Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Red 5 Standing by...  (Read 2432 times)

m_mcgover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 09:19:55 pm
Red 5 Standing by...
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:21:42 pm »
Well, this is not that much of a restoration....

But I did rebuild the monitor boards...Hopefully that counts...   ;)

I picked this up as part of the second leg of my February Warlords road trip...

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=80393
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=80751

...it is a pretty spiffy Star Wars Upright!  Check it out:

This guy is running with full Amplifone goodness.  I've been waiting to post these pics as I wanted to complete my Amplifone monitor boards rebuild first (thanks mspaeth, Level42 for answering some of my questions along the way!).  The final hold up was waiting on a HV probe to be shipped from an ebay seller.  The HV probe arrived yesterday and I finally got a chance to make the final monitor adjustments.  Then it was time to fire it up last night to be greeted with this beautiful sight:

I still need to add my amplifone fans, but I couldn't wait to play a few games, so I left the back off.

This upright will have to hold me over until I can complete the cockpit restoration (visible in the background up above), which I hope to resume next week if the temperature holds up here in NJ.  The condition of this upright is better than the one I sold to kjoel, which now resides with Nintendoh, whom I know will do a good job bringing it back to life.  The only negative with this cabinet is that one of the previous owners repainted the sides, back, and top with a brush.   :banghead:

So if you look closely, you can see the brush marks.  I considered stripping the paint and spray painting it...but that seems like a lot of work.  I'm not sure it will bother me that much.   

As you can see, the control panel and the repro marquee are in real nice shape:

The other blemishes include a hole in front for a now removed lock down bar (hole has been covered with a plastic car bumper cover cap).  And, someone added a plastic kickplate to the front, which I think looks pretty good:

It was a real long wait since these monitor boards were last working...Oct 2007!  I have been pretty lazy...but I also had a lot of other projects going on, too.  Anyway, after 16 months, it was really nice to play this one again.  Once the cockpit is ready, I will be transplanting the monitor boards and gameboards over...then I have something special planned for this upright.  Stay tuned!   8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:03:47 am by m_mcgover »
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Re: Red 5 Standing by...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:18 pm »
She looks really clean... nice edges and no real dings or dents...

Nice to have an amplifone... I hope to do that upgrade someday after I get the cosmetics of mine fixed up...
Happy Gaming!

m_mcgover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 09:19:55 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
Yes, there were some touch-ups to the artwork that are not noticeable at a distance, but become clear if you are standing next to it and looking closely.  And, as I said, the brush strokes are irratating, but not quite enough for me to consider stripping them...at least, I don't think so, anyway....

The amplifone is really nice.  I don't have a 6100 to compare against (so it just may be vector goodness), but it is nice and bright.  :D
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »
You'll notice at once when you'll see a 6100 for the first time :)