Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vector games and MAME.  (Read 29166 times)

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
Re: Vector games and MAME.
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 10:10:15 am »
Perhaps installing the "shader code" into a full blown version of mame is the best idea. I say this after I have done extensive testing attempting to use spinner controls in AAE with various games without success. Mouse controls WILL WORK in AAE but they DO NOT WORK WELL. I was at the point where I was about to install a spinner in my AAE rig and decided to do some tests. Spinner sensitivity is just not there and there's an anemic control panel for mouse controls. I was planning on building a dedicated MH AAE rig and when I tested a real Tempest spinner on a trackball adaptor, it was terrible, just completely unacceptable for really playing the game, same goes for Tempest and Vector Breakout, just not acceptable for really playing these games. I really tried but it will not work and I do not want to play with Windows system settings to increase mouse senitivity since the mouse cursor was moving very fast on my desktop without any adjustments.
Just so peeps know, I can use this same spinner setup to control MH and Tempest on Macmame PERFECTLY and I mean PERFECT, so this issue has nothing to do with the spinner (mouse) control that I have chosen to use with AAE.
Right now for me, AAE is a pushbutton emulator only until mouse issues have been addresed.

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:33 am »
Something that I realized after my test is the fact that a real Tempest spinner has many more optical "teeth" than a standard trackball optical encoder disc. This means that the mouse senitivity needs to be bumped up to get a similar feeling with the spinner. So I know that whatever was being controlled in AAE was slower than if I tested with a stardard trackball optic wheel but still, it was unplayable in Tempest or Major Havoc and those two games probably look the best on AAE. Keep hope alive!

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:27 pm »

-contrast 2 -gamma 2 -beam 2

I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering what version of MAME were you running at the time you took these pictures.

I'm curious if your settings are still the best for modern versions of MAME (I'm using GroovyMAME 0.142).

I don't have access to my arcade cab at the moment or I'd try them out.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:03 am »
My ZVG card is supposed to arrive tommorow! This changes everything...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 09:21:47 am »
I have the zvg working with the windows beta setup! Clunky for now but I can play many games just fine. The brightness of the zvg is adjustable, so I can actually make the games brighter than "normal", I can see a difference right through the original Atari tinted glass. I have lots of "flickering" in various places in various games but I'm looking at a WG6100 and not a VGA CRT here. Irony is that this is the same rig I ran AAE, all the stuff is still there. I probably posted the specs months ago for AAE.
Main thing with the Windows beta is that none of the Sega games,Tomcat and Topgunner will not show on the game list/play, the vector menu isn't there and I am a complete noob with command line mame setups, so I can't even figure out how to rotate the vertical games yet and not certain the support has been built in yet. That's all "SteveJ"'s hard work, he is the genius here, I'm just an enduser and hopeful beta tester. My camera is busted but I'll take a few camera phone pics later.
And for the "purist" out there, Gravitar is still not quite perfect, even displayed on the same WG6100 in the Gravitar cabinet I have put this project into and never will be in any form of emulation when compared to running the real board, it just ain't the same. Space Duel, however is perfect and I just discovered the dip setting for 1 player only. More to come...

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 09:59:18 am »
My regular camera is busted and I've been too cheap to replace it. I used a camera phone to take a few shots of the WG6100 displaying a few games output from the ZVG in Windows, yes...Windows not dos. The photos do not do it any justice at all. I have also included a few shots of my "real" Asteroids Deluxe. Note that the real AD has the aqua monitor gel and the photos of the WG6100 are taken through the original Atari tined glass in my Gravitar cabinet, so the vectors are BRIGHT, real BRIGHT. I do have issues with "flickering" and you will see in Major Havoc how this displays in a slow shutter speed pic. Anyways, I can relate to just looking at a few images, even if you don't have the desire, money or capacity to get a ZVG working

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »
I can't tell it's a vector monitor. Eager to see shots from your camera, highest resolution possible, I hope.
-Banned-

Djmadmic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2021, 12:24:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 08:07:12 am »
I know this post is pretty old but I Was wondering about the Turbo-Twist high low spinner.  Is it difficult to install on a wood panel and are you able to use the push/pull feature as a button for firing? Really looking to add a spinner to my Xarcade Tank Stick and would love the ability to use it as fire button too. Eventually plan on making a new panel but looking to get by with this for now. Oh and your cabinet looks great.
Thanks