Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simpsons resoration  (Read 10438 times)

ZORK2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2010, 11:45:04 pm
Simpsons resoration
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:54:00 pm »
Hi there everyone.
I'm pretty new to this board, but wanted to share the restoration process of a Simpsons cabinate that I picked up last week.
First off, this is my first full resotration, so I wasn't excactly sure where to begin!?!

Here are a couple shots as it came off my trailer.

The cab was pretty rough, a lot rougher than the pictures show, and I HATE the fact that someone had painted over the bright blue graphics that came stock on this cab!!

My first order of buisiness was to remove the 2 remaining levelers and add 4 nice lockable swivel castors, a short trip to TSC and it was done......

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
Re: Simpsons restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:11:56 pm »
Here a shot of the bottom and the CP, they look better in the pictures than they were in real life.
The CP had a missing corner that somone had attempted to Bondo, it looked terrible and was painted to try and match the overlay.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:42:47 pm by ZORK2 »

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
Re: Simpsons resoration
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15:47 pm »
Here Is the CP. Once I got it off, I removed the old CPO and old bondo, and got it back to good wood. Then I mixed up a batch of new bondo and made a new corner.  While it was drying I moved on to start the long labor intensive process of sanding off the old paint/decals

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »
A few pics pf the process....

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
Well while the bondo was curing up, I figured I'd get a start on the long process of sanding the old sideart off. I knew it would be labor intensive, but didn't realize just HOW labor intensive it would be! It looked like someone had used a brush around the charactors then just rolled on some black latex! It was a mess! I fought for every square inch that I cleared, after over an hour, I called it quits for the night......

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »
I made it this far the first day......

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:25 pm »
The next morning I got up all gung-ho about continuing the sanding process. THAT lasted about 10 minutes. After a couple hours, my hands were numb and my entire workshop had a thick layer of  dust on it and I'd gone through two entire packages of 60 grit ppaper! I figured on the other side , I was going to HAVE to try something different! I couldn't take the inch by inch sanding anymore!!  :banghead:
BUT AT LAST IT WAS DONE!!  :applaud:  Total time sanding 4-6 hours?? I HIGHLY recommend removing a side art decal THIS way!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »
IF YOUR CRAZY!!!!  :) Or enjoy the feeling of numb hands from running a palm sander for too long!
Here is the the pain painstaking process! This may not look too bad, but remember this is HOURS in between pics!!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
Well after that nightmere I did a little brainstorming....HOW CAN I GET THAT STICKER OFF THE SIDE WITHOUT SANDING!???!???!
Tryed a paint stripper on my drill, worked WORSE than the sanding.
Peeling it off? Maybe?
I got the bright idea to get my girlfriends hair dryer out and heating the sticker up, THEN trying to peel it off!! WORKED LIKE A CHARM! I bet I did the entire other side in under an hour? Gave it a light sanding, and it was ready for primer!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:04 pm »
All this in an hour?!?! YEP!
Still not fun, but way better than sanding!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
Time to step back for a moment. The day before, just after I took this machine off the trailer, I plugged it in an let it run. I even played it for about 20 minutes to test all the controls. Homer's "forward" didn't work, other than that it ran fine. I stepped in to have dinner and came back out to the garage and realized the game was still running but the monitor wasn't running!
So I made a post on the monitor forum of this site and realize quickly that unless I wanted to spend endless hours checking every component on the monitor board, I'd better check and see if I could find a working one some where? 60$ bucks later one was on its way from ebay!
So I turned my  focus back to the cab.....

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »
About that time, I figured I better get the new side art, CPO and marquee. The place that had  them all was www.mamemarquees.com. Alot pricier than I had hoped, but I could find no bad reviews of there products so I decided to bite the bullet and get them from there.
I also ordered some odds and ends from TwistedQuarter.com. Yellow T molding, corner protecters, ect ect.......
So I turned my focus back to the cab, more specifically the CP, that was now needed sanding......

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:36:34 pm »
I spent some time sanding the corner down to match the other side. I even made a  trace of the other side and drew an arch on the bondo so I'd know precisely how much to sand off.  I had to re-bondo and sand 3 times to get it to near perfection. I was happy with the results. But would need to re-route the t-molding groove.
Then I pulled the sander back out to remove the glue that held on the old CPO. This brought back nightmere from sanding the side art off, ONLY WORSE! The glue  gummed up my sandpaper in about 15 seconds! I thought about running into town and getting some kind of chemical stipper, but figurerd by the time I did that, I could just suck it up and get it done the hard way.....
About an hour later it was done, and so was I!!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:20 pm »
No easy task getting things to look like they should, and removing that glue! I have a feeling if there is ever a nuclear holocost, the only things that will survive are cocroaches, and that STINKIN GLUE!! UHG!!  :banghead:

Oni2382

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2015, 11:00:36 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:58:35 pm »
Nice score...looking good so far...This hobby is INSANELY addictive and highly rewarding....I have a Konami cab that I am in the process of working on myself (it was a  3 player violent storm cab but its exactly the same as your simpsons cab )....I'm still looking for another Konami cab to turn into a Dedicated Simpsons cab, I will have to remain patient.
XBL:Mykungfooizgood
PSN: Mykungfooizgud

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:35 am »
Thanks!It is really coming along now.
 Yes I think I might be addicted. I'm already thinking of some "future" projects I'd like to start!!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:20:30 am »
The big thing was to bondo all the edges of the cab. It was pretty beat and I was concerned about the new side art not sitting flush againt a jagged edge. So I filled it all, sanded, filled and repeated until I was happy and most of the lines were straight and the edges were crisp. At that point I wheeled the cab out of my garage and grabbed the can of primer and went to town. I was lucky that day, the day temps were near 70, a rarity for NE Ohio in early April.
I blew through nearly 2 can on primer, and rolled the cab back into the garage to dry.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:32:15 am »
After it dryed, I lightly sanded the entire cab with 150G and then wiped it down with a wet towl to remove all the excess dust and prep it for the new side art.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 12:46:04 am »
At this point the main part of the cab was prepped and ready for the new side art that was on it's way from mamemarquee.com. There was still plenty to do. The CP box was next. The paint on it was rolled on, peeling, and all the corners were rounded. The palm sander and bondo was the solution. A couple of Bondo, sand, bondo sand, cycles the box looked great! Another light sanding with 150 and primer, I painted it with rust oleum high lustre coating spray paint. It turned out fantastic!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 12:55:02 am »
This turned out really nice. The corners are all very crisp and the paint(Rust-Olreum Laquer) worked very well. The paint(for a can) turned out better than excpected. No lines, out evidence of using a can. I used 4ish light coats....

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 01:02:33 am »
Next I started working on the joysticks. The only leaf sw that needed repaired was homer's "forward" sw. I was able to solder on a wire to the broken lead so that I didn't have to replace the leaf sw. I found them kind of hard to locate! Anyone know where replacements can be found? I might someday replace everything with micro-sw and be done with it??
The joy sticks were a mess!! Rusted and crappy looking!
I got out the cordless drill and the mother mini-powerball.
I used mothers aluminum polish and ran the power-ball on each stick for a few minutes. They would only get about 75% clean. I then put the joystick in the vise and buffed and RE-buffed each one until it look BETTER than NEW! About 15min, per stick.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 01:08:20 am »
I'm not sure new ones look THIS good!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 01:26:14 am »
This brings us to the day before yesterday, well the day before Friday as it is not after 1200am on the 4th.
I did the most contriversial thing on the entire game thus far. I drilled holes on the CP for a 3rd button. I eventully want to install several other 4 player games in with a multi jama in this cab. It will require a 3rd button. I may catch greif for doing this but HEY, it's my game RIGHT!?!?!  ;D
Oh well, I still cringed as I drilled the holes. They turned out nice, but were have an inconsistant location on the CP due to the CPO. I didn't want them to cover any of the graphics. ABOUT THIS TIME, MY NEW SIDE ART, MARQUEE, and CPO showed up via the mail man!  ;D
I couldn't wait to look at them! They looked GREAT! Top notch! Mamemaquee.com lived up to its rep in my book. If they read this, how about a DISCOUNT NEXT time!??!  ;D
I was pretty tired from working the better part of the day on this thing so decided NOT to mess with any of the art I put it in an empty room in my house and layed a bunch of books on it to flatten it out.
The last thing I wanted to accomplish for the day was to take the CP to the local glass cutter and have a 1/16th" over lay made for the CP. It did not come with one for a pattern. Probably why the CP was in such rough shape. I took it to them and they said they could make it out of lexon, fit it to size with all the whole drilled for 60$ OUCH!! I went ahead an did it as I thought I'd probably have 50$ worth of broken "attempts" and about a full day trying to make one!! I've never had good luck with plexi, and I know nothing about lexon.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 01:38:53 am »
I woke up yesterday refreshed!  ;D
I figured I'd try and get one side of the cab done. The first thing I did was watch every YouTube video I could fine on how to apply side art. I had NEVER done anything like this before. Now that I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing I took one side and held it up to the side of my cab. Not even CLOSE! I tryed every which way to get all the graphics to fit. THEY WOULD'NT!! So I remember from my hours of sand(probably the only GOOD thing that came from all those hours) that the artwork had been CUT, and placed in section on the side of the cab. I looked back at the pics and saw how they did it. I thought I could do it a bit more efficiently. So with a tape measure and a sharp pair of sicssors I made the nessacary cuts. TALK ABOUT A LEAP OF FAITH! I just paid close to 200$ for this side art and believe me, even the THOUGHT of taking a pair of scissors to it made my skin crawl! THAT on top of the fact I have never done this before made me EXTRA nervous. I took my time and was EXTREAMLY careful! It couldn't have turned out better. The hardest part was cutting the little "strip" for the middle section. I needed to be precise and as hard as I tryed it wasn't square!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:17 am »
Here were my cuts, and tools. On my cell, I dialed 91, and was prepared to hit the extra "1" in case something went terribly wrong!!  :)

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 01:58:36 am »
Next I had to figure out how to get the side art lined up. I'm proud of figuring this out, as I saw it no where on any of the Youtube vids. I turned off the lights in the garage, and opened the door. This gave me a nice "backlight" to see excactly where the decal needed to be placed. I held it up to the cab, positioned it, and blue-taped it into place. I had a horizontal line drawn into place with my speed square so I knew when it was cloase level. I then used the dry method I saw on youtube to put into place. It turned out AWESOME!! The entire process cutting and everthing took me about 2? hours per side.....

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:52 am »
I used a couple brand new exacto-knives, to cut it to fit the cab once it was stuck on the sides

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 02:06:49 am »
Not too bad for not having a CLUE!  ;D
& the other side.....

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 02:22:33 am »
I was pretty happy the way it turned out. I took my time and it paid off. I sat there and just staired at it for a while! :) OH, and had a beer.
The next thing was to swap out the monitor board that came in the mail today. I had some "issues". (see the monitor forum under WG-25K7191 neck board if you are curious) Thanks to the guys there on that forum that are way smarter than me AND have seen all these types of problems before! Without these guys and this website, a newbie like me would have NEVER have even attemted a restore like this!!
THANKS TO ALL!
Anyway here is the new board going in. After some trouble, the machine is up and running. Got the new marquee put in and things looks good to this point!! More updates as more of my "stuff" comes in, and I get a chance to work on it.
Hope everyone has enjoyed this as much as I have!!

Zork2 OUT!

cmoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 03:34:53 am »
First off very nice work, looks to be coming along nicely, not sure why someone painted the cabinet art black, kind of weird.

Anyway, can you shed some light on the buttons that are in the coin return slots on the front?  Never seen that before.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 04:20:05 am »
Yes,
Someone  thought that would be a great spot to hook up free play buttons for each player!  :banghead: I'm going to re-use the actual buttons for my "3rd button". 
Does anyone know what kind of "guts" it will take to get this machine accepting quarters again? The switches are good but all the coin mechanisms are gone and I have nothing to go on.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 04:24:45 am »
Oh, and I think the reason someone painted the graphics is that the cab got really beat up. From my many hours of sanding I noticed that different parts of the original side art was gone. I think it got to the point where it was so ugly, someone figured it would look better painted all black.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 11:13:16 am »
You're doing a nice job!!! Please keep the updates coming. My daughter would love to have a Simpsons cab (it's her favorite game - she's 5).

Coin mechs aren't too hard to find. You can probably find some fairly easily in the BST forum here, over at KLOV, or on ebay. They're fairly universal, but just make sure that they have any posts needed for locking them into place. It sounds like you don't have any but it's always nice if you at least have one to use for comparison. But if you're unsure, you could probably find someone here or at KLOV with a Simpsons cab that can help you figure out what will work for you.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:04 pm »
I've got coin mechs - used quarter mechs, $5.00 each.  New ones $10.00 each.  Used .900" token mechs, $5.00 each.

As for the project, I liked the black, but a proper resto definitely needs to be blue!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 01:25:29 pm »
Someone needs to grab those sticker peeling photos up there and turn them into animated GIF avatars.  ;D
NO MORE!!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 06:00:20 pm »
SirPeale can you PM me? I am  possibly interested in purchasing a few of your used coin mechanisms.

Not too much to update on my progress. Mostly I have been waiting for my parts to come in. And my router bits to finish the T-molding slot on the CP where I used bondo to fill the broken corner.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 06:05:25 pm »
I did manage to clean up the bezel and get the rusty bold polished and painted black. I then was able to put the rear access dorr back on. I know, I didn't restore the rear door. I thought it gave it a bit more "authentic" look. Plus it will be up againt a wall and I'm just too lazy to do it when no one will see it!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 06:13:52 pm »
So with the rusty bolts cleaned up, the local glass dealer called and said my lexan CP cover was done. It looked good for the most part. It will take a couple minor adjustment to get it to fit properly. Here it is sitting on the CP.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »
Here is it is so far. Still needs a lot of the details and the CP and CPO installed but it is coming together!

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 03:01:04 am »
So with the rusty bolts cleaned up, the local glass dealer called and said my lexan CP cover was done. It looked good for the most part. It will take a couple minor adjustment to get it to fit properly. Here it is sitting on the CP.

So did the local dealer cut it to exact size with curves and all?  Also did they put the holes in it?  Can I ask you what it all cost?

By the way, it is looking very good.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 08:23:33 am »
It's looking really good, great job! I take it that monitor you picked up on ebay for $60.00 came in (nice score BTW) Oh and I like your workshop setup, reminds me of mine... everything in its place nice and neat, makes doing work so much easier when you can find what you need when you need it.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »
Thanks guys for the good words.
 I just build that workbench about a month ago, yes it makes a HUGE difference! Now the key will be keeping it that way! I'm finally getting my tool collection closer to where it needs to be. I have a feeling THAT will be a life long project!

To answer a your questions, yep the monitor came in. Swapped it out, had to make a few adjustments, and dummy me  broke a part on the "neck" taking the old one off. Luckily it didn't affect anything.  Works like a charm. I think I'm going to sell the old one as not working on ebay.

Yeah the glass cutter cut everything to size. Like I said they did a nice job, it is made out of lexan. It was 60$, which was PRICEY I thought, but due to the cuts, and holes, I thought I'd end up having that much in broken "attempts". Maybe not, but I just didn't feel like messing with it. It has 40 holes and the corners cut. A couple of the joysitck mount holes are not "Excact" and I'm going to have to oversize a couple of the holes on the CP to get them all to line up I think??

Other than that, no updates today. I am waiting on my router bits so I can cut the slot for the T-molding in the bondo on the CP. Once my bits show up, I've got some practicing to do as I have zero.zero experience with using a router. I want to cut that slot before I put the CPO on and re-mount the joysticks and buttons.

That and I'm waiting on my new yellow T-molding, and some of the other details to show up from twistedquarter.com.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 06:11:48 am »
Quick update
My computer has been on the fritz the past couple days. So sorry no pics today.
This project is nearing completion.
I finished up the CP on Friday, it turned out GREAT! The T-molding and rest of the details are finished as well, the machine is looking really good, it doesn't even look like the same machine! :)
I'll post some new pics as soon as I can.
I spent a couple hours yesterday getting th machine ready for the new coin mechanims to show up, also wiring in 4 service credit buttons, one for each player. They are mounted behind the coin door instead of in the coin return slot.
Only things left are wiring in a new power cord, as the old one looks like someone cut an old extention cord and used it as the power cord, wire in a toggle on/off switch, and install the coin mechanisms once they show up.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 03:54:49 pm »
Well I finally got my computer/camera situation fixed, so are here are the last of my restoration pics.....
Enjoy!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 03:56:52 pm »
More

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:57 pm »
Just about done!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 04:06:50 pm »
FINALLY DONE AND MOVED INTO ITS NEW HOME!!! Now I'm ready for another project!
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way!!

OTTOgd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2019, 10:45:16 pm
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
Nice job, it looks great! Thanks for sharing.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2009, 01:11:26 pm »
Did you get your slot cutters at Harbor Freight?  They look to be 1/4" shank.  What type of router did you use them in? 

I ask because the ones I have seen there say rated at 16,000 RPM.  My Ryobi router runs at 25,000 RPM.  I wasn't sure if I should use them so didn't pick them up.  When I look online for slot cutters they never give a RPM rating.  I wasn't sure how important it was. 

Can you tell me what you used them in and did you have any problems?

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »
Yep, got the slot cutters at Harbor Freight. I used a Ryobi router, no problems what so ever.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2009, 08:23:28 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I will be picking some up.

Cabs look great by the way.

xtommyboy22x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2009, 02:32:59 pm
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:29 pm »
Oh my God!!!! I have to own the Simpsons one day!!!! Along with TMNT and XMEN

patchboston

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 09:31:04 am
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 07:25:35 am »
great thread! I'm on my way now to pick up a "tekken" that was housed in the same cab. It looks like artwork is still there, but covered up by paint..can't tell if it's a simpsons/tmnt/sunset riders, etc.,etc.

Here's to hoping its a tmnt or simpsons! Either way its going to become one of those two
Own: Pac-man, TMNT, P.O.W.