Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Review: Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER GBS-8220  (Read 22419 times)

supadave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 09:10:08 pm
Item Review: Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER GBS-8220(NEW)
Play your arcade boards on a standard computer vga monitor

Item Link: http://www.arcademvs.com/rgbstovga.htm
Main Site Link: http://www.arcademvs.com/
Their Ebay Store Link:http://stores.ebay.com/Y-PLUS

Description:
The high definition converter GBS-8220 it’s professional of game convert. Support all games(Amusement、Playstation、Xbox、wii……)convert to CRT monitor 、LCD monitor 、PDP monitor…… Auto scan CGA/EGA/YUV signal, Two VGA outputs , output high resolution signal.

*Supports CGA/EGA/YUV signal input

*Supports VGA output 640*480,800*600,1024*768,1360*768

*CGA/EGA signal auto scan(15K,24K,31K)

*YUV signal auto scan(480i,576i,720i,1080i,480p,576p,720p,1080p)

*Chinese and English OSD

*Supports position control & zoom control

*True digital 24-bit A/D converter for true 16.7-million color conversion

*Supports all VGA monitor (CRT、LCD、PDP、PROJECT……)

(Item Description taken directly from their ebay ad. Broken english and all)

My Score: 4 out of 5

Value: 5
Item was actually purchased from their ebay store for $39.00 and $12.00 shipping for a total of $51.00 USD. For the features it promissed this is a pretty good deal.

Packaging: 3
I know that it's not the reason you purchase one of these but it does say a little about how a company works. As you can see in the images below the packaging isn't very durable. They did at least make an attempt to mark it Fragile. It also took about 3 weeks to reach me after purchase in the central USA area.

Contents: 4
You get all the cables you need and a nice little board with holes for mounting feet. (nice forward thinking) NO feet included. I added those you see in the pics. The cables have the connectors needed for each of it's available connection types. Now the negatives. The manual is ugly. 4 poorly printed pages. Some are blurry and hard to read. Not a huge deal but you should at least make the prints clean and clear.

Installation: 5
What a simple breeze this turned out to be. Depending on your game pcb board type, use one of the 3 available inputs and let the auto detect do the rest. Once I hooked it up and turned it on all I had to do next was configure it.

Configuration: 4
I would of given it a 5 if the menu was defaulted in English. Instead it comes up in Chinese and I had to fumble through to the last menu to find the language select. At least there is an english option. Without that I was just fumbling around. However, once in English the menu was very simple. Lots of sensible options that got me everything I needed and easy to navigate. I was able to get my brightness, holds etc exactly where I needed it. As well as the resolution size which is kinda odd. 1360 x 768? I'm sure there is a reason.. There are 3 pots as well that control the color settings. Nice..

Usage: 5
The first time I powered off the machine I was worried. When I powered it back on it didn't appear as if it saved my resolution settings. I was concerned that all my other settings were not saved either. After checking it did save my configuration settings but not my resolution setting. I set the resolution setting again and powered it off again. This time when it came on it did infact save all my settings including resolution. I tested the power off and on many times to be sure. Every time it came up it was all there and saved.

Conclusion:
My Score 4 out of 5
I'm very satisfied with the results this board has provided. I found very little information on this item when I did my initial searches. Therefore I'm hoping my review will help anyone out who may be in the market for a converter such as this one.

Thank you and happy gaming

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:01:34 pm by supadave »

supadave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 09:10:08 pm
Re: Review: Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:52:34 am »
More Images.. (Game is blurry in photos due to motion and crappy camera)

srarcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2018, 03:16:29 pm
Re: Review: Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER GBS-8220
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »
Great write up. I got one of these and totally love it, can't beat the value! Had results mixing pcb to pcb but for consoles it worked like a charm. I will be buying more.

arkake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2009, 05:32:34 am
Re: Review: Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER GBS-8220
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:57:25 am »
Hello guys.
I have buy  this converter not for Arades boards ,but for my home micros Amiga,Atari,Spectrum ect..
i have  try many times to connect via RGB ,RGBHV ,but i take  black screen.

I have made all possible setting but no result .

any guy try connect this converter to Amiga ,or any other machine?