Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey kong video problem  (Read 3841 times)

Gonzo22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2010, 12:52:23 am
Donkey kong video problem
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »
Hello, last wednesday I picked up a donkey kong off of craigs list and after a few games today this happened,

If I unplug the game and plug it back in the image returns to normal for a few minutes and then goes back to the way the picture I attached shows.

When I picked it up he said that it had not been capped, and said that sanyo EZ's liked to stop working after capping, so he trys to avoid it.

Any advice on what the problem is, and how to fix it? I can take some more photos of anything in the cab if you need a better look, Thanks.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Donkey kong video problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:16:49 pm »
Looks like a horizontal frequency adjustment is needed.
Horizontal hold maybe. (VR362)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

gokun

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2014, 04:57:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:21:02 pm »
I know this will sound a bit odd, but I've had(and still have 1) monitor that like to warm up. Best example is my nanao monitor....takes it a good 5-10 minutes to warm up good....if you adjust it to a stable pic prior to that when it warm up it will roll. If you let it warm up then adjust it to a stable pic, then it will be fine. BUT every time you turn it back on it will roll for a few minutes until it gets warmed up then the picture will lock in.
So I guess what I'm saying is...let it warm up for about 10 minutes then adjust the pic to be stable. and it should hold from then on(assuming there are no other hardware issues, etc. present).
So what kevin said, but let it warm up first. ;)

Gonzo22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »
Thanks for the replys, the picture is not rolling though.

Kevin, what your saying is a cap kit?

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 05:34:12 pm »
Bob Roberts sells the pots to fix this. $10 for all of them on the board. If I remember right, the 200k pot (Vert Hold, VR 353) is the one that caused that issue on mine.

gokun

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2014, 04:57:18 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:36:14 pm »
Well, I was using the rolling on mine just as an example...also if the hold is off bad enough it will not appear to roll but will look very similar to the screen you show in your pic, which I'm assuming is why kevin said to try adjusting it.
I figure it's easy enough to let it sit a few minutes then try the adjustment kevin mentioned. horizontal hold would generally be a knob you turn btw ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:39:59 pm by gokun »

Gonzo22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
I cant thank you guys enough for the quick replys, it is making my day better as this was a big set back for me.

Any quick links to info for where I can find a diagram to make this ajustment?

I let it sit for 30 mins and when and tried again,and this time the game played for about 20 mins before the picture reverted back to scrambed.

Thanks again guys!

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:29:17 pm »
The horizontal hold is damn near dead smack in the middle of the main chassis.
(It's not on the remote board)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »
I can't find the site that showed how to fix this, but you can test the pot by shorting it with a resistor (I think it was 1k). If the problem clears up, it is a bad pot. This is not a fix, just a test. I wouldn't even mess with the horizontal hold, I think this is a problem with the vert hold. The pic looks just like my monitor did. If it rolls, I am assuming it is to the right, which is vertical hold on a vertically mounted monitor.

Gonzo22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »
Would I need to discharge the monitor before trying to adjust the pot on the main board or can I do it while the picture is on the screen so I know how much to adjust it?

My arm would be right near the anode cap though, and isnt that in the danger zone?

Also paul, my picture doent roll a all, it is clear as day then just scrambles to the picture I uploaded and stays still, when you had this problem did yours roll?

Thanks

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 12:09:28 am »
Mine didn't roll either; I just saw rolling mentioned in the thread. If you adjust the vert hold, it will start rolling. The picture looks like mine did. To adjust the horiz hold, you can get your adjustment tool set up with the monitor off (and discharged too if you want) then turn it on and adjust it from a safe distance.

Gonzo22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:26:55 am »
Thanks for all the info Paul, I was hoping to find someone that had this exact problem so I knew what needed fixing.
When you fixed this  on your monitor you replaced the pots on the control board? Also I cant seem to find it on bob's page, do you know where it is at or what link it is under?

Thanks for all your help with this, I am going to try the hold on the main board to see if I get lucky, and if that doesnt work I guess I will try to replace the pots, and cap it at the same time and if that doesnt work buy a new rebuilt one from quarterarcade.

If I didnt want to do this work, what type of person would I hire, a tv repairman?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
If those are the original caps on that monitor chassis it without a doubt needs recapping.  While it's out reflow the solder wherever you can.  It will, of course, need readjusting once it's recapped.  Make sure you run it extensively afterward so the caps can 'burn in'.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »
First of all, if you plan to collect a bunch of games, you probably should just learn how to do it. Start with the pots, it doesn't get much easier than that. I would guess that it would probably be cheaper to buy a working chassis than to have a TV repairman work on it. If you really just do not want to mess with it, try to find someone local from the boards here, or at CoinOpSpace, or Klov.

If you decide to do the cap kit yourself, you can find a link to a great walkthru here: http://www.coinopspace.com/group/donkeykongfans.

Paul

Gonzo22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »
Just finished my first cap kit ever on this monitor. It went well, but there was an issue with one of the caps that might cause it to be failure. The path was torn off the board slightly but still connected from a previous repair done years ago by the looks of it. I soldered it the best I could and also soldered a bypass in with some .18 wire as the track was small and only connected to one other thing. Installed new pots and capped the sound board too.

Will post if I need to buy a new monitor or not tommorow.

Big thanks for all of the help given in this topic, with out a community like this one I think the hobby would be a bust.