Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sounds cuts out in Xmame  (Read 4491 times)

escher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long
Sounds cuts out in Xmame
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:24:10 pm »
Just what the topic says.  I'm using Wah!cade, though I've tested it straight from the command line and the same thing happens.  Sometimes it'll be a minute into a game, sometimes it'll be 10, but at some point the sound always completely cuts out.  I've tried searching around, but everything I'm finding is either mame related (not xmame) or extremely ancient.

The command I'm running, with all arguments, is:

xmame -jt 1 -jdev /dev/input/js0 -fullscreen -vidmod 1 [game]

I'm still sort of new at Linux, though I know my way around a bash shell just fine.  Any suggestions?

escher

• Offline Offline
Re: Sounds cuts out in Xmame
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:05:29 am »
Well, I've switched over to SDLMAME, and I still have sound issues.  This time, it's just that everything is very crackly, but I haven't had it cut out on me...

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 05:04:54 pm
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:00 am »
a similar thing happened to me, but in DOS and using advancemame. i used an all-in-one mobo with built-in everything. everything works fine until i load big games (kof2003, mslug5) and then there is no sound anymore, even after i comeback to advmenu.

for some reasons, i solved it when i used a separate video card. i don't know if it work the same with linux.

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:59 am »
I have found the same with SDLMame.  I tried it on several computers (both Linux and Windows XP), but I found the sound to be really crackly.  Unfortunately I did not find a fix to the problem, although the version I'm using is likely several months old at this point.  I was actually planning on switching to XMame, since an old version of XMame that I used to use did not have sound problems.

Quinny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2014, 07:52:07 am
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:12 am »
This maybe isn't helpful but I had issues in Ubuntu getting my onboard gfx to work (it was very slow). Once I got this sorted, the sound in sdlmame was delayed by split seconds and was very frustrating. I tinkered with the sound and reduced the sound delay but could not get rid of it completely.

If you are having issues with sound in sdlmame, how is the sound output from the O/S? Are there any other apps that can play sound that you could test with?

Also, my sound delay issue was with pulseaudio. I followed some instructions to disable it and to use alsa. I am using onboard sound too.

bloodyviking77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2010, 07:01:38 am
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:24:46 am »
Well, I've switched over to SDLMAME, and I still have sound issues.  This time, it's just that everything is very crackly, but I haven't had it cut out on me...

what version of SDLMAME are you running and on what hardware?

I've found that as the hardware requirements of newer versions of MAME (since about .106) have steadily outstripped my supply of free/salvaged/junk PCs that I have used for my cabs.

If your hardware is on the aged side, I'd suggest trying an older version of SDLMAME, or alternatively AdvanceMAME.
Shut up! Bloody Vikings!!

escher

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »

what version of SDLMAME are you running and on what hardware?

I've found that as the hardware requirements of newer versions of MAME (since about .106) have steadily outstripped my supply of free/salvaged/junk PCs that I have used for my cabs.

If your hardware is on the aged side, I'd suggest trying an older version of SDLMAME, or alternatively AdvanceMAME.

Yeah, I eventually gave up.  I pretty much trace all my problems to being an early Athlon 64 chip and an ATi video card.  Everything works fine under WinXP, so that's what I'm using for now.  When I rebuild the machine (hopefully soon), I'm going to be more careful in my hardware choices.

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:12:17 pm »
On recent distros based on PulseAudio crackling and other sound issues in SDLMAME can generally be resolved with either "-audiodriver alsa" or "-audiodriver esd".