Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Competition #17: Bank Panic  (Read 14851 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: Game Competition #17: Bank Panic
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 05:04:35 pm »
Isn't it the number where a villain will be next?

I wondered what the hell that meant.

Yeah, the bad guy is not necessarily the next in line on the indicated door, but if you don't attend that door quickly, money will be stolen there.

OH. Jesus, I thought maybe I was losing it, or maybe I was just taking too long or something and it was taking them away at random. Not that it has really mattered in the general scheme of things so far. Never had an issue with a bomb, yet, either.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

hbm*rais

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm
  • Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »
Call me stupid, but... I just now noticed that some doors have cashiers/tellers and some don't. When someone drops a bag of money on a manned window it's worth 1000 bonus points.

Manned windows also seem to attract more bandits than unmanned windows.

The number of points received for a single bag of money increase according to the number of bags previously received on that window (200, 400, 600, 800 and then 1000).

So the best strategy would be to spend most of the time around the same windows (preferably around one with a teller) to increase the number of bonus and high value deposits.

Gosh, I spent so much time playing this game and never analyzed it like that. You guys are ruining the magic to me  :P

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 10:32:07 pm »
Gosh, I spent so much time playing this game and never analyzed it like that. You guys are ruining the magic to me  :P

But the analysis is the magic of it all ... well, of how people can pull a game like BP apart by just getting together on a thread and playing it. Like, I thought not so many people would have gotten into BP because it's a bit corny and the pace is different to most arcade games. I guess that might still be true, but I am able to enjoy this game all over again and learn things that I'd never realised before.

Seems that the blue lady almost always has a baddie behind her - but maybe 1 time in 100 gives $$ bags. Might be more likely when your points are higher.

I have actually scored well-over 500k before, but that was on another machine and at another time. Gotta get back and practice.
Check out my completed projects!

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »
Ssshhhhhh!  Can't you guys analyze how to squeeze the most points out of Bank Panic *after* I win the competition Monday night!??!  My lead is small & tenuous as it is!!!

>:D

-Jason

hbm*rais

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm
  • Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 10:47:35 pm »
Ssshhhhhh!  Can't you guys analyze how to squeeze the most points out of Bank Panic *after* I win the competition Monday night!??!  My lead is small & tenuous as it is!!!

-Jason

I guess you're right. I should keep my analysis to myself until after I used it to win this competition. I'm crazy to impose on present to you my favorite obscure Japanese labyrinth game  >:D .

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »
My lead is small & tenuous as it is!!!

-Jason

:blah:
Heh, good luck Jason ;D

My mojo isn't aligned right today.

I just had the blue lady give me $$ twice in round 10 .... and then I somehow went on a killing spree and wiped out about three people before one of the baddies finally did a public service and took me down ...  :dunno

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 12:42:47 am »
Well I probably should have waited until 11:59 on the 5th to post this, but this is fun....   :P

Have you guys looked at the high scores on MARP?  9,999,999!!!  WTF!  :dizzy:

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 11:45:29 am »
Yah, if we think we're good, we need but look @ Twin Galaxies to see more 9,999,999 scores.  We stink.

Nice one, ahofle.  You win.  I've got pinball league all day today, and tomorrow after work, I need to pack for my honeymoon, so no more chances for me.  It took me 2-3 hours to work up to breaking 500k, so 600k ain't gonna happen.

Sigh, always a bridesmaid, never a bride...   :P

-Jason

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:36 pm »
You have to do all doors, though, else you'll run out of time.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:45 am »
And the winner is ahofle, with... ah gotta get out of this window to peek at the picture again and memorize it  :banghead:
But it's him, alright. Congratulations!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 06:59:18 am »
Congrats to ahofle!  A competition well won.  :cheers:

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:51 am »
Wait.....is it over or not? Are we going by the day or the date? If date, this isn't over until tonight.
Last day is Monday, May 5th (11:59:59pm Eastern Standard Time).

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:31 am »
I vote that it's over.  I believe that most of them (well, the last several, which are the only ones I've folllowed) end on a Monday night.  I know I've already thrown in the towel!  :)

-Jason

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:53 am »
Wait.....is it over or not? Are we going by the day or the date? If date, this isn't over until tonight.
Last day is Monday, May 5th (11:59:59pm Eastern Standard Time).

You have a point, although I think that my chances of coming to trump ahofle at this late stage are pretty slim. Jason apparently needs some congratulations for an even greater achievement  :cheers:, and probably needs to concentrate on scoring points in that area right now.  :censored:

So, unless one of you other folks or a dark horse contender comes in in the last minute ......

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:10 am »
 :cheers:  Thanks, Zeb.

On 2 hrs of sleep, waiting for the wife to pack her stuff, sore...I've more than given up.  :)

-Jason

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2009, 09:32:48 am »
I believe that most of them (well, the last several, which are the only ones I've folllowed) end on a Monday night.

-Jason

Mine was only a few comps back and I ended it on a Friday, since it is the only night I can really stay up that late, since I don't have work the next day.

Still, I feel we should not assume anything. Let's wait until the contest is over to declare a winner. Though Andy appears to have stomped everyone, I'd hate to rule out anyone waiting in the wings. If we are going to have rules, let's follow them.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2009, 10:04:45 am »
Ginsu
There is no controversy. I announced the winner after midnight EST. I think there is something screwed up with my time settings and I didn't realize it untill I post it, and noticed the time. Right now it's 10:04 am EST and my message shows...

I also just noticed date issue. Today is tuesday 5th not monday. I think competition ends on monday, right? When I wrote 5th I never checked callendar, I just copied what someone else said about 5th (if  I recall correctly)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:09:37 am by mimic »

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2009, 10:07:12 am »
Okay, but what I was saying is that the contest doesn't end until 11:59pm tonight.

I also just noticed date issue. Today is tuesday 5th not monday. I think competition ends on monday, right? When I wrote 5th I never checked callendar, I just copied what someone else said about 5th (if  I recall correctly)

The competition can end whenever you set it to end, just make sure you set it for the right DATE, because I know I never look at the day, only the date (which is the most important part to get right).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:25:24 am by Ginsu Victim »

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:36 pm »
Okay, but what I was saying is that the contest doesn't end until 11:59pm tonight.

The competition can end whenever you set it to end, just make sure you set it for the right DATE, because I know I never look at the day, only the date (which is the most important part to get right).

Look, I haven't been exactly handed a rule book on how this goes, when I created new topic. At first I set it up for 1 week then was told that it should be 2 weeks I corrected that.
Being flexible on exact date is a news to me, so if all parties involved agree, then it's been over since midnight yestarday. Ahofle take it away ;)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2009, 04:09:31 pm »
Look, I haven't been exactly handed a rule book on how this goes, when I created new topic.

There were 16 threads like this before yours. When I posted mine, I linked to all the previous competitions, but that trend has since been lost.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
I don't know why we have to stretch this again like it's super important. Sorry I just don't have time to study 16 previous threads. I got 2 year old to take care of + my wife just got out of hospital, hence I've barely got any time to even sit down and participate in any kind of discussions.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »
Well if you're going to start a competition thread you should understand how it has worked up until that point and at least get the date right.

Don't get me started again on you basically asking people to pay an entry fee so you could give out a cash prize.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »
There is the angry part of you comming out again. I never asked to do what you allege. I SUGGESTED as in I asked for an OPINION that I would start a pool as a winner with $5 and everyone else involved would VOLUNTARILY! & as an OPTION! (I vividly remember using these 2 words) would chip in $1 to some nice cash prize going. 10 peoples involved + my $5 = maybe nice $15 to spend on whatever you want that you will have use for. Sorry for being pragmatical
Again I asked for an opinion! We have been through that on here as well as in private messages, I really don't see the reason to bring this up. people didn't like the IDEA, I killed it. that's all. I NEVER OUTRIGHT asked to do that.
I'm dropping it now. no more replies on this subject. Good bye.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2009, 04:41:08 pm »
Congrats Andy! I'm glad to see someone in charge of the next comp who will do it right.

:applaud: