Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim Arcade completed: Terminus  (Read 47896 times)

markc74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Slim Arcade completed: Terminus
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:42 am »
Hi all. After about 6 months of redesigns, rebuilds, blood and sweat I’ve finally finished my arcade cabinet.

It’s a slimline upright cabinet with a 28” widescreen LCD monitor, a 2 player street fighter 2 layout, Turbotwist 2 spinner and U-Track trackball thrown in for good measure.

It’s named Terminus for a couple of reasons: it literally means ‘end point’ which seems fitting; it’s the title of a great old techno tune by Syzygy and I think it sounds quite cool too.

Anyway - here’s some pretty grainy camera pics but I’ll try and post some better ones at the weekend when I get some time.

I’ve got all the plans/artwork if anyone is interested and if you have any questions at all then please ask away!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: Slim Arcade completed: Terminus
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:40:05 am »
Very clean and sleek, I love the lines  :cheers:

cluck024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2013, 02:59:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:15:37 am »
Man that is slick. We gonna get any build pics??? Beautiful Work :notworthy:

--cluck

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:36 am »
Now that's a cab I really like. I love the shape and the colours... Can we have some more info please? Build pics, specs etc?
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:51:25 am »
Thanks for the responses.  Here's a couple of build pics (again - apologies for the rubbish quality, I'll got some better ones for the weekend)

I'm using a minipac to drive the joysticks, buttons and U-trak (all from Ultimarc) and the turbotwist (Groovy Game Gear) has its own encoder - all plugged into USB

The PC is an Athlon 64 3.2Ghz with 2gb ram, a 200GB hard disk and a Geforce 5 graphics card.

The T-moulding is orange 3/4" from t-molding.com and finally, the over/under coin door came from Gremlin Solutions.

I'm trying not to think too much about how much it all cost :-)

The marquee I designed in photoshop using Arcade-Art to get the Space Invader side-art monster (thanks to Zorg et al for creating the excellent illustrator file). It was very kindly printed by a guy at my work.

I designed the whole cabinet from scratch in a 3D program called AC3D at the start of the project and that really helped me work out all the niggly little bits (like monitor mounting etc) in advance so when it came to the build I didnt have to make too many adjustments.

The frontend is Mamewah, which is fantastic for this, and the usual other emulators - MAME, Nebula, Fusion (genesis) and zsnes - I've still got to setup the PSX, N64 emulators and set up some good cab friendly PC games on there like Trackmania, Geometry wars etc.

If you have any specific questions pls post!

brock.sampson

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2018, 10:11:41 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:29:24 am »
That is beautiful.  Any chance you could post the plans?
DOC! YOU HAVE A TABLE OVER THERE WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS, "LASER DEATH RAY BARGAIN BIN!"

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:52:19 am »
Wow. Thats a really sweet cab. Not too big...not too small. Very sleak and clean.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:17:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:37 am »
I've got to agree... the lines on that thing are gorgeous.  Very nice looking build!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:12:35 am »
Totally sweet dude.  I love it.   :afro:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:04 am »
Thanks for positive comments. I'm glad people like the curves as I spent quite a long time getting them 'right' (and even more time sanding them smooth after!)

Here's a link to the 3d plans (in .x3d format) --> http://www.questionbar.co.uk/files/Terminus.x3d (updated link)

I probably wont be able to host them there for long so I'll find a better place to host them

That should import into your 3D app of choice or you can use Octaga Player to view it as well. (http://www.octaga.com/download_octaga.html)

Here's a couple of pics of the plans but I'm happy to do something more detailed if people want me to.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:08:03 pm by markc74 »

boomstick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 04:35:07 pm
    • James Clay Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 02:54:52 pm »
Simpley Stunning!!  :applaud:

I remember a while back seeing your Wall Hanger thread and being really impressed with the work on the former incarnation of Terminus.  I was eagerly waiting to see how the re-design would turn out.  I thought the 3D mockup you posted showed some real potential.

I must say you have not dissapointed.

Fantastic Work  :cheers:

OTTOgd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2019, 10:45:16 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:15:53 pm »
What model did you choose for the 28" lcd and how do you like it for vertical games?

I'm thinking about building 2 slim cabs with dedicated horizontal and vertical lcds but the cost and build time will obviously be more. Curious if you're happy with it at that size.

Great looking slim cab!

Btw, the plans seemed to be password protected.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »
Damn! another nicer looking cab than mine:(

Nice work!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:39 pm »
OTTOgd  - Whoops - forgot the link might have been protected!  I've updated it above but here it is again: http://www.questionbar.co.uk/files/Terminus.x3d - this one should work ok now!

The LCD is a 28" Hanns-G HG281DP Widescreen Monitor.  The screen measures about 60cm wide and 37cm high which means vertical games look about the same as they would on a 19" vertical screen.

Even horizontal 4:3 games fill about a 24" screen size which is why I went for this model in the first place and there are quite a few widescreen games which made it worth it for me.

The only problem I found with the monitor is that the backlight was quite bright but that was fixed completely when I used dark tinted perspex over the front.

Boomstick - I had to redo the wallhanging cab as much as I liked the idea I wouldnt have been able to move it at all (major downer) and I'd always be worried about someone sitting on it or something stupid and wrenching it away from the wall.  Definately a good idea in hindsight after playing a couple of games of Robotron!

One thing I dont think I've mentioned is that I managed to blow the original lights in the coin door so used a set of lights that came with some NovaGemCDR coin buttons from GGG. They're amazingly bright and much better than any other LED's I've tried.

OTTOgd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 05:20:27 pm »
Thanks for the link update - got it, thanks!

You said 'ask away' so here goes:

It appears the Hanns-G hits the sweet spot for size/cost that I've been looking for: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026. I'm assuming it won't considering the distance but does the TN panel 160/160 viewing angle bother you at all?

More questions from an aspiring cab builder:
- computer access is from the back?
- is there usb access for keyboard sitting on top of the machine? 
- the white pinball buttons don't detract all; nice, but why just 1 on each side? No nudge?
- skipping the admin buttons looks cleaner but does it bother you?
- what does the button beside the Turbotwist 2 do?
- the Turbotwist 2 looks small to grab - were you just trying to keep it symmetrical with the button?
- what joysticks did you buy?

- now that you're done and having fun is there anything you would change?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:23:52 pm by OTTOgd »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:58 am »
Hi OTTOgd,

The monitor can look washed out but you have to be pretty far to the side before it's even noticable, in fact the sides of the cab start to cover the screen before the viewing angle becomes a problem. Standing in front of it or even a normal distance to the sides it looks fantastic.

There's no doubt that there are much better monitors out there but for the price (and my budget!) it was really the only option and more than happy with it.

I'll get some pictures at the weekend so demonstrate it and some other stuff but in answer to your other questions:

- The back is divided into 4 separate panels - the bottom and the top panels are glued into place for stability, the second one from the bottom is on a hinge and opening that gives me access to the PC I've used which is a Shuttle PC and so other than taking the top off didnt need decasing as it was pretty small. The final panel which is 3rd from the bottom is screwed in and is used to access the back of the monitor if I ever need to get at it - which is pretty handy for mounting/unmounting etc.

- The keyboard is bluetooth so doesn't need to be plugged in but I do need to add a couple of USB ports at the front as its getting pretty annoying going through the coin door to get to the inbuilt USB ports.  I'll probably expose the USB ports just under the CP where you cant see them normally.

- I had a bit of an issue with the pinball buttons as when I built the CP I hadnt taken into account that the joystick base would get in the way of the normal concave buttons so had to order two 'shallow' buttons from Lizard Lick. Only after they arrived did I realise that 4 would be better. So far it hasnt bothered me too much but I may add some later if it starts to annoy me.

- I dont really need admin buttons with the MiniPAC as the SHIFT function means that I can allocate admin keys to any button on the CP anyway by holding down P1 start and then the key I want to use for pause or tab or whatever.

- I've been found out! The button behind the turbotwist was really only put there to balance the CP with the spinner however it has come in useful as a plunger button in Future Pinball and I use it as pause during MAME. Initial plans of the CP had the spinner in the middle of the CP but when I did a mockup and added the Mini driving wheel I found the player 2 joystick getting in the way.  I dont have any problems grabbing it though and it works like a charm.

- I'll have to come back to you on the joysticks as I've had them for quite a while and cant remember what kind they were. I know I definately need to get longer shafts for them though as they're mounted below the CP which doesnt give them a lot of height above. Thinking about ball tops in red and blue at the moment but I'm always open to suggestions!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:43:38 am »
I've just noticed your a fellow UK BYOAC'r, It's nice to see some talent on this side of the pond  :cheers:

If you want to add a couple of USB ports to your cab you could use [these] USB panel mount sockets which are easy to mount and look nice and clean, they are £3.79 from Maplins. [Neutrik] also manufacture them in black but I haven't seen them over here.

With regards to your pinball buttons, if you want to add nudge you could use [Ultimarcs U-HID G] It's a three-axis accelerometer which senses when you knock the cab (left, right, front etc) and then sends the corresponding keystroke or button press to your PC. I haven't seen them reviewed as yet but I'm sure they will work very well if any of Ultimarcs products are anything to go by.

OTTOgd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 09:44:41 am »
markc74,

Sounds like Hanns-G might be the perfect solution for the price. One might pay the equivalent for a new 25"-27" arcade monitor but save space and 60+ Lbs. It is a TN panel but, like you said, the wash doesn't affect normal playing angles.

I'd love to see more pics or movie especially of a vertical game.

Thanks for your answers and for sharing this sweet cab!

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 02:02:09 pm
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 10:47:33 am »
Very nice cab!
Im in the process of making a slim(ish) cab with roughly the same sort of shape (see pic).
Mine has more depth as im putting in a 25" CRT.

What model of joystick are you using?
Do you use a shift fuction for coin1/coin2 or the coin return buttons on the door.?
Also if its not too much trouble could you tell me the dimensions of the top of your cp? (in a rectangle will do).

Once again very nice! :notworthy:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:10:38 am by Rusty Shackelford »

Hazzard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2009, 10:00:48 am
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 11:52:35 am »
Looks awesome!  :cheers:

dweebs0r

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 09:42:59 pm »
I love it.  Very unique and eye catching.

Usul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2020, 03:44:22 am
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 05:17:19 am »
got to agree here. Really awesome looking cabinet.

Do you think that in terms of viewing angles the HannsG would not be suitable for 4-player cab?

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »
I really like this cab. The lines are clean and the artwork is perfect. Very nice.  :applaud:

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »
That is mint.

I wish i had that kind of talent.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 04:08:24 pm »
 :cheers:

Another word of praise on the lines & curves...she's a sexy beast.

Do you have a shot of the back? Curious how you handled that.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
awesome, I really dig it
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

jimto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2019, 03:20:14 pm
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 08:56:51 am »
The curves on the side make quite a visual impact.

Your CPO, at first I thought maybe you had more to add since a lot of them are so busy, but when i realized it was just very clean, I liked it A LOT. Great job!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:41 am »
Sweet build.... Nice to see a fellow UK builder and another fan of ORANGE T-Moulding  :cheers:
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 01:17:12 pm »
Here's a link to the 3d plans (in .x3d format) --> http://www.questionbar.co.uk/files/Terminus.x3d (updated link)

I probably wont be able to host them there for long so I'll find a better place to host them

I've placed a copy on the File Repository now at http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3554 -- please let me know if you object and I'll take them down.

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Corell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2010, 04:45:55 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 04:44:28 pm »
HI there :D

do you have any detailled plans for your Cab? E.g. plans for the control panel?

best regards!

Reckless

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2011, 05:17:05 am
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »
HI there :D

do you have any detailled plans for your Cab? E.g. plans for the control panel?

best regards!

I am also very interested in more detailed plans of the cab cus I plan to build a very similar one - maybe one that is even a bit smaller cus I have only very little space for a cab.

I already tried to import the x3d file into blender as blender has a x3d importer built in but without luck.
Would you mind to share the 3D modell in another, more user friendly format? That would be great :D

EDIT: Can someone plz point me to a 3D proggy that can open x3d files? Blender has an import X3D File option but that didnt work for me :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:15:31 pm by Reckless »

Reckless

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2011, 05:17:05 am
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
*BUMP*

okay I messaged markc74 but didnt get an response :(

Does anyone know how to import X3D into a CAD Software? Blender, AutoCAD or even sketchup doesnt matter I just need the file into a CAD software so that I can take the exact meassurements.

blueznl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:42 am »
Ooooh. I missed this one, nice!

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
nice, do you think it would be possible to mount a normal 2 player control panel on here (it's about the size of the one offered through mameroom)? I was thinking of building this and attaching my keyboard to it.. I'm just afraid it will tip over with the weight of the control panel.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »
I missed this one last year too.  Very nice work. I like the design.

technomane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 12:02:47 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:50 am »
Hi ... i'm writing from Italy.

Does someone knows how to handle the .x3d file (downloaded from repository) and convert this for obtaining the measures ?

I'm going to build a  :notworthy: terminus like cab

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:31:24 am by technomane »

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
What a sweet build, excellent lines, no excessive bulk, looks comfortable to play

Superb!

technomane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 04:39:30 am »
*BUMP*

okay I messaged markc74 but didnt get an response :(

Does anyone know how to import X3D into a CAD Software? Blender, AutoCAD or even sketchup doesnt matter I just need the file into a CAD software so that I can take the exact meassurements.

Hi, i'm looking for the same thing like you.
I've tried to import the x3d file but with no success.
The issue is that it the doesn't contain any geometry (looks like no meausurements available in the native x3d file).

Did you find a solution?

Bye

trevorp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2023, 03:21:22 pm
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »
I used MeshLab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ to convert the .x3d file to a .3ds file, then imported that file into SketchUp.  It comes into SketchUp really large, but since we know the outside dimensions of the cabinet, it's easy enough to scale it down to close to the right size.

Unfortunately, I've only been using SketchUp for about 15 minutes now, so I haven't learned all the nuances yet.

It's good enough to get a very close idea of how big things are though.

Hope that helps,

-Trevor
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:11:02 pm by trevorp »

technomane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 10:10:53 am »
I used MesLab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ to convert the .x3d file to a .3ds file, then imported that file into SketchUp.  It comes into SkethUp really large, but since we know the outside dimensions of the cabinet, it's easy enough to scale it down to close to the right size.

Unfortunately, I've only been using SketchUp for about 15 minutes now, so I haven't learned all the nuances yet.

It's good enough to get a very close idea of how big things are though.

Hope that helps,

-Trevor

I'm just trying this now....it seems great for me.
Great !

Thank you