Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Front Line  (Read 6706 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Front Line
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:00 pm »
Picked this one up last year but finally got some time to work on it.  Actually, I was forced to work on it because the joystick stopped working.

Overall in excellent shape.  Stencils are available if I wanted to repaint this, but really, it's too nice to bother.  Some scratches here and there but not enough to justify a full repaint.

It looks good next to the green one:

Believe it or not, this was the game that I considered my Grail.  It was the game that took the most quarters from me back in the day.  Probably out of location mostly as this and Super Cobra were in the motel lobby right near my house.  Actually, they were outside under a covered roof.  Not a game I see come up for sale often.  When this one was advertised locally at an auction for a place that was going out of business, I was all over it.

Overlay is the only real problem.  It's been torn up and someone tried to touch it up with some paint but it doesn't look too good.  I was able to track down a new overlay.

It's an inkjet overlay, but it was done by Archer Maclean and the quality is top notch.  Not your typical inkjet work.

There are a few of these still available, so if anyone needs one I'll pass on the contact to you

I also picked up a NOS fire button decal as the one on the game was completely faded.  It's an important piece as you need to know what direction you are firing. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:31:12 pm by Spyridon »
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
Re: Front Line
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:27:28 pm »
Now back to the issue I mentioned with the joystick.  Acutally, it's really the aim/fire button contraption that was the problem.  It's a unique controller in which you turn it 360 degrees to choose your firing direction and then you puch it in to fire.  Takes some getting used too to be efficient with it.  It turned fine for me, but would stick when pushed in.  You had to manually pull it up to release it.  Made rapid fireing an impossibility.

I pulled the control panel to see what was going on.  Here is what the unit looks like:

and once removed from the control panel

I think it just needs a good cleaning and some lubrication.  Time to disassemble it.

I found out the hard way that there are two ballbearings in the shaft shown in this picture. One on each side of the spring mechanisum

Unless you need to replace them, don't turn the spinner with all the screws out as these pop out and are a PITA to get back in place.

I used some white lithium grease to lube this thing up

Put it back together and tested it out.  It returned back to the correct position when pushed in.  Now that it seemed to be working correctly, I installed it back into the control panel.

Played a game and it is working great!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:33:21 pm by Spyridon »
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:04:45 pm »
Looks great! This is one of my favorite games as well. We used to play it in the lobby of a diner near where I grew up.
I've tried a couple of times to get a decent control compromise working in MAME, but never did anything I was happy with. Maybe someday I'll get a push spinner so I can play it right.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:53:50 pm »
Looks great! This is one of my favorite games as well. We used to play it in the lobby of a diner near where I grew up.
I've tried a couple of times to get a decent control compromise working in MAME, but never did anything I was happy with. Maybe someday I'll get a push spinner so I can play it right.

Yeah, I tried this one in MAME as well.  Totally unplayable.  Let me know when you want to make the 2 hour drive (maybe a little less) to come up and play it.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:46:33 pm »
Loved this game as a kid.... loads of fun and the replay value is very high in my book.   

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:46 pm »

Yeah, I tried this one in MAME as well.  Totally unplayable.  Let me know when you want to make the 2 hour drive (maybe a little less) to come up and play it.

Thanks Spyridon, thats a very nice offer!  :cheers:

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:51:47 am »
Looks great. Can we see a screen shot too?

This is one of those games where being 10 or 11 years old, I just got ---my bottom--- blown within seconds. Is it very fun? How does the game progress?
NO MORE!!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »
Looks great. Can we see a screen shot too?

This is one of those games where being 10 or 11 years old, I just got ---my bottom--- blown within seconds. Is it very fun? How does the game progress?

Only ones I had available right now:

From KLOV:

This game is very fun and challenging.  You have to get used to the control mechanism.  There is also some strategy.  Do I jump in the slower big tank that can get hit twice before exploading, or do I take the quicker, more nimble small tank that can only take one hit?

After you compete the first level it starts over but at a higher difficulty.  I'm guessing if you got good enough it would become repetative, but I'm nowhere near good enough for that.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:21 am »
Finally getting some time to work on this.  Time to replace the old control panel overlay.

First step is to remove the panel

Remove all the controls

Heat gun and a scraper makes quick work of the old overlay

A coating of Citristrip will take off the adhesive that was left behind.

Next up is to remove any rust and prime the panel.  Carriage bolts will need to be sanded and then I will paint them brown to match the panel.  This will be my first use of an ink jet repro so we'll see how well it goes on.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:44:55 am by Spyridon »

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:06:19 pm »
This was one of my favorites as a 'kid' too and as a matter of fact, just tried it in MAME today.  It doesn't look to be configurable for a spinner.  I guess because the original was an 8 way click spinner?

I tried setting it up so that my left joystick controlled my movement and the right joy controlled my aim (similar to Robotron).  I configured the two closest buttons to the right joy (aim) to be fire/grenade.  Not ideal, of course, but I was able to finish the first screen on my 2nd attempt.

I imagine a trigger joy with at least 2 buttons would work as well, assuming you don't have the push spinner.

BTW, I'm in PA too, about 45 min. from Philly.  Maybe we can carpool?   ;)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:23 am »
This was one of my favorites as a 'kid' too and as a matter of fact, just tried it in MAME today.  It doesn't look to be configurable for a spinner.  I guess because the original was an 8 way click spinner?

Yeah, not a real good way to set this up for Mame.  Do a search as I think I remember a post from someone who developed a way to replicate the spinner.

BTW, I'm in PA too, about 45 min. from Philly.  

What town?

isucamper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:12 am »
Just wanted to add this game plays pretty well in MAME with a rotary joystick and a GPWiz40, even though it's not authentic.  Only problem is your aim reseting in between rounds and when you die. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:43:05 am »

Yeah, not a real good way to set this up for Mame.  Do a search as I think I remember a post from someone who developed a way to replicate the spinner.

BTW, I'm in PA too, about 45 min. from Philly.  

What town?

Skippack, near Lansdale

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:48:35 am »

Skippack, near Lansdale

Cool, you're only about an hour from me.  One of my classmates from Wharton lived there.  I used to drop him off on my way home.

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:22 am »

Skippack, near Lansdale

Cool, you're only about an hour from me.  One of my classmates from Wharton lived there.  I used to drop him off on my way home.

As they say...it's a small world.   :D

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:07 pm »
Okay, back on this project   :applaud:

Control panel was striped down and painted

I'll be working with an ink jet overlay which is new for me.  This is still a very high quality reproduction.

It's not die cut so lining it up took a little patience.  I cut sections of the holes out so I could line it up correctly

Once applied, I used an exacto knife to trip away the remaining hole sections and the spots for the carriage bolts

Next, I used a wire brush attachment on my dremel to clean out the crud in the crevices of the spinner control.  After that, it was time to remove the old faded direction label

I was surprised to see that underneath the label was also marked with a directional indicator.

Add one NOS label

and now you can actually read what it says

Controls added back in and three new white buttons

Installed on the machine

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »
Comparison of the old and new control panels

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:58 pm »
How do you think that inkjet print will hold up to sweaty hands and such?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40:08 am »
How do you think that inkjet print will hold up to sweaty hands and such?

It seems just as tough as some of the screened prints I've used.

Superully

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2016, 02:48:27 am
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 03:22:32 am »
great job :applaud: i love those taito cabs next to each other