Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Jukebox Build for my Parents! *** Pics Fixed 3-4-2011***  (Read 18969 times)

Fordman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 11:20:27 am
  • MADE in the USA
**** Sorry for the pics being down.  :censored: They are fixed now! ****

Hello All,

Here is my latest creation. I built this for my parents. This is made from 100% scrap wood that I was going to chuck into the garbage dumpster.

This was built in my messy-ass garage.

A little info about them: My step-dad is stuck somehwere in 1967. He is considered a 'Professional Musician' but he doesnt make a whole lotta $$$! He is a blues, some country and Rolling Stones man. My mom, she's up to date, but kinda prewdish. Whatever she says, goes! If she doesnt like it, she will tell you to get rid of it. If you dont get rid of it, she will, without questions later!

OK, I got the idea for the shape of the build looking at my MAME cab control panel. (The MAME cab isnt done and I dont have a build thread)

Look at the shape of it, It's actually the size of the control panel from Lusid's design.

The top and bottom panels are identical. I took a top and bottom, made a front, sides and angled sides. All are 3/4" MDF. The cuts for the angles are really ugly, but my parents wouldnt be able to tell. I filled in the cracks with wood filler. Then sanded and painted. Actually, it looks really good.

I used my router to cut some slots so the bass from the sub woofer can get out. When I hold my hand up to the slots, you can feel the air being pushed out!

You can see that I did put some lights in it. I saw a video on youtube from a frequest user on BYOAC (McCoy178) and he bought some LED lights from Spencer's. I went to the mall and Spencer's happened to have 2 of them. They came home with me.

The Kaleidoscope Light Tubes. $25.00(US) each.

A top view

We had to shove this thing in a room that is 8' X 8' and is already crammed with crap, I mean music memorobilia from days gone by!  :laugh2:

I put a Neutrik USB port on the side to add music.

I put a couple buttons on the front to turn the lights on & off and to change the light mode.

You can see the Speakers and the otherside of the USB port.

From the front, you see I used some left over decorative sheet metal from my personal build. I basically used the same design here to hide the speakers and for the Griffin Powermate as a volume knob.

Here it is using E-Touch V5.

E-Touch is so easy, even a hippy can use it!  :laugh2:

Here it is useing GeForce Visulizations.

Here it is in the dark with nothing but the blue lights on. My step-dad called it Blue-Ice!

Here are the lights in action.

Total cost of the build: (all prices are final cost after shipping)

1    ELO 15" Touchscreen Serial port      $103
1   USB to Serial converter         $7.00
2    LED Kaleidoscope Lights         $50.00
1   lighted buton            $3.50
1   Griffin Powermate (eBay)      $23.00
1   Cyber Accoustic Platinum series Speakers $23.00 (sale)
1   ceiling light panel (lowes)      $1.00
1    Dell Optiplex GX240 (craigslist)   $65.00
1   20' T-molding t-molding.com      $21.00
Total: $296.50

Stuff that I already had:

all the wood
L-brackets
Shelf brackets for subwoofer stand
wirirng.
wiring crimp connectors
screw strip
decorative mesh metal
wood filler
screws

total value at about $100.00 for stuff I already had.

Total Time: About 20 hours. 2-3 hours a night for about 6 nights.

I have already had some neighbors ask me to build them one. After I told them $600.00 and I'll give them the first 500 songs, everyone of them balked and said it was way too much. One actually offered me $100.00 for this one and said he could make one twice as better for about $50.00. I said "Challenge Accepted!" He just wants this one cheap so he can copy it.

My step dad loves it. My Mom, she could take-it or leave-it! When she gets tied of it, she'll tell me to come and get it. I have added about 3000 songs to jukebox so far. He has a bunch of stuff he wants on it, but its all on vinyle or cassette. I told him we'll just have to search for the CD and rip the tunes he wants from there. There aint no way I can show him how to record from vinyle or cassette to PC and save in MP3 format! Way beyond his comprehension!

Well, thanks for the time. I'll answer any questions and get better pics when the better camera gets back home.

Fordman
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:45:17 am by Fordman »

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New Jukebox Build for my Parents!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:05:14 am »
Maybe it's just me but I can't see the pictures?

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • MADE in the USA
Re: New Jukebox Build for my Parents!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:11:13 am »
Pics now fixed. Sorry for the error!

:cheers:

Fordman
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:13:00 am by Fordman »

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: New Jukebox Build for my Parents! *** Pics Fixed 5-9-2009***
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »
I like your design.  I would have probably used grill cloth for the subwoofer instead of slots.  I'd also probably incorporate a real color organ circuit into the lighting (highs one color, midrange another, lows another). 

I especially like the top of the cabinet.  Those flat areas are just right for resting a cocktail, and I like the angled display and how you've placed the Griffin Powermate.

I'm more than a little uncomfortable with the concept of 'giving' someone music.  That's all I'll say about that.

Brian

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:56:22 pm »
Thanks for good words! This was just scrap wood and the lights were just too easy to pass up. 20 hour build with not too many issues along the way.  ;D

I'm more than a little uncomfortable with the concept of 'giving' someone music.  That's all I'll say about that.

As for 'Giving Away' the music, Here in the U.S.A., you cant really say 'Selling the Music' without someone calling the copyright police on you. The only way to sell it is if you are selling an authorized copy or you have the rights to what you are selling. People are getting popped here in the U.S.A. for just downloading 1 song, so 'Give It Away' seems to be legal, since 'No Cash' wash exchanged for the merchandise! Some are being paid to turn in downloaders and other are being given free services for turning in downloaders. Also, some are being popped for 'ripping' the original cd although your allowed to make copies of your own personal archive.  I have 3 neighbors that work for Time-Warner, although it is the cable tv part, but they all tell me that TW issues work bulletins to turn in music downloaders. They can get $10,000 reward for the info to bust you!  :angry:

Fordman

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:14 pm »
Good job! I like this juke.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:18 pm »
That is slick. Me, I'm more a finished wood kinda guy, but I love the details on this. And those kaleidoscope lights! Very cool. I could easily see those in a project eventually...

:applaud:

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • MADE in the USA
Re: New Jukebox Build for my Parents! *** Pics Fixed 3-4-2011***
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:52 am »
I have fixed the pics for this thread. I changed domains and Im just getting around to getting all the new pic domain links fixed!

Fordman

roypattonphoto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
  • Hurry Give Me A Quarter!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:02:19 am »
how are u keeping this cool inside the box? ... im guess the open end is pushed against the wall, leaving very few openings, and dont see no wholes or grilles, i would suggest adding atleast 2 120mm for directional air flow to keep temps down and pro long life of cpu (as i can tell right now your prob just circulating hot air of the machine and electronics in the cab through the pc with standard pc fans..)

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
It is close to a wall. About 2 inches or so from the wall. It doesnt seem to be warm. Alot of room inside the jukebox cabinet for airflow.

Fordman

roypattonphoto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
  • Hurry Give Me A Quarter!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:13 am »
heres an idea, cuz even though it doesnt seem to run warm , you never know just how hot the cores go...

this is a free windows Core Temp reading utility that uses the Digital Thermal Sensor Technology in the cores.....

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

you can also get a windows gadget

Core Temp Gadget and  CoreTempMC ( CTMC if you use Windows Media) ... will give you an idea of the actual temps... you should hovering around 35-38* at idle and under load around 42* .. anything higher at a sustained time can shorten the life of your cpu/mobo ...

just trying to look out, cuz i know nothing more hurtful then killing a cpu/mobo due to heat over a year or so of continued usage .. too me once to realise just how much a little heat can hurt lol...

Jukecade

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2017, 04:39:18 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »
Hi

I've been thinking about using the Kaleidoscope Light Tubes for a DDR project I want to start but can you tell me if these have any controls on them. For example can you make them sound-to-light or are there just set patterns?

Thanks
Jukecade - The Jukebox for your MAME Cabinet

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:56 am »
Hi

I've been thinking about using the Kaleidoscope Light Tubes for a DDR project I want to start but can you tell me if these have any controls on them. For example can you make them sound-to-light or are there just set patterns?

Thanks

Those lights were purchased from Spencer's Gifts, usually in most major malls in the U.S.A. They were $25 (US) each. Set patterns only. You can keep them solid colors or different changing patterns by a touch of a button on the side of the tube.

Fordman

Binkles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2017, 10:41:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New Jukebox Build for my Parents! *** Pics Fixed 3-4-2011***
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 04:27:49 am »
That's pretty cool, and could be modified for buttons....