Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Mame Project...all New to me of course. New computer parts!!  (Read 14740 times)

Expressline99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
Well I've got my hands deep into a Mame project...one of which doesn't have a name yet.  Paul Olson here has been helping me out since November with it. (thanks man!)

I bought a Jamma cabinet with a 25" WG monitor that used to have tekken tag in it. Directly after which I also bought a ton of supplies from our good friend Andy over at ultimarc. Tons of buttons, a spinner, couple of joysticks, a jpac, a uhid, that led controller board thing (I forget the model) and a bunch of other odds and ends. Probably overkill but I get all excited at the thought of a new project / obsession.  As well, some t-molding, a router bit for setting it....some how I convinced myself that I wanted to do the Car amp/car speaker with a computer power supply. So I bought a car amp and a commercial volume control (it was pretty cheap) from partsexpress.  

Somewhere along the way while thinking about my project my son decided to be born (1/28/09) things went on hold for a couple of months there leading up to that...and now almost another 2 afterwords.

Now here I am and I think I've done enough to start talking about it. Which I hope will get me to complete it.

So far the cabinet has been painted and new t-molding has been applied.  I removed all the old controls as well as the CP that was mounted. It had a metal CP with plexi over it. There were too many holes in it to change it around to meet my needs for spacing.  The CP has a strange Almost wide Flat bottomed V shape to it.  On the CP I have
finished my cardboard mock up tonight. So I finally got to see my controls mounted  :applaud:

I've attached the pictures of the CP as it sits tonight.

After reading quite a bit about monitors I also put a CAP kit in on the monitor. That was something else that was new to me. The part I liked was the rubber gloves/eye protection/a big screw driver and some grounding wire. Wife should have got a picture of that.

But anyhow. I hope to perhaps make up the real CP this weekend at least the routing and drilling.  
So thanks for the input in advance.

Paul Baygents....(Paul # 2 in Reno, NV I guess)  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:24:16 pm by Expressline99 »

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
Re: New Mame Project...all New to me of course.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:39:39 am »
I love it. Everyone has their own way of making a panel, and I think you are doing a great job. Just one thing. That spinner has to move. Imagine your buddy puts a game of golden tee on, and decides he is going to go for the long drive. BAAAMM, ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- OUCH, and you are helping him re set a broken finger. Just a thought:-) other than that it kicks butt.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:31:35 pm »
I do have some wood shims and some duct tape...but you are probably right. I'll have to move that sucker.  I'm also planning to put coin-in buttons and a couple of control buttons on the CP box somewhere.  Might even try to do a pinball setup on the Box.  But with the strange angles I don't know if its workable or not.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:22:47 pm »
Well, I might put the spinner on the Left side of the CP to the Left of the 1st player start button. Its either that or the right side of the board same area....any ideas?

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:45:55 pm »
Well I thought I would add a few pictures. First a picture of just before I bought it. Then some current pictures.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »
Here are a couple more pictures. Also the last pictures are of the Jamma connector. Might as well be in the post for reference.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:55:47 pm »
I'm going to include more information here on my monitor just to have here for everyone with a
Wells Gardner 25k7193. This is as per the chassis. The monitor itself has markings showing 7179.
The chassis PCB is marked P538. The Remote adjustment board is marked: P802

I have installed a Cap Kit from The Real Bob Roberts website:  (Thanks Bob!)
http://homearcade.org/BBBB/

Link to the cap kit on his site. The cap kit covers several models in the K7XXX series of Wells Gardner monitors. This link explains that.
http://homearcade.org/BBBB/k7000.html

Also I cleaned off the front of the monitor...mind you 20 years of gunk is normally built up on these because they are behind a sheet of glass or Plexi.  Sounds simple but its amazing how dirty they are.  One of the first things the Saint mentions in his book. (Thank you Saint!)

Do not clean the back of your monitor...at best if you feel you must use compressed air.

If you decide you are going to muck around behind your monitor or move it around...you should discharge your monitor! If you don't you could be shocked and or killed.

I also found a link on the board here for the monitor manual covering the K7000 series:

http://www.jstookey.com/arcade/WG_25k7191/ Lots of useful information on Jake's website.
Thanks Jake.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:19:17 pm »
With no other input I'll be placing the spinner on the left hand side. Using the player 1 joystick buttons with it.
Seems OK to me....anyone with bad or otherwise experience with that location?

z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2022, 01:14:24 pm
  • there will always be one more thing to tweak
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:36 pm »
Do you plan on switching the buttons for spinner games in mame or will you switch them with the jpac?  Just thinking if the spinner is on the player one side (left side looking at your earlier mock up pictures) you may want to be able to use the right side (player 2) buttons for spinner games.  I set my cab up this way so I could keep my body and eyes centered on the cabinet, left hand on spinner on left side, right hand on right side buttons.  If you put the spinner on the right side then you are already set, the player one buttons are set for the opposite hand.  Just another preference thing think about (are you used to a spinner on the left, are you right or left handed..?), your system will adapt to whichever you want.

I like the looks of what you are putting together and appreciate the quality of pics in your post, it makes it easier to answer questions or in this case give humble suggestions.

Z
Lifetime Student at   Arcademic Hall  (uprights with a minor in cocktails)

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:17:47 am »
Do you plan on switching the buttons for spinner games in mame or will you switch them with the jpac?  Just thinking if the spinner is on the player one side (left side looking at your earlier mock up pictures) you may want to be able to use the right side (player 2) buttons for spinner games.  I set my cab up this way so I could keep my body and eyes centered on the cabinet, left hand on spinner on left side, right hand on right side buttons.  If you put the spinner on the right side then you are already set, the player one buttons are set for the opposite hand.  Just another preference thing think about (are you used to a spinner on the left, are you right or left handed..?), your system will adapt to whichever you want.

I like the looks of what you are putting together and appreciate the quality of pics in your post, it makes it easier to answer questions or in this case give humble suggestions.

Z

The switching will be done using Mame.  Well to be honest I don't recall how I played the spinner games.  But you are correct using the right side of the CP will set me up in front of my screen better.  I'm right handed so I don't know for sure what to do. But like you said if I want to switch hands on the buttons that could be done from the right side as well. 

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to include as many photos as I can and information about the project/parts even if I don't need help on certain parts of it.  Might help someone later if they are searching for information on individual parts/models.  Plus its like a journal entry of what I was doing at the time.

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:50 pm »
Back to left vs right:  If you want to try to recreate the arcade feel then take a look at the cab for the spinner game you plan on playing the most and follow that lead.  I think Tempest has the spinner on the right, Arkanoid has it in the middle (not much help), Tron has it on the left (with the Tron stick on the right).

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
Hey Paul,
I finally found your thread! The paint job turned out nice; I may just have to paint mine one of these days. My favorite non-Tron spinner game is Tempest, so I would put the spinner on the right. Like someone already mentioned, set it up for your favorite - if you don't remember a favorite, set it up for mine.  ;D  Don't set it up for Tron because that game will never feel right without a dedicated setup. Next time you stop by, remind me to throw the Tron panel on so you can see the difference.

OK, get back to work, you are close to playing now so quit reading this forum and get it finished.  :) If you haven't finished the software setup yet, MAME recently hit .130.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:16 am »
Hey Paul,
I finally found your thread! The paint job turned out nice; I may just have to paint mine one of these days. My favorite non-Tron spinner game is Tempest, so I would put the spinner on the right. Like someone already mentioned, set it up for your favorite - if you don't remember a favorite, set it up for mine.  ;D  Don't set it up for Tron because that game will never feel right without a dedicated setup. Next time you stop by, remind me to throw the Tron panel on so you can see the difference.

OK, get back to work, you are close to playing now so quit reading this forum and get it finished.  :) If you haven't finished the software setup yet, MAME recently hit .130.

Ya the sad part is I haven't looked at the software since I set that up in Novemeber. So I'm sure I'll have to get in there and upgrade and go over everything again. I've already forgotten all the navagation buttons. 

Getting excited for sure.  It's really funny how simple advances on the thing make me so happy. Today I got the last ten feet of t-molding for the base. (I didn't notice before that it was 1 inch instead of the 3/4" like the rest.) But I had it on there in no time.

It came to my attention while looking around the forums that putting in a shelf above the power supplies in the bottom is needed. I don't really want to mount the mainboard on the side of the unit. So I've  got to glue/screw up some side rails. But before all that I want to nail down this spinner issue. 

But then again I've got lots of little issues to work with.

Ok I can't take it anymore. Here is my shameless baby picture.  This is our new son Dylan born 1/28/09
I'm completely sure that he is going to be building his first bartop mame soon.

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 12:55:47 am »
Born 1/28 and you're already back into the project full time?  No wonder his shirt mentions mommy instead of daddy  :)

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 12:19:20 pm »
Well, Baby gets tons of Daddy time.  Soon Mommy gets to go back to work...so my son gets to stay with his Grandmother. Should be interesting to say the least.

Anyway. I wonder if there is any hardware I can use to fasten the motherboard shelf down with that will allow me to remove it later to work on the power supplies?  :dunno

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 04:23:38 pm »
congrats on the baby and the cabinet...    getting time to work on a cabinet isn't that bad with only 1 child...but once the second one comes around, forget about it. my oldest son is 2 and my youngest is 3months, and even though they both take afternoon naps, they very rarely happen at the same time...and even then i can't run the noisy power tools.   It took me weeks to build a new control panel that should have taken 2 days.

good luck with the build
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:12 am »
congrats on the baby and the cabinet...    getting time to work on a cabinet isn't that bad with only 1 child...but once the second one comes around, forget about it. my oldest son is 2 and my youngest is 3months, and even though they both take afternoon naps, they very rarely happen at the same time...and even then i can't run the noisy power tools.   It took me weeks to build a new control panel that should have taken 2 days.

good luck with the build

Thanks, not sure about the second one thing yet. We waited to have this one. So if there is going to be a 2ND one it will have to be in the next 2 years or so.  (late/mid 30's currently) Things get scary after 40. But anyway back to the cabinet.

I'm ready to drill and route out the control panel. So exciting times are coming! Maybe this weekend! So more pictures later on here. Thanks for the support.

brock.sampson

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2018, 10:11:41 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
Well, Baby gets tons of Daddy time.  Soon Mommy gets to go back to work...so my son gets to stay with his Grandmother. Should be interesting to say the least.

Anyway. I wonder if there is any hardware I can use to fasten the motherboard shelf down with that will allow me to remove it later to work on the power supplies?  :dunno

I mounted the board  for my mobo vertically and use some inserts like the pic attached.  Sure you could do something similiar horizontally.  Glue some blocks to the sides of the cab to support the board and then put the inserts into the blocks.  You could probably get away with using some industrial velcro on the blocks too.
DOC! YOU HAVE A TABLE OVER THERE WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS, "LASER DEATH RAY BARGAIN BIN!"

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 01:02:32 pm »

I mounted the board for my mobo vertically and use some inserts like the pic attached.  Sure you could do something similiar horizontally.  Glue some blocks to the sides of the cab to support the board and then put the inserts into the blocks.  You could probably get away with using some industrial velcro on the blocks too.
[/quote]

This might work out great. I was thinking about a latch system but it wouldn't be very often that I would need to take that mounting shelf out.  Do you think I would need to put a couple of fans under it to move air around the power supplies? I'll have 3 down there. 2 computer PS and the PS for the monitor.  Shelf height should be a consideration and probably not a front to back length shelf for air flow.

brock.sampson

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2018, 10:11:41 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 01:51:01 pm »
Each power supply already has a fan already seems like it would be overkill.  Put some vents in the bottom to draw in cool air and vents in the top to exhaust the warm air.
DOC! YOU HAVE A TABLE OVER THERE WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS, "LASER DEATH RAY BARGAIN BIN!"

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 02:46:46 pm »
When I upgraded the computer in mine, I just put it in a case. I had the old one mounted to a piece of plywood that I hung on a screw in the side of the cabinet. Every time I forget to close the back door of the cabinet, the stupid cat climbs in there, so I figured the case was safer for the computer. Not sure how to make it safer for the cat though,; at least he hasn't tried to investigate the monitor yet.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 05:30:40 pm »
When I upgraded the computer in mine, I just put it in a case. I had the old one mounted to a piece of plywood that I hung on a screw in the side of the cabinet. Every time I forget to close the back door of the cabinet, the stupid cat climbs in there, so I figured the case was safer for the computer. Not sure how to make it safer for the cat though,; at least he hasn't tried to investigate the monitor yet.

It seems there was a mounted sheet of plywood on the side for the jamma board but someone stripped it off.
I do think I want to mount an extra board over the middle of the cabinet though.  I like the idea of the screws with the inserts in the side rails.   

On another note: I have forstner bits in the sizes of 1 inch and 1 1/8" inch.  I have to do some practice holes for the buttons I guess. One post I read on here said something about the hole ending up 1/8th inch larger than the bit? So that is something I'll have to mess around with.  Might also get the monitor mounted this weekend.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »
OK, I've got everything mounted on the CP control wise.  Wiring isn't done but that's next so that is exciting.
I also did the t-molding on the CP. The cool part is I can sit in my living room....with my wife and do the wiring to the PAC, LED's and the u-hid.

Haterot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2012, 09:27:41 am
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:59 am »
looks real good. With the spinner on the left do you feel there's enough Cp under your hand for a comfortable play session? Looks small to me and a little crowded but then i got big meat hooks for hands.  :angry:
Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15:20 pm »
looks real good. With the spinner on the left do you feel there's enough Cp under your hand for a comfortable play session? Looks small to me and a little crowded but then i got big meat hooks for hands.  :angry:

Well I think there is. Space on the CP was limited by the box...which I'm sure in the future I'll build another one.
So the spinner will have to work there for now....plus that's where I drilled the hole.  :) Next challenge is to get it wired up.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »
Looks like it is coming along nicely. I always enjoy the wiring; have fun!  :applaud:

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:59:42 pm »
Ok I'm back and the cab is coming along. I'm trying to configure a trackball on my u-hid. which I understand
how to configure the pins on the board using u-config. However, I can't get the trackball to do anything. I've
even tried reversing the quadrature pins on the pairs. I know I've got the +5 volts and grounds properly wired
and do have the x and y pairs at least together...thus the reversing and non-reverse configuration.

Currently I do have a ps2 mouse connected to the machine. Will this interfere? And should the mouse cursor move
when rolling the trackball? Right now it does nothing. Also using Xp Home on this machine.

And I've messed up Mala to the point it loads the list then will dump with errors after selecting a game. But thats
another issue for later.

I'll update some with some pics later on. The machine is put together for the most part. Monitor installed and soft15k working with the Jpac. Anyway I'm excited to be back!

Paul B.
Reno

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 10:28:30 pm »
Ok so I've got a problem with my Suzo trackball. It pulls off the High so it doesn't work with the U-hid. Andy and I have bounced back and forth with a few emails to identify this problem. So if you happen to have a trackball that is an older Suzo/happ It probably has this issue. Resolutions are to (A) buy an Opti-pac as this board will work with both high and low pulling trackballs. (B) Buy a new trackball that pulls from the low. Or if you wish buy a trackball that connects directly to a USB port....

I actually had to choose to buy a new 2 1/4" trackball from happ and also I bought an opti-pac... Reason for buying a new trackball? Well, old one didn't spin great and...I had already cut a huge hole for the mounting plate on my CP. Reason for the opti-pac? I'm not taking any chances... when the gear gets here I will be able to hook it up no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT its going to work. 

Aside from that I'm trying to find a good standard res Layout for Mala...one where I might be able to see at least the snaps and be able to read the full name of the Rom.

Ideas?

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:18 pm »
Well, I got my opti-pac installed with my new happ trackball tonight 2 1/4".

Also I made an LED to light it (translucent red ball) I used a 5mm White LED 3.6 Volt. 20mA 1100mcd with a
470-ohm resistor soldered inline to drop the voltage. I connected this to a 12volt line from one of the computer power supplies. Pictures to Follow As soon as I can find the camera! Wife took the good one with her...for the weekend away from me.... It has to be here somewhere!

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 12:35:56 am »
Well found camera...sans working batteries so Perhaps tomorrow I'll snag a bunch of pictures.

BUT! I got my Spintrak connected and working great. I chose the heavy flyweight for it. Works
wonderful in Arkanoid After dropping the sensitivity in Mame a bit. So at this point all my
controls work...all lights work.

Cap kit that was installed in the monitor worked well also....now I just need to figureout the
ART end of things and of course I'm considering upgrading the CPU its OK but I've run into
several games that just don't work well. 

Its bad when the company gets excited upon seeing the Mame machine...then is shut down
because their favorite game runs choppy.  :'(

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »
Some updated pictures. The CP of course.

Under that the system buttons. I've got Player one coin in, Center button is an exit button, then Player 2
coin in. I do have the coin door wired up to accept coins via player one coin in. I think pretty soon I will
be adding another button there for Pause. I'm getting tired of having a keyboard outside of the system
ready for that purpose.

That wiring mess you see is inside the CP. It was quite a bit more neat and clean...however due to
my trouble shooting lots of the cable staples I used got pulled out.... making it more messy.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:28:28 pm by Expressline99 »

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 09:54:54 pm »
More pics.

Top: Shows computer power supply mounted using Plastic Plumbers tape...It didn't have any tabs for screws
so that was my best option that I could see. The CDROM is mounted there and the HD underneath it. All these
pictures are from the coin door looking in.

Middle: Shows the J-Pac on the left side Connected to most controls. On the right side you can see my opti-pac the only thing it is connected to is the HAPP 2 1/4" trackball.

Bottom: This is the sound setup I chose. You can see the extra computer power supply (which needs to be modified
has too many extra wires left). This power supply actually had tabs for screws so was much easier to mount. Under that the 12volt car stereo amp and in front of that the volume control (this is a commercial unit..not expensive maybe 25$ I think.) Since its just inside the coin door its easy to reach in and adjust.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:36:12 pm by Expressline99 »

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
Re: New Mame Project...all New to me of course. New pictures added.
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »
I know I need to add some close ups...but not sure what to add here. What else should I get some pics of? Anything, else someone would like
to see?

Paul

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
Re: New Mame Project...all New to me of course. New pictures added.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »
I need to add some art and a marquee to this thing. Think I can get some KI2 or KI graphics sized to fit this odd cab?

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
Re: New Mame Project...all New to me of course. New computer parts!!
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:21 pm »
New computer parts! woohooo!  I bought the following to change out the p4 2.54GHZ machine currently in there.

CPU = e6300 Wolfdale (not conroe) 2.8GHZ LGA775
Motherboard = ASUS P5Q-EM
RAM = Corsair 1GB x 2 CM2X1024-6400C5DHX 800MHz   5-5-5-18 XMS2-6400
CPU heat sink = Cooler Master V8
Power supply = Rosewill 450 watt RD450-2DB Model Number SL-8460BTX

Plan is to do some bench tests first to see what I'm currently getting compared to this stock
then compared to OC'D

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
So it's been 5 years and a couple of weeks since I bought the parts in the previous post...and there is a new child. The first one is 5 almost 6 now. 2nd child just turned 2 in September.

The parts in the previous post just got installed plus I upgraded the HD to a SSD. Since they basically have gone commercial since the last time I worked on this thing!

Anyhow, the machine is working but I have an arcade monitor issue. The top of the screen is rolled over on itself. It's a wells 25k7193.
Seems I had this problem when I started? I don't recall. Anyhow, I'm BAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Paul

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »
So has anyone had issues with mixing dram that has different timing? I've ordered a 2nd set that is xms2-6400 but the timing is different it's 4-4-4-12 . When I place this set in with the first set (5-5-5-18) I get black screen on post and it won't boot.

If I place just these in the system it boots fine but when I mix it won't boot. Maybe just my mistake and I'll have to buy matched timing dram?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 11:00:24 pm »
So has anyone had issues with mixing dram that has different timing? I've ordered a 2nd set that is xms2-6400 but the timing is different it's 4-4-4-12 . When I place this set in with the first set (5-5-5-18) I get black screen on post and it won't boot.

If I place just these in the system it boots fine but when I mix it won't boot. Maybe just my mistake and I'll have to buy matched timing dram?

What timings are being used when running both sets ?? -- the 4-4-4-12 is a bit faster than the 5-5-5-18 so you should set the timings manually in the Bios to those of the slower modules (can do so by removing the one set and booting into BIOS - manually set the timings and save - shut down and add the second set (it should keep the manualy set timings) and might fix the problem (assuming you are using auto settings it may be setting them to the faster Ram modules spec causing the slower ones to not work correctly. Also be sure the matched sets are in matched color slots on your MOBO.

The Timings are what the RAM has been tested to perform at so some modules will not run at a faster setting (otherwise they would have passed the test for the faster timings and been binned differently as the faster timing they can handle the more they can be sold for !) but any module should be able to handle a slower timing (at the rated speed and with the proper voltage) If that doesn't work then you might try increasing the voltage by one step in the Bios as well and see if that helps (Some older MOBOs had voltage droops if using all 4 modules so might require a small bump in the voltage setting to accomodate for that.)

EDIT : Just looked at some Newegg specs for the Corsair XMS2 modules and it looks like the 4-4-4-12 modules are 2.1V and the 5-5-5-18 modules are rated at 1.9V so it may be a voltage problem if youes are the same -- Hopefully the 4-4-4-12 modules will run at 1.9V with the slower 5-5-5-18 timings ( many times they increase the voltage rating to get iffy modules to pass faster timing tests so they may be the same modules just with the increase in voltage rating to allow the faster timing setting to be stable. (As i mentioned earlier companies can sell faster timed modules for more $ so they pull some shady things to get those timing boosts !)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:21:09 pm by JDFan »

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »
I tried voltages 1.80v and 1.90v as my older set was marked 1.80v that didn't work and also set the timing to 5-5-5-18 still black screen on post. Tried the ram each set alone and both work that way. So I might be stuck buying another matching pair and selling one set of these?

Also, ordered a bunch (100) of Capacitors (.68 mfd 35v 10%) for my k7193. Hopefully, that will fix the fold over problem I have. If anyone needs a couple let me know. I should have them in a week or so.

I have also figured out an issue with my Layout. There truly isn't enough room around my left joystick plus the carriage bolts sticking out are annoying. Probably have to make the panel and box bigger. I noticed this while playing tapper the other day.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
Might want to order a set of 2gb MODULES instead of another 2x1GB -- It could be the MOBO has a hard time using all 4 modules (I remember several ddr2 MOBOs that had that problem but can't recall specifically which ones) but if purchasing new modules it might be better to buy a 2x2GB set and sell all 4 of the 1GB ones -- You can pick up a set of G-skill 2x2GB for around $55 where the corsair xms2 2x1GB sets are around $45 so not much more to get another brand 2x2GB set and that way you will not have the same problem if it is indeed the MOBO not liking all 4 slots filled. (It just seems odd that it won't boot with the 2 sets but will work with either set on it's own so that makes me wonder if it is the MOBO and not the RAM modules that is the problem  :dunno )

EDIT :  Just searched for your MOBO and problem using 4 Ram slots filled and came across this thread at Anandtech ( http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=237145 ) so it might be the MOBO not liking all 4 slots filled !!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:12:10 pm by JDFan »