Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: In the Zone  (Read 3928 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
In the Zone
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:35:41 am »
I will be picking this up Saturday unless the arcade gods intervene in some crazy-ass way (which as been known to happen).  Keep your fingers crossed.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: In the Zone
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:31:12 am »
Nothing would stop me from getting that......well almost nothing ;)

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:04 am »

Yeah!  Battlezone is on my very short list of specific wants.  I have yet to come across one within my usual price range, though.

orion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:53 am »
Ohhhhh..... now that's nice. Battlezone is in my top 3 favorites of all time. I have been keeping an eye out for one for years now. I almost had one that I found on ebay, but got out bid by $1.00 on in the last second. I really hate ebay sometimes. Great score!

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:57:02 am »
Dang I thought this was going to be something about Twilight Zone...  ;D

Sweet find though! I've never played BattleZone on a dedicated cabinet, but playing it in MAME is always great. Good luck!
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:07:28 am »

Sweet find though! I've never played BattleZone on a dedicated cabinet, but playing it in MAME is always great. Good luck!

you wouldn't think that if you have ever played it on a dedicated cabinet. It would be impractical to dedicate two top firing joysticks on a mame cab just for battlezone in most setups and you can't replicate looking though the viewfinder (or whatever they call it) in mame, which to me makes this game pretty submersive.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:24 am »

you wouldn't think that if you have ever played it on a dedicated cabinet. It would be impractical to dedicate two top firing joysticks on a mame cab just for battlezone in most setups and you can't replicate looking though the viewfinder (or whatever they call it) in mame, which to me makes this game pretty submersive.

Oh yeah! Im sure its a hundred times better. I've never had a chance to play the deal real considering the fact that the game is ten years older than me. I would definitely jump on the chance to play one in the wild though.
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:17:11 am »
you can't replicate looking though the viewfinder (or whatever they call it) in mame, which to me makes this game pretty submersive.
LOL

I think you meant immersive.  ;)
NO MORE!!

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:19:52 pm »
Love Battlezone......

The control panel looks to be in good shape which is a plus.

Does it still have the front step?
(I know, odd question, but you'd be surprised how many I've seen missing it)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
you can't replicate looking though the viewfinder (or whatever they call it) in mame, which to me makes this game pretty submersive.
LOL

I think you meant immersive.  ;)

Right!!!!  ;D  Ones of des days I a gonna learns hows to speak reals purdy!  :-X

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »

Oh yeah! Im sure its a hundred times better. I've never had a chance to play the deal real considering the fact that the game is ten years older than me. I would definitely jump on the chance to play one in the wild though.

You would love it, I hope one day you do!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:54:02 pm »

Funny, the game developers actually didn't want that viewfinder because it blocks the view for on-watchers. I think it was one of the reasons for the game's succes however, although many other games had the same thing, mostly submarine games (even mechanic one's).

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »
Funny, the game developers actually didn't want that viewfinder because it blocks the view for on-watchers. I think it was one of the reasons for the game's succes however, although many other games had the same thing, mostly submarine games (even mechanic one's).

That's what the small clear side windows are for.  ;D

And you will find BZ's without the entire "periscope" style bezel...... but I think they look and play oddly myself.
(and of course I can't find a picture of one at the moment, their not super common)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »
And you will find BZ's without the entire "periscope" style bezel...... but I think they look and play oddly myself.
(and of course I can't find a picture of one at the moment, their not super common)

The cabaret style cabs didn't have the "periscope"

Here's a full size one without it

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:39 pm »
Thanks Spyridon ......

Yeah, none of the cabarets had any kind of periscope bezel that I know of.

Duh, just realized the non-periscope version you posted was a pic from KLOV..... I just did a basic image google and didn't even come across that one. I never even thought to just look there.
 :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:32:47 pm by Kevin Mullins »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:17:13 pm »
I ended up passing on this BZ.  The condition wasn't what I expected and the seller is inflexible on price.  He wants $325.00... I offered $200 based on the condition... he went to $300 but wouldn't budge.  I'd have done $250 at the most but I saw it was useless trying to barter with him.  He's firm on that price and,  well,  it's not in $300 condition (IMHO).  The monitor has a wave to it,  it's dirty as all hell,  the black light is out,  marquee is out,  monitor only has a green overlay (no red/orange)...

I ended up picking up this instead:

Which,  evidently, is also part pinball:

Monitor needs to be rebuilt:

But the guns work good...

I've already pulled the chassis and will be rebuilding it tonight or tomorrow night.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)