Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How wrong was I?  (Read 11182 times)

Silas (son of Silas)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
How wrong was I?
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »
I've been an arcade gamer for about 25 years and I have dithered over building my own cab for about 10 of those. I have owned a Hotrod SE for years (and hated the joystick throw but done nothing about it), but now my daughter (13) has acquired her father's addiction for gaming I figured given that she loves arcade games but has NEVER played on a real arcade machine (and tbh I doubt she will anytime soon) I have decided to finally bite the bullet and build a full size cab.

For a while now I have seen the Saints book online and didn't buy it. I figured 2 things; firstly its American therefore their  will be loads of references to products I wouldn't be able to buy in the UK and secondly I have already researched this subject to death for YEARS so what on earth is buying a book going to teach me?

Well... I was so wrong. All the products discussed in the book are available here in the UK and secondly, holy cow did id make me stop and think. I was just on the verge of splashing cash and starting my build and the book has thrown my build in a whole new (and better direction)

Thanks Saint for taking the time to write this. I'm pretty sure that there will be loads of lurkers on this site thinking about building an arcade machine of there own. All I can say is buy this book. I am damn sure you'll not regret it. If you build a can then get hold of a copy you'll be kicking yourself every time you fire up the cab.

The only point in the book that I didn't whole heatedly agree with was the line on page 11 that said "...running a Microsoft operating system will be your best (easiest) choice"

I have worked in IT for many years and Microsoft is my 'day job.' The second I walk through my front door at home, the last thing I want is anything that reminds me of work, so I'm a linux user. My Hotrod SE is currently hooked up to a dedicated puppy box running Wah!cade as a front to SDLMAME and it suits me just fine.

*Edited because I can't spell for toffee
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:07:43 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re: How wrong was I?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:08 pm »
I've been an arcade gamer for about 25 years and I have dithered over building my own cab for about 10 of those. I have owned a Hotrod SE for years (and hated the joystick throw but done nothing about it), but now my daughter (13) has acquired her father's addiction for gaming I figured given that she loves arcade games but has NEVER played on a real arcade machine (and tbh I doubt she will anytime soon) I have decided to finally bite the bullet and build a full size cab.

For a while now I have seen the Saints book online and didn't buy it. I figured 2 things; firstly its American therefore their  will be loads of references to products I wouldn't be able to buy in the UK and secondly I have already researched this subject to death for YEARS so what on earth is buying a book going to teach me?

Well... I was so wrong. All the products discussed in the book are available here in the UK and secondly, holy cow did id make me stop and think. I was just on the verge of splashing cash and starting my build and the book has thrown my build in a whole new (and better direction)

Thanks Saint for taking the time to write this. I'm pretty sure that there will be loads of lurkers on this site thinking about building an arcade machine of there own. All I can say is buy this book. I am damn sure you'll not regret it. If you build a can then get hold of a copy you'll be kicking yourself every time you fire up the cab.

The only point in the book that I didn't whole heatedly agree with was the line on page 11 that said "...running a Microsoft operating system will be your best (easiest) choice"

I have worked in IT for many years and Microsoft is my 'day job.' The second I walk through my front door at home, the last thing I want is anything that reminds me of work, so I'm a linux user. My Hotrod SE is currently hooked up to a dedicated puppy box running Wah!cade as a front to SDLMAME and it suits me just fine.

*Edited because I can't spell for toffee

Cool beans, glad to hear you're liking it :) 
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Haterot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2012, 09:27:41 am
Re: How wrong was I?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:44:53 am »
Have to agree. I just received my book on Monday and I'm just about through the first reading. A lot of information I have picked up just from the website and users here but the book is proving to be a great reference  and makes it easier to look something up while Im in the garage than running back to the office to so a forum search. Thanks again for the book and the site Saint.
Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets