Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 12V Coin Meter Wiring Advice (Another Thread)  (Read 3518 times)

boomstick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 04:35:07 pm
    • James Clay Photography
12V Coin Meter Wiring Advice (Another Thread)
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:37:27 pm »
Well, as the title states, im hoping someone can offer a little advice on wiring a 12V coin Meter.

I have had a good search through the forums, and have read the threads by the following people:

clhug - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=52711.0

mountain - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=65671.0

Jdurg - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=78221.0

I've found them quite helpfull indead, but im not 100% up on my electronics I'm afraid. I like DaOld Man's circuits proposed in Jdurg's thread using Optoisolators, but am not confident in their application or calculating required resistors.  I have been able to come up with a few ideas, but am unsure as to whether or not they will work.

Here is what hardware i have, to build the circuit i was thinking of using, without having to buy extra components:

• 12Vdc Coin Meter (With NO Protection Diode Fitted)
  • 2 x DPDT 12V Relays - (In the circuit, only one pole and one NO connection will be used, so diagram depicts SPDP)
  • IPAC4
  • A Selection of Diodes (1N4001, 1N4148 and a few others)

Here is what I want to do:

Wire the 12V Coin Meter to increment +1 for each coin deposited in EITHER Coin 1 or Coin 2, while keeping the IPAC coin signals electrically seperate, and protected from the 12V supply.  I realise this would be alot easier with a 4.5V-6V meter, but as yet haven't been able to source one (UK), although the kind chaps at Gremlinsolutions are on the case, but are quite busy atm.

So I've attached an image of the circuit i've come up with, but have my doubts whether or not I've got the circuit right, so any input would be greatly appriciated!

The Diode across the the Counter + & - is a Protection Diode.  Ive shown diodes across the coils of the relays (as protection diodes), but are unsure if their polarity is correct, or if they are truely needed.

The Diodes attached to the NO connectections of the two Coin Switches are intended to direct and restrict current flow.

So, my question is, will the circuit work, or have i gone way off course? Is my diode placement and polarity correct?

Any advice will be greatly appriciated!
Cheers, boomstick
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:39:53 pm by boomstick »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: 12V Coin Meter Wiring Advice (Another Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:52:51 pm »
Your protection diodes on the relays for the ipac look like they are reversed.

boomstick

• Offline Offline
    • James Clay Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:21:33 am »
Thanks for the reply BobA.

Im at work atm so can't easily edit the circuit diagram.  So your saying I should reverse the two protection diodes across the relay coils.  Other than that, I take it you think the circuit is OK and should work as intended?

Out of interest, do you have any advice on the correct diodes to use. I was thinking of using 1N4001 diodes on the NO coin switches to direct/restrict current flow.  As for the protection diodes across the relays and counter, i've seen several site suggesting 1N4148 (Signal) and others suggest 1N4001 / 1N4004 (rectifiers) for this application.

Cheers

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:51:43 am »
1N4001 diodes will work fine for this application.

The relays you have for coin 1 and 2 at the ipac will not trigger. You have one side of the coils wired to the ground output of the switch and the other side of the coils wired to ground from your power source.

I think your use of relays and isolation diodes is a little overkill. The isolation diodes at the coin switches should be plenty. You can just wire direct to the ipac coin input and bypass the relays.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:56:05 am by mountain »

boomstick

• Offline Offline
    • James Clay Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:02:20 am »
Cheers Moutain.

I was unsure about if the relays would trigger myself.  I was including them to keep the IPAC completely seperate from the 12V.

If i remove the relays, your saying the isolation diodes at the two coin switches should limit the voltage and current that reaches the IPAC?  If i did this, would i have to tie the IPAC Ground into the ground of the 12V power source somehow?

I've been trying for a while to get this straight in my head, but seem to be getting myself more and more confused as time goes by.  My main worry is frying my IPAC with too much current, hense the overkill (with relays that wont actually work  :banghead:).  If i can, I'd like to keep the relays in place if i can get them to fire, if not just for my own comfort and peace of mind, knowing that my ipac is completely seperate.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:05:08 am by boomstick »

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:05:55 am »
Mountain is right.  You relays feeding the ipac have both sides of the coil at GND when the no coin switch closes.   The relay coils connections where the anode of your diodes are placed should go to +V.  I was looking at the -V there and figured that the protection diodes were backwards.  If you change to +V then the diodes are properly placed for protection.  I always use 1n400* series for protection.   Usually I have 4003 or 4004s around so that is what I use.  I would use the isolation as I don't think the ipac is made for 12V since it is a 5V device.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:23:45 am »
Relays are overkill for this.  You could do the same thing with properly rated transistors.
If you want to use relays and want a relatively plug and play solution I have this available:
http://www.nicemite.com/PowermiteDD/PowermiteDD.htm
(you would need the 2xLO version)
Just let me know if you want some extra diodes, they are cheap and I'll throw them in for free.
I may be putting together a product for this in the future that will handle up to 4 coin switches.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:34 pm »
Great little device Whammoed. :applaud: :applaud:

boomstick

• Offline Offline
    • James Clay Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:24:26 am »
Cheers whammoed, interesting and usefull little solution you have their!  Thanks for the offer.
I think i have it sorted with relay solution that will work now, just in the middle of soldering it up at the moment, so fingers crossed it should work.  If not, i might well be in touch re your solution above.

If it works, ill post back with details