Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advanced alpha search?  (Read 4873 times)

OneShot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2009, 06:42:10 pm
Advanced alpha search?
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:05:16 am »
Hello all,

I want to use a mp3 jukebox software that handles advanced alpha search. I am not sure if that is the official name for it, but I want to search my mp3's such that with every letter that I type, the shown selection is getting smaller. I.e. When I type "E", all words starting with "E" are shown. Additionally I type "V", now all songs / artists with words beginning with "EV" are shown etc.
This is very useful for browsing in huge mp3 collections.

I am using Wincab, but I can only find next/previous alpha. It is possible that this advanced search is not included in the program because it isn't used in old non-digital jukeboxes, but if it is, how can I do that? If it is not possible at all using Wincab, which programs do have this option?

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Advanced alpha search?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:58:51 pm »
It is not included.  Part of this is because of the fact that it is mean to simulate old-fashioned jukeboxes without search, and the other is that the internal database just isn't robust enough to do that kind of search on the fly.

If you are using a Numeric skin, however, pressing a letter will at least jump to artists starting with that letter; that is about as close as you can get right now.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

OneShot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2009, 06:42:10 pm
Re: Advanced alpha search?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:10:16 pm »
Hey Chris, thanks for the response. I probably have to do it the way you say so, I have searched for other jukebox programs, but I didn't like them that much as wincab, or I couldn't use it with numeric input.
Topic can be locked if wanted.