm going to rip apart the coin doors and clean those up! They are in relatively sound condition, so I see no reason to repaint em. I'm going to spray them down in 409 and clean them up, and that's that.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »
heres a video of a image problem I'm having after powering down...
<object width="425" height="344"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_em4SU33pdQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param></object>
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:37:50 pm by patchboston »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »
That's normal.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 04:08:27 pm »
even when it's that large?

If you look closely it starts out small, gets bigger then immediately shrinks back down.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 07:23:33 pm »
Yep, AFAIK it's the caps discharging.

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »
Thanks.
This thing is looking nice. Great Job.

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 08:25:48 pm »

Spent the past couple of hours ripping apart the first coin door+acceptors..completely scrubbed the hell out of everything!
You can't really tell from the photos, but this machine spent it's previous life in someone's wood shop, and the coin doors were completely covered in saw dust. Now one is nice and clean :) I still need to dismantle and clean the bottom half, outer frame, and the other complete coin door.

I also need to buy a replacement coin reject button for player one.

before

after!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:41:18 pm by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 07:23:49 am »
Can a TMNT owner do me a quick favor? I'm trying to determine whether or not my coin door 1 + coin door 2 wiring is original. I suspect it isn't because of the color coding, but who knows...
can someone shoot a couple photos and let me know whats included inside the 2 bundles?

it's been a puzzle trying to piece together whats what, but I'm ALMOST there! :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:38:32 am by patchboston »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:28 pm »
holy toledo!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180368509838

Thats a ton of cash if you ask me, especially for a board not showing a working screen shot :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:05:06 pm by patchboston »

Honzo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2015, 06:06:04 pm
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 06:26:25 pm »
Your cabinet looks absolutely beautiful!  :applaud:  As for that screen issue, since mine is the same with original wg 7000 monitor, i can assure you its completely normal as mine does it too.  Hopefully I'll post some updates to my thread tonight and i'll try to add a video as well.  Mine's a little different, but same idea...
MK2/TMNT Cab - Mame Conversion in progress