Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacement Speaker Help!  (Read 9001 times)

bowman9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2009, 09:44:55 am
Replacement Speaker Help!
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:16 pm »
Hello All,

I am still trying to get my Williams Phoenix pinball machine up and running and am currently working on the sound card. I have replaced all the old capacitors on the board as one was very corroded and am now looking for a replacement speaker.

Does anyone know the of the needed requirements for the replacement speaker?
It is a Williams System3/4 sound board (known as TYPE 1).
Here are the only numbers I could find on the back of the speaker, but they did not come up on any google searches. I am not sure if the speaker is original or not as I bought the machine used.
20a-9218

Thanks for any help,
Bowman9

bowman9

• Offline Offline
Re: Replacement Speaker Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:27:14 pm »
Okay a picked up a replacement speaker, but that does not seem to be the issue.
The speaker makes a humming sound and some crackling noises, but no actual pin sounds, so I have also replaced the sound prom with no luck either.

I am getting ready to replace the MPU and the PIA chips (and sockets) but noticed a couple of red jumper wires on the back of the board (please see attached image).

Does anybody know if these wires were installed at the factory or is this a modification/hack that was done later on???

Thanks
Bowman9

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35:06 am »
Why not buy Pinball Pro Speakers or are they not offered for this machine?
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

bowman9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »
I already picked up a replacement speaker from Marco specialties, the trouble I am having now is getting the sound card to work. I am going to put the sound card aside for now and work on some other stuff first. Worst comes to worst I'll have to track down a new sound card.

Later,
Bowman9

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:55:24 am »
Updating this thread. Newark (formerly MCM Electronics) now sells a replacement speaker which fits and works on these early Williams solid state pinball machines.

http://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-select/55-5690/6-5-full-range-dual-cone-speaker/dp/95Y2940?ost=55-5690&scope=partnumberlookahead&exaMfpn=true&searchref=searchlookahead&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fw%2Fsearch

Newark # 95Y2940 or MCM # 55-5690 speaker.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:16 pm »
Here's a side-by-side comparison of an original 6 inch speaker from a Stern Orbiter 1 pinball and the brand new Newark/MCM speaker. Look at how beefy the magnet is. This new speaker sounds great!