Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Off Road restoration  (Read 42297 times)

derrickstevenson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2013, 04:00:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Super Off Road restoration
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »
I apologize if I've missed it but I'm kindain a jam.. my little sister just closed her restaurant and we removed a ms. Pacman a judgeDred pinball..  and I'm working on my off road.. only prob is my bratty sister has lost the keys and I can't get it out the door without removing the wheels..can somebody point me in the right direction.. it's in a nut do great part of town and the sober the better... thanks

psogaard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2013, 08:15:44 am
  • Long time fan, now arcade hobbyist
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »
Hi Tarman - Any chance of getting copies of the CPO art and Side Art.  I am going to try printing my own just for grins.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this - it inspired me to buy and fix-up my own Super Off Road.
Got the game working great, now just need to get it looking sharp.
Thanks again for all the information and inspiration!

CPO is DONE!

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2016, 01:20:04 pm »
I recently picked up a Super Off Road and have started working on it to get it to run properly.

One of the wheels has an encoder disk that has some broken parts.  Is there a source to buy replacement parts for these wheels?  If not, what is the best route, weld on new metal fingers?

Also, one wheel only turns one direction, is that a problem with the interface board, or something else?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:21:56 pm by bratwurst »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »
One of the wheels has an encoder disk that has some broken parts.  Is there a source to buy replacement parts for these wheels?
Not sure, but I think this might be what you're looking for.   :dunno

http://arcadefixit.com/product.sc?productId=108

The site is run by KLOV's Mylstar. (Stephen Beall)

Also, one wheel only turns one direction, is that a problem with the interface board, or something else?
It could be mechanical misalignment (based on the broken teeth) but it is almost certainly not an electronic problem in the encoder board.

If it is an electronic problem, it would be on the game PCB since both data lines have to be working to register a turn of more than one step.

No quadrature waveform transitions = no turn.

Only one data line working = wobble back and forth one step.

Scott

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »
Hey Bratwurst, 

How about starting a new restoration thread all to yourself? I hope to pick one of these up some day and I would love to watch along with this restore.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2016, 05:13:30 pm »
Probably not enough to do that isn't any different or even better than what is already in this thread. I have replaced the plexi on the front that was damaged, replaced the power cord, and scrubbed a lot of the dirt and grime off the machine.

Mine will entail:

• I will clean up and try to get the wheels working as nicely as possible.
  • The metal for the middle player wheel is really bent up on mine, so I am trying to straighten it out as best I can.
  • One of the buttons is broken, so I will be replacing it.  Because the others look to have lost some of their color I might just replace them all.
  • The admin button is missing too - just a hanging leaf switch that doesn't work and no button.  So that needs to be replaced.
  • All the T-Molding is in need of replacement. I was thinking of using something other than black but I think that will show some of the spots that the cabinet has swollen wood.
  • Top of the CPO needs new artwork.  Probably not in the budget just yet.  If and when I do replace that, I might just replace that entire piece of wood too.
  • The pedal covers are missing - not sure where to source them.
  • Bottom right side of the cabinet the wood and laminate are in very bad shape.

dynamiteseed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2017, 07:50:58 am
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2017, 09:07:20 am »
Hey Paul your game looks better and may actually WORK, but I'd like to bet your pedal panel doesn't look THIS GOOD!  :)
Let me know if you need me to explain any of the dimentions to you....

Hey ZORK2, could you please message me about your pedal panel?

Klaatu42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 10:29:43 pm »
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but as this thread is one of the few results in Google for this topic, and everything in it is still valid, I thought it would be ok and helpful for people searching for this information.

I just posted a 3D printable model of that steering encoder wheel to Thingiverse (link below). If anyone needs replacement encoder wheels, grab the file and print or have a friend w/ a 3D printer some off for you. I printed my first test in black ABS and was shocked that it worked right away without having to tweak anything.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2760779