Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Should I MAME This To Play Punch Out / Super Punch Out / Arm Wrestling & PC10 Titles Only?

Yes
3 (60%)
No
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Project: Punch Out  (Read 6862 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Project: Punch Out
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:29 am »
I'm getting a Punch Out cab that has been converted to a Relief Pitcher today.  The plans are to restore this bad boy back to a Punch Out or Super Punch out.  It has two working monitors... I'll likely need: Harness, PCB, control panel, and art work at bare minimum.

Anyone have a source for any of these parts.  Also,  which is a better game in your opinion?  Punch Out or Super Punch Out?  I'd LOVE to do a Multi Punch Out... guessing that would require both boardsets anyway.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Re: Project: Punch Out
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:46:50 am »
Super Punch-Out is more fun IMO, but more difficult. SPO is faster paced (going back to PO feels like you are fighting in slow-motion); saves the top KO times for each opponent along with a hit percentage ranking list; has more interesting (and dangerous) opponents; and adds the "duck" feature. They are both great games though; you can't go wrong with either one.

My machine is in SPO guise, and I also have a PO board that I can easily swap into it. I don't know anything about having them both hooked up in order to be instantly switchable (there have been various threads here and there about doing such a thing though). 2600 was working on a Double Punch-Out boardset, but I don't know the status of that.

I'll likely need: Harness, PCB, control panel, and art work at bare minimum.

There is a good chance that you'll need a power supply too. Relief Pitcher is obviously running off an ordinary JAMMA-type switcher (which can be used with Punch-Out if you do some custom wiring); and the original PO power supply probably isn't in there. If you are lucky, at least the PCB cage will still be in there. It wasn't with my PO machine which had also been JAMMA-tized; I had to find one on eBay; but fortunately I found it included in box of PO parts including the power supply, complete PO wiring harness, and a few other things, so getting all that stuff at once saved on shipping costs.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:14 am »
Does regular Punch Out / SPO save high scores by chance?   

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:23 am »
Does regular Punch Out / SPO save high scores by chance?   

Yeah, as long as you have batteries installed (3 ordinary AA batteries). PO saves all 50 scores permanently while SPO only saves the top 20 scores permanently (the remaining 30 scores reset to default when the machine is power cycled). In addition to scores, SPO also saves the top 3 KO times for each opponent, and the top 5 hit percentages. I maxed out the top 5 hit percentages all at 100% on my machine so that particular list became irrelevant.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »
Welp... the cabinet hath arrived.  I gave the guy an extra $20 for delivery as my arcade hauler is down (power steering leaking)...

Overall it's in pretty good shape.  The paint is decent even.  It will need new T-Molding.  The monitors are bright and clear with a bit of burn-in up top (but not terrible) and very minor burn down bottom.  These are updated 20EZ's evidently as they have a nifty degauss button on them and everything.   They both still had the friggin' FUSE PACKS the monitor originally came with taped to them! 

The inside was clean and it was obviously converted cleanly...unfortunately that means no cage... no Punchout power supply... etc.

The Bottom of the Ninth works fine... and it even came with a couple Wico leaf-switch sticks (one blue one red).  I'd never played before but the game is pretty fun.  There's absolutely no reason to have both monitors playing it though....oh well.

...that show was pre-clean up and adjustment as well.  Oh...I also have the marquee,  plexi for the marquee and the bracket (no screws).

Moo2wo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2013, 07:36:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:48:23 pm »
I think 2600 made a Dual Punch-Out!! Kit a while ago.  You might want to ask him about that.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »
Jeepers Frizzle, how many projects you got going on  ;D  Wish I had your energy!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:21:59 am »
Welp... the cabinet hath arrived.  I gave the guy an extra $20 for delivery as my arcade hauler is down (power steering leaking)...

Overall it's in pretty good shape.  The paint is decent even.  It will need new T-Molding.  The monitors are bright and clear with a bit of burn-in up top (but not terrible) and very minor burn down bottom.  These are updated 20EZ's evidently as they have a nifty degauss button on them and everything.   They both still had the friggin' FUSE PACKS the monitor originally came with taped to them!

Those are Sanyo 20-Z2AW monitors. I have the same ones in my machine. They take the same cap kits as the 20-EZV monitors, and as Chad Entringer on KLOV confirmed recently, the same flybacks as well (despite the different part numbers). That's a good thing, given that you can buy new reproduction flybacks for the 20-EZV (part number F5024) but it was believed that the 20-Z2AW's flyback (part number F5039) was not compatible.

That burn pattern is typical of a Punch-Out (mine is the same). The top screen gets more burn because it is mostly a static image during gameplay and attract mode. The bottom monitor generally only gets burn from the ropes of the boxing ring.

It looks like you've got an odd issue going on with the front panel (the panel that has the speaker slots). On the right side it is not meeting up properly with the bottom forward edge of the control panel. What is causing that? Is something loose?

In any event, it is good to see another PO machine on its way to salvation.

I think 2600 made a Dual Punch-Out!! Kit a while ago.  You might want to ask him about that.

As far as I know, that is yet to be finished and/or released.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:27:09 am by MaximRecoil »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:05 am »
The panel is just sitting in there... it wasn't/isn't clamped down.   Nice to know about the monitors though.  Thanks!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 12:58:15 pm »
Well... it looks like I am going dedicated.   It just felt...wrong... to MAME this.   I have now sourced everything I need save for the PCB and I've got a couple lines on Punch Outs.  I'd LOVE to locate a Super Punch Out PCB though...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
I'll come back and describe some of the hell I went through restoring this bad boy... I came within an inch of destroying one of the monitors... I cut my arm up... My hands have at least a half dozen scrapes... etc.  Fun stuff indeed.  Until then,  take a gander at the before and after pix...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

TO DO: Paint the base and add feet.  I will likely also repaint the bottom coin door as there is a bit of rust on it.  The top coin door looks pretty darned good... good enough not to mess with frankly.  I also would like to acquire a Super Punch Out boardset OR perhaps the Multi-Punch-Out kit will be available by then (we can always hope, eh?)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:58 pm »

Hey, shouldnt that steering wheel mount be pink?
 :D
NO MORE!!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »
I painted that bay boy red as well as the foot pedal.  Looks much nicer,  eh?

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »
I painted that bay boy red as well as the foot pedal.  Looks much nicer,  eh?

Wow man, great job restoring that. Sorry to hear that those monitors tore you up a bit, you should'a laid that monster face down before trying to install the top monitor.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:47 pm »
Wow man, great job restoring that. Sorry to hear that those monitors tore you up a bit, you should'a laid that monster face down before trying to install the top monitor.

Face down?  They install from the front.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »

Face down?  They install from the front.

Whoa, no way. Nevermind then.  :dunno

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 12:55:14 am »
Actually,  installing the side art requires the bolts on one side to be removed at a time... then install the side art... then re-install that side and take out the other side...  OR one could remove both monitors all together.   I'd used this method to install side art on a DK cab and a Nintendo VS cab.  I got cut up because taking the side bolts off the left side of the cab (facing from the front) is a major ---smurfette--- when you have large arms because that is the "bottom" of the Sanyo monitors and there isn't much room in there to maneuver let alone press the bolts that have been there for 25+ years out.  There is no major damage,  but I did end up with exactly 21 small nicks between both hands and arms.

Also,  I played the lotto and won... by that,  I mean that I chose to take off the easier (right) side first.   The top monitor you can leave the top most bolt in,  so it's no big deal,  but the bottom monitor requires you to remove all the bolts from the side.  What typically happens is the monitor drops back a little and the other sides mount holds things together.  Well,  as I removed the last bolt,  not only did the monitor drop a little further than expected,   the bracket on the side I was removing just dropped to the bottom of the cab!!   The dumbass who mounted the monitors last had screwed in the screws that were supposed to hold the monitor on the bracket WITHOUT THE LARGER WASHER ... the problem is the screw heads are smaller than the damn holes in the bracket!   Upon further inspection,  the other side was the same EXCEPT FOR ONE... that ONE bolt was holding the monitor in place!!  Had I decided to take off the OTHER side first,  when I pulled that last bolt out,  the whole freakin' monitor would have dropped out of the cab thereby ruining my day bigtime.   I lucked out and learned a lesson.  CHECK THE FREAKIN BOLTS ALWAYS... never take for granted that the guy prior to you had a clue.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 08:57:26 am »
I had a heck of a time getting the bolts out on mine.  They were really in there tight and required some effort to remove.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 02:35:00 pm »
I had a heck of a time getting the bolts out on mine.  They were really in there tight and required some effort to remove.

Was it because of the Nintendo green Loctite-type stuff on the threads? That stuff is miserable. However, I had some Goof-Off Graffiti Remover onhand, and as it turns out, one spray of that stuff melts the green stuff right away, and the nut unthreads from the bolt with ease.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 03:12:38 pm »

Was it because of the Nintendo green Loctite-type stuff on the threads? That stuff is miserable. However, I had some Goof-Off Graffiti Remover onhand, and as it turns out, one spray of that stuff melts the green stuff right away, and the nut unthreads from the bolt with ease.

Taking the nuts off was only a tiny bit of the problem.  Pushing the bolts through the cab was the ---smurfette--- with no leverage.   YES,  taking the monitors out would have been easier.   :angry:   ;)