Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yet another Williams Multigame - Done!  (Read 5299 times)

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
Yet another Williams Multigame - Done!
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
I finally got my control panel done (apart from lighting the player start buttons), so I thought I'd toss up some pictures.  It's pretty much done with the exception of the cabinet resto.  The temperature and weather still suck, so I'll have to wait for it to warm up so I can do that outside.  I've got a set of the Phoenix Arcade side art and red T molding ready to go.

The beginning:

It got worse before it got better:

Current status:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:15:48 pm by Paladin »

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Yet another Williams Multigame
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:57 pm »
That's looking pretty good.  What are you running in it?
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »
I guess I should have put that info in!  It's the Jrok multi board. 

I bought the cabinet several months ago for $60, as a fully functional Bloxeed.  The Jrok board was a board swap a little wire harness work.   I downloaded the Phoenix Arcade artwork, and modified it a little.  The main thing I did was remove a lot of the Bubbles artwork, and the 'Williams Multigame' white text on the top.  I had the marquee printed by mamemarquees, and it's a quality job as usual.

I'm also using 4 inch shafts.  At first I though I'd go back to 3.5, but now that I've got the control panel finished I'll definately be staying with the longer shafts.  As everything multi, it's a compromise between games.  The long shafts are a bit tall for Defender and Stargate, but since Robotron is my favorite game I decided to keep them.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:13:56 am »
Not a fan of Bubbles?

Going to go with a different bezel or are you going to stick with Joust?

If you wanted it,  I could send you my custom bezel artwork (which you could remove the bubbles if you wanted to)...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »
I'm sorry man, but if I look longer than 3 seconds at that picture it drives me nuts.

Too much !

I'm sure in real life it'll be OK, but man this is busy for the eyes....

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:46:34 am »
Thanks for the bezel offer Frizz, but I'm going to stick with the Joust.

The weather has warmed up to the point that I could take the cabinet apart and bring it outside for sanding/paint.

I know, this pic makes me sad too.  When I was sanding it I almost bought a Joust stencil set, but stuck with my original plan instead. I already have the multi side art.

Here it is with 2 coats of primer. I usually tint my primer gray, but followed Frizz's project and just used white.  I've got the first coat of black on now (no pics yet), and it does cover up the white just fine.

m_mcgover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 09:19:55 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:32:48 pm »
Looks good.  Are you spraying or rolling on the paint?
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:47 pm »
I'm trying both.  I used Kilz spray primer and Rustoleum satin black spray on the front panel.  On the sides I'm using Kilz and Rustoleum rolled on with a foam roller.  The spray lays down flatter, but I suck at spraying and tend to get runs or spotting.  Even with a foam roller the sides have a slight texture, similar to a coin door but more uniform.

I think the combination looks good, a smooth front with a slight texture to the sides.  I just did my second coat of black on the sides this afternoon.  I plan on one more go over the front with spray, and one more rolled on coat for the sides.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:29:13 am »
You should sand between coats of paint.  That will help remove some of the texture.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25:10 am »
I did a very light sand after the first coat of black with 220 grit.  It took it down to the primer in a couple areas.  It also turns the nice black color to a faded black.  How do people sand things smooth without changing the color, do you need 1000 grit paper?  If you use that grit how does it take enough off to smooth anything?

I guess painting results come down to how much time you're willing to spend.  I'm getting anxious to play Robotron again!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:04 am »
I use 220 grit sandpaper between coats and 600 grit before the last coat.  The final coat I do not sand.  Unfortunately, the key to a good paint job is patience.  Several light coats will look better than just one layer. 

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:59 am »
Consider it done! 
I was going to restore the coin doors, but ran out of steam.  The upper one is in real good shape, and the lower isn't too bad.

The side art I got months ago, and for some reason it's a lot larger than I thought it would be.  Too bad I didn't notice it before, I could have sold it to Frizz, it's about the right size for his Stargate cab.  The left side looks OK, but the right side sits about 5 inches lower and looks 'off' because of it.  I might have been able to raise it a couple inches by cutting the black border right to the artwork, but I didn't want to risk messing it up.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:14:27 pm by Paladin »

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
Re: Yet another Williams Multigame - Done!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:25:00 pm »
Ooops, I modified the last post with the finished pictures but that doesn't bump it up.

So....  shameless bump!