Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiki Etiquette: Adding My Repro Parts to the wiki?  (Read 14164 times)

Daviea

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 06:51:56 pm
    • RAM Controls
Wiki Etiquette: Adding My Repro Parts to the wiki?
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
I've been digging through the wiki for the last few days and I noticed a couple of mentions here and there about some of my repro stuff in the pushbuttons page and the yoke rebuild page.  That's very cool.

Now, I wanted to see if I could add information about other items such as:

1-1/2" and 2-1/4" t-molding to the t-molding page
Major Havoc roller controller to the spinner page
4-1/2" trackball parts to the trackball page
720 parts to the spinner(??) page
Yoke controller parts to the flight yoke page

....etc, etc... you get the idea.

My question is a two parter.  First part: is it OK for ME to make these additions or is that crossing the line (as in hyping my own products which I do not want to do)?  Second part: if it is OK, do I have the ability to do so or do I need to ask someone for this access?

I would be thrilled if someone else would take it upon themselves to add this information as it would be an unbiased entry by nature.  If I were to make these additions, as much as I would try to remain objective, I would still be a biased contributor to these subjects.

Maybe there's no point in even adding these items to the wiki in the first place.  I'd like to think that the addition of these items would be relevant information.

Any comments?

Thanks

David Adams
RAM Controls

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Wiki Etiquette: Adding My Repro Parts to the wiki?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »
If I ever manage to get a handle on the Parts For Specific Games Page[/quote], your stuff is decidedly at the top of the list.

I put together a [url=http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Game-Specific_Parts]quick prototype
, but wasn't really happy with it and haven't gotten back to it yet.

As far as the other pages go, I'll leave it to the relevant contributors to those pages and other folks to weigh in.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:37:16 pm »
Hey Cheffo,

Thanks for the response.  I really am new to the entire wiki concept, but it sure looks cool.  I've been involved with the arcade industry since I was a kid, so I have a lot of information that I'm more than happy to share.  To be honest, the wiki looks confusing to me, I wouldn't even know where to begin if I were to add non-ramcontrols information.  As a member of BYOAC, am I automatically given the ability to add information to the wiki or do I need to ask someone for that access?  Or perhaps I can forward information to the proper people and they can add it?  I guess I just don't understand how it works, exactly.

If anyone wants to pick my brain, let me know.  I used to spend a LOT of time at Atari when I was a kid, plus I've pretty much broken down and studied every Atari controller imaginable.  Then, of course, is the insane amount of time I spent working on arcade repair.  :-)  The list goes on.  I like the whole wiki idea as I understand it, so I hope I can be of help.

David Adams
RAM Controls

If I ever manage to get a handle on the Parts For Specific Games Page
, your stuff is decidedly at the top of the list.

I put together a quick prototype, but wasn't really happy with it and haven't gotten back to it yet.

As far as the other pages go, I'll leave it to the relevant contributors to those pages and other folks to weigh in.

[/quote]

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:58:13 am »
Hey Cheffo,

Thanks for the response.  I really am new to the entire wiki concept, but it sure looks cool.  I've been involved with the arcade industry since I was a kid, so I have a lot of information that I'm more than happy to share.  To be honest, the wiki looks confusing to me, I wouldn't even know where to begin if I were to add non-ramcontrols information.  As a member of BYOAC, am I automatically given the ability to add information to the wiki or do I need to ask someone for that access?  Or perhaps I can forward information to the proper people and they can add it?  I guess I just don't understand how it works, exactly.

If anyone wants to pick my brain, let me know.  I used to spend a LOT of time at Atari when I was a kid, plus I've pretty much broken down and studied every Atari controller imaginable.  Then, of course, is the insane amount of time I spent working on arcade repair.  :-)  The list goes on.  I like the whole wiki idea as I understand it, so I hope I can be of help.

David Adams
RAM Controls

Yes, you should be able to use your BYOAC user info to login to edit the wiki.

And, yes, lots of it looks confusing to me as well, although I'm not sure how to better organize it -- and I typically spend all of my time on the Restoration page anyway, which is pretty much just a collection of links from my book marks with some slight degree of organization applied.

I've wanted to write up some actual articles about restoration, but have so far been content to link to articles written by others.

My attempt at a "specific parts" database is my first attempt to do something original in the wiki (because, while I have a great memory, I still spend hours scanning vendor sites looking for that specific chip, silly label or oddball bit) and I just don't know enough about wikis technically yet to make it work the way I want it to (to the point where I'm thinking about just assembling a database, writing a quick set of scripts with a search engine and hosting it myself ... which maybe I should do as a first cut).

One of Xiaou2's better ideas was to try and assemble a database of detailed controller information because, in many cases, we're losing those more rapidly and permanently than game code. I think I provided some negative feedback at the time (was a while ago), but the more I think about it, it would be a real shame to lose that information and there are people, both restoration and DIY folks who could make good use of it.

I only just noticed that you weren't listed in the Vendors portion of the wiki. I was a bit surprised, but then again, I typically only check vendors entries after my most recent order to them and only then, if they are missing, add them in.

I have added you and set up a RAM Controls page with some text I pulled from your site -- perhaps the best place to start getting your feet wet is to tune that page as you see fit.

Huge thanks for your interest -- it may take other folks a while to chime in here as this part of the board isn't frequented much (witness the number of responses I got to my last suggestion ... zero).

:cheers:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:17:28 am »
Hey Cheffo,

I just made my first attempt at editing a wiki.  I went to the page you started for me and added a bunch of information.  I need to go back, add more text to flesh it out, plus I need to make some minor corrections and what not.  Let me know what you think.  Am I laying it on too thick?  Not enough?  Anything I missed?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being more involved with the wiki now that I know it exists.  LOL

David Adams
RAM Controls

Yes, you should be able to use your BYOAC user info to login to edit the wiki.

And, yes, lots of it looks confusing to me as well, although I'm not sure how to better organize it -- and I typically spend all of my time on the Restoration page anyway, which is pretty much just a collection of links from my book marks with some slight degree of organization applied.

I've wanted to write up some actual articles about restoration, but have so far been content to link to articles written by others.

My attempt at a "specific parts" database is my first attempt to do something original in the wiki (because, while I have a great memory, I still spend hours scanning vendor sites looking for that specific chip, silly label or oddball bit) and I just don't know enough about wikis technically yet to make it work the way I want it to (to the point where I'm thinking about just assembling a database, writing a quick set of scripts with a search engine and hosting it myself ... which maybe I should do as a first cut).

One of Xiaou2's better ideas was to try and assemble a database of detailed controller information because, in many cases, we're losing those more rapidly and permanently than game code. I think I provided some negative feedback at the time (was a while ago), but the more I think about it, it would be a real shame to lose that information and there are people, both restoration and DIY folks who could make good use of it.

I only just noticed that you weren't listed in the Vendors portion of the wiki. I was a bit surprised, but then again, I typically only check vendors entries after my most recent order to them and only then, if they are missing, add them in.

I have added you and set up a RAM Controls page with some text I pulled from your site -- perhaps the best place to start getting your feet wet is to tune that page as you see fit.

Huge thanks for your interest -- it may take other folks a while to chime in here as this part of the board isn't frequented much (witness the number of responses I got to my last suggestion ... zero).

:cheers: